This reminded me of WHY I'm a Community Leader...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaSpray

Disney World fan since 1976
While waiting for dinner to cook this evening, I signed onto VMK and played a few games of Pirates with various people. Then I got tired of playing, so I looked in the "Popular Rooms" list to see if any staff games were open. There weren't. So I scrolled through the list and at the very bottom was a room title that caught my eye; "Disney Cruise Line". I clicked on it and decided to join the room.

I got there and saw a few people in the room. The room was very sparsely furnished, but the owner did her best with the few furnishings she had. There was a boy behind a water machine and some crates, dressed as Goofy. He was apparently the cruise CM working the snack bar. :teeth: Then there was a girl dressed in all red with a red Minnie Mouse shirt, she was playing the part of, of course, Minnie Mouse. :teeth: The owner was dressed in a pink princess gown; she was Cinderella. And I had arrived just in time to see Cinderella sing "When you Wish Upon a Star". Goofy and Minnie Mouse took their roles very seriously! They asked everyone to please be quiet while Cinderella sang her song. I turned and faced the stage (this room was a River boat room). Cinderella did a wonderful job singing her song, then unfortunately she left in a flash due to being disconnected.

While we waited for her to return, Goofy and Minnie Mouse again welcomed me to the Disney Cruise Line. They were very polite and friendly, and again, it was obvious how seriously they took their roles!

I chatted with them for a little while and they seemed almost honored that I, a community leader, had chosen to stop into their room. In fact, at one point, another kid came into the room and made a negative comment about it. While I was typing out "Please be nice, these people are doing very well with their cruise line room here", the person playing Goofy said "This is a good room! See? Even a community leader is in here!" That's when it hit me. There really are some people, kids or however old these were, that do respect and look up to those of us who are community leaders on vmk. I decided to hit "accept" to the friend requests that Goofy, Minnie Mouse, and Cinderella had sent. This was a nice group of kids who didn't beg me for anything, or ask me for anything. They were thrilled just to have a community leader in their room!

Before I had to sign off for dinner, I invited Cinderella, Goofy, and Minnie Mouse over to see my Cruise Ship guest room. I had been talking with them about it and one of them had sent me a message, asking to see it. When they got to my room, they were shocked and amazed to see the pirate cannon room. They had never seen that room before. They asked how I got it, and they were surprised and impressed with the things in the room. Again, they NEVER asked for anything, asked to trade, etc. They rode the river that runs through my cruise cabin room, and came back and rode it again. lol

Anyway, it was such an unexpectedly pleasant time on VMK this evening; to find a group of kids doing their best with what they had, and using their imaginations to create things in a room. Oh and another thing; I guess it's naive of me, and many others, to assume that all kids on VMK who don't have much, are simply too lazy to play the games. Some of these kids asked me when I'd be on again. I told them I'd be on later tonight. Some of them told me they are only allowed on their computers once a week, or only for an hour a day.

I'll tell you, this little encounter of mine tonight with these kids really opened up my eyes, made me remember why I applied to be a community leader in the first place, and made me glad to be a community leader. You can bet that I'll be stopping in on my new friends again :grouphug:

What a nice story. :goodvibes Thanks for reminding us that we should not let a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch. There are some terrific people out there. :thumbsup2

Aww... those kids are cute:)

I had some moments that make reminded myself why i was a community leader.

Very nice story! :thumbsup2

I think there are a lot of kids playing VMK within restricted times. One of my VMK friends can only play on weekends. She was thrilled with her gifted bat magic pin.

qruthie (the 'q' is silent)

Thank you for taking the time to share this wonderful time you had on VMK. And the importance we as adults have in helping the kids. Even some kids that seem annoying to most of us may be so desparate to have a friend or because of special needs are not very good at social boundaries. because of this they are picked on in real life. So in VMK they have a chance to belong. That is why I have a few on my list that I know take a little more work but that is ok. This game was meant for them and if we can share more care we make this a much better place for. I am glad the cl in front of your name brought happiness and a sense of pride in these kids. Keep up the good work.

Thanks again for sharing. :)

Thank you so much for sharing that story!

If you would like to share their names I would love to stop by and see their room if I ever am on at the same time as they are.

pixiedust:

Awww, I love that story. It really goes to show you that there will always be some kind of role model. That's why you CL's must play up to your part and be mature. :)

Wow great story, you should nominate them for a best guest room.

:wizard: Wishes to all of them.

I would love to visit their rooms as well. Please let us know when they are on.

That is so wonderful to read! It's always nice to encounter genuine, nice players in the game like that.

I'm especially glad that there are nice, sincere people like you as community leaders. Keep up the good work!

Great story! I often do the same. It's amazing the number of players who think CL's are staff. And yes, there are quite a few players who are polite and sweet. They usually end up on my friend's list as well. :) After all, this is a Disney game. ;)

Thanks much for sharing that story!

And, if you see them on when I'm on, send me a PM -- it's been a long time since I got to go on a cruise ;)

That is great sea. I uh mean CL Sea, lol. There are still some good people out there after all. :cool1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter