• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thoughts on splitting stay between Disney and Universal?

Summer-Caitlin

DIS Veteran
Previously I stayed at Disney for 14 nights then Universal for 4 (Crowne Plaza). The last time we went to Disney we stayed the whole time on Disney property but didn't go to Universal. I am now looking at 14 nights Disney and 3 nights Universal (Hard Rock) so I can benefit from the fast passes and proximity. We are looking to go 7th November 2014 so would likely go for the first 3 days rather than tag it on at the end.

The thing is I am wondering if it is worth it? It would mean I would have to pay for dining outside of Disney (unless I buy the Universal Dining Plan) and obviously moving for/after 3 days with a toddler might be more hassle than it's worth. We don't drive though so I don't know the easiest way to get to Universal if we choose to stay at Disney the whole time. I have got a good price for 17 nights at Disney with DDP but as I think we will end up going to Universal for at least 2 days considered staying there instead.

What do you think?:confused3

We've done split stays twice with two children ,and IMHO have not found it a hassle at all.Last trip we did Universal first and stayed for 4 night which was probably too long.We packed a separate Universal suit case so i only had to unpack 1 case.Im glad we did it for the Express Passes,but we went at the end of May and it was quite busy,i'm not sure that November would be as busy as that but i'm someone will know on here.On trips were we've done Universal and not stayed we got a taxi from Disney.It was totally stress free (we dont drive over there either) and i seem to remember it costing about $35 each way.

Dining in Universal can be as cheap or expensive as you want.We ate at Bubba Gumps which was expensive but worth it, then we ate at Pasta More (both on CityWalk) which was a lot cheaper but still very good food.Have you thought of booking Club Level at the hotel?We did this at the Royal Pacific,they serve a great selection of breakfast things,they have snacks and drinks available lunch time onwards and then serve a hot and cold buffet each evening which also includes bottled beer,wine and soft drinks.

Previously I stayed at Disney for 14 nights then Universal for 4 (Crowne Plaza). The last time we went to Disney we stayed the whole time on Disney property but didn't go to Universal. I am now looking at 14 nights Disney and 3 nights Universal (Hard Rock) so I can benefit from the fast passes and proximity. We are looking to go 7th November 2014 so would likely go for the first 3 days rather than tag it on at the end.

The thing is I am wondering if it is worth it? It would mean I would have to pay for dining outside of Disney (unless I buy the Universal Dining Plan) and obviously moving for/after 3 days with a toddler might be more hassle than it's worth. We don't drive though so I don't know the easiest way to get to Universal if we choose to stay at Disney the whole time. I have got a good price for 17 nights at Disney with DDP but as I think we will end up going to Universal for at least 2 days considered staying there instead.

What do you think?:confused3

Well if one of the factors is for the fast passes then I wouldn't worry. Its so not busy when you are going at the beginning of November. If you do US first thing it is empty! Everybody heads to IOA first thing. then it empties out a bit in the afternoons. TBH you could fit both parks in on one day if you know what you want to do and what you don't want to do, which I am assuming you do as you've been before. You can get a Mears transfer from your Disney hotel as well as the taxi. But obviously if you are going to do US/IOA over a few days then the transfers are really going to add up. You can bus it very cheaply but its SOOOOO time consuming unless you get a bus to Wet and Wild then walk across the bridge to the resort, but it still takes time! Personally if I was def going to do the parks for a few days then I would consider staying on that resort. :)

I hate split stays - sorry.

We have done several since having DD and now I won't. We like to get settled. I just find it disruptive having to pack up and move.

When DD was young I missed having a room for her to nap in the day of the move too as at DVC resorts check in is not till 4 so you can't guarantee a room before then.

If we want to stay anywhere else now we go mid stay and keep our main room.

This year we did a night at the beach and just took an overnight bag. We are doing 2 nights next year and will do the same again.

Last time we did 2 days I think but that was when it was just the two of us and there were less things to do, so could rush around etc. We just got back from DLRP and spent 4 days there and even then it wasn't long enough with a 2 year old as we had to factor in rest periods, favorite rides etc. My concern is the adding up of all the transfers, taxis etc, it makes me think it might just be better spending a few nights at Universal right off the bat, plus I have never stayed onsite as such and the hotels there do get great reviews.

I see Universal do a deal where you stay for 4 nights and can add on the dining plan etc and the price for this year seems quite reasonable. Hmmm, maybe I should go for 18 nights then, LOL

I love love love split stays. We have just done 15 nights 3 at OKW, 6 at Treehouses, 2 at Kidani and 4 and BLT. We also had the cheapest room at Hard Rock for 2 nights while we were at Treehouses to get the passes and it worked a treat. I would totally split for 3 nights it isn't that much hassle and frankly after 14 nights we would be heart sick if Disney dining.

When we are going next year we are doing 11 nights at OKW and then 3 nights at hard rock - we have done split stays in the past and its no hassle at all. We reckon that the front of line passes will be worth their weight in gold this time.

So definitely thinking of splitting the stay now. Unfortunately Universal package prices aren't out yet so I have to book my Disney portion first and tag it on at the beginning of our holiday. Probably thinking of 3/4 nights with dining as I see Universal offer packages for this.

We have done a few split stays (next year is 9 nights International Drive and 12 Nights Disney). Our first split with our DD was when she just turned 3. We did 5 nights I Drive, 7 Disney and 4 Renaissance at Seaworld. It really wasnt too much of a hassle. When we packed for the final move, most of our stuff never got unpacked as we knew how much we would need.

I would say if you want to do three days, do it at the end so you can pack up most of your belongings with no need to unpack them.

Sometimes the Universal Hotels come up on Groupon and you can book a cheap night or two so it wouldnt be too costly to have a full booking at Disney and just come away with a smallish bag for a few nights.

Disney are really good with their bookings so maybe the best starting option is to book the full stay at Disney and then you can drop days within any penalty and at least guarantee you stay in the same room.

We have done a few split stays (next year is 9 nights International Drive and 12 Nights Disney). Our first split with our DD was when she just turned 3. We did 5 nights I Drive, 7 Disney and 4 Renaissance at Seaworld. It really wasnt too much of a hassle. When we packed for the final move, most of our stuff never got unpacked as we knew how much we would need.

I would say if you want to do three days, do it at the end so you can pack up most of your belongings with no need to unpack them.

Sometimes the Universal Hotels come up on Groupon and you can book a cheap night or two so it wouldnt be too costly to have a full booking at Disney and just come away with a smallish bag for a few nights.

Disney are really good with their bookings so maybe the best starting option is to book the full stay at Disney and then you can drop days within any penalty and at least guarantee you stay in the same room.

The only drawback we experienced in doing Universal last was not having the Disney Magic anymore.We really missed the little magical touches that are everywhere in Disney.When we did Universal first though we had the Magic to look forward to,if that make sense :goodvibes

If you change your WDW booking and the overall cost reduces then you will be charged a penalty,$50 i think,but if you change and the cost increases then your fine,no charge.

The only drawback we experienced in doing Universal last was not having the Disney Magic anymore.We really missed the little magical touches that are everywhere in Disney.When we did Universal first though we had the Magic to look forward to,if that make sense :goodvibes

That is why I want to do it first. We did Universal at the end of our stay the first time and I agree, I really missed the magic of Disney so I would be looking at tagging it on to the beginning of our stay.

This is the way we do it too.... We book our entire 14 nights at Disney and then just pick up two nights at HRH from Lastminute / groupon, or wherever a good deal comes from. then we just pack a holdall for two nights. To be honest if you have car its only half hour to nip back to Disney if you forget something :)

Tony

This is the way we do it too.... We book our entire 14 nights at Disney and then just pick up two nights at HRH from Lastminute / groupon, or wherever a good deal comes from. then we just pack a holdall for two nights. To be honest if you have car its only half hour to nip back to Disney if you forget something :)

Tony

Us too, although I usually book direct using AAA or AP for discounts.
It is so easy just packing a bag for a night or two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter