• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

This OCD planner is looking forward to a WDW vacation with few ADR's!

Belle5

DIS Veteran
We've taken many, many trips to the World. It seems like for the past 15 years, at least, I have a minimum of one table service booked per day of our vacation. There just aren't too many places that we "must" dine. Last trip, December 2014, we hit many of the big ones:Cali Grill, Citricos, Narcoosee's, AP, BOG, Wishes Dessert Party, etc. Now we are visiting in May of 2016. I think we just need a break from feeling as if we need to be at a certain place at a certain time. Also, we are experienced enough to know that we like to eat a lot more during the colder months than the warmer ones! Last time we visited in May (2013) we wanted salad, fruit and cold beverages. No one was very hungry in the heat! This trip, I have only BOG booked and will try for an ADR if Tiffin's becomes available. We are thinking our meals will be spontaneous and we will not be targeting prime destinations. I'm thinking Kona, the Wave and Grand Floridian Cafe at odd times of day. We might try for Yachtsman a day or two out. If there is no availability...oh, well! It's the only signature dining we haven't experienced, I believe. I am visualizing a lot of cold drinks, snacks and QS meals with tons of pool time. I guess I'm just ready for a different kind of Disney vacation. Have any of you OCD meal planners ever let go like this? Did you enjoy not being locked into a reservation each day?

As a fellow OCD planner, I can't even imagine doing what you will be doing. But I'm sure you'll enjoy your vacation just as much since you have a great attitude about it.

For us, it's not just the OCD part, it's also the fact that dining is a major part of our vacation. I will admit that a lot of restaurants have gone down in quality (and increase in price :sad2:), but there are still some restaurants that my family enjoys and it's important for us to be able to dine there. Some are very popular so ADRs are still required. I just can't imagine going without it. Since we started going to WDW frequently (which is when we became DVC members), we have been increasing the number of ADRs. 14 yrs ago, we would be fine with just a table service for dinners and occasional lunches/breakfasts. Now, we have 2 ADRs per day (usually early lunch and later dinner). Other than an occasional snack, we don't eat at QS places. But we're not big eaters. Although we've never been able to share entrees (since we don't seem to like the same things), we've learned to choose items that works for us.

ADRs are an integral part of our vacation so I don't see that stopping for us. In some cases like Skipper Canteen where they are currently taking only same day ADRs, there's a good chance we may skip it (which is a bit disappointing since the menu looks good for my family) because I do have 2 ADRs for that day. Perhaps we can try for a snack there (I really want to try the Shu Mai :-)). But I wouldn't cancel an ADR in hopes of getting in.

I think people should do what's best for them. It sounds like you're looking forward to having less ADRs and that's great! I wish you a great trip.

As a fellow OCD planner, I can't even imagine doing what you will be doing. But I'm sure you'll enjoy your vacation just as much since you have a great attitude about it.

For us, it's not just the OCD part, it's also the fact that dining is a major part of our vacation. I will admit that a lot of restaurants have gone down in quality (and increase in price :sad2:), but there are still some restaurants that my family enjoys and it's important for us to be able to dine there. Some are very popular so ADRs are still required. I just can't imagine going without it. Since we started going to WDW frequently (which is when we became DVC members), we have been increasing the number of ADRs. 14 yrs ago, we would be fine with just a table service for dinners and occasional lunches/breakfasts. Now, we have 2 ADRs per day (usually early lunch and later dinner). Other than an occasional snack, we don't eat at QS places. But we're not big eaters. Although we've never been able to share entrees (since we don't seem to like the same things), we've learned to choose items that works for us.

ADRs are an integral part of our vacation so I don't see that stopping for us. In some cases like Skipper Canteen where they are currently taking only same day ADRs, there's a good chance we may skip it (which is a bit disappointing since the menu looks good for my family) because I do have 2 ADRs for that day. Perhaps we can try for a snack there (I really want to try the Shu Mai :-)). But I wouldn't cancel an ADR in hopes of getting in.

I think people should do what's best for them. It sounds like you're looking forward to having less ADRs and that's great! I wish you a great trip.

It's funny...I look at the computer several times a day thinking that I just HAVE to make some ADRs. But, so far I have resisted. For once, the idea of no commitments sounds better than any meal!

I am such a planner! I love all the little details and dreaming of how our vacation is going to be. With more than a few trips under my belt, I am much more willing to go with the flow than ever before. Last week, we went without any ADRs at all, which is unheard of for me. We had lots of flexibility since it was an adults-only trip and was no big deal if we walked up and were turned away (which weren't weren't since we were able to eat in the bars and lounges of restaurants instead of requiring a table.) We tried places that we had never considered and now have some new favorites.

It's funny, because even if you do let go, you still plan a lot. Last time I didn't make many ADR (CRT and Cape May I think were the only 2 we did), thinking we will just take it easy and eat wherever we are. Yet I was constantly looking at menus and debating where to "spontaneously" go. Couple good ones were Captain's Grill and Morimoto (lunch was easy to walk into and the lunch special is a good amount of food for not terribly expensive).

I agree half the fun is the planning! But at the same time when you go enough you can be spontaneous and it is fun. Before my kid and when I was still married we did a whole day in Epcot on NYE where all we did was get into the park, ride spaceship earth, sit in sunshine seasons and play cards with friends, eventually had lunch there and probably rode the land, walk around a bit and maybe did other future world stuff that is easy to get on with no wait even when PACKED, have a nice dinner at le cellier, made friends with our waiter who told us to come back for dessert after the fireworks... parked like 2 hours in advance before the fireworks for a great spot, then went back and had dessert and shared a bottle of sparkling ice wine. It was a GREAT trip overall and we had APs and were going so much at that point that we could afford to take a relaxing day like that. It was PACKED but we didn't fight the crowds on anything and the highlight was definitely dinner and the fireworks. Adult only less frenzied trips are awesome.

Now I travel with my kid and we talk EVERY night about what our plans are... 10 months out, lol. it's awesome though. he is a little planner too. he is asking me what fast passes we will have but i'm not there yet! but I have my ADR list ready to go now I think, lol.

It's funny, because even if you do let go, you still plan a lot. Last time I didn't make many ADR (CRT and Cape May I think were the only 2 we did), thinking we will just take it easy and eat wherever we are. Yet I was constantly looking at menus and debating where to "spontaneously" go. Couple good ones were Captain's Grill and Morimoto (lunch was easy to walk into and the lunch special is a good amount of food for not terribly expensive).

I agree. If I did ever think of vacationing without ADRs, I would spend the whole vacation worried about not getting into the restaurant we want to dine in. It would not be relaxing for me and I would definitely not be looking forward to it.

I want to relax DURING my vacation so I do a lot of pre-planning. I have friends who hates planning anything and they are perfectly fine dining anywhere and that's where the issue lies for us...we wouldn't be.

The only spontaneous part of any of our vacation is where we want to go:

Me: Where do you think would be a good place to vacation next year?
My husband: How about Europe?
My children: yeah!

Okay, then I spend a year researching, dissecting, planning, booking, and paying for our vacation.

As an aside, we went on a cruise and land vacation with family recently and they said to me that it was so great how the timing of everything worked out. They were surprised how little time was wasted and how much was done. Now...I know it may seem like it has nothing to do with the OP's question, but with planning and reserving each dinner, we had more time to do other things.

It's funny...I look at the computer several times a day thinking that I just HAVE to make some ADRs. But, so far I have resisted. For once, the idea of no commitments sounds better than any meal!

Good for you!

I will admit, recently, I haven't overplanned our activities (as long as it's not a new place), but I can't seem to do that for dining.

I think anyone who is reading this board enjoys their food. And going to disney on vacation, dining is a highlight... so yes, not being able to get into what we want to would put a crimp in our vacation. But if you've been on a few trips and dined to the max, no obligations is a nice change of pace.

We've done it both ways. Planned our dining up the wazoo - figuring out months in advance where we were eating for every meal and having all our ADRs made at 180 days. OR, completely winging it - being happy to just eat CS, or whatever ADR we could snag on the day. Usually, now, we are somewhere in the middle. We've eaten at almost every restaurant at least once. And there really aren't that many that scream "you'll regret it if you don't come back!" So I'll make a couple of ADRs for any new Restaurant that has opened, or for an old favorite, and then wing it the rest of the time. Disney Dining just isn't that much of a draw for us anymore. If the food quality was better, maybe it would be. But we know that if we want a fine dining experience, we need to plan a different vacation.

As long as you don't have a lot of places that you really want to et at, I like that you can pull out your phone and check for same day availability and just pick from whatever is there. Different strokes.

We've done it both ways. Planned our dining up the wazoo - figuring out months in advance where we were eating for every meal and having all our ADRs made at 180 days. OR, completely winging it - being happy to just eat CS, or whatever ADR we could snag on the day. Usually, now, we are somewhere in the middle. We've eaten at almost every restaurant at least once. And there really aren't that many that scream "you'll regret it if you don't come back!" So I'll make a couple of ADRs for any new Restaurant that has opened, or for an old favorite, and then wing it the rest of the time. Disney Dining just isn't that much of a draw for us anymore. If the food quality was better, maybe it would be. But we know that if we want a fine dining experience, we need to plan a different vacation.

As long as you don't have a lot of places that you really want to et at, I like that you can pull out your phone and check for same day availability and just pick from whatever is there. Different strokes.

minnie mum...I think we are at the same place as you, in this regard! I definitely want ADRs for any new places. We have been to BOG three times and the family still wants to go back. We like the overall experience with theming, etc... I am "done" with trying to figure out what I want to eat and at which hour and minute months in advance. There is just no need when we have dined most places multiple times!

My H wants to be a little more spontaneous this time. He told me to make dinner reservations, but that's it. He hates having to be somewhere all the time and just wants to wander. Since we're going at a slower time, we may be just fine. I'm hoping he's right and I won't miss out on certain breakfasts and lunches. We are also going without a dining plan this time, my idea. I'm excited to try new places at the Swolphin and DS.

My H wants to be a little more spontaneous this time. He told me to make dinner reservations, but that's it. He hates having to be somewhere all the time and just wants to wander. Since we're going at a slower time, we may be just fine. I'm hoping he's right and I won't miss out on certain breakfasts and lunches. We are also going without a dining plan this time, my idea. I'm excited to try new places at the Swolphin and DS.

LBlovesMEWDW,
When you said that your husband just "wants to wander"...you described what we're looking for!! I think we are tired of being "on a mission" while on vacation and since we've done just about everything available at WDW, for the most part, probably multiple times...we are looking forward to meandering, wandering, exploring the small details, relaxing and just stumbling upon some restaurants that we haven't been to in 25 years so they might just feel a bit "new" to us!

Good for you, OP!! I am still a planner, but not to the extent I was at first. Some of our favorite memories are those that just sorta happened! Like ambling over to the store in Frontierland, and finding a couple of rocking chairs free, facing the parade route! We had the kids sit in them, and I went looking for some turkey legs - this was miraculously about 20 minutes before the night-time parade! Yeah, people crept up a little and stood in front of us, but we just enjoyed sitting there, eating our turkey legs and taking it all in! No way you can "plan" that!

I am just starting to plan out our January trip, and although I will always plan which park(s) we do which days, I have decided that all four of us will pick one special restaurant each (can be either QS or TS), and all other meals will be QS. Yes, it has something to do with the always increasing prices, but the freedom to not have the ADRs (and constantly tell people, no, don't eat a Mickey bar now, we are going to our ADR in an hour!!!) is wonderful.

Hang tough, OP! You can do this!!

Good for you, OP!! I am still a planner, but not to the extent I was at first. Some of our favorite memories are those that just sorta happened! Like ambling over to the store in Frontierland, and finding a couple of rocking chairs free, facing the parade route! We had the kids sit in them, and I went looking for some turkey legs - this was miraculously about 20 minutes before the night-time parade! Yeah, people crept up a little and stood in front of us, but we just enjoyed sitting there, eating our turkey legs and taking it all in! No way you can "plan" that!

I am just starting to plan out our January trip, and although I will always plan which park(s) we do which days, I have decided that all four of us will pick one special restaurant each (can be either QS or TS), and all other meals will be QS. Yes, it has something to do with the always increasing prices, but the freedom to not have the ADRs (and constantly tell people, no, don't eat a Mickey bar now, we are going to our ADR in an hour!!!) is wonderful.

Hang tough, OP! You can do this!!

Thanks, Harambe! I know EXACTLY what you mean! I feel that one aspect of the Disney dining experience that has been sadly lacking in our family is the "snack"! I am always warning everyone, "Don't eat anything as we have a meal in 2 hours and if you snack it will ruin your meal!" So, this trip I want waffle sandwiches from Sleepy Hollow, etc.! All those forbidden snacks from the past are going to seem like a new restaurant to us!

We just did this in December! It has been ages since we didn't go in with our meals planned. It was awesome! I had the candlelight package, dinner at the plaza (hadn't been in years due to bad value on dining plan), and a BOG lunch. I loved the flexibility of the days with no plan, but also found it a little stressful to worry about where I was eating dinner!! It ended up working out well for us the whole trip.

I can definitely see where you are coming from. I will admit, I am a crazy Disney planner. It's just over the top! We're spending 4 days in the parks in April/May and the only ADR I have booked is a Crystal Palace pre-park opening breakfast.

It's slightly terrifying and awesome that we'll be able to eat when we want and not be tied down to a reservation. I think what worries me the most is that when we get there and we want to eat at restaurant "x" and it won't be available. Maybe I'll be kicking myself then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter