those Dvc members with only 150 points

gharrer

Mouseketeer
Are you able to manage on this amount? Do you wish you had gotten more points to begin with. How many days vacation can you take with this amount? Nancy

I have more than 150 points.

but it depends upon you.

if you can stay in studios (some member can't) - then you can stay 5 days (sun-thurs - leaving fri) in OKW for 40 points - Sept, Oct, Nov(most of), Dec (most of) and Jan.

so you could easily get 15 days (3 weeks) on 150 points if you stay at OKW in a studio during value season.

If you decide you must have at least a 1-bedroom - then you are talking at least 80 points for the same 5 days.

depends upon you.

I happen to love studios.

I have 150 points. Will be making my 1st DVC trip in 10 days. I have 6 days (no weekend nights) this month, and I have booked 7 days (including 1 weekend night)planned for the end of Nov. Both in studios @ home resort of SSR. I do wish I bought more points to begin with, but for now I think I'll be fine. I bought what I could afford right now. And in a couple of years, I'm sure I will want to do an add-on, but you can manage with 150 points.

We manage, barely :earsboy: ...we would be doing fine if we had stuck to our original plan when we bought. Before DVC, we had mainly stayed at the Moderate resorts, primarily POFQ and POR. We had done a few nights at Wilderness Lodge and really liked it, and been in a studio at Boardwalk and thought it was very luxurious, so when they announced the VWL we decided that we would try and buy in there, planning on only doing a studio villa each trip to make our points go farther. (We wound up buying at BWV instead after we determined that the convenience to Epcot and the Studios was too good to pass up.) On our 2nd trip as members, we made the mistake of trying out a 1br villa...well, it's just so hard to go back to a studio and give up that full kitchen, whirlpool tub, 2nd TV, in-room laundry, etc., so we now have to scrimp and plan to get the most out of our 150, and are borrowing into next year's points for this year's trip. Maybe when the contract is paid off we will be able to afford to add a few more points on.

gharrer said:
Are you able to manage on this amount? Do you wish you had gotten more points to begin with. How many days vacation can you take with this amount? Nancy

I've added 120 pts. a month later. :teeth:

Everyones different. We lived on 55 points for almost 10 years. Basically, we went once every 3 years. But now we have 2 kids and need to take more time to do the same amount of stuff. Now we NEED a 1 bedroom and would like a 2 BR. Now the kids are 7 and 3 and are going to want to go more than once every 3 years.

We now would like to stay 8-10 days a trip instead of 5-6 in a 1 BR so we just bought 240 points at SSR and sold our 55 points back to my parents. The 240 are going to work well for US.

Look at your habits and desires..plan what you would like to do for the next 5 years...is it enough? Can you bank/borrow to make it work? Finances and habits/desires dictate your needs.

We bought 150 BCV points in Oct 2003 and had our 1st trip home to a studio in Nov 2004--9 nights, which was a fantastically long vacation for us--and we "only" used 130 pts and felt empowered having some left over!

Must confess, we wanted a 1BR as soon as we walked into the studio! There were none available that week and we really were fine with the studio. . .but we did want more. . . :rolleyes:

This year we are going Thanksgiving week (DD is in school now, so our options for vacations are more limited) and we're getting that 1BR BCV for 8 nights which means we'll only have 70 pts left coming to us in 2006. For us, after paying for airfare, it just doesn't seem to make sense to have a shorter trip, even though the weekends do use a lot of points. We also just aren't the types to move around during our vacation--we want to park it and just have a "home" while we're away.

I can't help but keep my eye on the resales and everytime there is an incentive I start crunching the numbers to add on.

But, have we Needed more yet? No.
Would it feel good to have more? Sure (except for in the bank acct).
Would we use more? Probably, but who knows. . .it's fun to plan ahead, but let's fact it, there is only so far in advance you can have a clue of what life will bring to change your plans. . .

I think you'll probably Want more than 150, but that doesn't mean you can't do just fine (ad then some!) with 150.

As much as I tried to convince my wife that we needed more, her prettier and smarter head prevaild. She reminded me that we've always stayed at Port Orleans (or as she insists on calling it Dixie Landing) and had plenty of room.

We have a week at an SSR studio, the 1st week of Dec, and four days, the 2nd week of this coming May (who else will be there?) for which I had to rent nine extra points. I guess if a studio works for your situation, then 150 points is good.

However...who couldn't use a few more points?

gharrer said:

We only have 100 points (purchased through resale).

That gets us 3 vacations a year. We get a THREE 5-day (4-night) stays in an OKW studio during the "cheap" seasons (Sun-Thur). AND - we still have 4 points left over! One option we are considering for the future is maybe doing TWO 4-day (3-night) at OKW which will leave us some options for a third 4-day (3-night) stay at another DVC resort.

And, I have to say, the new discount on AP's has been AWESOME for us. We spend 15 days in the parks for a little over $20 a day!

And, yes, looking back, we probably should've gotten more points. But, that's not really a logical decision - more of that wicked disease that infects the DISBoards - "addonitis".

It's not a question of "do you have enough"? I've never heard ANYONE say they have too many points! So I'm afraid it comes down to what you can afford. We bought 150 pts last year thinking it'd be plenty, but then went to Disney twice last year, going this year for 11 days including a Cruise - we've now borrowed all next years points and haven't even tried a 1 bdrm yet!

Add-on fever is a terrible disease... :guilty:

It all depends on how often you want to go "home". I bought 150 points in 2002 and used the 2003 points plus the extra 150 points they gave me when I bought them to go on a cruise in May 2003. I banked the 2004 points and will use them and almost all of 2005 points for a 2 bedroom in October. We take my son, daughter-in-law and 2 (3 & 5 years old) grandchildren. It is my plan to take them every 2 years and use the off-year to vacation by ourselves. Works out well this way.

I am so glad we only bought 150 points. There was a part of me (after our first DVC trip) that was SO excited that I wanted more points! But DH held strong, and he was right. We love WDW, but we also enjoy other vacations. We like to go on the Disney Cruise also, and we found that it is better to pay cash than points for that.

We use studios, but have stayed in 1 and 2 bedroom units (they are nice, but we don't really 'need' them). Just having the kitchenette in the studio is a BIG bonus for us.

We have also decided to cut back to 1 time a year for our trips to WDW. We love it there, but as I said, we want to go other places also. We are making WDW our spring break trip with a short Disney Cruise along with days at WDW.

Anyway, we are getting by, and we won't be adding. 150 points gives us some very nice vacations without us feeling like we are locked into a Disney only vacation all the time.

DJ

We only have 150 points. Bought BCV in 2002. We took our first vacation home in Oct 2003, stayed in a 2 bedroom for a week. This August we will be also staying in a 2 bedroom for a week, plus we are taking my Sister and Inlaws, they are getting a Studio (Sun-Thurs). We are in the hole till 2007 but we are fine with that. We only planned to go everyother year, and we are on target to do that.

We have three boys, so we will always get a 2 bedroom, we just go on off season, like October or Late August. We will never go at Easter and Christmas.

One thing I've noticed on this board - A great deal of the posters have way more than 150 points. To them, staying in a studio is saving points. To me, I bought my points based on staying in a studio during lower point times. However, next year I will do an ALaska cruise and 6 nights in WDW. It takes banking and borrowing and will use most of my points through 2007. But, I could take a week at WDW in 2007 and 2008 and be back on track by 2009. I figure I can take ~ 2 weeks per year after that. Three if I avoided weekends. Prior to now, we went every 3 to 4 years.

If you are used toa regular hotel room, a studio will be an upgrade. If you don't have enough points for a 1 BR, dont' stay there and you won't know what you're missing.

Look at how often you want to go, when you want to go, where you want to stay and what type of room you plan to stay in. That will tell you how many points you need.

Good luck!

We have 150 points. We go every other year.

Year one was 282 points for a 2 bedroom BW in October - 7 nights - took my MIL and her sister.

Year two - no DVC points used (took a cruise for cash)

Year three - 174 points - one bedroom BW Standard view - 7 nights

Year four - no points (another cruise on cash)

Year five - Two two bedrooms at BW for six nights to take my family - can't remember the point cost, but its below the 450 we will have available.

Beyond that, haven't planned.

We've been quite content. When we talk about owning "more points" it isn't to go more often, its to be able to invite more people.

We decided to buy 150 OKW points after we returned home from a trip in 1995. We banked them all and were able to maintain a surplus for several years by careful planning and banking. We used the points for a 2BR at OKW in the "cheap" season.

We would arrive on Saturdays but stay for cash at a Moderate resort, then move to OKW for Sunday-Thursday. Then we would go down to Vero for the weekend using points to stay in the Inn.

We have since added on at Vero and the kids are on their own, so the pressure is off. I think I'll have to start checking into renting out surplus points soon, the thought of which makes my brain hurt.

KS Jeff said:
We have since added on at Vero and the kids are on their own, so the pressure is off. I think I'll have to start checking into renting out surplus points soon, the thought of which makes my brain hurt.

That is another reason we don't want more points; we don't want to figure out the renting stuff.

With 150 points, we can manage them well to have some great vacations with the kids while they are young, and hopefully when they are older and on their own, we can bank points every other year and still invite them to come with us sometimes.

Anyway, our 150 points are working well for us as long as we don't mind the studios (and we don't--as someone else said, they are an upgrade compared to the other resorts since you have a kitchenette).

DJ

I have been a member since 1997. I used to go down and visit my sister (who worked for the Mouse) 3 to 4 times a year. Now I am a teacher so I can only go during the high times. I have exchanges to Lake George for my parents, take the 7 day cruise as our honeymoon, put up the out of town guests for my sister's wedding, and taken countless trips down there all on points. Usually I stay in a studio. Not going this year to save the points for next year when I am taking my husband's family for a week (last week of August 2006) to OKW. They have never been to WDW. So it can be done.
Angie

athenna said:
I have 150 points. Will be making my 1st DVC trip in 10 days. I have 6 days (no weekend nights) this month, and I have booked 7 days (including 1 weekend night)planned for the end of Nov. Both in studios @ home resort of SSR. I do wish I bought more points to begin with, but for now I think I'll be fine. I bought what I could afford right now. And in a couple of years, I'm sure I will want to do an add-on, but you can manage with 150 points.

How exactly do you get six nights with no weekends? I would love to know your secret:)))))

DAVE

Daitcher said:
How exactly do you get six nights with no weekends? I would love to know your secret:)))))

DAVE

No secret. She said 6 days, no weekend nights and 7 days, 1 weekend night. It'd be a nice trick, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter