This Was the Feast-A Most Certainly True Lutheran Food Review-4/26-The End

We were there for the first night of the MVMCP, maybe things went downhill from there or the cookie bakers got bored with the sugar cookies!:)

Another LCMSer here from southwestern Indiana. This is the first series of your reviews I've read, and I'm enjoying them a great deal. Have you eaten at the Bistro in EPCOT? We're going down again in May and have one reservation at Narcoossee's (where we've eaten and enjoyed several times) and the other at the Bistro (where we've never eaten). Just wondering your thoughts on that newbie.

I completely love your dining review and being a lifelong Lutheran myself, I was drawn to the title. Congrats to you and your fiancee and I hope you get back to Disney soon. I despair to think your review is over :sad1:

God Bless !!

As usual, awesome, AWESOME, AWESOME reviews. :thumbsup2 I still remember your "moment" at Cali Grill (isn't it great when everything just comes together?). I love how you just really love eating out.

I have so many questions, I don't know where to begin, so I will just gather my thoughts, get the popcorn::, and let you finish your reviews.

Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue
Fulton’s Crab
Jiko
Cinderella’s Royal Table
Time to wrap things up-it has been way too long since I have posted and schoolwork has taken precedence over Disney-so sad, but true.

So here is the fast-fast version:
Hoop-Dee-Doo…
Go to the late show if you are not a large family. Book really early and get what we got-the front row center table up against the stage-even on the Dining Plan. The food was hot, good, and fresh and drinks were never empty. The show is corny and campy and fun. We probably won’t repeat this until we have kids, just because it is something we feel we have seen. The food was a nice diversion from Signature Restaurant Experience-like eating a picnic at home. The dessert was the low-light. “Frozen strawberry” shortcake is not a good idea, in my opinions. We ate it, though, because we paid for it. The beans were yummy, and had pieces of the rib meat from the night before in them to make smokey. The salad was much nicer than expected-it actually had grape tomatoes in it.

Jiko…

Jiko still was understaffed in the dining room when I was there in November. My fiancée’s green beans were so lightly cooked that they were crunchy raw. My duck was undercooked, and I like mine medium-rare. I was hungry so I ate it, and sawed at it until it came apart. For me, the wild boar (cooked pink) appetizer was the best part of the meal. I gently told the server my comments when she asked and she started to get defensive when I suggested the duck and green beans could have been cooked more. She insisted it was cooked correctly and I pulled out the proverbial chef card-which she argued with, saying my perception of food was out of date because I was no longer practicing professionally. She asked me how long ago I was a chef, and I told her 18 months. So, she did take my comments to the chef, who finally conceded to the mistakes. I think the restaurant is great, but, just like other restaurants, there are always bad nights, and employees that need training.

Fulton’s Crab House…

We had a table of 8 people-lots of relatives joined us here because my Florida relatives have been to and paid for the parks too many times. Fultons was yummy, charming and pricey. I had a soup and sandwich combo-Shrimp Po’ Boy and Creamy Clam Cowder, DF had the same. If you want a fried fish fix, my grandfather and great uncle got the Captain’s Platter. It looked fantastic, and there was not much left. This is a great respite from the parks.

Cinderella’s Royal Table…
Go to the castle to get your picture taken with the princesses. Take your little girls and they will be astonished. We got moldy grapes (we were given a fast pass & apology for the inconvenience and the food was not replaced) on the antipasto platter. Standard kids menu items is available. I liked my food (had the braised beef pie). Fiancée was not thrilled. Not worth two deluxe credits, maybe two regular dining credits). They cheap out on the food so they can afford princesses, photo packs and the give-aways, which are very cool. There are some surprises that I am not going to give away. Our magic wands, swords, and wishing stars will be at our Disney-themed wedding reception in Indiana.

Wrap up…
It may be a while until we get to go back to WDW again-but that does not mean we didn’t love it. We had great food and not so great food. Rising food prices and the dining plan are damaging the potential fabulousness of many of the restaurants. Still, we ate like kings, and my standards are extremely high. I don’t know if we will get a dining plan again unless we are there for free dining. Too many things to try and my fiancée has a vastly smaller appetite and stomach capacity than I. There are days when I would have liked 2 appetizers and a sushi plate at California Grill rather than 3 courses. There are days when I would have liked a turkey leg for lunch. There are also days when I did not want to eat as much. This is not possible with the dining plans, and they now hold less and less value for a higher cost-just like the rest of our economy.

We plan to return for another trip when I am done with school. By then, the fantasyland expansion and the “Be Our Guest” restaurant will be finished. Woo-hoo.
Thank you for reading to the end.

It's so sad that the reliving of our wonderful trip is now over :sad2: I loved every second of our trip and can't wait to go back :goodvibes

:lovestruc I love you so much :lovestruc

Again, thanks for sharing your very honest reviews. My husband and I came to a similar conclusion about the dining plan this year. We found many of the non-signature, table service restaurants we ate at to be underwhelming, at best. And there are so many really delicious snacks to be had through the World, that being on the dining plan inhibits your enjoyment of them because you're always so stuffed from eating a ridiculously large meal. Personally, I'm looking forward to going to the Cali Grill and just, as you put it, getting appetizers and sush. :thumbsup2

Good luck and congratulations on the wedding! :goodvibes

I've just spent the evening reading through you reviews enjoying every word and critique...... and then I came to your HDDoo review.......

I'm not a chef but I AM a foodie. My hubs and kids are foodies as well. (19 and 15)

We did the HDR a couple of years ago and while the show was all new and really fun, the food was NOT. We were hungry and ate as much as we could yes, but none of us want to go back- ever. Especially for 2 dining credits. The chicken, corn, baked beans, and strawberry shortcake thing (beans really gross btw- too sweet with sugar. Not even brown sugar), is EXACTLY what we get here in TX at any and all Kentucky Fried Chicken chains. The new to us items were the ribs which are tasteless unless they are smothered with sauce. We're from TX, BBQ only needs sauce if it's bad.

The ribs were most obviously marinated or doused with a hickory smoke flavoring which is OKAY..... but that was the only flavor we got without the sauce.

Again,I ate LOTS of em. It was late and we were all starrrrrving.

Refills and waitress care was really good but the food was *meh*.

As a family we all agree, been there done that.

I love your reviews no matter *SMOOCHEZ*

I've just spent the evening reading through you reviews enjoying every word and critique...... and then I came to your HDDoo review.......

I'm not a chef but I AM a foodie. My hubs and kids are foodies as well. (19 and 15)

We did the HDR a couple of years ago and while the show was all new and really fun, the food was NOT. We were hungry and ate as much as we could yes, but none of us want to go back- ever. Especially for 2 dining credits. The chicken, corn, baked beans, and strawberry shortcake thing (beans really gross btw- too sweet with sugar. Not even brown sugar), is EXACTLY what we get here in TX at any and all Kentucky Fried Chicken chains. The new to us items were the ribs which are tasteless unless they are smothered with sauce. We're from TX, BBQ only needs sauce if it's bad.

The ribs were most obviously marinated or doused with a hickory smoke flavoring which is OKAY..... but that was the only flavor we got without the sauce.

Again,I ate LOTS of em. It was late and we were all starrrrrving.

Refills and waitress care was really good but the food was *meh*.

As a family we all agree, been there done that.

I love your reviews no matter *SMOOCHEZ*

I'm sorry you didn't care for it. I also agree that my hunger level had something to do with my enjoyment. I agree with your barbecue assessment. Thanks for reading through my blather. :) The stars at night are big and bright...

Darnit! You know I am obligated as a true Texan to clap 4 times and sing DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!

You Sir, are a Jedi.

:worship:

Fabulous review! It was great reading and very informative. Glad you has a great time and congrats to you and your fiance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter