• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This storm in the Gulf… now Hurricane Idalia

Yikes. I've read of people accidentally mix up the diesel and DEF nozzles on trucks, I never considered that the filling stations could also mix things up until now. Caveat emptor.
They have traced the error down to one Port of Tampa employee making a mistake. I would not want to be that person! Once the wrong fuel got into the wrong storage tank, it just snowballed from there. It really couldn’t have hit at a worse time, with people getting hurricane fuel . . .

They have traced the error down to one Port of Tampa employee making a mistake. I would not want to be that person! Once the wrong fuel got into the wrong storage tank, it just snowballed from there. It really couldn’t have hit at a worse time, with people getting hurricane fuel . . .
Timing wasn’t good. But we haven’t had any trouble getting gas. I filled up yesterday. Dh filled up today. Only regular was available when he went. The Gas Buddy app is helpful. And Floridians have been assured there are gas reserves for after the hurricane.

We are scheduled to drive down to WDW for the long weekend. I’ve seen lots of people changing plans due to flights but what would we be looking at trying to drive a couple days after impact? I’m worried about traffic going south from people returning home and possibilities of gas scarcity.
I think that is always a problem when it is expected to hit on the East Coast and in S Florida. Those folks all head north, many in to Georgia. But with a Gulf hit I think folks will mostly head inland, South or East coast. I don't think your traffic will be as big an issue. Gas is always precious but you want to fill up in Georgia anyway where prices are much lower than Florida. Then fill up again as soon as you arrive.

Here now and honestly in the parks you would never know anything is happening. Skies have gone from sunny to overcast but that’s the only change. Really feels and looks like it’s going to be north of Orlando.

Thinking though if those who will be affected.
The latest path is in to the Big Bend, and Orlando isn't even in the cone. Likely just tropical storm. Even where we are in N FL (east coast) is not particularly nervous as by then the cone is in S Georgia out of FL. It's a pretty northern path. Only expect heavy rain. I think it would have to literally stop and hard turn to get to Orlando. Hopefully you get rain during the night and ready to go again tomorrow! :earsgirl:

While Big Bend is not densely populated and less will be impacted there are some special spots. I feel so bad for Cedar Key, such a quaint (secret) town. They are 3 miles offshore on these islands and looking at 11-15 foot surge. Unfortunately full moon and King tide is going to impact many right on the water. We have a family member in Tampa right on a canal off the bay. Right now they are talking 7 feet which could mean inside their home. 🤞

I love Cedar Key :(.

It is one of my favorite places to go on the west coast. We once kayaked to a very small island (Atsena Otie Key) which was part of the original Cedar Key. It got formed as an island after a major hurricane separated it from, what is now, the mainland (or another island) back in 1896.

We ended up taking a small cooler with sandwiches and found this bench in the middle of the woods. We thought that was strange and then looked around and saw several dozen decrepit tombstones (dating to the 1800's). Talk about eerie.

The island also once produced wood for pencils in the later 1800's.

I fear this storm is going to wreak havoc to this historic island which also was part of the civil war.

Last edited:
We made it to Disney springs for a few days, we had great weather till we got near the Disney springs exit then a shower. We’re going to end up having to venture out in the afternoon if weather isn’t bad to get our windshield replaced tho. Ugh

We are here now (did universal today) and trying to figure out what to do tomorrow. We are schedule for HS-wondering if we should try and see if we should move it to Saturday? Or so we just stick it out.

Hoping for the best. I tracked my plane for the 48 hours prior to my flight and it shouldn't be affected by weather at all. Fingers crossed and starting to pack!
This is no guarantee either. I learned that the hard way during the SW Christmas meltdown. The plane is only half of the equation, there also has to be a crew with enough flight time left that day to work the flight. Crew shifts often start and end outside a base city, so you never know about crew positioning until the last minute sometimes. I hope you have good luck with your flight! We are scheduled to fly on Th evening through ATL, so I'm hoping for the best.

This is no guarantee either. I learned that the hard way during the SW Christmas meltdown. The plane is only half of the equation, there also has to be a crew with enough flight time left that day to work the flight. Crew shifts often start and end outside a base city, so you never know about crew positioning until the last minute sometimes. I hope you have good luck with your flight! We are scheduled to fly on Th evening through ATL, so I'm hoping for the best.
Yep. That’s why I like the early morning flights - usually the plane and crew are here. I will be getting up at 4 AM to see if I am cancelled or delayed tomorrow.

Sitting at my gate at DCA. SW says we are on time. Have to remember to cancel my backup flight for tomorrow once we actually land at MCO

Last edited:
We are here now (did universal today) and trying to figure out what to do tomorrow. We are schedule for HS-wondering if we should try and see if we should move it to Saturday? Or so we just stick it out.
I’d go today rather than Saturday. I’d imagine Saturday will be much more crowded.

Here’s how dead it is today at WDW. I rolled my carcass out of bed at 8. As an afterthought, I was checking line times for Epcot at 8:30. GUARDIANS V QUEUE WAS STILL OPEN. I’m in BG109.

Do not want to make light of this storm. My prayers are with any and all affected.

HS is the best park in the rain. If you’re okay with missing Slinky, I’d do it today. Crowds could be very low.
Tornado watches in the area until 3P for WDW - so be weather aware - certainly our thoughts are with others in Florida upstream as this is a tremendous storm making landfall.

Here’s how dead it is today at WDW. I rolled my carcass out of bed at 8. As an afterthought, I was checking line times for Epcot at 8:30. GUARDIANS V QUEUE WAS STILL OPEN. I’m in BG109.

Do not want to make light of this storm. My prayers are with any and all affected.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but hasn’t it been common for BGs to still be open for guardians until like 10 or 11?

I have never seen MCO this empty. Decided to try Mears this time to my resort, hope I don’t have to wait forever. Will be heading to MK eventually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter