This tipping thing is really out of hand

I'm one of those who isn't afraid to leave nothing as a tip.

Yeah, OK, so you chose to be a server at this here restaurant I'm eating at. You chose to be in the hospitality industry, at least for now. And as a representative of that industry, and your employer, and yourself, you should conduct yourself appropriately.

If you are average, and give us the average experience, then you get roughly 16 percent, because I double the tax amount to get the tip amount.

If you're above average, you begin at 20 percent.

If you're below average, I'll tip you the amount we were taxed.

If you just plain suck, I will leave zero dollars and cents, and write an explanation on a napkin or the receipt.

I've met too many people in the industry who think they're entitled to tips because of the profession they chose. And that's just not true. You have to earn them.

With regards to Sonic: Oklahoma is HQ for the company and here the carhops all start at minimum wage. Because of such, I don't tip.

:worship:

I wish you wouldn't make assumptions about what I do as an employer. In fact I do have bonus programs as well as other recognition in place. I don't make any more money or lose any money whether you tip or not. It's your opportunity to either monetize your appreciation directly to your servers, or not. Your choice. And if you're that angry about a tip jar, you're probably the type that is generally demanding and hard to deal with, that I need to make it up to them to have to deal with at a generally happy place. I am done defending my choices to you, and you can moodily go on your way, making hostile assumptions. Have a fabulous day, if you can!

Sent from my iPod touch using DISBoards
I can assure you I am a very easy going customer, not at all moody :rotfl2: Nor am I angry. Talk about making assumptions :rotfl: I have just stated my opinion that employers that allow, or worse yet encourage tip jars are greedy.

It is my opinion that if employers put out tip jars, they are acknowledging that their employees deserve to be paid more and that they are unwilling to provide that extra compensation, thus asking the customer to reward for good service.

You are putting the responsibility of rewarding your employees on your customer. I find it rude and greedy of the establishment owner.

Now, I would never say anything to the kids nor would I be difficult because of the tip jar. However, if there are two establishments providing the same service, I will definitely patronize the one where the employees are proud to do their job and are not being asked by their employers to beg for tips.

I hold no disdain for the employees, only the employers that encourage their workers to grub more money from the customers. Money that obviously, by the mere appearance of a tip jar, the employers are unwilling to give to their employees.

Good service should be expected. A customer should not be so surprised by good service that they feel the need to pay extra for it.

As I said before, I can't wait to see tip jars in banks (I counted your money correctly, give me a tip) and other professional establishments.

As the OP said, the tip jars for just doing your job have become ridiculous. Just because you are in a food industry does not mean that you deserve to pressure for tips. It is not a tipped position. The employer should be compensating their employees adequately so that a tip jar is not necessary.

Maybe you didn't read closely. My kids are well-paid. The lowest paid is getting $9.60 an hour for their training period and will rise to $10.25 when they have proven themselves ready.

I put out a tip jar because my kids also try and go above and beyond to be entertaining and give good service, so if someone wants to tip them for that, good for them! And the only way I can see to be fair about it is to have them split tips at the end of their shift - otherwise the ones assigned only to backroom duties that day would not have a chance at any tips that shift. My kids appreciate the tips they get because they know they are for good service only, not because they're paid poorly.

This confuses me...you put the tip jar out to encourage above and beyond performance...and yet, you make it be split amongst your staff. I understand your reasoning of fairness. But, if Jane is doing amazing, and she gets compensated for it, why should Lucy who is twiddling her hair half the time, get somehow rewarded for it?

By the way, for the people that are doing amazing jobs, isn't the reward a raise, a promotion, not being fired? That's the incentive to work hard. My daddy is the hardest working guy I know. And he does his job, and he goes way above and beyond the call of duty. And he doesn't get tipped for it, and he is not allowed to get tipped for it. And that's fine; he'd never complain. But, sometimes, you should go above and beyond simply because it's the right thing to do. The knowledge that you did the absolute best job you could do is your own reward. That's what he has taught me anyway.

Putting tip jars out tells the customer that tips are expected. The establishment owner has now relieved him/herself of the responsibility of encouraging and rewarding employees for going above and beyond. They are maximizing their profits and now putting the responsibility of rewarding good employees on the customer by asking them to pay more for their product. It is greedy.

The good thing is that it is starting to backfire, as evidenced by this thread. Customers are becoming more and more annoyed at being coerced to pay more for a product. I know many of my friends who are so fed up that they will actively avoid retail establishments that put out tip jars.

Exactly, and I feel like it is deceiving. Because no one knows from place to place, state to state, whether workers are properly compensated. I read that something like 85% of tips aren't related to actual performance at all, and is not because the patron wants to tip. It's because the patron feels obligated to tip. They are worried how not leaving a tip would look to their dates, co-workers, people they know. So, basically people have been shamed and pressured into tipping.

Here is what many people do not understand. The waitstaff is making minimum wage in many places.

Just like I said before, I think it is really deceitful to do this, because common knowledge is that you always tip to make up for the fact that waitstaff is paid below minimum wage. So, if I go up to Washington state, and tip for a meal, only to find out that they are paid $10/hr....to me, I feel duped.

I'm one of those who isn't afraid to leave nothing as a tip.

Yeah, OK, so you chose to be a server at this here restaurant I'm eating at. You chose to be in the hospitality industry, at least for now. And as a representative of that industry, and your employer, and yourself, you should conduct yourself appropriately.

If you are average, and give us the average experience, then you get roughly 16 percent, because I double the tax amount to get the tip amount.

If you're above average, you begin at 20 percent.

If you're below average, I'll tip you the amount we were taxed.

If you just plain suck, I will leave zero dollars and cents, and write an explanation on a napkin or the receipt.

I've met too many people in the industry who think they're entitled to tips because of the profession they chose. And that's just not true. You have to earn them.

With regards to Sonic: Oklahoma is HQ for the company and here the carhops all start at minimum wage. Because of such, I don't tip.

I love this. So many times, I see people say that you should never leave NO tip. You should go to the manager first, and talk to the manager. And, then you should give the waiter or waitress a chance to redeem themselves. I'm sorry, but if I am on my lunch hour, I really don't have the time, nor want to make the effort to go through this whole song and dance. I'd rather just suffer through poor service, wipe my hands clean of it, and move on.

We did the whole self-serve FroYo thing a few weeks ago. I was shocked to see a tip jar. I thought it was incredibly tacky, considering you do all the food-related work. Heck, they never touch your order one time. I know that they do a lot of the behind the scenes stuff and prep and things like that, but that's what they get paid their salaries for. Our order came to just shy of $7.50, and my sister left the 2.50 in the tip jar. $2.50 for ringing up our order! I looked at her like she was high.

Here is one I haven't seen discussed: the ushers at a baseball game. A couple of years ago, my parents were lucky enough to score some really good, really cheap tickets on Stubhub they purchased less than 24 hours before a game, on a whim. Normally you go, find your seat, watch the game. Well, they presented the ticket to the man, to prove they were allowed to be on the lower level, and the man proceeds to show them to their seats. He half-heartedly wipes their seats with a duster. It wasn't like he was scrubbing them down, it was a couple of quick swipes for show. My mom tells my dad to tip the guy, and my dad thinks she's nuts.

He does it anyway, because, well, my mom told him to, and that's how those discussions usually end. But, he was confused and rather annoyed. 1) They didn't ask to be shown their seats. They could have found them just fine on their own. 2) What was the guy doing, really? He walked down a few stairs. He gave their seats the once over with a duster when they probably didn't need it. So, for walking down to the seats unasked, "dusting" for show...the guy gets a fiver? It makes no sense to me (or my dad. Or really my mom, she doesn't know why; she just knows you are supposed to.)

I think people forget that tipping is completely optional. If it were required, there would be managers chasing patrons out the door for not paying. I am only REQUIRED to pay for the price of my meal/service. Nothing more. It's not MY job to provide you a living wage, that's your employer's job.

I only tip if I receive exceptional service. I really don't care what people think of me either and yes, I have worked as a waitress before. I will tip if I bring all my kids with me and they make a mess but I never tip more than 10% unless service is impeccable. Tip percentages going up like cost of living is ridiculous.

The only time I am REQUIRED to tip is when the menu clearly states that gratuity will be added to parties of "x" or more. And then, it's still optional as since its printed on the menu, I have the OPTION to choose another establishment.

You are not entitled to a tip just because you choose to work in the food industry.

For the record, I also won't tip pizza delivery since I'm already being charged a delivery fee and I KNOW they make at least minimum wage. You don't deserve a tip for simply doing what you are paid to do. You have to EARN one.

So bottom line is : I agree that tipping is way out of hand and instead of doing their job to the best of their ability simply because its right, they feel that they deserve more. Tip jars are completely out of line and I ignore them.

What sucks is that a customer that chooses not to tip is seen as a bad patron or poor manners or whatever while the employee expecting a CUSTOMER to pay their wage is seen as normal and in the right. THAT'S ridiculous!!!

I hardly even notice if there is a tip jar sitting out somewhere like a fast food place. And I certainly have never felt pressured to put a tip in the tip jar. I don't get that. I don't think I've ever put a tip in the tip jar. I tip at sit down places of course, but I don't get how people feel "pressured" to put a tip in a tip jar at a froyo place. Are the cashiers pointing to it as they check out out? Are they saying "please leave a tip?" What is this pressure? I do think it's stupid that places like Moe's or a frozen yogurt place have a tip jar, but I just ignore it. It doesn't affect where I eat.

I think people forget that tipping is completely optional. If it were required, there would be managers chasing patrons out the door for not paying. I am only REQUIRED to pay for the price of my meal/service. Nothing more. It's not MY job to provide you a living wage, that's your employer's job.

I only tip if I receive exceptional service. I really don't care what people think of me either and yes, I have worked as a waitress before. I will tip if I bring all my kids with me and they make a mess but I never tip more than 10% unless service is impeccable. Tip percentages going up like cost of living is ridiculous.

The only time I am REQUIRED to tip is when the menu clearly states that gratuity will be added to parties of "x" or more. And then, it's still optional as since its printed on the menu, I have the OPTION to choose another establishment.

You are not entitled to a tip just because you choose to work in the food industry.

For the record, I also won't tip pizza delivery since I'm already being charged a delivery fee and I KNOW they make at least minimum wage. You don't deserve a tip for simply doing what you are paid to do. You have to EARN one.

So bottom line is : I agree that tipping is way out of hand and instead of doing their job to the best of their ability simply because its right, they feel that they deserve more. Tip jars are completely out of line and I ignore them.

What sucks is that a customer that chooses not to tip is seen as a bad patron or poor manners or whatever while the employee expecting a CUSTOMER to pay their wage is seen as normal and in the right. THAT'S ridiculous!!!

I'm really curious where you worked as a waitress. Did you refuse all tips?

You have made an argument for no tipping, do you mention this to the pizza place when you call for your delivery order, and mention it to the waitress when you are seated in a restaurant?

Dani784 said:
You know the delivery fee goes to the shop, right, not the driver? The driver may - or may not - get a dollar of that fee. The dollar covers gas, sometimes insurance on their own vehicle?

You know the delivery fee goes to the shop, right, not the driver? The driver may - or may not - get a dollar of that fee. The dollar covers gas, sometimes insurance on their own vehicle?

Around here, delivery drivers have their gas paid for and they get paid well to compensate for insurance and wear and tear so no, I don't feel tipping them is necessary. They walked to my door and handed me a pizza. Now if the weather was bad I might give them a buck or two but that's it.

Also I worked in a cafeteria where I waited tables and bussed them. I rarely got tipped and I really didn't care. If you have an issue with how little you get paid, take it up with your boss. It's not my job to pay your wage. Tips are rewards for exceptional service. Not a requirement for doing your job. That's what your paycheck is for.

Here is what many people do not understand. The waitstaff is making minimum wage in many places.

Lets say for simple math they wait on 4 tables in 1 hour. Each table is $40 and each person leaves 10%. So that's $4 a table or $16 for all 4.

So $16 in tips and $10 in wages. Really $26 an hour for doing the bare minimum of your job. Most folks tip 15-20%.

Only ten states require servers to be paid the same minimum wage as all other eligible workers.
No state yet has a $10 minimum wage, although at $9.19 Washington is getting there.
Servers are generally required to 'tip out' or share tips with coworkers in non-tipped positions.
Just like any job, any wage+tip earnings are subject to taxes and other payroll deductions.
I figure it's not my concern how much a server gets from other patrons, or makes overall in a shift, week etc.; all that matters is my meal/service.
And any server doing the bare minimum wouldn't be in the field long.

I'm was just repeating what I'm pretty sure the article said, it is possible that I misinterpreted or oversimplified. The part about the $2.13 min wage though I know is correct.

Restaurants are required to withhold/report a certain percentage of each server's sales when doing payroll. I know what it used to be, but it may have changed in the last 15 years - so I'm not going to post the number.

For the record, not all pizza delivery people make minimum wage.

While in high school, my son worked for a non-chain restaurant and made the same amount as the waitstaff. He used his own car and gas. He depended on the tips he received. The delivery fee that the restaurant charged went to the restaurant and not to him.

Thank God some people were generous because they had to make up for the people who found any excuse not to tip.

I find it odd that you claim you worked as a waitress. Usually, a former waiter/waitress knows what it's like to get stiffed by customers and are usually generous when it comes to tipping.

Am I supposed to tip the dog groomer?

We've had a dog for only 10 months, so this is a new thing for me. And we're trying out different groomers, to see who we like the best. Today the woman pointed out to me where to write in a tip on the charge slip I was signing. Honestly, after $40 to groom my dog (which only took an hour, so that's a pretty decent wage!), she wanted MORE money????

I begrudgingly wrote in $5, and crossed her off my list. This woman works out of her home. It's not like she works for a bigger business and they take a cut of her pay.

I'm a teacher, grossly underpaid in a small, rural district. Maybe I should put a tip jar on my desk. :rolleyes1

sandynd said:
It's your opportunity to either monetize your appreciation directly to your servers, or not. Your choice. And if you're that angry about a tip jar, you're probably the type that is generally demanding and hard to deal with, that I need to make it up to them to have to deal with at a generally happy place.
There are ways for customers to show appreciation other than money.

People aren't angry with the proliferation of tip jars in places they never used to be. We're frustrated. If I want to tip at Dunkin Donuts, or the yogurt place, or McDonalds - I know how. I don't need a jar 'urging' me - and I definitely don't need a sign or reminder.

Recognition? I've had four customers this week ask to talk to a supervisor to compliment me (and one to report me) and I transferred all five calls as requested.

So what about those who can't afford to tip. I find it funny that even at a haircut place they expect a tip. And before you say that those who can't afford to tip should not eat out or use those services, remember that if people don't come in then the waitstaff receives less and less hours until finally they are let go due to lack of business.

While in high school, my son worked for a non-chain restaurant and made the same amount as the waitstaff. He used his own car and gas. He depended on the tips he received. The delivery fee that the restaurant charged went to the restaurant and not to him.

Thank God some people were generous because they had to make up for the people who found any excuse not to tip.

I find it odd that you claim you worked as a waitress. Usually, a former waiter/waitress knows what it's like to get stiffed by customers and are usually generous when it comes to tipping.

It seems that the boss was stiffing your son more than non tipping customers.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

No, as a former waitress, I didn't expect my customers (many who were elderly on fixed incomes) to pay my wages. It's not a customer's job to pay wages.

As for your son, I agree that his boss was stiffing him. Around here, if you use your own vehicle for your job, you must be properly compensated for it AND it is tax deductible. And tell me why that delivery charge goes to the restaurant when they do nothing different from when I pick the food up myself? It goes to cover the employer expense of covering the drivers gas.

Again, while tipping may be expected, it is in no way required and if people were more grateful for the tips they do get, perhaps more people would be willing to tip more. This generation of entitled brats is annoying. You don't deserve extra for doing your job.

If you do, then my kids owe me plenty of tips for all the dinners I've served, rooms I've cleaned, laundry I've done, and places I've driven them.
And I don't even get paid a wage at all!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I always thought it was ridiculous that Starbucks had a tip jar, but then my daughter got a job there. She made $2.50 an hour less than minimum wage, and it was expected that the tips would make up the difference. Fortunately enough people tipped to make it worthwhile for her. It wasn't always fair because the tips are pooled among all employees for the week and there were always the few employees that didn't pull their weight. It was her choice to stay though, and she made it work.

As for tipping pizza delivery guys, a couple months ago we ordered a pizza that came to something like $12.50. I gave him $15.00 and told him to keep the change. He got really snotty with me and said "wow, a whole $2.50. Maybe you need this more than I do" and then handed the change to me. I just said "Maybe I do" . I then took the money and closed the door. That really tcked me off. :mad:

Dani784 said:
No, as a former waitress, I didn't expect my customers (many who were elderly on fixed incomes) to pay my wages. It's not a customer's job to pay wages.

As for your son, I agree that his boss was stiffing him. Around here, if you use your own vehicle for your job, you must be properly compensated for it AND it is tax deductible. And tell me why that delivery charge goes to the restaurant when they do nothing different from when I pick the food up myself? It goes to cover the employer expense of covering the drivers gas.

Again, while tipping may be expected, it is in no way required and if people were more grateful for the tips they do get, perhaps more people would be willing to tip more. This generation of entitled brats is annoying. You don't deserve extra for doing your job.

If you do, then my kids owe me plenty of tips for all the dinners I've served, rooms I've cleaned, laundry I've done, and places I've driven them.
And I don't even get paid a wage at all!

Since when does a pizza delivery driver making minimum wage or less itemize his/her taxes to take a deduction on using their own vehicle? They don't.

Since when does a pizza delivery driver making minimum wage or less itemize his/her taxes to take a deduction on using their own vehicle? They don't.

And that's automatically MY fault and I should be required to make up the difference because he's too lazy to do his taxes right? Give me a break.

I always thought it was ridiculous that Starbucks had a tip jar, but then my daughter got a job there. She made $2.50 an hour less than minimum wage, and it was expected that the tips would make up the difference. Fortunately enough people tipped to make it worthwhile for her. It wasn't always fair because the tips are pooled among all employees for the week and there were always the few employees that didn't pull their weight. It was her choice to stay though, and she made it work.

As for tipping pizza delivery guys, a couple months ago we ordered a pizza that came to something like $12.50. I gave him $15.00 and told him to keep the change. He got really snotty with me and said "wow, a whole $2.50. Maybe you need this more than I do" and then handed the change to me. I just said "Maybe I do" . I then took the money and closed the door. That really tcked me off. :mad:

Yes, I have noticed waiters and waitresses getting much more bolder in their rudeness. I left a 15.00 tip on a 100.00 check with mediocre at BEST service. The waitress actually ran to catch up with me in the parking lot to give it back to me. Told me I left my change on the table. :headache: I immediately went back in and reported her to the manager and he fired her on the spot.

Before anyone asks, she was being a jerk. She was just pissed off she didn't get a 20% or better tip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter