Thoughts on purchasing Aulani with plans on staying mostly Orlando?

erika1e

Earning My Ears
I am looking at purchasing a first dvc ever. I am planning on 50 points to get my feet wet and really don't care which resort we stay at.

However, most of the time we would be staying in the WDW resorts in Orlando.

Our trips times are flexible other than no summer early fall visits (due to the heat).

I should also add we would get subsidized MF at 4.60 ish through 2062.

And, we would use our points to get either 1 or 2 studios each trip (depends on whether adult kids go with us--if so ---just go every other year.)

Thoughts? Or, is there anyone out there that has purchased Aulani and always stayed somewhere else?

I am looking at purchasing a first dvc ever. I am planning on 50 points to get my feet wet and really don't care which resort we stay at.

However, most of the time we would be staying in the WDW resorts in Orlando.

Our trips times are flexible other than no summer early fall visits (due to the heat).

I should also add we would get subsidized MF at 4.60 ish through 2062.

And, we would use our points to get either 1 or 2 studios each trip (depends on whether adult kids go with us--if so ---just go every other year.)

Thoughts? Or, is there anyone out there that has purchased Aulani and always stayed somewhere else?
Are you looking at a specific resale contract that is already qualified as a subsidized contract for Aulani? While I might buy in HI in some situations and use part time at WDW, I would not for 50 points. I'd also suggest SSR, it will be your best value for buying just to get points. You might consider a few more points though. What might be your best approach at SSR or elsewhere, would be to let the contract dictate your final number of points within the range you're looking at. 50 points will not get you one studio for a week even used at OKW or one of the other cheaper options that are not going to be available routinely such as AKV value. Even at EOY you'd be cutting it close for a full week in a studio. There are always owners at resort X who never stay there. This will be true for VGF & the Poly as well though likely to a lessor extent.

I am looking at a couple different resale contract for Aulani that have subsidized points. Would be cheaper that SSR after even a couple years due to the guaranteed MF of $4.89 and I LOVE the idea of guaranteed MF until 2066. Our stay doesn't necessarily have to be a full week---5 days or so works and 50 points would definately work for us at SSR, OKW, or AKL. I also could always bank and borrow to fit our needs for now. I am wanting to start small to get our feet wet. I am just wondering would having Aulani being our home resort still allow us to get bookings at WDW resorts and be able to find something in any resort using the 7 month windows? The only time that we cannot travel for us right now are the day after thanksgiving to the first of the year.

I am looking at a couple different resale contract for Aulani that have subsidized points. Would be cheaper that SSR after even a couple years due to the guaranteed MF of $4.89 and I LOVE the idea of guaranteed MF until 2066. Our stay doesn't necessarily have to be a full week---5 days or so works and 50 points would definately work for us at SSR, OKW, or AKL. I also could always bank and borrow to fit our needs for now. I am wanting to start small to get our feet wet. I am just wondering would having Aulani being our home resort still allow us to get bookings at WDW resorts and be able to find something in any resort using the 7 month windows? The only time that we cannot travel for us right now are the day after thanksgiving to the first of the year.
Are they really guaranteed to stay a $4.89? I find that hard to believe.

They're not guaranteed to stay at that level and are certain to increase faster than SSR. SSR will be cheaper long term. Make sure you compare to the points for rooms you can get which leaves out BWV standard and AKV value.

Dean, are you saying that even the subsidized contracts are not guaranteed to stay where they are?

Dean, are you saying that even the subsidized contracts are not guaranteed to stay where they are?
Yes, just to be less than the non subsidized. I'm not sure the formula they use off hand but I'm sure someone will have that info. I'd suggest you click on the sticky link at the top that's entitled DVC Resource Center and review the info on VB & Aulani related to subsidized vs non subsidized MF. IF they locked in the MF I'd think everyone one flock there but realistically they couldn't do that even if they wanted.

I agree - they are not fixed at that amount - just guaranteed to be less than the non-subsidized but I can't remember the formula either.

You will always get a credit, but your fees will go up every year just like all of the other DVC resorts.
Disney Vacation Club has provided an update on the status of Aulani sales and licensing, as well as clarification on aspects of the dues subsidy for current owners.

Disney Vacation Development continues to work with individual state licensing boards to resume selling points at Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas.

In late September the Orlando Sentinel reported that Disney had received approval from the state of Hawai'i to resume sales with a 33% increase in its 2011 annual dues calculation. In the weeks since that report the state of Florida has granted approval to resume sales under the revised terms. Buyers who reside in either of those states or who were present in either Florida or Hawai'i when agreeing to purchase should expect to see their contract move forward soon.

According to a Disney Vacation Club spokesperson, buyers who "entered into or received a purchase agreement" for Aulani prior to July 27, 2011 will pay the original dues of approximately $4.31 per point for 2011. Disney Vacation Development will subsidize the difference between the $4.31 figure provided at the time of purchase and the revised dues of $5.73 per point.

Early buyers will receive the annual subsidy for the duration of their Aulani ownership. Disney intends to adjust the amount of the subsidy on an annual basis to reflect increases in the total dues. Adjustments will be comparable to the rate at which dues increase on a year-to-year basis.

Disney Vacation Club intends to contact all current owners and contracted buyers regarding the dues credits and other Aulani-related issues, however state licensing requirements have thus far delayed the process.

Those who placed a deposit in Hawai'i and Florida will soon receive a notification in the mail letting them know that they can complete the Aulani purchase. Existing Aulani owners in Hawai'i and Florida will receive amended documents and a letter explaining the changes.

Members and those with purchase deposits residing in other areas will be contacted as filings in their state are accepted. The licensing and communications delay does not in any way jeopardize owners' eligibility to receive the annual dues credit.

Still unclear is how Hawai'i's Transient Accommodations Tax will be calculated. A resort's annual dues rate is one component of this state-mandated tax, which raises the question of whether early Aulani buyers will have their tax payments subsidized as well. At this time Disney Vacation Club is still researching tax implications and will communicate the policy to members at a later date.

Do not buy at Aulani unless you want to stay there. The guides are being told to push that, but it isn't in your best interest. I agree with the others, buy Saratoga if you are looking for the best deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter