• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thoughts on Carousel of Progress

freckles04

DIS Veteran
Well, here's a topic that's not about FP+ :)

I finally discovered a new little favorite piece of WDW on my third trip - the Carousel of Progress! My DS9 loved it too. Can't believe we never visited it before. I was absolutely enthralled by it until it got to the last scene. WOW... looks a lot like the house I grew up in in the 1980's. :rotfl: I did a web search and saw that the last scene has not been updated since 1993 except for a TV swap out in 2010. With all the $$$ Disney makes, I really wish they'd spend a bit on this last scene. Change out some of the outdated-looking furniture and clothing, make those voice activated appliances stainless steel, add some granite countertops, give Mom a modern laptop... something!

I wouldn't change a single thing about the rest of the attraction, though. We love it and it's going to be a new tradition for us, but that last scene just screams late 80's/early 90's!

We love CoP!!!! It's a must do for us on every trip! Sometimes we'll do it every time we go to the MK. I definitely agree that the last scene could use an upgrade to the 21st century...

Oh wow! A thread that isn't about FP+, thank you!

How bout give mama an Ipad, tankless water heater, and one of those alternating photo albums on the desk.
I saw it for the first time last year and totally agree. Anybody else suggest something for last scene?

Sent from my Desire HD using DISBoards

Agreed, the update would be easy and fairly cheap. Still, we love the attraction...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow starting at the end of every day!

My nephew who is in the Disney College Program loves how retro it is, and it's his favorite ride in the MK.

I'm not a big fan, but it's my number 1 choice in the summer if I want a quick air conditioned nap. lol

And that song for me at least sticks with me even more than it's a small world.

My kids adore that ride. Not only do they break into the song randomly around the house (visit wdw once a year!) This year we had to break up a huge argument over the next ride- they both wanted COP and were calling it different things!
It would be fun to see an update, but something about how old it is makes it feel sentimental even on your first ride. It just feels like an old friend.

I have always loved the attraction, so I made my family do it a couple of years ago for the first time. I was shocked at how much my then 9 and 6 year old children loved it too! Now we go on it at least twice each trip. Still love it, outdated last scene and all. :goodvibes

I still love Carousel of Progress and have done it the last several times I've gone to Disney World.:goodvibes

We love COP! It's always been a favorite for me and my kids--we never miss it! It brings back great childhood memories of WDW for me. My Dad even remembers seeing it at the 1964 New York World's Fair.

Rather than try to update the last scene (which will just get stale and old in 5 years time anyway), I'd like to see them rewind to the 1960's and put the original World's Fair scene back in place.

The Carousel of Progress is a lovely bit of nostalgia and Disney history. I think Disney should embrace that, and ditch the lame attempt to be "modern".

DS11 and DD9 love it! Like PP said they will randomly break into song. Last May we were on a bus alone with an older couple and their grown son. The kids mentioned the CoP and the woman broke into song. She sang the whole song through with my kids. One of my favorite Disney memories :) Can't wait to do it again in January!

We LOVE CoP! I actually like the last scene, it cracks me up for whatever reason. To me the CoP is classic Disney, and we make sure we visit at least once each trip. :O)

Well, here's a topic that's not about FP+ :)

I finally discovered a new little favorite piece of WDW on my third trip - the Carousel of Progress! My DS9 loved it too. Can't believe we never visited it before. I was absolutely enthralled by it until it got to the last scene. WOW... looks a lot like the house I grew up in in the 1980's. :rotfl: I did a web search and saw that the last scene has not been updated since 1993 except for a TV swap out in 2010. With all the $$$ Disney makes, I really wish they'd spend a bit on this last scene. Change out some of the outdated-looking furniture and clothing, make those voice activated appliances stainless steel, add some granite countertops, give Mom a modern laptop... something!

I wouldn't change a single thing about the rest of the attraction, though. We love it and it's going to be a new tradition for us, but that last scene just screams late 80's/early 90's!

This too is one of my favorite traditional attractions and is one of only a few that I remember from my first trip in 77.

As for updating the last scene I think years ago Disney decided that they can't keep up with chasing the future so they just really don't try anymore.

I've loved this ride forever!! I know a lot of people make fun of it and there's never a line but it is seriously my favorite ride in all of Disney world.

I'm a history nut though and those tiny details fascinate me how far we've come. It's why spaceship earth is my second favorite. I love it.

I love hall of presidents too but it's soo long that I hate taking the time when our week is so short. :(

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I love this ride. Bug I agree, the last scene is horrible. I wish they would update it as well. The rest is fantastic though. It truly is a ride through modern American history.

I saw COP first at the 1964 World's Fair! SO innovative then. For that reason it is very nostalgic for me. However, I believe it is a timeless way to introduce children to days before cell phones, iPods, computers and, frankly, a more peaceful way of life. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter