This seemed like a good idea at the time..A Princess Half Marathon-The Aftermath 4/11

really enjoyed your trip report so far; I'd love to do this race or the WDW half but don't know if I'll be able to, so I love to read about them!

I'll be lurking! :goodvibes

If you can, do it! A runDisney race is so much fun! And it sounds like the WDW marathon is making actual changes to better the race!

Your report is not only informative to someone who has never run a race at Disney but very motivational. I too have never been a runner and honestly no one thinks I can do it but I am determined to run this race! I am working through the Couch to 5K program as a start. Very slow going. But your report gives me hope that I can do it! It was just a relief to know that people do walk, a lot, and that everyone is not a big time, serious race type runner! I have been worried about that. So thank you:)
Can't wait to hear about the aftermath now. I hope your knee was well enough for you to enjoy yourself!

Seriously, if I can do it, anyone can! I am not a runner, not at all. But I was determined to do it and I did! The C25K program is a great start. It really taught me how to figure out my intervals and how to train properly.

You can do it!!:cool1:

Where I last left off, we had just hobbled back to out families and our rooms.

Our plan had been to get cleaned up, sleep for about an hour and then head MK for the rest of the afternoon. I showered, got dressed and then I literally collapsed on the bed and I think I was out before my head even hit the pillow. DH and the kids came in about 30 minutes later and woke me up. So much for an hour long nap. :( Oh well. I was up so we decided to head out. It was a little past 12:00. I called my parents and let them know we were heading out and they said they'd meet us in LoF. I also called my sister and her hubby said they would be right there. 20 minutes later I called again to find that my sister was just getting in the shower. :rolleyes2
This was a common theme throughout the whole trip - waiting on my sister. But, having learned from our last trip, I told them that we were heading the MK and they could just meet there when they were ready. I think this tactic annoyed them, but it made my family happy. We are commando-style Disney travelers, my sister's family is not. So we found that if we went our way and they just met up with us when they could, it made everyone so much happier.

I have one little side story that I forgot to mention. Remember when I mentioned the irate lady at the check-in desk that was really mad that she wasn't by her family? Well, it turns out that the only room next to the rest of her family was next to my parents that was slated for my sister's family. So, when my sister got in late Saturday night, they found that they were upgraded into a Lion King Suite!! Quite the upgrade!! So, we got to see the inside of a suite which was really neat!

The shower stall:

The couch - I loved this! So much detail!

So anyway, we headed out to the bus stop to find that it had started raining. There was a small line for the bus, but just as we walked up a bus for the MK pulled up. Awesome! We got on and in no time we were at the park. First thing was first, I wanted a PP pic with just my family. It had stopped raining by then, so we got a nice picture with the clouds starting to disperse. When I finally get around to getting all my pp off the cd, I'll post them.

This is a pretty good shot of the crowds:

Second thing on our list was to head to Be Our Guest. We really wanted to check this place out, but it wasn't work out for dinner so I was really hoping for lunch. I knew the wait was insane, but we thought it would be worth it. However, just as we walked up, they closed the queue. :worried: Bummer!!! It was a little bit after 1 by this time and I figured that with the restaurant closing at 2 and a 45 minute wait, they were closing to avoid having to be open later than 2.

Feeling sad and dejected, we turned around and headed back out of Fantasyland. We were hungry, I was tired and limping with a very sore knee and all we wanted to do was eat. So, we stopped at the first place we came across - Pinocchio's Village Haus. This was a first for us, but the menu looked good and the line wasn't long. DH headed to order the food and I found us a table. We found the perfect table overlooking It's A Small World. :cool1: It was really pretty neat.

By this time I was so hungry I thought I might pass out, so the food couldn't come fast enough. Finally DH delivered, and even though I was starving I did manage to get a picture.

It was so good. I had the Barbeque Chicken Flatbread, DH had the Pepperoni Flatbread and both the kids split Cheese Flatbread, grapes and a yogurt and chocolate cake for desert. I have never been a huge fan of Disney pizza, so I wasn't expecting much. But this was really tasty! The it had great flavor and the bread was perfect - not too dry, but not dripping in oil. Unfortunately though, I think that I ate too quickly, or my stomach just wasn't ready for that much food yet. About 1/2 way through my meal my stomach started to feel queasy. I was disappointed because it was really good, but I didn't want to ruin the rest of my day so I just called quits and threw the rest away. I was disappointed that we didn't get to try BOG, but I was happy with PInocchio's, so it worked out.

After lunch, we decided to hear to IASW since we had just spent our lunch overlooking it. As we were standing in line waiting, I looked over to my right to see a friend from my hometown! How funny that out of all the places to be in Disney, I run into a friend and her daughter on It's A Small World. It really s a small world!

Anyway, after getting the song stuck in our heads, we headed over to Mickey's Philharmagic - one of my all time favorites! I was so excited for everyone to see this.
In the middle of the show, I received a text from my sister. They were just pulling up to the park! I am so glad that we left before them - I would have been steaming mad had we waited for them!
Philharmagic was a big hit - they all really liked it. By the time we got out of there, the rest of my family showed up. We decided to head over to Pirates of the Caribbean. This was my BILs first trip to Disney and since they were a day late, this was now his first ride. I am happy to say that he loved it. Of course, he was too cool to really admit that he loved it, but he did. ;)

After that we decided that it was time to meet some animals. So, Jungle Cruise was up next. We had a really good tour guide, he was funny and played the part really well. I wasn't in a great spot for good pictures, so I didn't get many. Something I found interesting about this ride was how much it scared my DD. She was really worried about the snake and the hippos, and the crocs really scared her. I spent most of the ride reassuring her that the snakes don't bite!

After the cruise, we had stop and remind the kids of what happens when they misbehave in Disney:

Then it was time for a Disney classic: The Tiki Room. I always think of this attraction as boring and old, but it's also classic Walt Disney and a must-do for us. Plus, it gets us off our feet and out of the heat. And my DD loved it and still talks about it.

After that we were all pretty much done. I was tired and my knee was about twice it's normal size by this point and my poor sister had now been awake for almost 36 hours straight, not to mention running 13 miles in the middle. I was getting concerned about my ability to make it through the rest of the week with my knee bothering me this much and I just really wanted to get back to our room and into bed. So we all headed to the bus. But, not before getting a Castle picture!

With a little pixie dust, the bus pulled up just as we did and we were even able to sit down!

When we got back to AoA, we headed to Landscapes of Flavors for some quick dinner. I still wasn't that hungry, my stomach was still a little on the edge. I just grabbed some fruit and hobbled my way back to the room. DH had the Mongolian grill which he said was really good and I believe the kids split some sort of pasta. Sorry, no pictures since I left before they got their food. I was in bed asleep before they even got back to the room. When they came in, I had DH get some ice and I spent about 30 minutes icing my knee and I wrote in my trip journal. It did seem to help and I quickly fell back asleep.

I read your tr last Friday morning(4/12) and I want to tell you that you inspired me to start running again after almost 14 years!! In fact I started that very morning. I have been doing the couch to 5k and I have felt so good about myself this past week, I am hoping that I can keep up with it. One day I want to do a race at Disney. I have started a journal over on the wish boards, to hopefully keep me motivated. Thanks for sharing your story!!!

I read your tr last Friday morning(4/12) and I want to tell you that you inspired me to start running again after almost 14 years!! In fact I started that very morning. I have been doing the couch to 5k and I have felt so good about myself this past week, I am hoping that I can keep up with it. One day I want to do a race at Disney. I have started a journal over on the wish boards, to hopefully keep me motivated. Thanks for sharing your story!!!

That is so great!! Congratulations on your first steps!! It's hard to start, but it's so rewarding! I highly recommend a Disney race, they are so great and well done.
Thank you for reading my story!

That is so great!! Congratulations on your first steps!! It's hard to start, but it's so rewarding! I highly recommend a Disney race, they are so great and well done.
Thank you for reading my story!

Thanks!! It was my pleasure to read it!! I love when I am reading something and feel as though I am right there!!

It may be a while before I get to do a Disney race. I looked at the rundisney website, those races are kind of out of my budget at this time. I will just have to save up for a while!! :)

I had planned our Hollywood Studio day for today, it had the best crowd levels for the day.
I had great plans to try to make it RD because we really wanted to sign DS up for the Jedi Training Academy and of course do the TSM FP run. So, I told everyone to meet us at 8:15 at the bus stop. I got the kids up, bathed and ready to go and we all ate cereal in the room. My knee was still pretty swollen and sore, and I couldn't bend it and put weight on it at the same time. This was going to be an a long day, but I was determined to make it through.

We headed down to LoF to meet up with everyone. My parents were already there waiting, and of course my sister's family was nowhere to be found. :sad2: So, we waited. I debated just leaving without them, but we kind of needed them to execute the plan of attack to get FP and signed up. On the other hand the longer we waited, the less chance we were going to make it all work anyway. So, as I was stewing over my decision, they showed up. It was 8:30, but we still had a chance. I gathered them all up and herded them towards the bus stop. There was a line, but I knew we would be able to get on it. Within a couple of minutes a bus pulled up and we all piled on. A very nice man gave up his seats for my sister and I. I don't think that his son was thrilled, but we were. He said that anyone that can run 13.1 miles deserves a seat on a bus! My sister and I wore our medals, our tech shirts or our "I Did It" shirts the whole week so we got a lot of congrats! That was pretty fun to experience. Plus, I wanted everyone to know why was hobbling around!

We pulled up at DHS just as they were letting people in. We missed the show, but at least we weren't completely behind the ball. So we divided forces, DH headed to the Jedi line, my dad took all of our tickets to get FP's for TSM and the rest of headed for Star Tours.

My mom sat with the two that aren't of height - my DD and my niece. It took us a while to get everyone situated. You see, my niece is very attached to my sister. Probably because in 6 months, my sister has never been away from her, literally. The PHM was the first time ever that my sister wasn't with her. This did cause some issues on our trip because it was almost impossible to leave her with anyone else, so my sister missed out on some rides. But, I just figure that it's her choice to do that, so she gets to deal with it. Not that I have any problems with it, my sister is a stay at home mom so she has the ability to do it. However, what did bother me was that she spent a lot of time making us all feel guilty about the fact that she was missing out on a lot of things. But, I did my best to just ignore it.

So, kids situated, we head for the queue. It was right then that DH showed up looking defeated. Apparently, they had already filled up almost every time slot for the morning and were now well into the afternoon. The only slots left were a couple for 12:40, which was right at our lunch time reservation. The next slots were getting into late afternoon which weren't going to work for us either. I think that DH was more disappointed than DS. DS just said "That's okay dad, we can do it the next time we come". I love this kid! :)

So, we all jumped in line and walked right up to our Star Speeder.

The cast members were training a new member, so we got to listen to them explain the boarding process. I just love how they never break character! Anyway, we got in our seats and prepared for launch. We rode this twice the last time we were in Disney and low and behold, we got the same ride as our last ride. I thought that was kind of a bummer - over 50 different scenes and we get the same one twice! But, we did get a nice surprise because little did we know that rebel spy was in our group! There was DS on the screen! When we got off the ride, grandpa had returned with the FP's for TSM - return time of 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm. It's crazy how fast those go! There was still no line on Star Tours, so we decided to go again! While we were on the ride, grandpa discovered the face painting booth and had them do DD face.

When DS saw that, he decided that he needed to do it too. And then of course my niece saw them and she had to do it as well. So, we sent grandma and grandpa on Star Tours, and my Sis and BIL went with them while we stayed behind with all of the kids.

After the Star Tours marathon ride, we looked at the times guide and realized that Indiana Jones was about 20 minutes from start. We headed that direction and stopped for a frozen lemonade on the way. We shared a couple between all of us, and it really hit the spot. Then we parked our strollers and head for Indiana Jones. This is one of my most vivid memories from "MGM Studios" when I was a kid. I loved the Indiana Jones movies and loved this show. We never made it on our last trip so I was so excited to get to see it this time around. It was just as good as I remember, and the best part is that DS loved it too. He loved the stunts and of course all of the explosions. We had some really good seats that helped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter