• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This storm in the Gulf… now Hurricane Idalia

I'm just curious what problems you had with Pop. We were there during hurricane Irma and it was actually a wonderful experience. A little scary at first but we felt really safe as it was happening. The buildings at Pop are built like tanks. After the fact, we saw other resorts with more damage from rain and wind, like the Contemporary.
We have stayed at Pop probably 6 times before and loved it. I didn’t love the remodel at all, but we were staying there on a sweepstakes trip with my DD and her DH, had 2 rooms thankfully.
Two days mostly stuck in the room was beyond dreadful and getting food at the food court with massive crowds was not fun.
In 2005 Wilma hit and we were at the poly, it was a totally different experience.

I hate to mention this, but has anyone been looking at the spaghetti models? A few of them are starting to show the storm going out into the Atlantic and then turning back and going over Florida a second time. Gosh, I hope they are wrong!
Although this might turn out to be true, it is not the most likely scenario right now. The GFS and the Canadian models are producing these possible tracks. Even with these tracks, the storm appears to be far less powerful if it does make an east coast landfall in Florida. Possibly not even a depression at that point. It is better to look at the Euro model which uses the acronym "ECMWF." It's slightly more reliable according to most meteorologists. The Euro model takes the storm on the same track basically, but it doesn't make the turn back towards Florida. It sits out in the Atlantic all week and then eventually turns back towards N/S Carolina. Keep in mind that this is a long range forecast and I would not bet the farm on anything past 3-4 days with either model. The GFS and ECMWF have widely different tracks after it gets out into the Atlantic which is concerning.

Update: The latest Canadian model now has the storm turning into the Atlantic eventually. The GFS is now the sole model out of 6 that has it turning back west towards south Florida on Monday/Tuesday.

Last edited:

Not me! I still have my 6 AM flight tomorrow. Chances are looking better I may get there sometime tomorrow. All checked in, got boarding group A 25, decided to go carryon only in case I need to pivot.
Good luck! I am thinking tomorrow will see delays based on weather but if the airport doesn't close, at least there is hope!

All jokes aside, hope you and your family stay safe!
Thanks. We are prepared but not too worried.
No chance of storm surge where we are.

My biggest concern is our 8 month old puppy. This is her first hurricane and not sure how we are going to get her to go potty.
I bought a kiddie pool and some fake grass to put in the garage, I tried practicing with her the last couple of days and she just looks at me like I’m crazy😂

Last edited:
Oh, don’t get me wrong. My preference is sneakers (no socks), except when it’s raining a lot! Then I go for non-slippy flip flops (Teva Voyas are my current jam). Last year around this time I tried to do sneakers - rotated two pairs, but they never really got dry. No blisters, but it was annoying. (Complete tangent.)
I only wear socks with my Doc Marten boots, otherwise its Toms, Adidas sneakers or chucks (also no socks, can't stand them).

We are scheduled to drive down to WDW for the long weekend. I’ve seen lots of people changing plans due to flights but what would we be looking at trying to drive a couple days after impact? I’m worried about traffic going south from people returning home and possibilities of gas scarcity.

We are scheduled to drive down to WDW for the long weekend. I’ve seen lots of people changing plans due to flights but what would we be looking at trying to drive a couple days after impact? I’m worried about traffic going south from people returning home and possibilities of gas scarcity.
Gov. DeSantis has already said they have fuel supplies on standby and the gas stations along the main evacuation routes will get priority for fuel deliveries. To be safe, I would refuel before reaching the areas most affected by the storm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter