This Christmas, I want to see a real castle : Europe & DLP Dec 2013

Hi! I'm Paprika, Toy Story's DDprincess:

I will try to pop in with updates/more info/planning as I can. (but classes are about to start so no promises) This is my fourth trip to Disney (dl, wdw, td) and my 21st birthday present! Cola- this is why we can't switch around our paris dates. My birthday is the 12th and I get to spend it at the park! (Wish we were staying in Cinderella's suite though...)

Welcome to the boards, what an amazing 21st birthday you will have :woohoo:

I've got to say maybe swap your DLP/Paris around, finish in DLP, depending on what day of the week you are where and pricing.

If you are flying out of Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport, getting from DLP to CDG is ridiculously easy on the train and only takes close to 10 min - it was the most painless airport transfer I've ever done! (other than when you select English as the language for the ticket machine, airport is still spelt aeroport) It's a LOT faster getting to the airport than getting into Paris (40min-ish by train). You could have a full day at the parks, yet low stress level because it is Disney, not have to worry about traffic or getting lost, and then a very easy transfer to the airport.

Hi Cola,
Thanks for the tip regarding the DLP - airport transfer. I would prefer to do DIsney last in a trip - you get to go home with that Disney magic feeling :lovestruc But as Paprika pointed out, we have planned our visit around her birthday.

Loving the sound of your trip Toy Story. :)

Welcome to the boards Paprika. May you have a truly magical 21st birthday. pixiedust:

Accommodation in Paris has been booked. We are staying in La Marais, I have booked an apartment through airbnb. The host is lovely and has emailed me some tips - including the train directions from DLP. One less thing for me to work out :)

Paprika was in Canberra this week - so I had her looking at the menus to select where she would like to have her birthday dinner. She has chosen Auberge de Cendrillon - so I may revisit the dining plan options.

We will start the trip with Earl of Sandwich - this has been or first stop on both trips to WDW, so it is officially a 'tradition'.

Sounds so exciting and Le Marais is a nice area to stay in. You can walk to lots of sights or catch the metro - so easy. I am sure Paprika will have a brilliant birthday and you all will have a great time. Looking forward to the TR!

Sounds so exciting and Le Marais is a nice area to stay in. You can walk to lots of sights or catch the metro - so easy. I am sure Paprika will have a brilliant birthday and you all will have a great time. Looking forward to the TR!

Thanks, two friends said we would like the Le Marais area. the host at airbnb has been lovely :)

the winter specials on the IE site are out, so I am booking tonight.

I think I will add the dining half board, Paprika (DD) wants her birthday dinner with the Princesses, the is Euro 65 a head! so with that and one other character meal were over half the cost of the half board plan.

Disneyland Paris booked and paid for :dance3:

We have booked at the Disneyland Hotel - I requested a higher room, no other requests as yet. Any recommendations?

We decided to add the half board dining plan as two of the meals we wanted to do were going to cover at least half the price of the dining plan. So now I get to do some extra dining reviews planning :)

I think with all the accommodation booked in everyone is a bit more excited :thumbsup2

With DLP booked, I am now stalking the Eurostar site to book the train from London to DLP. Has anyone else done this? Apparently they release a set number of tickets at a lower price...

My mind has started turning to food.... and dining reservations.
DD wants to have he birthday dinner at Auberge de Cendrillon. So my current thinking is:

Day 1: Lunch at EOS / Dinner at Inventions (character / buffet)
Day 2: Dinner at Walts
Day 3: ....TBD (not sure we want to do the Wild West show)
Day 4: Dinner at Auberge de Cendrillon
Day 5: Buffet lunch - maybe back at Inventions before we get train to Paris.

What day of the week are you travelling on the Eurostar - is it direct to DLP?

There are some days that you need to change trains from London to DLP and some that have direct services. They all have different booking windows. It is cheaper to book in advance... I ended up calling them. They were super helpful.

With DLP booked, I am now stalking the Eurostar site to book the train from London to DLP. Has anyone else done this? Apparently they release a set number of tickets at a lower price...

My mind has started turning to food.... and dining reservations.
DD wants to have he birthday dinner at Auberge de Cendrillon. So my current thinking is:

Day 1: Lunch at EOS / Dinner at Inventions (character / buffet)
Day 2: Dinner at Walts
Day 3: ....TBD (not sure we want to do the Wild West show)
Day 4: Dinner at Auberge de Cendrillon
Day 5: Buffet lunch - maybe back at Inventions before we get train to Paris.

I remember when we were considering London on our Europe trip, I read somewhere that if you ring up, you can get tickets for dates further out that what's available online?!?!

I will go back and hide quietly in my hole again if I'm wrong...

What day of the week are you travelling on the Eurostar - is it direct to DLP?

There are some days that you need to change trains from London to DLP and some that have direct services. They all have different booking windows. It is cheaper to book in advance... I ended up calling them. They were super helpful.

We are travelling on a Thursday - is there anyway to tell what days are a direct service? Though it probably does not matter as all our accommodation is booked.

I remember when we were considering London on our Europe trip, I read somewhere that if you ring up, you can get tickets for dates further out that what's available online?!?!

I will go back and hide quietly in my hole again if I'm wrong...

I have called once - and was told that to try mid-August... if there is nothing by this time next week I will try and call again.

I have been starting to fill in some of the gaps for our trip planning.

It is a secret (so don't tell DH) but I have booked a Food Walking tour in Rome for his birthday present. We did one in NY and really enjoyed hearing about the history of the different traders and the food they served.

I have also booked tickets to Les Misérables on West End as part of the DD's Christmas present - and the other part of their present will be the Harry Potter Studio tour. They know about the gifts as they had to negotiate which stage show to see.

I am trying to research a city a week - but I then get side-tracked in forums about thermal clothing and what to wear to stay warm, which leads me to looking for clothes online :surfweb:

I have been starting to fill in some of the gaps for our trip planning.

It is a secret (so don't tell DH) but I have booked a Food Walking tour in Rome for his birthday present. We did one in NY and really enjoyed hearing about the history of the different traders and the food they served.

I have also booked tickets to Les Misérables on West End as part of the DD's Christmas present - and the other part of their present will be the Harry Potter Studio tour. They know about the gifts as they had to negotiate which stage show to see.

I am trying to research a city a week - but I then get side-tracked in forums about thermal clothing and what to wear to stay warm, which leads me to looking for clothes online :surfweb:

Enjoy the shopping!

Enjoy the shopping!

Thanks - I was not too bad :rolleyes: a cashmere wrap, woollen thermals (on sale at Target) and a knitting hat patter and wool for my youngest DD to make herself a hat to take. I did also suggest should could knit a scarf for her dad, and a neck wrap for me, but she already has two jumpers she needs to finish, so I think I am a long way down her 'to do list'.

I got a good price for Eurostar through Rail Europe and registering to get instant updates when tix were released but we only wanted one way not return and had to catch from Paris not DLP as we needed to be back in the UK by lunchtime and the UK direct train only leaves from DLP pm (allowing you to have the day in the parks). Certain times of the year it only goes direct certain days but coming into the Xmas peak season I imagine it will be every day.

You will see on the Paris DLP boards the English are pretty quick to post the minute the cheap tix are released or if there is a way of getting on to them early. I would watch the posts there as well as making the phone calls. I did observe while watching for 6 months prior that the tix that required a change of trains also seemed to be quite a bit cheaper than the direct and the change at Lille was reported to be super easy. If you do get an early release return cheap price they seemed amazingly good.

Thanks Aussie Wendy - we are only going one way - London to DLP. From DLP we will be going to Paris for a week.

BTW - I have been using all the photos in your trip report to try and get my family slightly excited about the trip - we are going to add on the Harry potter tour as well :)

I hope you enjoy HP as much as we did! You may find you don't get as good a deal one way as return on the Eurostar - a lot of their special prices are return tix only. Going the reverse direction I saw Rail Europe selling 1 way tix for $50 (Aus$) for Feb travel and we got it for $67 per person for end of May. I think some UK people got a return deal sometime inbetween those months for around 65 pounds.

Your Xmas trip sounds amazing btw. I am looking forward to reading all about it down the track.

<Insert double digit dance> :banana::banana:

More bookings made.

One way London to DLP on Eurostar - booking this is like trying to get dining reservations at WDW. Three or four months of tickets were released on one day, and they sell batches of tickets for lower prices - the price goes up for every batch of tickets sold :sad2: I booked ours at the lowest price and managed to have us seated around a table which is good. Now to hope we will fit on with all our luggage.

I have also booked our Studio Tour tickets for the Harry Potter Studio - I picked the 10.30am session, to try and miss peak the peak our public transport. I have also started downloading the Rick Stein Europe podcasts.

Thanks to Aussie Wendy, Shussh and Zanzibaar for your amazing TR's - I am 'borrowing' a lot of your tips.

sorry for the complete lack of updates - I have been spending free time researching and getting lost in travel forums and podcasts.

I have hit another snag wit the Italian trains for December not yet on sale - which means I can't book anything in for travel days.

I have planned our Rome and Florence itinerary - so only five more cities and DLP to go.

I can book our dining reservations next month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter