• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

those of you with expensive cars

If you like the CRV then a Pilot might be just what you are hoping to find. That is one car that I wouldn't hesitate to buy used. The first year they were out was 2003, and those would have about 100K miles now, generally, and are likely still going strong. More recent years less miles, more money but if you like the CRV then you sort of know what you are getting into.

When my kids were in car seats the mini van was the best thing I ever bought. The SUV came later when they could get to the 3rd row and buckle themselves. But to each his own.

But the PenFed 1.49% and 1.99% will make a huge difference in payments vs. a local bank financing.

I drive a Lexus sedan. I bought it used and saved a bundle over what it would have cost new.

Okay, trying to keep up.....

You are wanting a new SUV to drive the children in comfortably.

You have 2 children full time and 2 small children half the time?? How does that work? The dynamics are hard to figure.....are the two young ones your children with shared custody or your DH's children that he gets???

So, I would really rethink the whole expensive vehicle, especially since we are talking about a part-time need with a full time expense.

This reminds meof the family up the street that found out that they were having a surprise (oops pregnancy) baby so that meant they needed a new, bigger home. Of course they would have been totally fine where they were, especially for the first few years. But NO they "needed" a bigger home. So they built that bigger house in a lot on same street, could not sell first house ~ had to rent it~, finally sold with everything fine UNTIL the dad lost his job....things just did not end like they planned.

We were a family, with 4 kids, born within 4 1/2 yrs...lived in a small 3bedroom, 2 bath, 1100 sq ft home. We survived.
Finally we saved and looked carefully and were able to purchase larger home in good school district(reason for moving) and then had our "bonus" baby = 5 children.
The whole time driving a van and loving it.

To me (never really a big fan of SUVs).....SUVs are just the modern day version of the older days station wagon....only jacked up higher off ground. I bet most SUV drivers would never drive a station wagon. LOL!!!

So, while planning on affording the newer vehicle today, keep in mind what changes could happen in the future....further affecting how expensive something really is.

Again, good luck.

I find it rather hypocritical (and funny) that you criticize the family up the street, because they aren't able to afford things after the husband lost his job.

Umm...hello, pot, it is the kettle calling.

I find it rather hypocritical (and funny) that you criticize the family up the street, because they aren't able to afford things after the husband lost his job.

Umm...hello, pot, it is the kettle calling.

:scared1: I know-its like the most bizarre thing evah!:lmao:

Very interesting idea.

My cousin has a Toyota Highlander and added a 3rd row. She did it through the dealer. Her kids are now big and can't fit back there as the leg room is for a 4'8" person at best, but it is certainly an option if you just need it occasionally or just for running around town, which it sounds like the OP is talking about.

Dawn

You also might want to try thinking outside the box a bit.

My Dad was a coachmaker, and it's one of those little-known things that most cars/vans that have a cargo bay can accomodate an additional smaller seat row. There are many custom coach shops that can do this for you for a fraction of what a new vehicle would cost you, especially since two of these kids apparently only live with you part-time? When properly built and installed, aftermarket seats will meet all the same standards as the original seats (although they won't have dedicated airbags, but airbags are not a great idea for kids in carseats anyway.)

As the most convenient example: littleseats.com can sell you a matched third-row seat for a CRV, complete with mounts and shoulder belts for under $1100. You can install it yourself if you know cars, or have a body shop do it for you. (Dealers will NOT do it, because they have issues with creating a non-standard trim level.)

Add a hitch connector and a cargo box at the same time for when the seats are in use, and you'll still have enough space for your groceries.

Or, if you REALLY want a new 7 passenger car, you can consider a Mazda RX-9 or a Hyundai Veracruz; both of them have an MSRP of under $29K and are very nice vehicles.

Very interesting idea.

My cousin has a Toyota Highlander and added a 3rd row. She did it through the dealer. Her kids are now big and can't fit back there as the leg room is for a 4'8" person at best, but it is certainly an option if you just need it occasionally or just for running around town, which it sounds like the OP is talking about.

Dawn

2008+ or the older model? The highlander got a lot bigger in 08. The previous third row was tight. None of them will have the room of a minivan but the 08+ is better.

I am quite sure it is pre-2008.

Dawn

2008+ or the older model? The highlander got a lot bigger in 08. The previous third row was tight. None of them will have the room of a minivan but the 08+ is better.

If you like the CRV then a Pilot might be just what you are hoping to find. That is one car that I wouldn't hesitate to buy used. The first year they were out was 2003, and those would have about 100K miles now, generally, and are likely still going strong. More recent years less miles, more money but if you like the CRV then you sort of know what you are getting into.

When my kids were in car seats the mini van was the best thing I ever bought. The SUV came later when they could get to the 3rd row and buckle themselves. But to each his own.

But the PenFed 1.49% and 1.99% will make a huge difference in payments vs. a local bank financing.

03 to 05 had transmission issues, 06+ is the way to go with pilots. They also made some interior changes and cosmetic changes in 06.

The other thing to consider with the pilot or any DOHC V6 with a timing belt is the belt replacement. It is due at 105k on the pilot so you would want to make sure any Pilot around or over 105k have it done, or budget 800 for it in the price.

The are great vehicles, very versatile.

I have a 2010 Highlander, the 3rd row is plenty big for a carload of teenaged (full man-sized) boys. I routinely transport 5 or 6. The middle seat would be plenty big for 3 kids across, including car seats. I would put the oldest up front, it has an airbag that turns itself off if the kid sitting in the seat doesn't weigh enough. It tows and I put a cargo box on the luggage racks if we are travelling and I need both the 3rd row and luggage room. The Honda pilot has the same configuration. Both cars bought one year used are very reasonable (ie not expensive) and maintenance/gas/insurance is in line with a sedan rather than an SUV.

I understand your desire not to buy a van. I feel the same way. To each his own.

This car has been perfect for me and my large family. Save up. Buy used. Look until you find the right car, don't impulse buy a car. Recognize that you absolutely can put your oldest up front, especially given that you only have the youngest 2 half time, I sure wouldn't saddle myself with a huge car and a huge payment. That sounds more like a "want" to me than a "need". So you have to decide what is best for you.

I am quite sure it is pre-2008.

Dawn

The 08 is Pilot sized, the 07 seemed just a little larger than the CRV or RAV4.

I bought a Pilot in the summer of 07, we looked at the new 08 highlander but got a smoking deal on an 07 pilot.

Well, she didn't really buy it for the 3rd row, but did have it put in as an extra.

I think the CrV 3rd row option would be doable if cost is a huge issue. It would suffice for those few times the extra kids come and the running around town.

It would not work for a long trip, but if you only take a trip with the step kids (which I assume she is talking about) once a year or so, then you could rent a mini-van for that and still be WAY further ahead financially.

Dawn

The 08 is Pilot sized, the 07 seemed just a little larger than the CRV or RAV4.

I bought a Pilot in the summer of 07, we looked at the new 08 highlander but got a smoking deal on an 07 pilot.

Id be willing to bet most minivan owners, werent exactly excited to buy their first one....but Id also bet most of them are also like me, and know that even when the kids are gone, the van will stay!

My DH was dead set against it, but once we drove one, with 2 toddlers (and their carseats) and a baby in the carrier....he fell in love with having the door open at the push of a button :rotfl: That was all it took. Our first was not even one of the better models. Now we have the Honda Ody with moon roof, dual sliders, dvd, and 4 sets of wireless headphones....hubby was beyond geeked :rotfl2:

My thing was always, first you pay more for an SUV, then you keep on paying more at the pump for the whole time you own it! Though the poster above was right, come summer when gas tops $4, you will probably find your dream ride for sale :thumbsup2

I scanned through all 8 pages of this thread so forgive me if I missed this but I didn't see anyone give any standard guidelines for car shopping so here it is.

Best choice, obviously, is to save up and pay cash for your vehicles.

If you must finance, the rule of thumb is to borrow for no more than 3 years with a payment not exceeding 10% of your monthly income. If you have to stretch out the loan longer than that or pay a higher percentage of income, you are probably overspending.

So to answer the OP's question about how others afford it, either they earn a lot of money or they are living beyond their means. What should you do? If you have your heart set on a particular vehicle, buy used as old as necessary to afford it within the above guidelines.

Personally, we drive a 1998 Camry and a 2000 Sienna (yes, we like minivans). Both were bought used. Both now have about 150,000 miles on them with no plans to replace either anytime soon.

You could take out a loan for longer. We purchased our van, brand new in 2007 (Hyundia Entourage, which they longer make), we took out a loan for 6 yrs. I could not see paying $500+ on a vehicle, so 6yrs knocked it down to about $360 a month. We paid it off in Oct 2011, early.

We also had a Ford Expedition. While, I love the big part of SUV, I hated the lack of trunk space, you can't fit a stroller, never mind bags of groceries. It had 3 row seating (sat 8). I hated throwing the carseat up into it, I hate leaning over and crawling half way in to buckle a todder too. I hate my butt hung out the door everytime I put a kid in. With 5 kids, it was fine, but the whole process of getting the 2 younger ones in and out, just sucked.

My Inlaws have Traverse I believe, but their payment is quite high, over $500, and while I like driving it, very roomy inside, trunk space is ok, not mini van great, but not Expedition suck, I still can't see spending that kind of cash, heck my mortgage is only $988 for a 3000sq foot house with 2.5 bathrooms in it. So I can't justify, plus one income family not going to happen. Now, if I could just about live in it, bathroom and whatnot then maybe :rotfl:

So try stuff out, invision picking up an infant at about 9 months old, and tossing a carseat into it. Then decide price point and loan length, you may need to go longer to get what you want. Also, if you buy new, and the loan length is too long and/or rate too high, check your local bank or credit union, sometimes their rates are lower.

For me it was just making what I wanted a priory; and buying older used models:
2 years ago bought a Honda Pilot 2007 because I always wanted one.
This summer we bought a hybrid travel trailer camper that technically the Pilot could tow. After 1 trip to Chicago, w/ camper to see DS graduate, from boot camp, I decided my Pilot had to go!

In November I traded Pilot for 2006 Nissan Armada w/ 53,000 miles on it. ( traded for exactly what I owed on it) Now I love this SUV, It's huge, but it's amazing to drive and it was made to haul a camper double mine's size.
I don't mind driving an older molder as I always get the fancy model.

MomXX5, no, an SUV is NOT like a station wagon of days gone by. It has more of a truck and van combined feel. We've owned 2 vans before and I now have a 4WD Suzuki XL7 which gets over 20MPG and I love it (they stopped making it last year:sad1:) I have no issue with vans, just currently love my SUV. It is definitely not a gas guzzler, but a little larger than the CRV. I garden a lot and need the back roomy area for supplies. Everyone has to go with what they like ,their needs, and what fits their budget - to each his own :woohoo: Also, we needed something that would tow on all 4 wheels behind our MH and this works great.

i dont really care if im a mini van driver in denial....at least im not rude and leave helpless people on the side of the road. maybe they couldn't AFFORD new tires, way to be judgemental.

I don't leave them helpless, I just don't pull them out with my Taurus. I offer rides and a phone call. If they can't afford good tires, then they can't afford the lawyer bills after they kill someone. Or afford to replace their car after they hit a tree. They got lucky when they just slid off the road.

I also put my $ where my mouth is. Before winter i measure the tread depth of the tires, if they are under 6/32 they are replaced. All other times i replace them at 4/32. The legal minimum is 2/32 BUT that is for dry weather.

Also, the 2000 to 2006 Taurus Wagons also had a 3rd row. They are cheep to buy and the insurance is cheep too. When mine eventually dies it is going to be replaced with a Mazda 5. It has seating for 6 and a drives more like a car then a minivan.

Id be willing to bet most minivan owners, werent exactly excited to buy their first one....but Id also bet most of them are also like me, and know that even when the kids are gone, the van will stay!

Not us. We were thrilled to get our first minivan. We had actually talked about getting one before we had our daughter but didn't actually do it until after she was born. It is so convenient to have a vehicle that can carry stuff. When we just had 2 regular cars, it was often a challenge when we bought anything of any size. Try getting a 24 foot ladder home from Home Depot in a Camry.

We bought our first van in 1996 and have had one ever since. We only have one kid and she is now 16 but the van isn't going anywhere. We pack that thing solid when we drive to Disney every year.

OT ~ I'm pretty sure that she babysits for the little one and will babysit her little sister when she is born. I recognize her from one of the Gymboree forums that I frequent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter