This is so bad....wdyt? lying about age...

Status
Not open for further replies.

caroline1851

DIS Veteran
I know someone who is taking a child who will be 10 years old and 8 months when going to wdw and they're going to lie and say he's 9. I think that's sooooooooo wrong. I can see the temptation if he had turned 10 the day or two before the trip but, 8 months is just bad.

Lying is always wrong. What do I think? I think I'd tell the truth.

When I was a kid, I remember my parents telling me how old I was in case anyone asked. I remember feeling bad then and that's why I don't do it now.

I think if you have to lie in order to afford something, you should save up more or not go.

I don't Disney cares that much, Just as some people are saying their kids are younger, there are others who are saying they are older, for the meal plans. I did it myself the last 2 times I went with my grandkids-said put them at 10. They would rather have more choices than the kids meals.

I remember once when we were at Trails End at Fort Wilderness being complimented by a CM for being honest about my son's age. Why would I lie--it would be giving my kids carte blanche to lie themselves. But I guess there's people for whom honesty is just not that big a thing. For me, the cost of lying in front of my children far exceeds the money I'd have saved by buying the kids buffet instead of the adult's.:confused3

I don't know, I don't think it's too bad. When I was 10, I was TINY and such a picky eater. I would just get chicken fingers ANYWHERE I went. Why pay the extra money for the dining plan when your kid is going to order off the kids menu everywhere anyway? It's not like they are getting away with anything. The 10 year old's plan costs a fraction of what the adult plan costs but the kid has to order from the kids entrees, which are a fraction of the cost and size of adult entrees :confused3

It depends on the situation, though. If your 10 year old is big for his or her age, has a hearty appetite and ADR's were made at all Buffet places, then no, I don't think that is right at all.

It depends on the situation, though. If your 10 year old is big for his or her age, has a hearty appetite and ADR's were made at all Buffet places, then no, I don't think that is right at all.

Yup, he's big and has a huge appetite. What will probaly happen is that he'll order off the kid's menu and then will still be hungry (which will happen) and she'll have to pay oop for all the extra food he needs. :thumbsup2

My dd was turning 3 in nOvember and I wanted to go in November but didn't want to spend the extra money so I had to plan my trip a few weeks earlier. I didn't feel it was right to have her lie about her age and for her to see us lie about her age.

I agree, its not that big of a deal if your child is close to that age, and if you have a child that will only eat stuff from the childrens menu. If they are doing it to save money-then maybe they can't afford to go to Disney (if I remember right the price difference is only about 10 a day). Like I said before I pay extra for my grandkids to get a adult meal (and Disney knew the correct age and they were okay with it-in fact they were the ones who put the age as 10). Haven't you ever ordered a kids meal at a fast food place for yourself? I know I have and I'm not 12.

I don't think I would do this... it gives the children the wrong example, and teaches them that not telling the truth is ok....and the first people the children with test out their new skill on are the parents themselves... then the parents wonder why their children are lying to them... I always always stress that honesty is the most important thing to maintain integrity...

The child will probably be miserable on the children's plan... selections are very limited at most restaurants and even my picky eater 9 year old was getting frustrated...I often had to share my meal with her just to give her variety.. I hope this child's parents are prepared to do so, or come out of pocket for extras...

Really, we cannot control what others do or teach their children to do. Maybe a nice thing to do would be to suggest that she look at the menus and maybe let her son decide if the children's menu is going to satisfy him... otherwise, it's probably best to just not worry about it... you're not the one being untruthful...

How do you tell your child to lie about their age and then expect them to tell you the truth about other things? That makes it a big deal to me.

I wouldn't do it..I have sucked it up and put my kids real ages since we started going (my stedaughter had JUST turned 10 2 weeks prior to 1 trip) and she ate like a bird!

Most recently we called and added my nephew...when we added him he was 2...Not even thinking we gave the age *2*. I called back 2 days ago because I realized he was turning 3 before our trip ....I couldn't deal with the guilt. What if someone asked? I can't lie about it---or expect the kids there to lie either. Plus now he gets his own meals and all is well with the world and Karma ;)

Yup, he's big and has a huge appetite. What will probaly happen is that he'll order off the kid's menu and then will still be hungry (which will happen) and she'll have to pay oop for all the extra food he needs. :thumbsup2

My dd was turning 3 in nOvember and I wanted to go in November but didn't want to spend the extra money so I had to plan my trip a few weeks earlier. I didn't feel it was right to have her lie about her age and for her to see us lie about her age.

Well if he is a big eater, than they should put his age at 10-sounds like they are doing it just to save money-and not because he doesn't eat that much. They will spend more money in the long run, paying extra.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:
I think there are too many other things to worry about!

Personally, no I wouldn't , but honestly, I could care less what others do.....people do what they have to do for their family dynamics to work....some say older, some say younger....I think Disney has seen it all :lmao:,

...............Kids do learn by example though.............:flower3:

That is wrong. If a kid is maybe a within a month of 9, then maybe that would be ok. But being a person who believes in fairness, I find this wrong. I could never get my kid to lie about his age anyway. He has the fairness gene too!

I agree, its not that big of a deal if your child is close to that age, and if you have a child that will only eat stuff from the childrens menu. If they are doing it to save money-then maybe they can't afford to go to Disney (if I remember right the price difference is only about 10 a day). .

The difference is actually huge for us when talking about the deluxe dining plan - 20.00 a day verus 70.00 a day :scared1:

I would like to see Disney change the age of the child option to 12 myself. My husband and I have struggled with our weight and do not want to see our children do the same. If my son is forced to get the adult meal plan, he would get an appetizer,entree and Large desert at every resturant. That is just over kill for a 10 year old child. As it is my hubby and I each get an app. and split it with kids and we still have to much. So maybe for some it is more about excess and waste than the money issue - for me I would say it is both ! Disney seriously needs to think about changing the age !!

If somebody wants to lie to WDW to save a few bucks, that's between them and Disney, and my honest opinion is that its pretty much a no-harm, no-foul situation. The 9 year cutoff is arbitrary and it doesn't cost Disney any more to accomidate a 10 year old, so what's the big deal? BUT, I agree with many of the other posters; I'd never do it because I'd never want to ask my kids to lie, nor would I want them to see me lying.

10 is 10, and 9 is 9. And it's not a victimless crime---even if you don't care about Disney's income---because the revenue they lose through this will absolutely be made up in other ways, and honest folks are likely to pay a few pennies towards that recovery.

That said, sometimes crime does pay. This is probably one of those times. We each have to live with the decisions we make.

I know someone who is taking a child who will be 10 years old and 8 months when going to wdw and they're going to lie and say he's 9. I think that's sooooooooo wrong. I can see the temptation if he had turned 10 the day or two before the trip but, 8 months is just bad.

I wouldn't do anything about it. What my friend does on their vacation is none of my business and I wouldn't be worried about it. It's between them, their kid and WDW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter