Those Who Really Hate The BRP Please Read....

Hi everyone. Like alot of you I would like more options, to book last minute, book 3 rooms, be able to call in, etc. Also, i am looking at the GF for 10 nights in Dec. (Dec. 8 -18th) which is value season. In years past, my family has gotten 40-45% off the moderates & ft. wilderness cabins. I have never stayed at a Deluxe and was hoping to stay there this year with having my Disney Fairy Tale Wedding & Honeymoon down there. Right now, those dates won't even bring up the GF, but last week it was $40 off rack rate!!! That is crazy compared to years prior. Also, my family & other guests are staying at the POFQ & i can't even get that resort to come up. So, I am not liking it right now. This was the year for me i needed discounts, not just for me but for my guests. I am extremely disappointed and still hope that the old call in rates will come back. I would love to get the dining plan too but AP holders can't book that...that's another big bummer. So, right now for me and all my guests (about 17), we have no room discount & no dining plan. I am really bummed, and up until now my wedding planning has been smooth sailing.

sherry8253 said:
If there are 2 adult AP holders in your family, can't you book 2 rooms per passholder? That would be 4 rooms. I am confused? :confused3

According to my TA, I can only book one room per adult AP.

Rachel :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

The 120 days restrictions -- While we spend a far greater total number of days at WDW than any other destination, WDW is NOT our the main vacation each year that we plan in advance. Instead, we make many last minute trips to the World. Compared to the many other non-Disney resorts we've visited over the years, the WDW resorts just aren't worth rack-rate to us. However, I've considered the AP-rates a good deal. Thus, the numerous visits we have made. However, if we have to plan our trips 120 days in advance in the "hope" that a decent rate will be available, I doubt that we'll be making too many more trips. We certainly won't be going for the 8 days we had originally planned for October. We can go to the Outer Banks of NC and stay in a truly luxury-class private home with pool, spa, etc. for far less money. In fact, we can take the whole extended family for less than just the rooms for my dh and children. The BRP is just not good for those of us who make numerous last minute trips.

This is my first year with an AP--and I have to say I didn't mind the BR program! It seems like I'd have had to play a waiting game to get the code, then hope I could get the room I wanted before someone else. Maybe because we know when we're going in advance--the 120 day limit was fine. The no refund is not a problem--my dates are firm. If I have to cancel for an emergency, obviously I will have other things to worry about than the loss of some money.

And, yes, you can book at least 3 rooms with one AP from what other posters have written. You just link them together in the remarks space.

luvmk said:
According to my TA, I can only book one room per adult AP.

Can anyone on the boards help Rachel? I was positive you could book 2 rooms per AP but you need to book 2 separate reservations. Rachel who did you book through?

lumk: You can only book one room at a time. But you can book up to 3 rooms per adult AP. :)

This is directly from MouseSavers and it gives an example: "The Passholder can book only ONE room at a time (but can book up to 3 rooms for the same hotel and dates with just one Annual Pass, if there is availability) and the Passholder must be an adult. To book more than one room, you must make separate reservations online and the Passholder must be the first adult listed on each room. Then you can call the Disney Reservations Center at (407) W-DISNEY to change the names on the additional rooms. MouseSavers.com reader Matthew M points out that when making the online reservations, you should "specify the actual number of people in the room and not worry about having the correct names. For example, for the room that I booked for my parents, I booked it for two people [with my own name as the first name] and only added my mother's name as the additional guest. I then called and changed my name to my father's name." He learned that if he had specified 3 people so that he could enter both of his parents' names, he would have been charged for an extra adult in the room"

Here's some more info from MouseSavers on the Best Rate Program: http://www.mousesavers.com/newapdiscounts.html

sherry8253 said:
Can anyone on the boards help Rachel? I was positive you could book 2 rooms per AP but you need to book 2 separate reservations. Rachel who did you book through?

I just LOVE you guys for trying to help! :grouphug:

I booked through Dreams Unlimited and have been told twice that I cannot book more than one room per ap. I even mentioned the conflicting info, but I have always gotten the same answer from them.

MinnieM21 said:
lumk: You can only book one room at a time. But you can book up to 3 rooms per adult AP. :)

This is directly from MouseSavers and it gives an example: "The Passholder can book only ONE room at a time (but can book up to 3 rooms for the same hotel and dates with just one Annual Pass, if there is availability) and the Passholder must be an adult. To book more than one room, you must make separate reservations online and the Passholder must be the first adult listed on each room. Then you can call the Disney Reservations Center at (407) W-DISNEY to change the names on the additional rooms. MouseSavers.com reader Matthew M points out that when making the online reservations, you should "specify the actual number of people in the room and not worry about having the correct names. For example, for the room that I booked for my parents, I booked it for two people [with my own name as the first name] and only added my mother's name as the additional guest. I then called and changed my name to my father's name." He learned that if he had specified 3 people so that he could enter both of his parents' names, he would have been charged for an extra adult in the room"

Here's some more info from MouseSavers on the Best Rate Program: http://www.mousesavers.com/newapdiscounts.html

I just clicked on the link and the info on Mousesavers is VERY different from what my ta at DU has told me. Is this a change in the system or has it always been that way? It's a difference of $400, so it's worth for me to look into!

My main issue is the non-refundable deposit. Yes, I understand why they did it this way (prevent the "holding" of rooms), but it makes it difficult for me. We are doing a split stay around a cruise and had to pay 2 deposits, no big deal unless we have to cancel. I was very unhappy with the 120 day mark and glad they reduced it to 60 (but still miffed they had my money for 60 days longer than necessary!) I also don't like that I can't pay off my resort ahead of time. The other big thing is the discounts aren't that great. I know they never promised discounts, but they groomed a "culture" of discount expectation among Passholders. We all assumed we could get AKL for $109 during value season. Period. The rooms are filling with all the people who are hearing "WDW family vacation for $1500", so they just don't need us anymore. For now. This will be my last annual pass for awhile. As long as I have AAA, it doesn't make much fiscal sense for me. We live in Ohio, so the AP actually created more trips than I would have taken otherwise. I'll keep a watch on things and see what's happening in 2007, but for 2006, we're taking a year off from Disney.

My issues are:

1 - website is horrible. Slow, cumbersome.

2 - you don't really know what the rate will be w/o going through all that - I loved the straight forward "$100 off deluxe, $75 off moderates, etc" rates - no guessing whether you got a good rate or if you keep trying will you get a better rate -

3 - like the above poster, we are self employed and sometimes have to change plans even though we dont' want to - so the non-refundable deposit is an issue for us, too.

4 - I understand the issue of folks taking advantage of the codes before -but I don't think this was the fix. great last minute trips are not as much of an option - part of the "justification" for me on these last minute trips was the great deal we felt like we were getting - b/c no matter how good the deal, as you all know, no trip to Disney is truly inexpensive. LOL

5 - Like another above poster - we are staying out of the park more this coming year. It's not a matter of 'magic' vs. money for us - we think Disney is magical no matter where we stay! it was easier justifying Disney prices with the discount - when we can pay 1/3 the price for a similar room really close to Disney, it's hard to justify the expense - we can stay longer with that. Now when it's only twice as much to stay in the park, we're there! :rotfl:

Seriously I LOVE staying in the park!! We stay both in and out - and have lots of fun either way. The discount motivated us stay more often in the park. The trade off is it costs more and the rooms are smaller and we all stay in one room when we stay in the park, too.

In any case - I'd be happy with online booking - even could put up w/ nonrefundable deposit if you could book a trip when you wanted, changes were allowed, no 60 Days out limitation and they had a decent website where you could compare rates at different resorts easily with out the fear that if you keep trying, a better deal will pop up.

luvmk said:
I just LOVE you guys for trying to help! :grouphug:

I booked through Dreams Unlimited and have been told twice that I cannot book more than one room per ap. I even mentioned the conflicting info, but I have always gotten the same answer from them.

That's not true at all, you can book up to 3 rooms per AP. I have 3 rooms booked for November. I did have to book all three separately though, but I have heard that TA's can book more thanone at a time.

I think the bigger problem isn't JUST the BRP, but a compilation of ALL the changes that Disney has made loyal customers endure this year.

First they introduced the Magic Your Way Program and that took some getting used to (who am I kidding....I still am frustrated trying to fugure out if I'm getting a deal or not). Then meal vouchers went away. That was a big kick in the pants for people like me who like to prepay for things, AND like to save some money. Now they are compounding that frustration by requiring me to book X number of days out, forfeiting a deposit, and making my feel my AP is becoming more useless by the moment.

I personally have just joined the WDW bandwagon. We had a GREAT trip in March (my first). We bought Florida resident AP's, used out Q and C vouchers and stayed in at the POP with a AP discount. I enjoyed every moment of it.

Now, the non-refundable deposit that the BRP requires makes me uncomfortable, and it is because of this that our December trip will probably be our last on property. I am also seriously considering NOT renewing our AP's and waiting to see what Disney decides next....

Disney magic will always be there, but at what expense to AP holders?

Well I really dont mind the new BRP.... in fact, its not all that bad....
I dont mind making the ressie on the computer, as I am on the computer most of the time anyway.... although it takes a little longer having to put things in compared to speaking to someone on the phone....

Actually I got a very good rate for our trip in Dec. (12-25 - 1-2) with VERY GOOD rates......

the one thing that I really dislike the most is the fact that Disney did not compensate for the October Black Hole (which we are in 10-19 -- 10-23), this part upsets me a great deal... they should have made acceptions to AP's.... if they didn't want to come out with a code for this time, then they should have at least least the AP's book on line for this time..... we are paying almost as much of a value at this time then we are for a deluxe in Dec....so this I am not happy about...

I do not like the new program because I was looking for AP rates October 14 -17 and wasn't able to use BRP program because when it was announced the 120 days was past the time frame I needed. I will probably try to use it in the future, I don't really have a problem with putting a deposit down because once I know I can get a room at a decent rate I am going! Airfare is still reasonable for me, I actually paid less for my airfare this year than I did last year.

I dont understand how anyone can have an opinion on the rate differences between BR and AP since I have not read ANYWHERE that someone has ACTUALLY received a reduction in the cost of their room YET.

Has anyone booked blindly (which is what BR ask us to do) and RECEIVED an email stating that their cost has been LOWERED due to a discount???

Dont have a problem leaving a Nonrefundable deposit on a room at booking time, seems like a reasonable request from any business.

Dont have a problem booking 60 days in advanced to be eligible for a discount.

Do have a problem NOT knowing what my bottom line will be on the room cost. If you require I book 60 days in advance and yu require I leave a nonrefundable deposit than tell me what I am paying for this room when i book it, dont tease me (which is what WDW is doing). WDW should be more than capable of doing this.

Stayed at AKL last month using AP rate and loved it, would love to try Poly., Contemp., GF and WL but can not afford $300 plus a nite so would never book a room at one of these Delux resorts and gamble i get a discount, oh well no ones loss but mine, right...

the br is basically just the flat out ap rate. The only difference is that you are able to book in farther out. As far as the non refundable dep goes that I believe is in place because alot pass and Fl residents i guess changed their minds alot.

I agree I do not like the BR but its what some one decided to change too.

Oh and i remember when the BR first came out I asked my supers if the rate would change every so often and if would get cheaper and cheaper but it jsut stays the same.

DeeDeeDis said:
I dont understand how anyone can have an opinion on the rate differences between BR and AP since I have not read ANYWHERE that someone has ACTUALLY received a reduction in the cost of their room YET.

Has anyone booked blindly (which is what BR ask us to do) and RECEIVED an email stating that their cost has been LOWERED due to a discount???

Dont have a problem leaving a Nonrefundable deposit on a room at booking time, seems like a reasonable request from any business.

Dont have a problem booking 60 days in advanced to be eligible for a discount.

Do have a problem NOT knowing what my bottom line will be on the room cost. If you require I book 60 days in advance and yu require I leave a nonrefundable deposit than tell me what I am paying for this room when i book it, dont tease me (which is what WDW is doing). WDW should be more than capable of doing this.

Stayed at AKL last month using AP rate and loved it, would love to try Poly., Contemp., GF and WL but can not afford $300 plus a nite so would never book a room at one of these Delux resorts and gamble i get a discount, oh well no ones loss but mine, right...

When you book with Best Rate you do know what your cost is going to be when you book. If Disney lowers their prices to everyone then your price would be lowered also.

graygables said:
The other big thing is the discounts aren't that great. I know they never promised discounts, but they groomed a "culture" of discount expectation among Passholders. people who are hearing "WDW family vacation for $1500", This will be my last annual pass for awhile. As long as I have AAA, it doesn't make much fiscal sense for me. We live in Ohio, so the AP actually created more trips than I would have taken otherwise. QUOTE]

$1500 family vacation is NOT a deal. Figure it out: value season, value resort, two adults, one junior and one child. The room rate would be based on the two adults only. Passes would be 3 "adults" and one child (3-10). It comes out to a lot less than $1500!

I stayed off site for years. Making 2-3 trips a year from Ohio :teeth: Disney lost hotel and food money on us. Then I discovered the AP and started staying on property due to the AP discounts and the "come back rates".

After 8 years of AP's I did not renew as I see no advantage to the AP anymore. MYW base ticket and one trip per year or every other year for us now.

People say Disney won't miss us ex-AP holders who came early and stayed on property. Yet we are what kept them in the black during 2002 and 2003 when Europe stopped coming. Another downturn in the economy and, to late they will see the mistake they have made.

kahiko said:
graygables said:
The other big thing is the discounts aren't that great. I know they never promised discounts, but they groomed a "culture" of discount expectation among Passholders. people who are hearing "WDW family vacation for $1500", This will be my last annual pass for awhile. As long as I have AAA, it doesn't make much fiscal sense for me. We live in Ohio, so the AP actually created more trips than I would have taken otherwise. QUOTE]

$1500 family vacation is NOT a deal. Figure it out: value season, value resort, two adults, one junior and one child. The room rate would be based on the two adults only. Passes would be 3 "adults" and one child (3-10). It comes out to a lot less than $1500!

I stayed off site for years. Making 2-3 trips a year from Ohio :teeth: Disney lost hotel and food money on us. Then I discovered the AP and started staying on property due to the AP discounts and the "come back rates".

After 8 years of AP's I did not renew as I see no advantage to the AP anymore. MYW base ticket and one trip per year or every other year for us now.

People say Disney won't miss us ex-AP holders who came early and stayed on property. Yet we are what kept them in the black during 2002 and 2003 when Europe stopped coming. Another downturn in the economy and, to late they will see the mistake they have made.

Are you saying if another travel slump occurs and Disney does offer good discounts with call in bookings the old way, that you will not come?

Sammie said:
kahiko said:
Are you saying if another travel slump occurs and Disney does offer good discounts with call in bookings the old way, that you will not come?

No. Discounts equaled 8 years of AP's and 3 trips a year. No decent AP discount has equaled one trip and the next will be off property. We were loyal they were not. My opinion, to which I am entitled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter