Thoughts on late-mid-August?

Dug720

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
Pondering changing to a WDW trip 8/18-26... I know it will be hot and muggy - one advantage of that long is I can take my time and not have to do it all commando-style, plus I'd plan in a DS day and a resort day. Beyond that, what are the hive's thoughts on that time?

We have been three times before, and are planning another late August trip for 2017 (last two weeks of August). We really like that time of year as the crowds are a little lower (many students back at school) and the heat does not bother us too much. Most of the time, you will be going in and out of air conditioning when going on attractions. Like you said, you have plenty of time (we like to stay 8 nights too) and you can take your time. Resort days are excellent as well and we would just stay by the pool and explore the areas around our chosen resort. I say go for it!

Thanks.

Anyone have thoughts on the latter part of August vs. Presidents' Week? I remember that week as being pretty nuts...

Thanks.

Anyone have thoughts on the latter part of August vs. Presidents' Week? I remember that week as being pretty nuts...

EDIT: We actually did Presidents week but in DL. It was definitely busy for sure, but don't know how that would translate to WDW. I'M guessing it would be pretty busy.:confused3

Mid-late August is actually manageable but very very hot & humid. Also, if you're not used to having any rain on your previous trips, then be forewarned...It is hurricane season, so you never know. Plus you'll get those afternoon quick hitters than usually aren't too much of a nuisance.

EDIT: We actually did Presidents week but in DL. It was definitely busy for sure, but don't know how that would translate to WDW. I'M guessing it would be pretty busy.:confused3

Mid-late August is actually manageable but very very hot & humid. Also, if you're not used to having any rain on your previous trips, then be forewarned...It is hurricane season, so you never know. Plus you'll get those afternoon quick hitters than usually aren't too much of a nuisance.

Yeah... I have a cruise on the Fantasy booked right now, but am seriously contemplating postponing THAT until Presidents' Week (I can book on board the Magic this coming Presidents' Week to save a little PLUS get some OBC) and doing WDW for the August time frame since the airfare is bought.

Yeah... I have a cruise on the Fantasy booked right now, but am seriously contemplating postponing THAT until Presidents' Week (I can book on board the Magic this coming Presidents' Week to save a little PLUS get some OBC) and doing WDW for the August time frame since the airfare is bought.
There ya go.... Sounds like a plan.

I usually book an August trip, if & when I upgrade to AP's the Jersey Week prior to that..*( If that makes any sense ) Therefore insuring 2 trips within 12 actually months.

Although we did due Jersey week 3 weeks ago, we did upgrade & took advantage of the extra month for the AP's. Thus allowing for us to revisit during Jersey week next year, and not having to worry bout tickets again.

We're also going to get a short 3 night trip in WDW mid-late August at the tail end of a Family vacay in P.R.
Maybe I'll see ya down there..LoL

We've done mid-late August six times, going again this August. Mainly because it's the only time we can go. But despite the heat, we LOVE this time of year! Low crowds, lots of pool time.

I like the middle to late part of August. You still get long summer hours at the parks, but the crowds are starting to die down some from the summer peaks. If you are limited to the summer months to visit, this is probably the best time you can choose.

We've done mid-late August six times, going again this August. Mainly because it's the only time we can go. But despite the heat, we LOVE this time of year! Low crowds, lots of pool time.
Have you ever been early August? Our trip is planned for 7/30-8/6 with a couple days at universal. I have never gone to Disney during the summer and i'm worried about the crowd (not so much the heat). I could try and push the trip back a week later if that would make a difference in crowds but it doesn't seem like one week is that different. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Have you ever been early August? Our trip is planned for 7/30-8/6 with a couple days at universal. I have never gone to Disney during the summer and i'm worried about the crowd (not so much the heat). I could try and push the trip back a week later if that would make a difference in crowds but it doens't seem like one week is that different. What are your thoughts?

Hi! We've never been that early to Disney. But we do Universal around early August every year before Disney. Sorry I can't speak to crowds then.. But if I had to guess I'd say mid to late is better, because the locals go back to school then.

Decided to go for it! :) All booked for AKL!!

Its my favorite time to go. Just bring some ponchos with you for the showers which send many packing = low/no lines for you. Also, plan for midday pool breaks because the heat is brutal.

We went August 6th to August 30th in 2015. We did find that the crowds dropped down the farther we got into August. About the 15th is generally the turning point for crowds. This was my 3rd August trip in the last decade or so and the same has been true for all of them.

We went the last week in August of this year and we loved it. Yes, it's hotter than a sauna on the surface of the sun. But as long as you go in expecting that, and you go slowly, dress appropriately, etc., then there's a lot to like about the time. It's less crowded which was awesome awesome awesome, and most attractions and shows are still up and running. Hours are good too. The only issue might be a couple of headliner refurbishments going on. If it's your first trip, that might be a dealbreaker. This year we missed out on small world, big thunder, and dinosaur. But we have APs and have been before, so we were ok with it. I would say the refurbishment's are probably the most important thing to consider, even above the weather.

We went 16th August for about 10 days and I agree with others above. There are still crowds but its much less than earlier in August, it's still very hot which can tire you out so plan for breaks even if it's an attraction with A/C. You still get lots of daylight at that time but bank on some rain in the afternoon. I can be anything from a light drizzle to a sudden thunderstorm. We were in Universal one afternoon and they shutdown down the rides for a bit because of a thundershower.

It's a great time to go so I'm sure you'll have a blast.

We booked a surprise trip for 8/20-8/27! I'm hoping we can survive the heat, I'll be looking for any tips and tricks to make it bearable.

I've been in late August twice and during President's Week twice. Crowds are much less during late August, but it is very hot. We do a lot of pool time and take advantage of air-conditioned attractions, rope drop, and later nights at the parks to avoid the heat. Plus, we take HydroFlask water bottles and neoprene carriers to make sure we have ice cold water with us at all times. We also do a full day at a water park--it is the best!

We've been in mid-late August a few times and I enjoy it. Sure, it's hot, but it FEELS like a summer vacation. The prices drop, the crowds drop, but the parks are open long hours. Personally, I find June to *feel* worse heat-wise. August is humid, but the direct sun in June feels like it's literally cooking the skin off your bones.

We did late August through Labor Day this year for the first time, and loved it! Yes it was hot, but crowds were some of the lowest I've seen in years until the Saturday before Labor day, when suddenly it was so packed there was a 40 minute wait for Stitch (thats when you know its bad)!

That used to be our go to time of the year, my son didn't start school until after Labor Day and it wasn't crowded. Now I normally go the first week of F&W (dates are dictated by my AP expiration date). It is hot and it is wet but other than that, we loved it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter