This girl is moving to Florida!!

shortnsassy730

DIS Veteran
I am so excited!!! I am moving to Longwood in May! I'm always up for meeting new Disney peeps! If you're gonna be around and need someone to hit the parks with, keep me in mind! :yay:

I don't know where you're coming from, but you're going to love it here.

Construction has finished on SR 429 and it's an easy 45 min drive to the mouse. On the down side, it's a toll road, but on the positive side there is never any traffic on this road.

Good luck! I have a friend who recently packed up and moved from New York to Florida. A total leap, but she loves it. She just got a part-time job selling tickets at Epcot, her favorite park. She's so happy for what she did, and I'm so envious!

Congratulations! :goodvibes I moved from LA to S FL several years ago & am going to be looking to move in the Orlando area w/in the next couple of years.

I've been looking into areas to live that are safe, not too urbanized or cookie-cutter & not too far away from WDW.

Any suggestions or sites to look at for advise? What I'd really like is a bungalow or small single family house w/a small yard for my dog & (preferably) no HOA.

Congrats! I moved here about a year ago. I live in Altamonte Springs right now, about 40 minutes to WDW but I'll be moving a little closer to Winter Park in June.
I'm sure you'll like it here- I have so far, though the cost of living is higher than I expected.
Still, being able to hit the parks on a day off work makes it worth it 100%
Make sure you get your Florida license soon, then you can get resident prices on tickets and APs :)

Congratulations! :goodvibes I moved from LA to S FL several years ago & am going to be looking to move in the Orlando area w/in the next couple of years. I've been looking into areas to live that are safe, not too urbanized or cookie-cutter & not too far away from WDW. Any suggestions or sites to look at for advise? What I'd really like is a bungalow or small single family house w/a small yard for my dog & (preferably) no HOA.

Altamonte is nice, but 40 minutes may be too far. Same for Lake Nona, it's not as close but I know they are building nice town homes and such out there.
There are nice areas of Winter Park and of course Kissimmee is a hop skip and jump to WDW. That's where I'd look. Dr. Phillips is nice too.

Good luck!!

Altamonte is nice, but 40 minutes may be too far. Same for Lake Nona, it's not as close but I know they are building nice town homes and such out there.
There are nice areas of Winter Park and of course Kissimmee is a hop skip and jump to WDW. That's where I'd look. Dr. Phillips is nice too.

Good luck!!

Thanks! :) I was looking into Kissimmee around the downtown area but a couple people I know told me it's not a good area. I guess the best thing to do is reserve one night to hang out in the area I'm looking out for a while.

Thanks! :) I was looking into Kissimmee around the downtown area but a couple people I know told me it's not a good area. I guess the best thing to do is reserve one night to hang out in the area I'm looking out for a while.

I also wouldn't suggest the downtown Kissimmee area. I used to live in Kissimmee (not far from Downtown); and am now in the Maitland area.

Altamonte Springs and Longwood are pretty nice places. We're gonna look at those areas when we eventually get a house. Winter park is nice as well. All are an easy hop onto I-4 to get to Disney as well (as long as traffic is good).

Hey! Just thought I'd join this thread since I'm also moving to the Orlando area after my college graduation in May :cool1:. I drove down to the area on my spring break last week to scope out some apartments/neighborhoods I was interested in. I absolutely loved Winter Park. I also liked the Hunter's Creek area and Windemere. Can't wait to be somewhere that's close to Disney and not too far from the beach!

Congrats everyone! I went to high school in Lake Mary and lived in Longwood on and off for a few years after high school. I have lived in Winter Park, and Stephe you should definitely check it out. I don't know what prices are right now, but there are quite a few neighborhoods in the area around the Enzian (http://www.enzian.org/) that would meet the criteria you have. It would be at least a 30 minute drive depending on traffic in that area. The closest I ever lived to Disney was when I lived downtown, in the Thornton Park area which I loved (but can be quite pricey). I do have a few friends who are true Disney lovers who live in the heart of it in Lake Buena Vista! They love it, but I've never lived over there so I don't know what the neighborhoods are like. Good luck to all of you! I may be joining you in the next year or so! After living in Texas for the last five years, I think I am ready to be back with my friends and within driving distance of the beach and Disney!:cool1:

Thanks for all of the suggestions & feedback! :) Winter Park does look nice as well as some other areas mentioned here. I'll keep browsing & hopefully will be better informed by the time I'll be ready to move.

Aloha!

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I've lived in Orlando off and on since 1989, and I've lived in LBV, on I-drive, Millennia area, south Orlando, and now Lake Nona.

Lake Nona is by no means far from WDW! It's exactly 30 min from my driveway to the front door of the Poly (my favorite!) it's less to the toll plaza at Epcot, and about the same to the Studios.

It's close to the airport, 25 min to downtown, and a very up-and-coming area--also where a sizable number of good paying jobs are or will be (something in short supply in Orlando to date).

If anyone has any questions about this area, I'd be happy to try and answer!

Scott

Congrats on your move! I live over by Tampa, and have my whole life, and I wouldn't leave Florida for anything less than a million dollars. ;)

We moved from MN to FL last June (job transfer) & we are now 4 miles from Disney!!! I love it!

If u ever need a park buddy let me know! :dance3:

Congrats on your move!
My daughter will be graduating high school next year. She is looking at colleges not to far from Disney! Yes my daughter is a Disney freak! She wants an annual pass too.
I am joining this thread would love to hear more about the areas!

Congrats on your move!
My daughter will be graduating high school next year. She is looking at colleges not to far from Disney! Yes my daughter is a Disney freak! She wants an annual pass too.
I am joining this thread would love to hear more about the areas!

I was looking for more suggestions, so I started a thread & received a few answers so far. Here's the link to it: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51229385#post51229385

I have gotten some good tips from citydata.com boards as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter