Thoughts on meal sharing please

LBelle

<font color=green>I'm soooo jealos<br><font color=
Hello
We'll be heading to WDW on Sept 17th for 10 nights. This will be our 4th time being lucky enough to have the advantage of Free Dining (missed last year). Here's my question...although I know it's been asked before...how are the restaurants in regards to sharing? Don't want to upset any servers and, of course, we would tip as 3 ppl. being served, if that helps.

First off, we're 3 adults...so no kid credits and, second, I realize this cannot be done at buffets and Family style eateries. We just always end up walking out of these places so full, we can barely move! I NEVER eat 1/2 that much at home! :headache: I know, I know...we could NOT eat dessert and all but........:rotfl2:
So, here are some places I have in mind and does anybody know whether or not sharing(using 2 TS credits for 3 of us) is okay at any of them:

50's Prime Time
Turf Club
Wolf Puck's Cafe (downstairs)
Sci-Fi
Mama Melroses
ESPN
Yak & Yeti
The Plaza
Whispering Canyon

NOT sharing at our LeCellier, O'Hana or Teppan Edo dinners!
Crystal Palace and Chef Mickeys I know we have to use 3 TS for buffets

Thanks for your help!

I think I have some advice..We have 4 kids, 6 of us total, and yes, we share..especially the kids. Relating to food courts, because we havent dined sit down on site, its a must. My wife was hesitant this trip, but I began to demand it. or , rather, HIGHLY emphasize it. The meals have a lot of food, and they are quite costly. At the table service joints, I imagine moreso. So, yes, the kids share. I order something very lite, and when my wife decides she's eaten her fill, I scavenge the rest. Sounds odd, but its quite expensive and wasteful to do otherwise.
I work in a restaurant and from that perspective I can tell you that MANY people, especially these days, are sharing. It is not uncommon at all for a couple to go in and ask for an extra plate. Its not my business, and unless Ive been at a buffet, Ive never seen it requested that people dont share.
My way of easing the idea on my wife was to reassure her that if the kids were still hungry, i would definitely go back and get another meal. but even with them sharing, there was STILL food to pitch. So i never had to go back.
I wouldnt feel bad trying it if I were you. Unless there is a policy against it, I would think the server is not supposed to judge what your tip will be, based on getting one meal. If u feel descriminated against, I would talk to a manager. How about smacking down the tip BEFORE you order. Lay a 20 on the table, and dont say a word. See how the server treats you then..
Good Luck!

If you were not on the DDP, there would not be a problem.

Being on the dining plan, though, I believe they do have rules about sharing. Children under 3 may share food from their parents plates. Guests ages 3+ can not share meals when using dining credits to pay.

If you were not on the DDP, there would not be a problem.

Being on the dining plan, though, I believe they do have rules about sharing. Children under 3 may share food from their parents plates. Guests ages 3+ can not share meals when using dining credits to pay.

This is not true. Being on the DDP has nothing to do with being able to share. We use the DDP several times a year and have never had a problem sharing. The only problem the OP might have is that you can not share the all you can eat skillet at Whispering Canyon (or the bottomless milkshakes) and if you are doing the Fantasmic pkg at Mama Melrose, everyone would have to use a credit. Also at any restaurant you may not be able to order any appetizer or dessert made for two as they take 2 credtis to order (unless you ordered one for all three people--using 2 credits to do so, in other words).

From all reports on this board, it appears Beaches and Cream is the only restaurant that consistently does not permit DDP guests to share entrees.

The rule is against sharing your meals with people who are not on the dining plan. There appears to be no broad prohibition to sharing meals among your dining plan party, with the obvious exception of buffets and family style all you can eat restaurants (plus the skillet entree at Whispering Canyon).

Thanks so much guys! I pretty much thought that was the case. :thumbsup2

My DH and I used the DDP in 2006 and used 2 credits for Flying Fish and California Grill-we then shared a meal in between using 1 credit. Wolfgang Puck's Cafe I remember sharing dinner and it was plenty of food for both us-especially after a larger meal the night before. When our daughter was still at home and traveling with us she and I often shared meals-traveling in the summer we never wanted alot of food-and there was always room for ice-cream later! :)

From all reports on this board, it appears Beaches and Cream is the only restaurant that consistently does not permit DDP guests to share entrees.

The rule is against sharing your meals with people who are not on the dining plan. There appears to be no broad prohibition to sharing meals among your dining plan party, with the obvious exception of buffets and family style all you can eat restaurants (plus the skillet entree at Whispering Canyon).

this might answer my question...

here's our situation:
family of 5, 4 of us on the DDP. our oldest is in college, and will be joining us (in a separate, room only reservation) for a few days over his Fall break. I was unclear as to whether or not we could have a meal using our 4 credits and have all of us share the food. Sounds like we can't.

You may be able to share food, just order him a beverage and an appetizer or something and the rest of you order your meals. He can eat from your plates, except a buffet or all you can eat!

You may be able to share food, just order him a beverage and an appetizer or something and the rest of you order your meals. He can eat from your plates, except a buffet or all you can eat!
I hadn't thought about that -- he's asked to go to Sci-Fi, so I'll ask the server when we get there what's allowed. Seems like the best way to go. :)

I'm not planning on doing many TS meals when he's with us, anyway. He wants to spend his time wisely, since he only has 3 days and hasn't been in over a year. I don't think he considers sit-down meals a good use of his time. LOL

We always share food. NEVER an issue.
My wife and i split a coke....we ask for an empty glass and then split it up...with free refills, we always get plenty soda for the price of one.
Also, our kids ALWAYS split meals if they arent extra hungry.
Still, they end up VERY full.
Folks need to do whatever to save $$ on vacation.

We always share food. NEVER an issue.
My wife and i split a coke....we ask for an empty glass and then split it up...with free refills, we always get plenty soda for the price of one.
Also, our kids ALWAYS split meals if they arent extra hungry.
Still, they end up VERY full.
Folks need to do whatever to save $$ on vacation.

we do the same... actually, we do the same whether we're on vacation or not. I cannot stand to see food go to waste, which is exactly what happens with my eyesarebiggerthanherstomach DD.

my question isn't really as much whether or not the sharing is allowed, it's how I'm paying for it because we're on the DDP. At this point, the only meal where it's a concern will be Sci-Fi. We might do Chef Mickey's, but I know we'll be paying OOP there.

I'm very surprised they would let you do this. It's like going to a buffet and telling the server you and your wife are sharing a meal. I wouldn't feel right about doing that.

However, as for splitting a meal that is not all you can eat, I see no problem with it. Especially since the OP mentioned he would tip as though all 3 people ordered a meal. Although I never split a TS meal, I did split several CS meals with DD. She's not a big eater and I was still throwing away food with us sharing. I used a lot of her CS credits to buy her breakfast at the hotel since she'll usually eat breakfast foods. I'd get something for myself just using a snack credit. Then I'd use the adult CS credits to get one lunch and we'd share it.

I hadn't thought about that -- he's asked to go to Sci-Fi, so I'll ask the server when we get there what's allowed. Seems like the best way to go. :)

I'm not planning on doing many TS meals when he's with us, anyway. He wants to spend his time wisely, since he only has 3 days and hasn't been in over a year. I don't think he considers sit-down meals a good use of his time. LOL

We went to Sci Fi in January, a group of 11 with some on Deluxe, some on Regular and 2 paying OOP. The servers didn't care at all how we divided the food. Everyone got drinks and we split the appetizers from the people on the Deluxe with everyone and then sandwiches were split for the 2 not on any plan.

LOL I think we share at every restaurant, especially the sides and desserts -- just like at home, no two of our meals look exactly the same -- the veggies always come to me. :goodvibes

This is not true. Being on the DDP has nothing to do with being able to share. We use the DDP several times a year and have never had a problem sharing. The only problem the OP might have is that you can not share the all you can eat skillet at Whispering Canyon (or the bottomless milkshakes) and if you are doing the Fantasmic pkg at Mama Melrose, everyone would have to use a credit. Also at any restaurant you may not be able to order any appetizer or dessert made for two as they take 2 credtis to order (unless you ordered one for all three people--using 2 credits to do so, in other words).

Both of these posters are correct. :thumbsup2

this might answer my question...

here's our situation:
family of 5, 4 of us on the DDP. our oldest is in college, and will be joining us (in a separate, room only reservation) for a few days over his Fall break. I was unclear as to whether or not we could have a meal using our 4 credits and have all of us share the food. Sounds like we can't.

The actual rule that comes into play here is that you would not be able to use any of your DDP credits to get food for your son. You can purchase his meal OOP, or share your meals with him.

We are going in December and I'm getting the Deluxe Dining Plan. We plan to eat at Citricos, Hoop Dee Doo and CRT...which I know all use 2 credits. We'll eat breakfast in the room before we leave. I also plan to do 50s Prime Time Cafe and The Wave...so that leaves me with one meal credit and two lunches to fill!

Question...What about the QS meals? I know me and the hubby can split something..but are the kids portions too small to split? I don't remember what the offer for kids at QS counters... :)

We are going in December and I'm getting the Deluxe Dining Plan. We plan to eat at Citricos, Hoop Dee Doo and CRT...which I know all use 2 credits. We'll eat breakfast in the room before we leave. I also plan to do 50s Prime Time Cafe and The Wave...so that leaves me with one meal credit and two lunches to fill!

Question...What about the QS meals? I know me and the hubby can split something..but are the kids portions too small to split? I don't remember what the offer for kids at QS counters... :)

Actually, I find the kids' meals at the CS restaurants to often be just the right size for me (but I never get the nuggets or fries) and sometimes I save the sides for later. When DD gets the kids' meal, she always saves the sides for later.

My daughter and I are going down to visit my other daughter who is in the college program. We have the dining plan and my other daughter is obviously staying at her apartment when we are there. Question: When we go out to use our TS meals am I understanding that one of us could share our dinner with her even though she is not on the dining plan? Do you ask your waitress if you can do this or what? She gets a discount so it wouldn't be an issue paying for hers but some of those meals are so huge it woud be nice so share and save some money at the same time.

Disney wants people who are not on the dining plan to buy their own meals. It's a complete gray area as to sharing an entree with someone not on the dining plan - but if the deal is to feed both people off one credit, it's probably well estimated that Disney prefers you don't do that, since they have a rule where you can't share your credits.

Ordering something small for your visitor and then having them taste some of your meal does not sound like a problem.

That's what I was thinking. Actually we were thinking of just using one of our credits and then having pay for the other one and share it if possible....or just use our dining plan have her get a small dinner then take the left overs (which I am sure we will have plenty of) back to her apartment to have later...poor college student ya know and disney leftovers are probably heaven to her:) Thanks for the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter