This cat is KILLING me!!!

Soldier's*Sweeties

DIS Veteran
How often do cats go through heat?

I thought it could be as often as every three weeks, but it has NOT been three weeks since Lucky's first one(since we've had her).

She is scheduled to get fixed on the 16th but holy cow is she annoying! I don't want to keep her up in a room or alone in the basement because I guess stress can make the heat last longer...Any tips on dealing with her?

Why did you wait so long to get her fixed? Now you know or next time ! Get em fixed young and avoid what your going through now. You both will be happier.

You've barely had the chance to acclimate her and she's already having a second one? Wow, I know that you'll be glad when the 16th comes around.

Why did you wait so long to get her fixed? Now you know or next time ! Get em fixed young and avoid what your going through now. You both will be happier.
We adopted her a little over a month ago.

She isn't a kitten.

This was as soon as our regular vet could get her in.

Dumb question: I've never had an unspayed female. What is so bad about it?

Dumb question: I've never had an unspayed female. What is so bad about it?

Just annoying really... Really loud meowing fits that last forever! She follows us everywhere and runs in front to "assume the position" and she won't move lol

I was sweeping earlier and she would NOT move... Just sat there with her rear end up meowing at me.

At least you know what's happening with her. I had never had a female cat before and we were planning to have her fixed but she went into heat before I did it. I thought she hurt her back! She was acting crazy and wouldn't walk right. I was so worried! I took her to the vet and $90.00 later they told me she was just in heat!

Got a male around? I think I read somewhere that a male can trigger it at anytime.

We wanted to wait until our female kitten was a little bit older than the typical 'spay and neuter, sell the kitten' shelter time frame, as I thought that they did it a bit too early. Now I understand why! Poor girl kitty was miserable, and so was our very old, very neutered male cat. Finally, he swatted her away with a hiss that could be translated as "bug off, can't you see I'm no use to you?" :lmao:

I think cats kind of *stay in heat* until they are bred

yep, just found this:
Heat Cycles in Cats

Cats are referred to as "polyestrus," which means that they will go into heat cycles periodically during their fertile years. These heat cycles may start as early as the fourth or fifth month of a kitten's life, and will continue until she is either bred or spayed. Heat cycles in cats last from several days to two weeks or longer, and repeat every two to three weeks. You can see then, how a female cat may almost always seem to be in heat.

I know what you are going through. My kitty went into heat when she was 4 months. I ran to the vet, and he confirmed it. We had her spayed a couple of weeks later. The crying and meowing was so bad.

She isn't a kitten.

Call another vet and get it done sooner rather than later. I've always been able to get an appointment within a week. If you are really opposed to using a different vet, call your vet and explain the situation and ask if they can squeeze you in or at the very least call you if they get a cancellation.

She isn't a kitten.

Makes me appreciate the local shelter policies.....the pets cannot even leave the shelter without being fixed. If they are kittens...eight weeks old and snip.

I can't imagine having to wait 3 weeks to go see my vet.

I agree with the PP who said to call your vet and explain the situation. Your cat and your family are both miserable.

She can be seen at our vet for things other than surgeries, but they only do surgeries two days a week.

I'm going to call around. I think they have to wait until she's out if this heat first though don't they?

It is slightly more dangerous to spay a cat in heat due to the potential for additional blood loss, but a competent vet can do it (it does usually cost a little more though).

I can't imagine dealing with ongoing heat, we had our kitten spayed at 4 months (thought I could wait till six months) after going into heat...it was MISERABLE for her and for us. I thought she was totally out of heat when I got her spayed but she wasn't, so we paid about $25 more. I was told they go into heat as often as every three weeks. :scared:

Get her spayed ASAP! You will both be much, much happier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter