Thoughts on Itinerary

disney0210

Yes, I'm a disneyholic.
Hello everyone!

I was hoping I can get some input on this itinerary. We are checking in to our rental near Hawaii Kai around 10PM on a Sunday so that day is a write off. We want to go sightseeing & visit some beaches from Monday to Friday, before we check in to Aulani Friday PM. Here goes:

Monday:
(AM) Kualoa Ranch Secret Island Beach Tour 9AM
(Early PM) Dole Plantation, then try Giovanni's Shrimp & Matsumoto Shave Ice
(Late PM) Laniakea Beach for turtle spotting only
If Byodo-in Temple is still open when we come back, great. If not, another day maybe.

Tuesday:
(AM) Waikiki Beach Area (if I put Byodo-in Temple here instead, would that be too much of a travel to Makani?)
(12:30 - 3PM) Makani Catamaran Afternoon Sail
(Rest of Day) Waikiki Beach Area, anything goes

Wednesday :
(AM) Kualoa Ranch Movie Sites Tour 9:15AM
(Rest of Day) Polynesian Cultural Center, Ali'i Luau & Show

Thursday:
(Early AM) Hanauma Bay (hopefully there before 7AM), spend maybe 2-2.5 hours
(Late AM) Halona Blowhole, Halona Cove
(PM) Makapu'u Lookout / Makapu'u Point Lighthouse Trail, Waimanalo Beach

Friday:
(AM) Check out of rental unit (could probably do Byodo-in after check out, and before Aulani, but looking online and does not sound like a good idea to leave all our stuff in the parked car while in the temple)
(PM) Check in to Aulani

I'm sure there are a lot of experts here. Looking forward to some pointers. TIA!

I think your best bet for Byodo-In is going to be Tues in the AM. It will probably be closed by the time you're done on the North Shore on Monday and as you mentioned, leaving luggage in your car can be dicey.

The only other option is if you try to go on Friday morning before your checkout time but that might be a little stressful.

Other than that it looks like you have a fun trip planned! I'm not sure if this is your first trip to Oahu or not but be prepared to pay a lot for parking. Also give yourself plenty of time to get from place to place, especially for things that are scheduled like your Kualoa tours.

If you're looking for a place to eat lunch on Wednesday before the PCC, there's a Seven Brothers Burgers in Laie that has fantastic (and interesting) burgers.

I think your best bet for Byodo-In is going to be Tues in the AM. It will probably be closed by the time you're done on the North Shore on Monday and as you mentioned, leaving luggage in your car can be dicey.

The only other option is if you try to go on Friday morning before your checkout time but that might be a little stressful.

Other than that it looks like you have a fun trip planned! I'm not sure if this is your first trip to Oahu or not but be prepared to pay a lot for parking. Also give yourself plenty of time to get from place to place, especially for things that are scheduled like your Kualoa tours.

If you're looking for a place to eat lunch on Wednesday before the PCC, there's a Seven Brothers Burgers in Laie that has fantastic (and interesting) burgers.

Thank you! Other than the beaches, or the lookout points, and Makani - would parking not be free in Kualoa, PCC and Byodo-in? Forgot to mention, yes, first time in Oahu, and also using the Go Oahu 4-day card. I was hoping to squeeze in another Kualoa tour here - the Fishpond & Ocean Voyage Tour - but too many places, so little time. We're really trying to not have to leave Aulani (except maybe for food) once we check in. We have another 5 days in Aulani.

Thank you! Other than the beaches, or the lookout points, and Makani - would parking not be free in Kualoa, PCC and Byodo-in? Forgot to mention, yes, first time in Oahu, and also using the Go Oahu 4-day card. I was hoping to squeeze in another Kualoa tour here - the Fishpond & Ocean Voyage Tour - but too many places, so little time. We're really trying to not have to leave Aulani (except maybe for food) once we check in. We have another 5 days in Aulani.
Parking is free at Kualoa and PCC, but I’m not sure about Byodo. I was referring more to the Waikiki/Honolulu area with lots of parking charges. And of course, Aulani (unless you are using or renting DVC points).

We used Go Oahu and we loved it!

It looks like your plan is similar to what ours was- explore the rest of the island, then get our money’s worth out of Aulani.

I don't know everything on your list, but day 1 seems like you have way too much going on as I have done those things. Kualoa is great but its on the eastern shore which is an hour drive from Aulani, I haven't done the beach tour but it seems like its just playing on the beach to be honest. We did the catamaran which sails you across the fish pond to the beach where you then get on the catamaran and go out for a ride. We saw the beach people and it didn't seem that worthwhile. Then you have to drive back to the central portion for Dole Plantation which is like a 50 minute drive. Then you want to drive to the North shore after that which seems easy its only a 15 minute drive but Giovannis could have like a 45 minute long line up (plus it may be hard to find a parking spot too) and Matsumotos will likely have a line up also, and then another 45 minute drive back to Aulani...then you are driving an hour back to Kualoa 2 days later? I assume thats to do both things with the go Oahu card...I would just go once and do one thing or if you want to do both just pay for the other one.

I don't know everything on your list, but day 1 seems like you have way too much going on as I have done those things. Kualoa is great but its on the eastern shore which is an hour drive from Aulani, I haven't done the beach tour but it seems like its just playing on the beach to be honest. We did the catamaran which sails you across the fish pond to the beach where you then get on the catamaran and go out for a ride. We saw the beach people and it didn't seem that worthwhile. Then you have to drive back to the central portion for Dole Plantation which is like a 50 minute drive. Then you want to drive to the North shore after that which seems easy its only a 15 minute drive but Giovannis could have like a 45 minute long line up (plus it may be hard to find a parking spot too) and Matsumotos will likely have a line up also, and then another 45 minute drive back to Aulani...then you are driving an hour back to Kualoa 2 days later? I assume thats to do both things with the go Oahu card...I would just go once and do one thing or if you want to do both just pay for the other one.

The first part of the trip, which is the sightseeing portion - we are in a rental near Hawaii Kai, not Aulani. The only cross over, which I hate to do, to be honest, is from Kualoa Ranch in the east, to Dole in the west. But once that cross over is done, we're going north and then back to the east side. There's also another Giovanni's on the east side that I read about (Giovanni's Aloha Shrimp) - so hoping that if the line up is long in the one near the Dole Plantation, hopefully, the one just north of Laie is a tad better. If not, no biggie, we skip the shrimp :-).

And I'd like to treat the itinerary as a guide. We need one so we're not (as) all over the place, but everything that is not a scheduled activity (scheduled ones are Kualoa, PCC, Makani Catamaran) is scratchable. If traffic's too bad, the kids are tired and cranky, the teenager is rolling her eyes, then we pack up and go and if we have time another day, we give it another shot. We're on vacation :-)

You could also possibly fit Byodo-In Temple on Thursday. Are you planning on swimming etc when you go to Waimanalo beach? You mention trying to get to Hanauma Bay around 7am ish and spending 2 - 2.5 hours there; from there you can visit the blow hole which shouldn't take you no more than 30 minutes. Then Makapu'u lighthouse trail is not very long; approx 30mins one way. Allot 1.5 hours depending on how long you stay by the lighthouse to snap some pics. Then you mentioned Makapu'u tide pools, again depending on how long you are there you could definitely add in Byodo-In Temple right after. Especially since you are already windward side. I would say you could possibly add it on Wednesday but it would all depend on how long your activity is at Kualoa and what time you want to be at PCC.

Aloha and enjoy the beauty of 'Oahu \m/

I'll concur with those saying this is a pretty aggressive schedule, especially for Monday, and that's not even accounting for flight delays and/or jet lag. At a minimum, I would recommend moving the Monday Ranch Tour and Dole Tour to your check out day on Friday--that way after Dole you can just head down H2 to Ko Olina and not have to waste time heading back around the North Shore.

You could also possibly fit Byodo-In Temple on Thursday. Are you planning on swimming etc when you go to Waimanalo beach? You mention trying to get to Hanauma Bay around 7am ish and spending 2 - 2.5 hours there; from there you can visit the blow hole which shouldn't take you no more than 30 minutes. Then Makapu'u lighthouse trail is not very long; approx 30mins one way. Allot 1.5 hours depending on how long you stay by the lighthouse to snap some pics. Then you mentioned Makapu'u tide pools, again depending on how long you are there you could definitely add in Byodo-In Temple right after. Especially since you are already windward side. I would say you could possibly add it on Wednesday but it would all depend on how long your activity is at Kualoa and what time you want to be at PCC.

Aloha and enjoy the beauty of 'Oahu \m/

Thank you! It does look like it might be possible for the Thursday, I'd definitely consider that! While others have raised some points on the Monday schedule, it is the Wednesday that scares me a bit, because we'd really be out the entire day. For the Monday, I really only see it as 1 tour until noon, then eat, tour Dole for an hour tops, and then watch turtles.

I'll concur with those saying this is a pretty aggressive schedule, especially for Monday, and that's not even accounting for flight delays and/or jet lag. At a minimum, I would recommend moving the Monday Ranch Tour and Dole Tour to your check out day on Friday--that way after Dole you can just head down H2 to Ko Olina and not have to waste time heading back around the North Shore.

You bring up a good point on the flight delay. I did not think about that. If we miss getting to HNL, it will be too late to cancel the tour (I'd have to do it 24 hrs before or they charge the card on file). I have no problems keeping the same itinerary, but I think I might have to switch Monday and Thursday. With jetlag, we will be up sooooo early anyway so we'd have no trouble getting to Hanauma Bay for before 7am that Monday. If the flight gets delayed, there will be no cancellation issues I'd have to deal with.

I'm trying to keep the Friday before check-in open, for anything else that might come up, like a buffer day. If there are no issues from Monday to Thursday, then Friday we get to chill.

Thank you!!!

Your itinerary sounds well planned.

My only concerns would be the traffic coming back from Dole/Laniakia Beach to Hawaii Kai on Monday. I am thinking that is why you had put the Bydo-In temple in place that day because of maybe going across the H3? It is a beautiful route and probably a smart way to get back to Hawaii Kai rather than fighting the commuter traffic.

You were smart to put Hanauma Bay in on Thursday. It is closed Tuedays so you get a lot of people who go Wednesday.

Monday:
(AM) Kualoa Ranch Secret Island Beach Tour 9AM
(Early PM) Dole Plantation, then try Giovanni's Shrimp & Matsumoto Shave Ice
(Late PM) Laniakea Beach for turtle spotting only
If Byodo-in Temple is still open when we come back, great. If not, another day maybe.

Byodo-In Temple is relatively close to Kualoa Ranch, and it only took us maybe 30 minutes to do. Also, I'll caution that going to Dole in the afternoon means you could run into lines, crowds, and parking challenges. This was just our experience and I've read from others that its best to go there in the morning to avoid long waits. YMMV.

Tuesday:
(AM) Waikiki Beach Area (if I put Byodo-in Temple here instead, would that be too much of a travel to Makani?)
(12:30 - 3PM) Makani Catamaran Afternoon Sail
(Rest of Day) Waikiki Beach Area, anything goes

I wouldn't try to squeeze the Temple in here. And if Hawaii Kai is where I think it is, its kind of in the opposite direction of Waikiki. Plus, I think there's too much to see and do in Waikiki area. Especially if you're doing the catamaran tour already.

Wednesday :
(AM) Kualoa Ranch Movie Sites Tour 9:15AM
(Rest of Day) Polynesian Cultural Center, Ali'i Luau & Show

This is another option for Byodo-In temple - after the Ranch tour and before PCC. I'll also add that we loved the movie sites tour and also had lunch at the Ranch which was delicious!

Friday:
(AM) Check out of rental unit (could probably do Byodo-in after check out, and before Aulani, but looking online and does not sound like a good idea to leave all our stuff in the parked car while in the temple)
(PM) Check in to Aulani

I can't speak to the security of the parking lot, but I will say that the lot was small and there was a security guard at the entrance. And as I mentioned above, there's not much to do at the Temple so the stop didn't take long for us. But, I'd still be wary about leaving everything in the car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter