• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thoughts on Carousel of Progress

Well, here's a topic that's not about FP+ :)

I finally discovered a new little favorite piece of WDW on my third trip - the Carousel of Progress! My DS9 loved it too. Can't believe we never visited it before. I was absolutely enthralled by it until it got to the last scene. WOW... looks a lot like the house I grew up in in the 1980's. :rotfl: I did a web search and saw that the last scene has not been updated since 1993 except for a TV swap out in 2010. With all the $$$ Disney makes, I really wish they'd spend a bit on this last scene. Change out some of the outdated-looking furniture and clothing, make those voice activated appliances stainless steel, add some granite countertops, give Mom a modern laptop... something!

I wouldn't change a single thing about the rest of the attraction, though. We love it and it's going to be a new tradition for us, but that last scene just screams late 80's/early 90's!

We love it. I have been to Disney twice with my kids, and our third trip is this January. My kids (8 and 6) break out into the song at least once a week. As long as they have it, we will visit it every visit.

I finally discovered this attraction 2 years ago. My daughter and I were walking around trying to find something "different" to do before the evening show and stumbled across it.

What a fun experience and it had Walt Disney written all over it!

I hope to get my hubby on it when we go next month. I don't think he has ever seen it either.

It's really a hidden gem.

... the last scene has not been updated since 1993 except for a TV swap out in 2010. With all the $$$ Disney makes, I really wish they'd spend a bit on this last scene....

Unfortunately, Disney wants each attraction to be sponsored by somebody and if it isn't they tend to close that attraction (not always but a lot). GE walked away from CoP a while back so the attraction is no longer being sponsored so they are doing nothing more then minimal maintenance and the attractions looks it... I suspect they would love to close it but the quests would riot if they did. It is one of the very few attractions left that Walt had a direct hand in creating. We never miss CoP when we are in the MK.

Rather than try to update the last scene (which will just get stale and old in 5 years time anyway), I'd like to see them rewind to the 1960's and put the original World's Fair scene back in place.

The Carousel of Progress is a lovely bit of nostalgia and Disney history. I think Disney should embrace that, and ditch the lame attempt to be "modern".

This I agree with. Any new "Future" scene they put in will be dated so quickly as to not be relevant. Just go back to the original.

I do love everything else about COP though and the song is great!

Rather than try to update the last scene (which will just get stale and old in 5 years time anyway), I'd like to see them rewind to the 1960's and put the original World's Fair scene back in place.

The Carousel of Progress is a lovely bit of nostalgia and Disney history. I think Disney should embrace that, and ditch the lame attempt to be "modern".

Yes to add to my PP. At some point I thought Disney decided to make attractions at Tomorrowland be more like what people years ago thought the future would be.

But yes like the 60's but an updated 60's.

WHERE IS MY FLYING CAR!!!!! :rotfl2:

My DS was 5 the last time we went to WDW and he sat through CoP quietly and intently. We are going back in August so my DD (4) can see it for the first time. I am a history teacher and I love it the way it is. I hope that my children can see a world that existed without Ipad's, cell phones, game systems and computers. It is something I try to do every time I go.

Don't change a thing....fix it up, clean it up, but don't change it.....

. . . I wouldn't change a single thing about the rest of the attraction, though. We love it and it's going to be a new tradition for us, but that last scene just screams late 80's/early 90's!

1) Yes, it would be nice to have an updated final scene.
2) But, better to have it remain as-is then not have it.

I'm 50/50 with the last scene..
on one hand sure I guess they could update it to reflect current affects..
But on the other hand I find it amusing how they perceived our current day back when..

I like the final scene as it is - it encapsulated the twentieth century, which was an amazing period of technological progress for the American family. My grandmother was born in a house without indoor plumbing or electricity, and was surfing the Internet before she died.

My only wish for the Carousel at the moment is that it get regular TLC.

We love CoP! It's a must do every trip! I love the detail put into each scene.

Can't stand it. Accidentally got on it once with my dad and DW. The song is forever burned in our heads.

We don't speak its lyrics.

I'd like to see the 80s room go back to the it's original 1960s version. Otherwise, I think the attraction is perfect.

We love the CoP in its current incarnation.

I think as a 20th century time capsule it does great, to keep it going on and on would not be productive. As is, my wife already thinks there is too big of a time jump between the last and next to last scenes, and its not like they can add another scene because of the theater dimensions.

When we are chatting about it in line for the next ride the kids compare that last scene to the stuff we have today, making our house the true last scene.

We usually try to explain to our kids that tomorrowland is what people fifty years ago thought the future would be like in 30 years.

We LOVE CoP! It's on our list of must-dos for every trip. So the last scene is a little out-of-date. That's part of what makes it fun. I remember wearing the ice cream colored pastel clothes like the daughter, and find it hilarious. This is one I hope stays forever.

I love Carousel of Progress, there's something so nostalgic about it, since it hasn't really changed since I've been going to Disney in the mid to late 80s. I love the song. Takes me back.
I think it's so sad that people miss this gem! It is a great break from the heat in the summer and I love the history!

Yay! I'm not the only one. :woohoo: I think of CoP as being about the 20th century, kind of like how Horizons was sort of about the 21st.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter