Those Disney Smells, do you ever have one?

Mousemom

DIS Veteran
My 17 year old son texted me from school Friday to let me know he had one of those Disney smells walking down the hall by the wood shop. He said it smelled like EPCOT inoventions. This happens to us every now and then and we always refer to it as the "Disney Smell." Does anyone else have these moments or are we just Disney Crazy? Next trip is in September.

I can't say I've ever had a Disney smell. I might have to think about that one. But we do talk about the Orlando smell in our family, which is what we experience as soon as we step off the plane and outside into the Orlando warm air. It's not a bad smell, it's quite refreshing after a Pittsburgh winter, and we look forward to it every year.

Totally! I was sitting in a chair and the door was opened and all of a sudden I just remembered the All Star Sports. I couldn't get it out of my head.

I had one last week. A school bus was pulling out and I got a big whiff of diesel exhaust and it smelled just like the Disney bus!!!

that smell of the humidity when you get outside the airport terminal - we're home!!!

my DH just reminded me of the smell of pesticides in the early morning on our way to the Pop food court for breakfast - breathe deep.....

I have two:

A few years ago I walked from my office to the shopping center next door for lunch. It was a massively hot and humid day, the parking lot had just been paved, and there was an armored car sitting outside the store to make a pickup. The combination of ozone and deisel exhaust hit me and suddenly I was at the bus stop at Downtown Disney. I stopped right there in the parking lot for a moment and closed my eyes just to savor the memory.

Some years ago I was chatting online with someone and pulled out a recent set of WDW park maps to check something. When I pulled them out of the cabinet, the smell of the printers ink was so fresh and strong that I was suddenly standing in front of the big park map rack at the Epcot turnstiles. Again, I sat still and closed my eyes for a moment to enjoy the memory.

Scent is one of the most powerful memory triggers, as is sound. I get these feelings from listening to some park music or watching my old vacation videos, too.

All the time! The bathroom at the end of my building at work always smells like Pirates! I don't know how well that means the plumbing is at work but it always makes my day!

I love those smell moments. When I went down to my basement it smelled like the Port Orleans. I was in heaven. Now I just like to sneak down there and just sit!

One of my earliest memories is staying at the Polynesian when I was about five years old. Something they used to clean the rooms there at the time smelled like peaches. Even now, almost thirty years later, whenever I smell peaches I think of the Polynesian. :)

On our last trip, I bought some of the Laila perfume from the Norway pavilion. I don't wear it often, but the last time I did we were on our way to dinner, and when my sister got in the car she said "you smell like Norway!" It's a wonderful way to get that "Disney feeling" all day.:upsidedow

I purposefully bought a new Body Shop body butter before our first Disney trip (orange smelling one) and used it at Disney and now I use it all the time and every time I put it on my son says "you smell like disney".....I love that,
This year in January I had purchased a new face cream to take away (not on purpose this time) and now each time I get out of the pool in the mornings and put on my face cream I am reminded of standing in our room at CBR after my swim putting on my face cream....Love that.

Oh yes!I always seem to smell the water from the waterrides in disney.Whenever I smell it I think of splash mountain.I miss that smell:(

But hopefully I'll smell it again in May when I go to WDW.:cool1:

Funny this came up as a subject. The other day I was walking from my car into my office on a pretty clear morning and between the smell and the sounds of birds I could have closed my eyes and be back at the
World., in the mornings headin out early for a day at the parks....I love when that happens.

My 17 year old son texted me from school Friday to let me know he had one of those Disney smells walking down the hall by the wood shop. He said it smelled like EPCOT inoventions. This happens to us every now and then and we always refer to it as the "Disney Smell." Does anyone else have these moments or are we just Disney Crazy? Next trip is in September.

Not specifically Disney smell, but my college daughter will text me and say "It smells like Florida." Usually when it's been cold and a warm day comes along and has "that" smell. I don't know what the smell is, maybe just warm air, but I know it when I smell it.

I've been going to WDW since I was 5, and when I was little I knew IMMEDIATELY that we were in Florida when I smelled "That Florida Smell." I don't know what it is, but Florida has a distinct smell. Maybe it's swamps or marshes or something.

The water at WDW has a smell. It's not exactly pleasant, but I've never smelled anything like it anywhere else, so while I'm there I absolutely LOVE that smell...it reminds me that I'm home.

Epcot has a smell, like new buildings.

The Resorts also have a smell.

I'm a very sensory-nostalgic person, so I LOVE all the WDW smells!

I never respond to threads, but this one hit way to close to home!! I was just telling my husband the other day that while walking the dog I suddenly smelled the lobby of the Beach Club, and it took me right back. I loved it!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who is "crazy" in this way. I also have tried to buy lotions for trips in order to remember the scent later, but it doesn't always work. :rotfl:

If only DD4 could read, she could see all those who have a Disney Sniffer like her!! The only difference is that EVERYTHING smells like Disney to her! I don't even know where she picks up the smell, cause most times I'm standing right next to her when she smells it but I don't. Last week it was "It smells like the pool at Disney! Smell it, Mom?"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter