• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Those who have visited St. Thomas

buzzntink2

Earning My Ears
We have 3 children and are not sure which excursion to do? Magens Bay Beach Break or Secret Sands Beach Getaway?? We are assuming there are no car/booster seats for a 6 year old? Can anyone tell us about these two excursions?? Thank you!

Magen's Bay is a very calm, beautiful setting with lots of sand, shade and clear water. A great beach for little children. It costs $4 per person to enter. We took a taxi that we secured a few yards outside the port gate, instead of taking the open air bus. $8 per person per way. Food and rentals available, restrooms and picnic tables too.

Side note; Reboarding in St Thomas requires an I.D. and your KTW. We saw several people stopped at the port gate by customs while friends or family retrieved I.D.s left onboard. Some of the other islands are pretty lax in this regard.

60 year old kid enjoying Magen's Bay. Ahhhhhhh.:sunny:

The excursions are on an open air bus. Basically, big bench seats that hold 5-7 people in a row. No seatbelts, definitely no carseats.

We did it with our two kids (3 and 8) and had a great time.

Another family we chatted with on the beach were VERY unhappy about the taxi ride to the beach. They said their kids were crying in fear. I was like "really?"
I was far more afraid careening through old Siena in Italy!

Thank you both for your responses. That water looks fantastic! I'm a little nervous about transportation without car seats, but our child is 6 and will think it's an adventure!!! :) Chemist, you went to Magens as well? Thanks, again!!

We did Magen's Bay, correct.

We had a lovely time.

(On Tortola we did The Baths. Same taxi situation.)
Husband pointed out that Shanghai was far scarier!

Its very easy to just take a taxi on your own. A lot less money too. When we went it was packed. Not one inch of beach didnt habe a body on it. I would check to see how many ships are in port before going.

Coco Beach is also very nice. Sapphire Beach is our personal favorite.

Hate it. Crime ridden.

Forced to go there several times and couldn't wait to get out.

That holds for much of the Caribbean but St Thomas especially.

Thank you all for your responses. Lots to think about especially with three kids in tow. Happy cruising all!

Hate it. Crime ridden.

Forced to go there several times and couldn't wait to get out.

That holds for much of the Caribbean but St Thomas especially.

Really? I didn't notice that at all about St. Thomas. I didn't feel too safe in Nassau but they told us St. Thomas was fine. We loved it there, but I had no idea about this..

Really? I didn't notice that at all about St. Thomas. I didn't feel too safe in Nassau but they told us St. Thomas was fine. We loved it there, but I had no idea about this..

We have been to St. Thomas many times. We loved it. We even stayed on St. John one year and were more uncomfortable there than we were in St. Thomas. There is crime everywhere you go. Just like with being at home, while on vacation you should be careful of your surroundings and not assume that because you are on vacation everyone else is too.

There were a rash of robberies on St. John the year we stayed there. Many of the villas are not air conditioned and you have to leave windows open to get cross breezes. I don't think I slept one night while I was there. The place we stayed in was on the 3rd floor and a thief had climbed the outside of the resort to gain entrance and rob the previous tenants. While they were sleeping. It can happen anywhere.

No, I don't think so.
Im not sure where you were in St Thomas.. Perhaps you stayed in a better area/resort than I did. I was there for work and unfortunately was at the hands of the company.

MG
This is a cruise forum... I was on a ship, that is when I wasn't at one of the tourist areas. Working there and living there may be considered a bit different than being a tourist for the day. We found the few people we met and dealt with perfectly friendly and helpful. Neither witnessed nor heard of any criminal acts. Sorry you had a bad experience while living there, but the same may be said of many places, Chicago for example. I'd rather visit St. Thomas than Chicago any day.

This is a cruise forum... I was on a ship, that is when I wasn't at one of the tourist areas. Working there and living there may be considered a bit different than being a tourist for the day. We found the few people we met and dealt with perfectly friendly and helpful. Neither witnessed nor heard of any criminal acts. Sorry you had a bad experience while living there, but the same may be said of many places, Chicago for example. I'd rather visit St. Thomas than Chicago any day.
Lol!! I just noticed this was the cruise forum! That's the second time I've done that this week. Using the "new posts" option makes it really difficult to tell.

Oh my no... I didn't live there. But we did stay overnight many times in not the best of places.

That said, I have no doubt that Disney will offer safe excursions on the cruise.

MG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter