• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thoughts from a 20 Year DVC Member

WDW today is very nostalgic. It harkens back to the days when I'd be on the phone with Go Disney and the TA piecing together a package. Then when we arrive at a ride we check the line time before we join. Yep, the good ole' days with a twist of no kids and access to a beverage of choice with which to roam the parks or DH to rest while I wrestle with the darn MDE app. LOL

I just had best trip 12/26-1/1/22 .
No problems with Genie I just took the grandkids , and their mom (super tech nerd) was home booking all our Genie for us.
I guess that is the solution “Genie”stays home and g-kids love having phones in their hands non- stop to get alerts from GeniusMom…
Try it It works haha
We enjoyed using G+/LL. Spent time in the parks in the morning during early hours until it got too busy for our liking and spent the late morning / afternoon enjoying the resort and building a good G+/LL plan for the evening. I liked the "freeness" of FP+, but I liked more flexibility with G+/LL. We would go back to HS / MK in the evenings with 4 or 5 rides lined up in the matter of 90 minutes.

I agree but with specific complaint. I go on vacation to get away from my phone. I'm all for new, evolving Disney parks--update rides, update the process for going on rides, those kinds of things, I can change. But I HATE being tied to my phone at home due to kids, work, and such. When I am on vacation I want to leave my phone at home and/or in my room and just be away. Having to take my phone to track rides and ride times and is awful.

I agree but with specific complaint. I go on vacation to get away from my phone. I'm all for new, evolving Disney parks--update rides, update the process for going on rides, those kinds of things, I can change. But I HATE being tied to my phone at home due to kids, work, and such. When I am on vacation I want to leave my phone at home and/or in my room and just be away. Having to take my phone to track rides and ride times and is awful.
I will be honest we felt far less tied to our phone w/G+ than with FP+. That said, if you don't do G+ then you don't need your phone. Can you track ride times with it? Yes. But they also have tip boards all over the parks with the wait times as well.

Agree 100% that DVC experience is not that much changed except it is harder to book outside of your home resort. We love DVC and have taken trips where we have just enjoyed the resorts and hardly went to the parks. The park experience is much different, however.

Love your thumbnail and that for the agreement.

I also REALLY hate having everyone on their phones in the park, I purposely wear a watch (fitbit so I can feel better about all those steps) so I am not checking my phone for the time... but being able to order food on the app, and just walk up to get it was helpful. Like any new tech, it will take a while to come up with a non-invasive approach to use in the parks. I have faith the DIS group will eventually come up with some workarounds ;)

Last edited:
Really? I see 1) Less on-site perks 2) Harder to book reservations 3) Less DVC perks for 'new' owners' relative to those godfathered in.
Actually, before around 2016 or so, the big complaint here was that DVC owners didn't get any perks - "they already have your money, they don't have to give you perks" was the refrain. We really didn't get much - dining discounts at some restaurants, but for lunch only; I can't even think of anything else we got.

Really? I see 1) Less on-site perks 2) Harder to book reservations 3) Less DVC perks for 'new' owners' relative to those godfathered in.
True that like all onsite guests, we have lost out on the perks of extra magic hours. At least DVC still gets to park their cars without paying a fee. That would send me over the edge. I also agree about the booking issues. So many owners now, and many who rent out which changes the game from the mostly owner-occupied ressies when I first purchased. Did not consider the different perspective of those who bought resale and lost out on benefits when policy changed. That stinks.

Actually, before around 2016 or so, the big complaint here was that DVC owners didn't get any perks - "they already have your money, they don't have to give you perks" was the refrain. We really didn't get much - dining discounts at some restaurants, but for lunch only; I can't even think of anything else we got.
The biggest "perk" to our family has been the discounted Annual Pass. Now, they currently have that on hold. How sad, just really disappointed.

CarolynFH- you are right & you have been on the boards longer than I have! I bet there are lots of archived complaint threads. I remember the ongoing "if we are owners, why don't we get FL Resident pass prices?" DVC finally heard that one, which was great. :flower1:

I agree too! Purchased 17 years ago, when DH and I were first married. Man, did we get a bargain compared to today's prices! We used to get an AP, do 3 trips a year with the AP, take a year off, then do it all over again.

I rented out points the last 2 years b/c of Covid. Was looking forward to heading back this year, and doing 3 trips again. No AP sales makes that impossible though. So that it my biggest gripe.

As the paying for fastpasses, no magical express, and the constant nickel and diming, and it just doesn't feel magical. Our kids are 12, 10, and 8, and are still into Disney, but we might switch to Universal this year for our upcoming March trip. Debating if we still stay at DVC and commute to Universal, or rent the points out. Holding onto the reservations for now on the chance that APs become available.
My family of four is going to Universal in March. We had considered staying at Disney and renting a car. By the time I started adding up the cost of the rental car, daily parking fees at Universal, theme park tickets and buying express passes, I had decided to just stay at Portofino. I added up all those costs and compared them to a 5-day package at Universal. It made sense to me to just stay at Universal rather than try to commute from Disney.

I'm in the agree column. Walt Disney World was my happy place ever since my first trip in 1987. Bought DVC in 2007(I think) and still love it. My last trip though, Dec 9-18/21 I just didn't have the same comfort level. I've long since stopped being a park commando and preferred to book a couple of fast passes then mosey around the rest of the day, stopping to shop, go on an attraction or have a snack or a drink and basically just enjoy being there.
This last trip I had a lot of trouble with mobile order, I don't know if it was my phone or the parks wifi. It was very frustrating to get to a point of placing my order, then getting the "Something went wrong" message. Then trying to order food at the one register that's available at most counter service places was ridiculous. Long long lines outside of the restaurants in the hot sun (it was hot that week).
I accepted the cost of park tickets increasing, and I know times change, but I didn't feel the exemplary Disney service that I've loved in the past.
I didn't use genie+. I paid close to $700 for my theme park ticket, and I just didn't think I should then have to pay them more to be able to access the attractions in the parks.
I don't use my phone all day, but even without using genie+, you still need your phone to order food.
I get that there were other factors at play caused by the last 2 years with covid, travel restrictions, testing before going and before coming home (Canadian), but I just didn't have that Disney feeling. I wasn't broken hearted when it was time to leave.
Disney isn't the only place I travel to. I'm trying to figure out how to still keep my resort points in future. Possibly rent them, or try Aulani, HHI or Vero. Maybe give WDW a while to settle out their systems before trying it again.

The more I read this the more I regret buying DVC and I haven’t even used it after May 2020 purchase

This is all fresh and new for you. Enjoy that.

You are listening to some of us that are simply lamenting changes. Do not do that now! You can do it in 20 years. Smiling. And newsflash when some of us bought, others from earlier years were complaining. In my early years some on here used to talk about how the class level - and not said flippantly - of DVC owners had gone way down when they started selling Saratoga Springs. Priceless highly entertaining complaints.

Excited for you and your future stays, truly. Enjoy.

I just had best trip 12/26-1/1/22 .
No problems with Genie I just took the grandkids , and their mom (super tech nerd) was home booking all our Genie for us.
I guess that is the solution “Genie”stays home and g-kids love having phones in their hands non- stop to get alerts from GeniusMom…
Try it It works haha

:rotfl2::thumbsup2

Totally made my day.

------------

I used to live for 3 am EMHs. Oh man so much joy. Very much missed.

I also used to get on whatever bus pulled in. Can not even imagine doing that with all the choices that have to be made.

Last edited:
Going regularly since 2012 and bought DVC in 2018. We still like DVC. The best part for us is chilling at the resorts. We would have never stayed deluxe without DVC. We wouldn’t be able to go multiple times a year without DVC. The planning is exhausting but sort of fun in a sick way? The lack of availability for booking rooms is frustrating. Stalking the DVC website every day for the dates and hotel I want is a little crazy and weird(but I guess a lifestyle choice for me at this point). The thing I can’t get over is the park reservation system. I would like the ability to decide what park I’m going to the morning of or night before…. Oh and the cost for Disney is outrageous now…. Going to Universal for the first time and I’m actually stressed about the lack of planning….

I guess I’m looking at this from a different angle but for us getting older means we still want to stay at our DVC accommodation but are less and less worried about park time. Once the 18 year old stops going with us we probably won’t buy tickets and will enjoy the resorts, pools, the sunshine ( we I’ve in a colder country) wine on our balcony maybe mini golf and golf. We love many restaurants and our memories of going there with the kids but we can take or leave the parks

The more I read this the more I regret buying DVC and I haven’t even used it after May 2020 purchase
I know what you mean. I also bought in May 2020 and they immediately starting cancelling perks. It may seem silly but I was so impressed by the Magical Express on 2 trips that it tipped me over to buy. It felt like they announced its end right after I bought. I don't feel like I'm on vacation if I'm hauling luggage around and the DME felt like vacation started earlier and ended later.

True that like all onsite guests, we have lost out on the perks of extra magic hours. At least DVC still gets to park their cars without paying a fee. That would send me over the edge. I also agree about the booking issues. So many owners now, and many who rent out which changes the game from the mostly owner-occupied ressies when I first purchased. Did not consider the different perspective of those who bought resale and lost out on benefits when policy changed. That stinks.

<Clears throat...> A-hem, you do know that you don't park free, right? Your maintenance fees pay dearly for that parking. THAT'S why you don't 'pay.' ;-)

I know what you mean. I also bought in May 2020 and they immediately starting cancelling perks. It may seem silly but I was so impressed by the Magical Express on 2 trips that it tipped me over to buy. It felt like they announced its end right after I bought. I don't feel like I'm on vacation if I'm hauling luggage around and the DME felt like vacation started earlier and ended later.
I bought in September 2020 excited to get all the dvc perks and extras that a disney vacation entailed. Then they canceled DME in October 2020 and I immediately started questioning my purchase.

I bought in September 2020 excited to get all the dvc perks and extras that a disney vacation entailed. Then they canceled DME in October 2020 and I immediately started questioning my purchase.
Don’t worry that train will get finished in the next 10 years and you won’t miss dme at all! 8-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter