Those with HS kids that do not have a p/t job..

Our daughter is in tenth grade this year, but this is her first year in public school. She has been homeschooled until this year.
She does household chores to earn a weekly allowance, which gives her money to go to movies and stuff like that.
Since she is involved in tennis in the summer and fall, and is still adjusting to public school life, we really don't want her to have a job.

We give her money for anything school related, and we buy her clothes and such.
So far it has worked out fine.

When DD17went to Europe with school we needed to set up a debit account so she could have money while on the trip. When she got back and was going into junior year I kept the accounts-online debit account and a credit card. We sat down and budgeted money for the year and divided it by week. I transfer $35 per week into her account. She has a job, 4 hours a week on Sundays. She uses the CC for online purchases and pays for it out of her debit account. She pays for everything but the occasional item-she needed 2 new pairs of dance shoes, I paid for one pair.
DS12 gets a fiver every Friday. This is so he won't pester me to buy him stuff. Works quite well. He is supposed to keep up his room & help out. Supposed to, lol.
I really don't like being asked for money and to buy things so this works for us. DD is great with money, I don't worry about her spending. DS has stopped being a pest and is learning about saving for something instead of spending it all as he gets it.

My DD14 is in 9th grade and she has a prepaid visa account through our bank. She gets her age per week (14.50). I transfer $29 every 2 weeks to her account. I read in a financial magazine when my DS24 was a teen that a good guideline for an allowance is either your child's age per week or half of their age per week depending on what you can afford. I give her a .50 raise on her half birthday each year. She gets great grades and stays busy with school activities. She rarely spends her money and is very particular on how she spends it. If she sees something she likes she is fine to wait for it to come on sale! She saved enough to buy her first iPod when she was 8.

My DS24 got his first prepaid visa at 13 but I opened a real checking account for him when he was 15. He can manage money like nobody's business, worked through HS and college and helped pay for college. Allowances can really help kids learn how to manage money early in life and that can only benefit them in the future.

I just give them money when they need it. I haven't yet had them waste $$, so so-far so-good.

I do have an alliance in place. It isn't much, $25/month for each, plus they get Christmas and Birthday money. They hardly ever spend it. I make them buy the extras, which for them, is computer games and Xbox games.

We pay for clothing, food (even eating out), summer camps, extra curricular activities, etc....

Dawn

DD13 (almost 14) will also be starting HS this fall. Currently, I give her a $40/month allowance that she can spend however she wants - which mainly means makeup :rolleyes: but it is also expected that she will pay for optional activities such as school dances or movies with friends out of it. She also gets money occassionally from her Aunts and Uncles which probably amounts to about $300-$400 a year - she generally spends that mostly on extra clothes.

Outside of her allowance, I pay for all "needs" (toiletries, basic wardrobe, etc.) and I also pay for her cell phone.

As she becomes more socially active, I will increase the amount if I feel the current amount is too restrictive, but right now I feel like $40/month covers things just fine.

DS13 (almost 14) and going into 9th grade in the fall has never gotten an allowance and I do not want him getting a fast-food/retail/bussing/bagger job in high school. He has had a little job all through Middle School taking the garbage out for a disabled woman (who has MS) down the street. He does this every other week for $5.00/per time. Her bi-weekly housekeeper does it the off-weeks, but since DS walks by her house on the way home from school every day, he always brings the cans back to the side of her garage for "free" after the garbage is collected.

I do not want him working a "scheduled" job in high school for many reasons. Selfishly, I do not want a crappy part-time gig at a local fast food joint interfering with these last precious 4 years I have with him. I want him available when we want to go out of town for the weekend (we moved out of state and go back to visit family every couple months) or when his younger siblings have games/competitions in their sports and activities. We have always viewed our kids' games as family activities and I do not want this to stop, and living 5 hours away from everyone makes our tri-monthly trips back "home" very important, and DS loves seeing his cousins. I would HATE it if he had to miss this.

And, although I know that these types of jobs have value as far as work ethic/responsibility goes for some kids, I do not think that the low pay is worth the work involved - a lot of these jobs are managed by people who are not very happy or successful and take it out on the poor 16 year old they just hired. I had awful experiences at my teenage jobs - I cannot think of one manager who wasn't a jerk on a power trip. I feel that there are other ways that we are able to instill the same ethics without it. DS has played tackle football since he was 7 (2nd grade), 5 days/week, 2-3 hours/day for 5 months of the year. He is in all advanced classes since he was in 5th grade, and has placed into advanced/AP classes going into high school. He brings home report cards every quarter with all "A"'s and (usually) the token "B", usually in writing since he hates to write. :) In the off-season, he works with a personal trainer 3 days a week. This has all taught him time-management skills like nobody's business. His above-mentioned taking the garbage out "job" has taught him responsibility toward someone outside our family - I have never interfered with this job...he has always had to be the one to arrange his schedule and issues with Ms. M and work out the pay arrangement/etc. He has volunteered at our local library (usually 2 days a week for a few hours/day) the past two summers and will continue to do so, so he has had to be responsible for his schedule there. He has to tutor a certain amount of hours a year for NJHS, and he serves dinner at a soup kitchen every month that has a 5th Sunday (so 3-4 times a year). He does chores around the house...he needs to keep his room clean, dishes, watch his younger siblings from time to time, and earn "extras" by doing extra chores that are not "normal" helping out just because he is part of the family things, like cleaning the garage, folding laundry, etc.

I think that maybe a seasonal job like lifeguarding or being a caddy at a golf course might be a better fit for DS. The only problem with these jobs is that at his high school, football conditioning pretty much starts in January a few days/week, summer camps and practices start in June, and the regular season practices start in late July with the reg season games and practices going through Oct - Nov if they make the playoffs. I just don't see where he would ever fit a job in with football and school commitments.

I don't think that kids should pay for anything that a parent is supposed to provide. Anything that I would buy him at 10, 12 years of age, I will continue to buy at 16 and 17. We will see what he wants above and beyond that, and go from there. My mother ran out on my 4 sisters and I when I was 11 years old (my youngest sister was a preschooler at the time) while my dad worked 14 hour days, and we had to babysit for friends and relatives' kids to earn money for even the basics like lunch money, female necessities, shoes, etc, so I may be a little on the extreme side with my thoughts, but I will not make my kids work to earn money for things that a parent should normally supply!

My kids get an allowance- DD15 gets $15/month and DD12 gets $12/month. No, it's not a lot, but I pay for most things for them, even "wants", unless it's something I think is not worth it. We also live way out in the country, so they are not out doing things without us very much. DD15 almost never spends any money and is very low maintenance. DD12 will not blink at spending most of her money on a fancy dress.

DD15 has a job that she works 1 to 1.5 hours per week and makes $35 each week. It's ideal as it is done on her choice of any weekend evening, doesn't interfere with school, sports, or family events, or take up much of her time. For the amount of time she spends, the pay is great, but it will never grow to be more than that. She's put every penny in her savings account so far. I told her she could treat herself to a set of copic markers once, but she thought she could wait for her birthday in 6 months.

Hopefully when she's older, she can find some good part time summer work, but the opportunities here are few. One grocery store, one ice cream shop, that's just about it. She could detassle corn, but that is miserable work, and I don't want her fair skin in the sun all day!

DS was manager for the basketball team so we said we would pay him $40/wk for this ONLY during the basketball season. And we fill his car with gas at the beginning of the month; anything extra is his. He also mowed his grandmother's lawn in the spring & summer.

DD is mad busy; but she kept asking for $10 for a tee shirt for this event, $5 to get yogurt/coffee, etc. We finally said she could have $20/wk but she couldn't ask for more.

We do get them older reliable cars & pay insurance. We have always paid for extra curricular activities. Clothing is only bought when needed (and generally on sale).

DS is now a freshman at TCU. We told him his graduation $ was his spending $ for the year. He did get a work study for the spring & will in the fall. He has 3 Young Life camps this summer in addition to 2 short road trips--he is getting real life lessons in how to get the $ he needs to get the things he needs/wants.

DD put in for a library internship this summer that pays $1K--she has offered to give it to us as she realizes that dance classes, dance team, mission trip & YL camps are costly.

It's a process...

I have two son's, one is a freshman in college and one is a sophomore in high school.

For both of them, while in high school, they got $10/week for pocketmoney for doing some basic chores. This covers their occassional trips to hess express or taco bell. They also were given money on an as needed basis if they went to movies/applebees, etc. They both have summer jobs lifeguarding, and they save most of that towards buying a car(and older DS tutored as well).

They both participated in sports year round. DH and I discussed that we preferred them not to work during the school year unless they actually asked:rotfl2: as they can only be kids once and have the rest of their lives to work (stems from me having to work since I was 12 to buy my own socks/underwear etc). I suppose if our financial situation required them to work, we would have done something different though.

I have 1 in grad school and a senior in college. All through high school we did this: school lunch cost $3, I would give then $15 a week. If they packed lunch any day they kept the money. DS usually packed 3-4 times DD packed every day.

My dd17 has a part time job and my ds14 doesn't. DD did one year of cheerleading and decided it wasn't for her. She isn't really into sports so she isn't involved in any afterschool activities. Dh and I wanted her to be more involved. She joined key club, which is great, but they only meet once a week at lunch time and have an occasional volunteer project. So we told her if she didn't have some other way of being involved at school she needed to get a job. She was spending every afternoon at home watching tv her freshmen year. Then she did cheer her soph year and when cheer ended and she didn't sign up again, I thought there is no way we want her in her room doing nothing again.

A local movie theater was opening in our area and she got the job. She's been there a year now and only works once a week on the weekends. During the summer she worked 2-3 shifts per week. She's was accepted into National Honor Society in Sept so she did have to spend some time this past year keeping up on volunteer hours for NHS and for Key Club.

We pay for all of our kids needs (clothing, uniforms, fees, etc). They pay for their entertainment and wants (movies, video games, luxury items).

DS14 doesn't get a set allowance as he is involved with sports and doesn't have much time for chores. But he was getting $15 a week for picking up dog doo, taking out the trash, keeping his bathroom sink clean and doing his own laundry. We'll start that again in a few weeks when school is over. Then he'll have some more spending money as his birthday money from Dec is dwindling.

He won't need to get a job when he turns 16, but he's already been talking about it so he'll either need to be involved in something at school or get a job. We'll see when he gets there what he chooses.

Both of my kids do chores. They are DS14 and DD8.

I give DS14 about $4-5 a day or $20 a week for food. He gets lunch at school but in addition he likes to buy snacks (lunch doesn't fill him up) or stop at a convenience store after school to buy food. He doesn't ask for much so when he does, if it's within reason, I usually say yes. He asks when new video games come out which is probably one new game every 6 months. He likes wearing baseball caps so every few months he gets a new one. He's not into his appearance yet so I have to force new sneakers and clothes on him. He's not very social yet but he will at times ask to go to a carnival with his friends or bowling and I always give him money for this.

DD8 gets $5 every week for her chores which she saves in her piggy bank for Disney. I also give her $1 a few times a week to get a snack at lunch. She is my clothes and shoe loving child and we have to keep this at a limit or she will spend my every last dime on clothes.

When I was in high school my parents paid for all my stuff and gave me a little play money as long as I kept my grades up and stayed out of trouble which I did. I worked during the summer but I really enjoyed my high schools experience.

DW's parents (eternally broke) bought her a new car when she turned 16 and handed her a payment book. She worked all thru high school and missed every ballgame, dance, event to work to pay for the car her parents wouldn't let her sell to buy a beater.

I've already told DD that I don't expect her to work during high school as long as she keeps her grades at an acceptable level and gets in no trouble. I will provide for all her needs (not everything she wants) and a little extra cash for fun. I do expect her to find something to generate some cash during the summer and budget that money thru the school year.

Teenages have many years of work ahead of them. If I can afford it and she abides by the simple things I ask and expect of her, I say enjoy the teenage years because being an adult sucks sometimes. :thumbsup2

DD is 16 and a sophomore. Right now DH gives her $20.00 monthly which is her fun money as well as budgeting for her vacation spend money. I give her $5.00 a week for school to use as she wants (snacks, activities, or she can simply keep what she does not use). I keep $50.00 on a school lunch account but DD prefers to bag her lunch. Once in awhile she will buy so that $50 usually last most of the school year.

Our daughter does have a checking and savings account along with a debit card but never uses the card. And although she knows how to manage her accounts she says she prefers to pay cash which is fine by me.

DD is very low maintenance and asks for very little. She is a high honors student, volunteers weekly at our library, and takes private guitar lessons. For now, DH and I feel her job is her school work. She is responsible for keeping her room clean, helping out with dinner, and any other chores she is asked to do. We do not give an allowance as we believe we are all responsible for our home and we work as a team. If she wants to earn additional money, we will offer jobs around the house not considered daily cleaning.

We take care of all her needs; school supplies, clothes when needed and such. She does not drive yet, so no expense there. However, she is preparing to get her permit. DH and I have not talked about how to handle car expenses but we will probably pay for her insurance for now and give DD a monthly gas allowance. Anything above that she will be responsible for.

Any monetary gifts she receives from family is split. Half for her to use as she pleases, the other half must go into the bank.

DH and I are not pushing the issue of getting a job. We feel she will be working the rest of her life. Now is the time for her to achieve in school and learn how to manage her money and accounts (which is doing quite nicely).

We did stress that once she does start working a percentage of her wages will go into an IRA for her retirement! DH and I feel it is important for DD to invest in her future very early on.

I just wanted to add that I've enjoyed reading how other's handle this situation and look forward to reading more. Many families have great management ideas and I would definitely consider incorporating some into our family life.

When my two older kids were in high school (one graduated last year) we did it on an as needed basis. I didn't give an allowance or money just so he had money to carry around.

He had to ask for everything that he wanted or needed. I rarely said no unless it was ridiculous or very expensive. This way I was able to keep up with exactly where he was spending the money and didn't have to worry about the money going to things I didn't approve of.

I did the same with my daughter. It seemed to work out well and because she didn't always want to be asking me for money, she picked and chose what was most important to her.

Mostly our kids just ask us when they need/want something. DS is 16 and does work during the summer for my FIL, but there's no way he could juggle a job on top of everything else during the school year. DD is 12 and too young for a real job, but also works summers for FIL. And they're both pretty good about stretching that summer money to cover all the little things like going to McDs with friends or chasing down the ice cream truck. But for the bigger expenses like homecoming or going to Friday night football games or catching a movie with friends, they ask us and we're happy to give them what they need.

I want them to be active and involved in their schools and community so I don't expect them to shoulder many of their own expenses while they are still in school. And I second what SEA333 said - part of that is selfish, me wanting them to be available for what family time we can squeeze in around their sports and other activities, rather than having to fit work hours into that limited down time. We have friends who have left kids home from vacations and complain about them missing family dinners/holidays because they couldn't get time off from a McJob, and DS has friends who missed homecoming or prom or the state championship football game because they had to work. I simply don't believe that most teen jobs are worth those sacrifices.

Mostly our kids just ask us when they need/want something. DS is 16 and does work during the summer for my FIL, but there's no way he could juggle a job on top of everything else during the school year. DD is 12 and too young for a real job, but also works summers for FIL. And they're both pretty good about stretching that summer money to cover all the little things like going to McDs with friends or chasing down the ice cream truck. But for the bigger expenses like homecoming or going to Friday night football games or catching a movie with friends, they ask us and we're happy to give them what they need.

I want them to be active and involved in their schools and community so I don't expect them to shoulder many of their own expenses while they are still in school. And I second what SEA333 said - part of that is selfish, me wanting them to be available for what family time we can squeeze in around their sports and other activities, rather than having to fit work hours into that limited down time. We have friends who have left kids home from vacations and complain about them missing family dinners/holidays because they couldn't get time off from a McJob, and DS has friends who missed homecoming or prom or the state championship football game because they had to work. I simply don't believe that most teen jobs are worth those sacrifices.

Selfish, maybe a little but a good point. Before you know it, our kids are off to college, working, and some starting their own families. While we will still get together with them, life changes for everyone. Our kids become adults with adult responsibilities leaving less time for important family time. Or, they don't get the same time off as we do. Some will have to work through holidays. So, embrace or time with kids while we can!;)

When my two older kids were in high school (one graduated last year) we did it on an as needed basis. I didn't give an allowance or money just so he had money to carry around.

He had to ask for everything that he wanted or needed. I rarely said no unless it was ridiculous or very expensive. This way I was able to keep up with exactly where he was spending the money and didn't have to worry about the money going to things I didn't approve of.

This is like our house too. Our oldest is in 10th grade. We have 5 boys, ages 15, 13, 11, 7 and 5. There is no way we are handing out allowances. They do a lot in the house, such as dishes, dishwasher, vacuuming, laundry, firewood, plowing, mowing etc. It makes the house run. If they did not help, it would fall all on me, and then they would go No Where, because I would be too busy doing everything.

The 3 older kids, referee soccer in the fall, every Saturday. They get paid per game. So last year the oldest got about $220 for games, $90 for the next, and $55 for the 11yr old. They spend their money any way they want. We gave movie gift cards, for Christmas with the oldest getting the most, as he goes there more with friends and girl friend. We do hand out money as needed for activities with friends, as well as driving classes, clothes, lunches, etc. We give within reason.

Once the license comes, ds1 will be getting a job. However, if he continues to take the AP courses he does and continues with all the after school activities he does, along with Leadership Camps he does in the summer, it may not happen as soon as we would like because those things come first.

I don't get paid for staying home and doing the housework and driving everyone where they need to be, so I am certainly not going to pay my children to help out.

I'm 23, for a time/perspective reference.

When I first started high school my I asked my parents for money as I needed it--$20 for food for a weekend tennis tournament, $10 to go to the movies with friends, etc.
Within a couple of months my parents decided to give me $50/month to cover lunches and anything fun that I wanted to do with friends, or any fun purchases like jewelry or accessories or video games. I usually packed a lunch and ended up saving a lot of my money, but my sister spent her money like water! But when it was gone, it was gone. I think that's a good system, as it encourages kids to budget their money, plus it keeps parents from gradually handing out a ton of money in little increments and wondering where it all went.

I also babysat occasionally and got to keep that money. My parents preferred for me to focus on school rather than a job. Once I started working (late in my senior year), I started paying for all of my fun activities, though my parents were generous and covered auto insurance/most of my gas. They encouraged me to save most of that money, as I knew up front that I would be responsible for all college costs, so any money I saved was less I would take out in loans.

I'm 23, for a time/perspective reference.

When I first started high school my I asked my parents for money as I needed it--$20 for food for a weekend tennis tournament, $10 to go to the movies with friends, etc.
Within a couple of months my parents decided to give me $50/month to cover lunches and anything fun that I wanted to do with friends, or any fun purchases like jewelry or accessories or video games. I usually packed a lunch and ended up saving a lot of my money, but my sister spent her money like water! But when it was gone, it was gone. I think that's a good system, as it encourages kids to budget their money, plus it keeps parents from gradually handing out a ton of money in little increments and wondering where it all went.

I also babysat occasionally and got to keep that money. My parents preferred for me to focus on school rather than a job. Once I started working (late in my senior year), I started paying for all of my fun activities, though my parents were generous and covered auto insurance/most of my gas. They encouraged me to save most of that money, as I knew up front that I would be responsible for all college costs, so any money I saved was less I would take out in loans.

Nice to hear from the student's point of view! Sounds like your parents have done a wonderful job!::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter