thoughts on Skipper's?

prudence64

DIS Veteran
For people who have eaten there - how's the food and atmosphere? I'm having trouble finding answers in the other threads that have gotten bogged down in ADR conversation. Thanks.

Our Ratings of Skipper Canteen: (*rev 12/17/2015*)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: D
. . . food quantity per serving: C
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: D
. . . seating comfort: B
. . . eatery atmosphere: D
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: A
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a
Our Recommendations:
. . . appys:... Hot-and-Sour Soup
. . . entrée:.. Lamb Chops
. . . dessert:. Carmelized Custard
NOTE1: We were not impressed by the quality of the food. It was if someone said, "If
were build a restaurant, they will eat." Well, we ate. We didn't truly relish the food, but
we spent money, which is what Disney wants. There is a nod to countries and areas which
are on the Jungle Cruise ride, but few instances where one can recognize the food of any
specific country due to its spices or preparation.
NOTE2: This review was done during the SOFT OPENING, so food quality and CM behavior may
change in the future. Contrary to what many had thought, or hoped, there are no alcohol drinks
at Skipper Canteen. At this review, lunch and dinner has the same 1-DDP Table Service menu.

NOTE3: For a new eatery, I had thought the facility design would have more interesting and
food more unique. Although quite pleasant, there is little truly unique or fascinating. And,
even though the SERVERS continued Jungle Cruise gags, it isn't enough to warrant us going
back to the Canteen

I posted a short review in the Restaurant Reviews forum. My daughter and I liked it.

We'll probably skip the Skippers' Canteen. No booze and no TS dining in the evening are pretty much dealbreakers for my boyfriend and me.

Yes, for lunch and dinner (not open for breakfast). Same menu all day.

Yes, sorry, my question mark was for the previous poster who said the lack of TS in the evening kept her from going there...well, in addition to the alcohol (which is quite disappointing to me as well).

I was wondering if anyone has tried the seafood dishes they offer? how were they?
Also was wondering if you can ask to sit in a certain room?

Yes, sorry, my question mark was for the previous poster who said the lack of TS in the evening kept her from going there...well, in addition to the alcohol (which is quite disappointing to me as well).
My bad, I don't know why I had it in my head this was all CS! Then it's just the lack of adult beverages that will keep us away.

The quality of the food makes it look CS to me...I just can't value any of the food at those prices it looks ghastly ...and all horrible westernised interpretations of what was a meal at some time.

I hope that it does improve as I'd like to go at some time in the future. But it just doesn't look good enough for anything at the moment...

I posed this on one of the other threads:

We ate at SC on the soft opening day. It wasn't what I would call 100% perfect or our favorite, but it was a good meal.

We walked by because I wanted to see if the walls were down. It was around 12:30 and we had done breakfast at BOG earlier. My son (23) wasn't feeling great because he was taking antibiotics, so we didn't mind sitting and waiting. We were told an hour, but it was 45 mins. The restaurant is well themed and the smaller rooms are actually interesting (we ate in the main room).

We didn't order any appetizers. I got the chicken, my husband got the lamb and my son tried the pho with duck. My son and I REALLY enjoyed our food. John said the pho was really good and hit the spot. I liked the chicken - the sh1take rice had a bit of a ginger seasoning flavor to it which was a nice surprise. Very nice and outside the box for an MK restaurant. My husband didn't care for the lamb chops. He felt they were too thin (called them lamb jerky lol) and said his lentils were under-cooked. I tried the lentils and thought they were fine, however. Both my husband and son got the souvenir mugs, as well as dessert. John got the coconut thing and didn't really like it. My husband got the kungaloosh and loved it! On opening day, they were not taking DVC or AP discounts.

I think the prices were fine and in line with what we ordered. I generally don't find Disney food prices to be outrageous given that we are in a theme park. Comparing prices with other amusement parks, baseball games and football games, I think it's reasonable.

As far as "plain" food options go, if that's what someone in the party wants, then this isn't a restaurant for you (or your family member). There are places all over WDW to get burgers, nuggets, etc.

I'd eat here again and try the mac & cheese next!!!! I know my son would return for the pho. :)

but few instances where one can recognize the food of any
specific country due to its spices or preparation.
I don't think I'd consider that a good criterion to use. If they were specifically trying to create a notable dish from some region, then yes, it should be recognizable as that dish. But I see nothing wrong with fusion cuisine, or with dishes inspired by a regional cuisine without being something you'd find in that region.

For example, I really enjoyed a vegetarian sushi place in NYC. I have no idea whether any such places exist in Japan, but I certainly wasn't concerned that the absence of any fish made it inauthentic.

I just looked at the menu. I have to say I was looking forward to a themed restaurant in MK. (Haven't been to BOG yet). IMO I think MK needs to continue this trend. However I was kinda surprised when I saw the menu. I was disappointed with the choices they offered. Looking at all the pictures, it just didn't seem to fit.. Maybe its just me, we will be there in a few weeks, I will be able to get the full picture. P.S. What was in its place before? I tried to figure that out looking at maps but no luck. Merry Christmas all......

The quality of the food makes it look CS to me...I just can't value any of the food at those prices it looks ghastly ...and all horrible westernised interpretations of what was a meal at some time.

I hope that it does improve as I'd like to go at some time in the future. But it just doesn't look good enough for anything at the moment...

WOW!!! Criticizing the " quality" of food you haven't even eaten yet is unbelievable. Your intense negativity is amazing

We ate there on Sunday night.
Went to check out the wait about 2 hours before Wishes. We were told 15 min so we put our name down. It was more like 5 min. (party of 4).
We were seated in the main room.
Service was lacking, slow (something we encountered in numerous spots during our trip)
Food was quite good.
I had the Hot Sour Soup and really loved it.
DGD got the Egg Drop Soup
DD got the Head-on Shrimp, with white rice, and she really loved it
DH got Skip's Mac and Cheese and he loved his dish

I got hot tea, which seems to be something they are going to specialize in. They bring a single pot of hot water and cup and then bring a tea bag case and you can pick your options. They have a tea timer to leave with you also. It's Twinnings Tea (I think I spelled that right)

We ate here two days ago and didnt like it at all. And we are adventurous eaters. Would not spend the money to go here again.

We had lunch there yesterday. My daughters (ages 13 & 14) and I are adventurous eaters and were excited to try it out. The dining room was lovely, I can't recall the name but it had stained glass bird light fixtures. I know the restaurant has only been open 2 weeks but our waitress's skipper lines and jokes were as flat as if she'd been working there for years. I don't know if it was just a bad day but it took a very long time to get our food (the table next to us was about to miss their Fast Pass window so they didn't even have timee to eat, instead boxing up their food and taking it with them). When the food finally arrived we were disappointed. I ordered the heads-on shrimp - small portion, underwhelming and overpriced. My 14 year old ordered the mac & cheese but didn't care for it. We all tried it and finally figured out that the red sauce tasted exactly like the sauce in a can of Chef Boyardi Raviolis. My 13 year old ordered the noodle bowl and ate the noodles but the duck was undercooked and flavorless. I'm glad we were able to try it but this was a one and done experience for us; poor service, poor food quality and overpriced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter