This is what I paid to upgrade 3 day PH to Power Pass

chabs

DIS Veteran
I know a lot of people are curious about how much it costs to upgrade tickets to an annual pass. We were just at Universal at the end of August and upgraded a couple of our 3 day park to park tickets to power passes (Adult). The power passes were $239.99 and they gave me credit for $224.99 each, so I paid $15 extra for each power pass.

Not a bad deal considering I paid about $195 plus tax for these tickets through Undercover Tourist (purchased last January).

thank you for posting this! We're going in a couple of weeks and I am trying to convince my DH to upgrade even though we don't have a plan to return within the year (but never say never!). I purchased the 3 day Park to park through Undercover Tourist for $197. So, for you the power passes were $239.99---isn't there tax? Website says $15.60 in tax even when you pickup from the kiosk. Based on your report it would GREAT to get them for $17 additional!

Thanks! Good to know. Considering that possibility on our first trip in May 2016.

thank you for posting this! We're going in a couple of weeks and I am trying to convince my DH to upgrade even though we don't have a plan to return within the year (but never say never!). I purchased the 3 day Park to park through Undercover Tourist for $197. So, for you the power passes were $239.99---isn't there tax? Website says $15.60 in tax even when you pickup from the kiosk. Based on your report it would GREAT to get them for $17 additional!

When you upgrade it would probably be $15 + tax. Both the $239.99 and the $224.99 in the OP are the gate prices without tax. Pricing on multiday tickets is $20 cheaper compared to the gate.

Also, from experiences here on the board, remember it's safest to use the tickets to get into the park then upgrade at the inside guest services. Going to the ticket booths outside could result in being asked to pay more.

Plus tax on the $15 upgrade fee of course. The first time we bought annual passes, we didn't think we would use them. But then we found out about Harry Potter weekend and ended up going, plus we had an opportunity to go again once in between. If you buy them, you will find excuses to use them.

I also should point out that they used the 3 day tickets to get in the park first. On the second day, I was doing some shopping while my husband and son were on some crazy rides, so I went over and upgraded their passes for them (I already had mine). So you can go upgrade without having to have your whole family wait there in person. I went to guest services inside the park.

I also should point out that they used the 3 day tickets to get in the park first. On the second day, I was doing some shopping while my husband and son were on some crazy rides, so I went over and upgraded their passes for them (I already had mine). So you can go upgrade without having to have your whole family wait there in person. I went to guest services inside the park.

Hmmm, I may have to do the same thing :rolleyes1

I have a question or 2. I have 2 day p2p tickets and would like to upgrade to 3 day tickets. I did a package which I have now learned was not the brightest idea. When I booked the package the tickets were cheaper then they are now. So when I called they wanted me to pay the new pricing plus the extra for the 3rd day. If I wait till I enter the park and go to guest services will I pay the difference from what the gate price is that day for the 2day to the 3 day or will they charge me from what I paid on the package to the 3rd pricing? I hope that makes sense.

I have a question or 2. I have 2 day p2p tickets and would like to upgrade to 3 day tickets. I did a package which I have now learned was not the brightest idea. When I booked the package the tickets were cheaper then they are now. So when I called they wanted me to pay the new pricing plus the extra for the 3rd day. If I wait till I enter the park and go to guest services will I pay the difference from what the gate price is that day for the 2day to the 3 day or will they charge me from what I paid on the package to the 3rd pricing? I hope that makes sense.

As long as you use the tickets first, you should get current gate value for them. You will just pay the difference of the current gate value of the 3-day ticket plus tax on that amount.

Last edited:
As long as you use the tickets first, you should get current gate value for them. You will just pay the difference of to current gate value of the day ticket plus tax on that amount.
Thank you very much Damo!!

When does your year start? Does it start on the day you upgrade or the day you first used the ticket? Like for example, if you have 4 day tickets, would it be better to upgrade on the last day?

it starts the day you first used your ticket, not when you upgraded.

upgrade the first day you use your ticket.

Just upgraded on 9/2 from the UT P2P 2 Day tickets plus 1 Day free. Paid $197.21 per ticket through them then upgraded the last day inside of Islands of Adventure at guest services. No issues, was credited the same as chabs, even got my pass reprinted later in the day when it got drenched by accident. Definitely recommend doing it from INSIDE of the park.

When you upgrade the UT P2P 2 Day tickets plus 1 Day free do they credit you as if it was a 3 Day ticket?

Also wondering how it would work if you wanted to book with an AP discount but needed to enter the park first to upgrade to the AP?

When you upgrade the UT P2P 2 Day tickets plus 1 Day free do they credit you as if it was a 3 Day ticket?

Also wondering how it would work if you wanted to book with an AP discount but needed to enter the park first to upgrade to the AP?

Yes, that deal (which I bought and used) through UT gave a credit at the guest service inside the park of $224.99. You would only pay $15 per ticket being upgraded to get a Power Pass.

You could always tell the front desk at your hotel - if they asked - that you are upgrading later in your stay. They would then have you present it before you check out to make sure that you actually have it. Otherwise, I think they would adjust your rate to rack rate.

I've used AP rates twice now and have not been asked to show the AP either time (we DO have them). YMMV. I'd hate to be surprised with rack rate! As long as you will have the AP before check out, as the PP said, I'm sure you would be fine.

For full disclosure for people potentially looking at this thread later, when Universal is offering the 2 day + 1 free tickets for a limited time, those tickets will only get credited with the value of a 2 day ticket at upgrade time. On the UT website, you can tell these tickets from the "regular" 2+1 tickets because they have an expiration date on them.

Confirming-people I was at the park with paid the same amount in August. They got their 3-day (they may have been buy 2-get 1 day free) tickets from the MS link to Undercover Tourist for $192 and an paid an extra $15 for Power Passes at the park after the third day of using their tickets; Their total PP cost was $207.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter