Those with children with Type 1 diabetes, restaurant ?

acjsmom

Earning My Ears
For those of you with children who have Type 1 diabetes, do your children do better at the buffet or plate served restaurants?

My six year old has Type 1 diabetes, and I have booked a few buffets for us. At first I was thinking that would giver her more choices (she is a picky eater), but I forgot about all the desserts on the buffet. I was thinking she and I could split a dessert. I don't know.

What did you find worked better? She will be on the pump by then.

I'm not a child, but I am a Type I....long time. I think the buffets are a better choice since you can choose a little of whatever you want. As for the desserts.....a little extra bolus from the pump will help, but for the most part at WDW I tend to run low. All the extra activity and excitement make snacks a necessity (bummer!). Enjoy!

Well we went 3.5 years ago and at the time dd was not on the pump but on Lantus and Novolog. I don't think buffet or sit down really mattered. We just counted the carbs either way. Same with desserts. We don't limit them anymore than we would if she didn't have diabetes. Just count the carbs, bolus for them and go on. Now there are certain foods both dessert and not that cause more trouble than others so we do limit those much more than others. Non dessert trouble makers are breadsticks, bagels, oatmeal and a few other items. The only dessert/sweet item that causes trouble when accurately counted for are doughnuts.

I agree with the earlier poster who said with all the walking she will probably need more snacks. DD ate many uncovered treats due to all the walking and heat and we even had a stroller she used part of the time. Lows were definitely more of a problem than highs. Of course she was honeymooning then so that probably had a little to do with it also.

Good luck. I found Disney with diabetes to be pretty easy (as easy as anything with diabetes...). We just used the Calorie King book for carb counts, bolused for them and went on. Make sure you take all the supplies you think you will need x2 lol. You never know!

Well we went 3.5 years ago and at the time dd was not on the pump but on Lantus and Novolog. I don't think buffet or sit down really mattered. We just counted the carbs either way. Same with desserts. We don't limit them anymore than we would if she didn't have diabetes. Just count the carbs, bolus for them and go on. Now there are certain foods both dessert and not that cause more trouble than others so we do limit those much more than others. Non dessert trouble makers are breadsticks, bagels, oatmeal and a few other items. The only dessert/sweet item that causes trouble when accurately counted for are doughnuts.

I agree with the earlier poster who said with all the walking she will probably need more snacks. DD ate many uncovered treats due to all the walking and heat and we even had a stroller she used part of the time. Lows were definitely more of a problem than highs. Of course she was honeymooning then so that probably had a little to do with it also.

Good luck. I found Disney with diabetes to be pretty easy (as easy as anything with diabetes...). We just used the Calorie King book for carb counts, bolused for them and went on. Make sure you take all the supplies you think you will need x2 lol. You never know!

Ditto this. To each their own, but we treat our type 1 daughter the same way with regards to desserts - eat as any kid without type 1 would. Which is to say that she doesn't have one with every meal, but we give her the same number of desserts as her non-diabetic brother.

The reason is (as I see it) that with type 1, insulin must be given for all carbs, regardless of source. So my daughter eats pretty healthy and gets insulin - another unit of insulin for the piece of cake doesn't impact her diabetes, ASSUMING:
- The diet is healthy overall and providing the proper nutrition
- The cake is accounted for with an accurate insulin dosage.
Now, desserts can be tricky and lead to highs or lows - so we're careful what kinds of desserts. But that's true of other foods as well (pizza, for instance, is notoriously hard to estimate).

Generally, with type 2, insulin need only be given for the amount of carbs that exceed the pancreas' ability to "keep up" - so it makes sense to really limit dessert and generally eat healthy and all that. For the type 2 diabetic, that piece of cake is the entrance into the 'trouble zone' and thus is better avoided. If a piece of cake is eaten as the meal itself, well, maybe it doesn't overwhealm the pancreas but it also doesn't provide much nutrients so isn't sustainable.

Guidance is different, even from doctors. I'm just saying how we operate.

OP, you will love the pump. And you will love the experience in Disney - they can be, shall we say, less than helpful if you ask for precise carb counts but will be helpful in every other way.

And if you can swing it, stop by beaches and cream in the beach Club hotel. yes, it is an ice cream/hot dog place. But last we were there, the young (fit) gentleman who managed the place was - you guess it - a type 1 diabetic who used a pump. A highlight of the trip was her talking with the manager, comparing pumps and stories, and me realizing that this was a dream come true: Here's my daughter who almost died from this disease, in the happiest place on earth, in an ice cream shop - and the Disney magic worked to turn her diabetes from a limiting factor to making her the one the manager was fussing over and making a new friend.

As others have said, you'll have to be on your game. Do a "sugar check" whenever you can. But don't worry. It'll be great!

Not diabetic, but an RN who has done diabetes teaching, a reader of threads like this where people are giving hints and an eater of buffets (LOL).
You've gotten a lot of good advice for your question here, but you may also want to look in the disABILITIES FAQs thread. There is a link in my signature. Post #3 of that thread had some general information that may be helpful to you, but also has links to some diabetes specific information, including links to some past discussions like that.

If you are going to have dessert, there are some advantage to the desserts on the buffet.
One is that you can see them before ordering (which can be helpful for 6 yr olds in general for choosing and you for riguring out carbs).
They have a variety of choices, some of which might be easier to figure out the carbs than others.
They are not preplated, so you can chose the portion size. Some things ( like brownies, cake or bars) are cut into pieces, but you can cut a piece and take only part of a piece if you want. Many of the cakes are round, but I've also seen rectangular cakes at times, which would let you choose a piece from the inside with less frosting. You would not be the only guests doing that - many guests choose small portions so the can sample a greater number of items. You can also get an empty plate and portion the choices at the table, based on which ones your child likes after sampling. Some of the unfamiliar items might not taste the way your child thinks they will.

Also, since they are not preplated, you can choose what extras to add and how much. For example, they often have soft serve ice cream and have toppings you can put on it. They can range from chocolate and caramel sauce to sprinkles and coconut. You can control what extras you add and how much you put on.

One disadvantage to the buffets is that there may be some unfamiliar desserts that you may not have a good estimate of carb count. You can ask to speak to the chef to get ideas of ingredients, but WDW doesn't give carb counts. There will be other choices though, so if you see one you can't give a guess on, there should be other foods that are easier.

We took my DS2 last month, about 2 months after he started on the pump. We generally found buffets easier, not so much from a carb counting standpoint, as a "get your 2 year old to sit and eat" perspective :lmao: Most of our carb counting at Disney was guesswork anyways. With the buffets, I felt I got to control portion sizes better, so I knew the carb counts better.

Good luck!

We have been 3 times since DD was dx 13 months ago. I have found either works but our problem was the choices at the sitdown. She gets tired of chicken. Don't get me wrong she loves chicken but it seemed to be the only choice she would make. Maybe I was the one who got tired of the chicken. :rotfl2::confused3

I am a new diabetic whose diagnosis is rare in adults my age according to the hospital which just released me. Apparently what I have is usually seen in little kids so this thread would apply to me too. Like the original poster I am very interested in good restaurants for diabetics, but I am wondering if there are any other vegetarian diabetics here. If I could have a meal that fit both diabetic and vegetarian diets, I would really prefer that.

The only thing kind of junky that I really like is chocolate, especially those few days a month that the ladies know all about. If I can have something to stop those horrible cravings should they occur at WDW without blowing my diet, that would be lovely and make me easier to live with as well. However, I don't like anything greasy. It sticks to the roof of my mouth and makes me feel sick, and that was true before I got diabetes so it would just be worse now.

I may actually have a great deal in common with diabetic children being that little ones tend to like fruit but not meat and so forth just like me. The parents of diabetic little ones, and even the children themselves, might be excellent people for me to take advice from.

I am a new diabetic whose diagnosis is rare in adults my age according to the hospital which just released me. Apparently what I have is usually seen in little kids so this thread would apply to me too. Like the original poster I am very interested in good restaurants for diabetics, but I am wondering if there are any other vegetarian diabetics here. If I could have a meal that fit both diabetic and vegetarian diets, I would really prefer that.

The only thing kind of junky that I really like is chocolate, especially those few days a month that the ladies know all about. If I can have something to stop those horrible cravings should they occur at WDW without blowing my diet, that would be lovely and make me easier to live with as well. However, I don't like anything greasy. It sticks to the roof of my mouth and makes me feel sick, and that was true before I got diabetes so it would just be worse now.

I may actually have a great deal in common with diabetic children being that little ones tend to like fruit but not meat and so forth just like me. The parents of diabetic little ones, and even the children themselves, might be excellent people for me to take advice from.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Not sure of your age, but a good friend of mine was diagnosed when she was in her early 30s and her brother in his late 20s. i will always be thankful to her for showing me the ropes, and her pump, when DS was diagnosed. I carry two of the auto-immune antibodies but, at 42, have not developed it yet (there is still a chance I could but odds are low).

My DS9 has had T1D for 7.5 years. We are not vegetarian, but whether you are eating meat or not, I think similar guidelines would hold true. Things we have found...

• A meal with a good balance of protein, and a little fat with any carbs you eat will help your food digest slower, meaning you will not see dramatic spikes with immediate lows after. We find this very helpful in keeping DS's BG numbers more even.

• Obviously, the fewer carbs you eat, the lower you insulin need. Do keep in mind, though that even protein at some point in digestion will result in some carbs in your system, so don't forego the insulin altogether.

While you are in WDW, check often. The heat, exercise and adrenaline has different impacts on everyone...they all make DS go low. Keep lots of glucose tabs (or whatever fast glucose you use) with you and then snacks to keep you up afterward if you have been low. Not sure if you are on MDI or pump, but also watch your basal (or Lantus) rates and I/C ratios...you may need to adjust them while you are there.

Have a great time in WDW!

For those of you with children who have Type 1 diabetes, do your children do better at the buffet or plate served restaurants?

My six year old has Type 1 diabetes, and I have booked a few buffets for us. At first I was thinking that would giver her more choices (she is a picky eater), but I forgot about all the desserts on the buffet. I was thinking she and I could split a dessert. I don't know.

What did you find worked better? She will be on the pump by then.

We found buffets to work well with our son also, for many of the reasons already given. By the time we hit dessert, he was usually full and only had a few bites of whatever he chose.

Do test frequently, as I think someone already mentioned. You may find that you need to reduce her basal rates and I/C ratios while you are there, depending on her reaction to the exercise, heat and excitement. We also always carry lots of extra food and emergency supplies with us in the parks since we never know if we might get stuck in a line, on a stalled ride, or whatever and would not want to have an issue we could not handle with our own supplies.

DS was 7 when we visited WDW and had a blast. I hope you have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter