This is what I heard...is it true?

I am bit puzzled by this policy. How does one gain entry into a foreign country, say Cozumel, Mexico, if DCL has retained a passport?

Maybe it has something to do with controlling how foreign visitors leave the U.S.?

Scott

barkley said:
2. THIS IS THE PROBLEMATIC AREA-the onboard accounting department has different staff that post the "holds" from those who run the daily kttw charges. in our case (and i have heard of others who have encountered this as well) wherein disney should cancel a hold on funds when they actualy post the charges to the credit card-THIS DOES NOT ALWAYS HAPPEN IN A TIMELY MANNER. so in effect on saturday disney puts a $500 hold on the card, then each day posts your actual charges-maybe tuesday they put another $500 hold, still each day posting your actual charges, and so on...the result can be that your credit card bounces at the end of the trip because disney has both charged your card for your kttw purchases AND placed a hold for a similar dollar amount.

I had a similar problem after my cruise (this was on Celebrity about 5 years ago). The holds did not come off when the charges were posted. I didn't have a problem at disembarkation, but I had a TON of overdraft charges - I was able to use a debit card with a Visa logo - BIG mistake, don't do it, even if they let you - use a credit card, like Barkley said, with 24/7 customer service.

This will be our first cruise since that one, and this issue has been uppermost in my mind. My card will be paid off, and we'll have a $2,500 limit. For a 4-day cruise, we should be fine. However, I will still check in at the purser's desk (or whatever they call it now) once or twice. I do not want to go through that again, so I'll be watching it very carefully.

davenkaren said:
I am bit puzzled by this policy. How does one gain entry into a foreign country, say Cozumel, Mexico, if DCL has retained a passport?

On the Eastern, they give it to you right at the theatre where you will clear customs....But, on the way out, you give it right back..

Also, the last morning, you must clear customs on the ship early, and they give it back to you for the last time there..

Bringing two creidt cards is always a good idea. You never know when the credit card provider's system may be down and it refuses a transaction. It is nice to have an alternative if that happens.

With all of the automatic measures in place these days to control fraud even though you notified them you would be out of the country the automatic features have been know to freeze acounts until a human can review then. This may only be for a matter of a few hours or even minites but once the merchant received a "denied" authorization they may not rerun the card for you.

re the passports for non us citizens.
We have done 5 DCl cruises (6th booked) and they kept our passports each time. They ask at check in if you have other suitable ID - my mum has a photo driving licence which is fine but I don't - so they always copy my passport for me and this has always been acceptable. What was really nice on the West Coast cruise was that we could pick up our passports on the Friday - no getting up early on the Sat to collect them!
Wendy

Hi everyone,
So if I am reading this right you CAN bring cash and give it to the ship instead of a CC? I only have a bank card and it sounds like I would be better with out it. We are not planning til 08 but i am trying to get as much info as I can. Thanks everyone for your help!!

kid98 said:
Hi everyone,
So if I am reading this right you CAN bring cash and give it to the ship instead of a CC? I only have a bank card and it sounds like I would be better with out it. We are not planning til 08 but i am trying to get as much info as I can. Thanks everyone for your help!!

Yes, my cousin did just that last September..Gave 500$ cash, and went back to give extra, as there obviously is a cutoff....Worked out great for her...And probably an easier way to keep track of spending.. :goodvibes

mommasita,
Thank you so much!!! Kinda makes the mind at ease not having to worry about credit limits or being cut off.... When the cash is gone you know your done!! Thanks again
Kid98

Are legal US residents with "green cards" treated as US or non-citizens. I hate to have to have myself and the kids separate from my Canadian hubby at check in.

Another option for onboard expenses is to prepay - go ahead and put money on your account to have a "credit" when you get onboard.

Last time we took our 7 day cruise - I put a some money on our account/room each month. When we got on the ship we knew how much we had to spend and we stuck to the budget. It worked out pretty well. We still had to leave a cc at check-in but everything was fine with our onboard credit!

I'll do the same thing for our upcoming cruise in 2006! :banana:

first of all for the person who posted before me about being worried that DCL takes your passports, "Needing it for ID to cash Travellers Cheques" . We just used our driver's license for ID to cash them.

And one more thing about the amount you charge to your account on the ship before DCL charges your credit card. We instructed DCL that we would be settling our account each night with Travellers Cheques/ cash. After only charging $250 the first night(shore excursions) they charged our CC even after explaining to them we would settle nightly with cash. So be aware that it is less than $500 before DCL charges. This was in Feb/05.

kg66, I just called DCL and asked about the policy. The CM said that as soon as our charges reach $200 they charge it to the card. That's not a problem. We'll keep checking our balance and make sure we aren't going wild with spending. We've given ourselves a limit and we'll stick to it.

if you truly want to test out what some of us have said occurs with the hold on funds (thank you to the poster who used the comparison of what restaurants do-it is exactly the same). after you have boarded the ship use your cell phone (prior to sailing of course :) ) and call the 800 number for the credit card you have provided disney. speak to customer service rep. and ask if any portion of your credit line has been put into a hold or reserve against/for purchases on disney.

KTTW: Is a deposit mandatory? What amount is required on a cash account? Do we have the option of NO charging priveldges on our KTTW Card?

barkley said:
if you truly want to test out what some of us have said occurs with the hold on funds (thank you to the poster who used the comparison of what restaurants do-it is exactly the same). after you have boarded the ship use your cell phone (prior to sailing of course :) ) and call the 800 number for the credit card you have provided disney. speak to customer service rep. and ask if any portion of your credit line has been put into a hold or reserve against/for purchases on disney.
No holds placed. In fact I had a 100 obc and the extra charges were 40.00 which didn't get charged til 2 days later.I actually checked my cc later the first night and the only chargeduring that day was for the parking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter