Third Time's a Charm!

Escape2Disney

Friendly Neighborhood Disney Fanatic!
Hi, Mousketeers!

I hope you will join me as I tell the tale of our family's very first trip to Disney World! For those of you that might remember, we attempted to go twice before, but were sidelined by medical setbacks. Both times we decided to head back to our comfort zone - Disneyland - for budget trips once the dust settled. While we really enjoyed our time there, we were bummed that we still hadn't made it to the east coast park.

This time, I've made a conscious decision to schedule my next surgery for the month after we get back. It's a big one, and doesn't have great odds, so it's more important than ever to hit those bucket-list items while we can. In this report, I will mention various details about how I plan to make it a SAFE trip for me in the off chance other health-challenged folks can use the info to help themselves in their travel goals. For you healthy folks, don't worry, this won't be a depressing tale - far from it! We'll focus on how we plan to make the most of our 13 days in Florida! It's all about creating memories!

Now, let's get down to business!

Cast of Characters:
  • Me (45yo)
    • Disney Experience: Expert at Disneyland, no Disney World experience
    • Favorite Character: Goofy!
    • Main Goals of the Trip: Family time, Catching up with a long-time friend, World Showcase, Shows, & Gentle rides
  • DD (22yo) - my daughter
    • Disney Experience: Expert at Disneyland, no Disney World experience
    • Favorite Character: Mulan
    • Main Goals of the Trip: Family Time, Getting to know a new park, seeing new things
  • Friend (45yo) - my friend from high school
    • Disney Experience: Been to Disney World a few times, but never planned
    • Favorite Character: No idea! I should probably ask her
    • Main Goals of the Trip: Hanging out with us for the first time in 15 years, Thrill rides
  • YoungFriend (22yo) - daughter of Friend
    • Disney Experience: Been to Disney World a few times as a kid/teen
    • Favorite Character: Again, I don't know, but should ask her
    • Main Goals of the Trip: Hanging out with us, Thrill rides
  • AuntJ (Not telling - she'd kill me!)
    • Not Attending Disney - Will visit at their home near Orlando
    • Important Facts About Her: This lovely woman helped raise me! Though we aren't blood related, she was like a second mom through most of my childhood. I haven't seen her in 30 years, so I'm thrilled we'll be able to spend some time together on this trip.
  • UncleB (Not telling - he'd kill me!)
    • Not Attending Disney - Will visit at their home near Orlando
    • Important Facts About Him: Probably the nicest man I've ever met - bar none! Just a gentle soul, and a big part of my childhood! I can't wait to see him too!
  • J&B's Family (15-45yo)
    • So far, Not Attending Disney, though I hope to convince them to join in for a day or two
    • Their son, A and I grew up like siblings. Most people at school thought we were brother and sister until they moved to Florida when I was 15. So many decades later, he's married and has two beautiful teenage daughters. They seem to be a lovely family, and I look forward to getting to know them a bit. If all goes well, we plan to ask his girls to hang out with us for a few days at the parks.
When & Where

My lovely friend is allowing us to use her timeshare condo for a week, which made it possible for us to plan a two week stay! (Woo, hoo!!) More days mean more time for breaks and to simply enjoy the sights. We need to visit when DD is on a college break and when the humidity is relatively low. Most of her breaks fall during the late Spring and Summer, which wouldn't work with my health. That left us with Christmas. We've done December trips at Disneyland and just loved the energy of the parks. So December it is! Bonus: My birthday will be near the end of the trip!!

• Dates: December 10-22
  • Lodging: Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas (Dec 10-17), Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort (Dec 17-22)
I've poured over forums and other Disney related sites, so I know our second week will be quite busy. We really only had 2 choices - leave after a week, or deal with the crowds. We chose crowds, but plan to have a solid plan and good attitude. :-)

That's it for this post. In the next one I'll post our dining info...

Most people go to Disney for the food, right? While I wouldn't say it's a main focus of ours, we do plan to eat well on this journey. During the first week of our stay we'll be eating at the condo for breakfast and lunch, and counter service locations for dinner. FRIEND and YOUNGFRIEND will be joining us for the first 3 days.

The second week is onsite, and we were able to snag FREE DINING! After many conversations, and a lot of energy pouring over menus, DD and I decided to upgrade to Deluxe Dining so we can enjoy more table service locations.

Here's what we have reserved:

• Dec 17:
    • Breakfast at 1900 Park Fare
    • Dinner at Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show
  • Dec 18:
    • Breakfast at Chef Mickey
    • Dinner at Be Our Guest
  • Dec 19 (BIRTHDAY!!):
    • Lunch at Tutto Italia Ristorante
    • Dinner at Chefs de France
  • DEC 20:
    • Brunch at Cinderella's Royal Table
    • Dinner at Jungle Navigation Co.
  • DEC 21:
    • Lunch at Brown Derby
    • Dinner at Spice Road
  • DEC 22:
    • Breakfast at Cape May
    • Dinner at Sanaa
I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to get these, so I stayed up until 3am to be one of the first to reserve at the 180 day mark (we're on the West Coast). That sleepless night paid off! We were able to get nearly all of the reservations we wanted! Some were completely booked by noon that day.

While we will indulge in foods we rarely eat at home, I don't think I'll be scarfing down too many sacks on this trip since so many of the meals come with dessert. We plan to use those snack credits for breakfasts/lunches that aren't reserved.

Next up, the 15th draft of our daily plans (if they don't change again before I write the post) :-)

This post is L.O.N.G., so hold on to your hats!

One major difference I'm seeing between DLR and WDW is the importance of planning. When we go to DLR, I do plan, but often scrap the plans when we're there. We sleep in some days, head to the other park when crowds are too heavy, and generally go with the flow at least half of the time. The more I read about WDW, the more I realize that it's not quite as simple.

The good news is I LOVE PLANNING! We won't be there for 5 months, and I've already gathered enough info to fill a 50+ page booklet. Every bit of information we might possibly need goes in the book. I'm making one for myself, DD, Friend, and YoungFriend so we all know where we should be and when. Everyone's priorities are highlighted, and daily schedules will include all of our FastPass options, meal times, and show times. My biggest challenge in making a schedule is predicting when I'll need breaks. I've been warned by my doctor that I HAVE to pace myself or I might end up stuck in a hospital thousands of miles from home. If I start to feel bad, I have to stop. I can't push through like I did in my 20s.

So, I have to plan for the unexpected. Easy, right?

Honestly I think it'll work out. As long as I am willing exit the parks to take naps or cancel a day if my immune system goes haywire, I should make it to the end of the trip having done most of what we planned. I have to go with the right mindset, make use of the DAS and FastPasses, and keep priorities straight, I'll be okay.

How does a person plan for breaks? Well, I've decided to incorporate two types of breaks - SLOW DOWNS & EXITS. Slow downs include watching shows, eating meals, and people-watching. Exits are pretty self-explanatory. We'll leave the parks with enough time to make it back to the room and sleep for an hour to an hour and a half. On days when the park hours are limited, we won't leave the park, but I will schedule in some down time. Thankfully I have my wonderful daughter to remind me that skipping rest time will ruin the trip. I love this girl! She's not afraid to call me out if I'm not taking care of myself.

So enough rambling, right?? Time to show you our tentative schedule!! Please let me know if you have suggestions for making it better

DAY 1: DEC 10
  • 2:30am - Leave for the airport (YIKES!!)
  • 5:00am - Flight to Orlando
  • 5:55pm - FINALLY arrive at MCO, meet up with Friend and YoungFriend (YAY!!), and head to the condo
  • 8:30pm - Dinner at Sweet Tomatoes
  • Early bed time
DAY 2: DEC 11 MAGIC KINGDOM (Christmas Party is that night, but we won't be attending) - HOURS: 9am - 7pm
  • Get our tired butts up at 7am, and have breakfast in the condo
  • Leave the room no later than 8am so we can get to the park in time to see the Welcome show.
  • Once we're in, I'll head to City Hall to get a ** DAS ** while DD, Friend, and YoungFriend head to Space Mountain. They'll ride as many times as they want/can while I'm busy.
  • From there, we plan to watch the Main Street Trolly Show and ride Buzz Lightyear, and Haunted Mansion. If we have time before lunch, we'll do a bit of shopping.
  • We'll eat our packed lunches
  • After lunch, we'll ride Peter Pan (FP), take pictures in front of the castle, go to Mickey's PhilharMagic, and ride Jingle Cruise (FP)
  • By then, I'll need a rest, but there won't be enough time if I plan to come back for more park time. Instead, I'll find the Disabled viewing area for the 3pm parade. Once in that area, I'll close my eyes for a bit while the others ride Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Tomorrowland Speedway. They'll join me right before the parade.
  • The rest of the day we'll go to the Tiki Room, Country Bear Jamboree, Pirate's Adventure, and Pirates of the Caribbean. If there is enough time after that, the others will go on BTMRR and Tororowland Speedway again while I shop.
  • Right before we leave, we'll grab dinner from Columbia Harbor House and head back to the room for a quiet evening. We have a lot of catching up to do, and this seems like a great time to do it!
DAY 3: DEC 12: Disney's Hollywood Studios (Be sure to read the notes below to see why we decided to go to this park on this day) - HOURS: 9am - 7pm
  • Get our tired butts up at 7am, and have breakfast in the condo
  • Leave the room no later than 8am so we can get to the park in time to see the Welcome show.
  • Go to Toy Story Midway Mania (FP) right away
  • The 3 able-bodied folks in our group will ride Star Tours
  • We'll all go on the Great Movie Ride
  • Then they'll go on Rockin' Roller Coaster (FP) while I shop a bit
  • We'll get a new FP for Toy Story & Rockin' Roller Coaster
  • Eat packed lunches
  • It's another day with short park hours, so I'll find a quiet corner to close my eyes for a bit while they Ride Star Tours & Tower of Terror
  • Next, we'll see Beauty and the Beast & Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Muppet Vision 3D, and One Man's Dream
  • We'll finish the day with the the three of them using their last FastPasses, and grabbing food at ABC Commissary before watching Fantasmic! at 7pm
Slight detour for a funny story...
Friend is so excited to help us by letting us use her timeshare condo! She offered it to me a few years ago, and was so happy that I finally took her up on it. She's such a sweet person! Every time I'd ask her what she'd like to do during the days she'll be with us, she just said "Oh, honey, I just want to spend time with you! It doesn't matter where!" The more she insisted she didn't have a preference, the more I wanted to do something nice for her.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago.
Based on our many conversations over the last few months, I finally figured out that her favorite ride is Rockin' Roller Coaster. Well, we'd originally planned to go to Animal Kingdom on day 3, but decided to move things around so we could hit her favorite ride while she was there. I made the change in my plans the night before I had to make ADRs, so I hadn't had a chance to tell her. We talked a few days later, and I started rattling off the list of restaurants I thought we should try. When I mentioned ABC Commissary, she started giggling uncontrollably. It went something like this:

• FRIEND: Wait, that's not at Animal Kingdom. Did you know that?
  • ME: Yeah, I know.
  • FRIEND: So we're park hopping just for lunch?
  • ME: No, I forgot to tell you that we switched to Hollywood Studios so you can....
  • FRIEND: Seriously?? Really? Oh my goodness, I'm SO EXCITED!!! Did you know that was my favorite park?? I wasn't going to say anything because - well I really want you to have a wonderful time, so I wasn't going to mention....I really get to go to Hollywood Studios?? Are you sure?? I mean, there isn't much for you to do there, but are you sure??
  • ME: [laughing] Don't worry about that! I can watch a show while you all ride...
  • FRIEND: Oh, this isn't right. This is YOUR trip! Are you sure? I have to admit, I really want to ride the roller coaster, and Tower, and....THANK YOU!
  • ME: [still laughing. DD is listening at this point and is laughing too] Look at all you're doing to help make this trip successful! Of course your opinion matters! Just hearing you this excited makes it worth it!
In all of my research, I've never seen anyone so excited about this park! It's hard to explain how exited she really was. She sounded like I did when I got an invite to Club 33! I'm so thrilled I could do a little something for a friend who is doing so much for me. At this point, I'm more excited for our DHS day than I am for the Magic Kingdom! I can't wait to see her reaction when we arrive!

Now, back to the schedule!

DAY 4: DEC 13: No-Park Day
  • Get up nice and early, and have breakfast with DD, Friend and YoungFriend. Hang out at the condo for a while.
  • Take Friend and YoungFriend to the airport.
  • Head off to visit AuntJ, UncleB, and J&B's Family!!
  • Try to peel ourselves away at a reasonable time so we can get a good night's sleep. (Not likely, but we'll try)
DAY 5: DEC 14: Animal Kingdom - HOURS: 9am - 5pm
  • Early morning breakfast in the condo, and off to AK in time to arrive before rope drop
  • Head right to Kilimanjaro Safaris (FP)
  • See Divine, Flights of Wonder, Discovery Island Trails, and Finding Nemo - The Musical before lunch
  • Have our packed lunch, and rest for a bit
  • After lunch, we'll go to the Conservation Station, the Wildlife train (if it's wheelchair accessible), watch Tam Tam Drummers and Festival of the Lion King (FP), and follow the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail. If there's time, we'll go on an afternoon Safari.
  • We will eat dinner offsite. We'll grab take-out (or get delivery) so I can spend the evening with my legs up, resting.
DAY 6: DEC 15: EPCOT - Hours: 9am - 9:30pm
  • Early morning breakfast in the condo, and off to EPCOT in time to arrive before rope drop
  • In the morning, we'll do Journey Into Imagination with Figment, Living with the Land, Circle of Life and Soarin' (FP).
  • Head back to the condo for a nap
  • When we return to the parks, we'll do Turtle Talk with Crush, The Seas Main Tank & Exhibits, and The Seas with Nemo and Friends (FP) in the afternoon.
  • Dinner at Sunshine Seasons
  • In the evening, Sum of All Thrills, Spaceship Earth, Ellen's Energy Adventure, Mission Space, Test Track (Single-Rider), and IllumiNations (FP).
** Most of these rides are ones I will not be able to do. No problem though! I'll go on the ones that I can, and rest while DD rides the others.

DAY 7: DEC 16: 2nd (and last) Day at Animal Kingdom - HOURS: 9am - 5pm
  • Early morning breakfast in the condo, and off to EPCOT in time to arrive before rope drop
  • DD will ride Expedition Everest right away using the single rider line (if there is one)
  • In the morning, we'll go to Kilimanjaro Safaris, Dino-Sue, TriceraTop Spin, Primeval Whirl, and the Wildlife Express Train
  • We'll leave the park for lunch on this day (I tend to get pretty run down by the end of the first week). We'll be gone long enough to eat and nap.
  • When we get back to the parks in the afternoon, we'll watch shows and go on rides with short lines. Then dinner off-site and an early bedtime.
DAY 8: DEC 17: No Parks - Transfering from Condo to CBR
  • We'll check out of the condo, and check into Caribbean Beach Resort by 8:30am
  • Brunch is at 1900 Park Fare
  • While we wait for the room to be ready, we'll check out the Christmas decor at various Disney hotels
  • Once the room is ready, it'll be time for another nap!
  • We'll end the night with the Spirit of Aloha dinner show
  • We're hoping to be in bed by 11
Week 2's plans will be in the next post....

Last edited:
Here are our plans for the on-site portion of our trip:

DAY 9: DEC 18: Magic Kingdom Christmas Party - HOURS: 4pm - midnight

• We start the morning with breakfast at Chef Mickey's
  • After breakfast, we'll take a little time to check out the Contemporary Resort. If there's time, we'll pick another hotel to explore
  • When lunch rolls around, we'll grab some goodies with snack credits and head back to the room to eat and then rest.
  • We'll leave for the Magic Kingdom at around 2:30, anticipating lines at the gate for the Christmas Party. We're hoping to get in right at 4 (or very soon after)
  • First ride will be Peter Pan (FP)
  • Dinner at Be Our Guest
  • After dinner, we will hit Hall of Presidents, Jingle Cruise, Pirates, and Winnie the Pooh
  • For entertainment, we hope to see A Totally Tomorrowland Christmas, Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade, Holiday Wishes, and Celebrate the Seasons.
  • IF there is any time left, we'll cruise around to check out the decor, and ride attractions with short wait times.
DAY 10: DEC 19: Epcot Birthday Celebration! - HOURS: 9am - 9:30pm
  • We plan to arrive for rope drop after a breakfast made out of snack credits
  • Before the World Showcase is open, we plan to ride Soarin' (FP) and Test Track (DD Only). If we have more time, we'll hit rides that have short waits.
  • The rest of the day we will focus on World Showcase. We want to see all of the Holidays Around the World, country-specific attractions, and art galleries. THIS is why we decided to travel to WDW! We've both been looking forward to this for a very long time.
  • Lunch will be at Tutto Italia Ristorante, and dinner is at Chefs de France
  • We plan to head back to the room early in the afternoon for a long break and nap.
DAY 11: DEC 20: Magic Kingdom - HOURS: 9:00am - 10:00pm
  • We'll sleep in a little this day, and arrive in time for our brunch at Cinderella's Royal Table. Dinner will be at The Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd.
  • Mid afternoon we'll take a break in the room.
  • I'll update here when we decide which attractions & shows we want to see on this day
DAY 12: DEC 21: DHS & EPCOT - DHS opens at 9am, and EPCOT closes at 9:30pm
  • After a breakfast of snack credits, we'll head to DHS to do anything we want to repeat, and things we didn't have time for earlier in the trip.
  • Lunch will be early afternoon at Hollywood Brown Derby
  • We'll take our full bellies back to the room for a bit of rest
  • When we wake up, we'll head to Epcot.
  • We'll do anything we want to repeat, and things we didn't have time to do earlier in the trip. I'll update with specifics when I'm further along in the planning process
  • Dinner will be at Spice Road
  • Since this is our last park day, we hope to make it until closing.
DAY 13: DEC 22: No parks - Going Home...
  • After checking out, we'll head to Cape May for a breakfast with Minnie.
  • We'll take some time to explore the Beach Club and Boardwalk before our final WDW meal at Sanaa.
  • Then it will be time to head back to the airport for our late flight home.

...and then we will drag our tired selves a few miles down the road to mom's for Christmas!

All of the trip plans were made using TouringPlans. They aren't adjusted to account for the DAS pass, so I'm not entirely sure if we'll have extra time. If we do, we'll watch shows, shop, or ride things with short lines.

A question for the WDW veterans... Are there quiet spots in the parks where I'd be out of the way?

Next up... Balancing Vacation with Health Needs

YAY! Love your trip report!

Your friend is definitely a keeper!:hug:

I am a Southern California native (now in TX) and had a lot of experience at DL, none at WDW when we first started going to DW 10 years ago. You are so right about how much more planning it takes, and I used these boards a lot back then.

I'm so glad you found them and have done your due diligence! lol

Hey, our first day of our trip is also December 10th!

It's a great time to go, you will love it--now we can keep each other company while we wait!:bounce:

Now we get to talk about
Balancing Vacation with Medical Needs
If you get queasy reading about medical stuff, feel free to skip this post. If you don't, I'd love any suggestions for making our trip a little more comfortable.

Here's where my planning gets a little jumbled. My health is VERY unpredictable, but I'm not willing to waste away without building more memories with my family. It's at about this point in the planning that things start falling apart. Going to a new vacation spot isn't as easy as it was before I got sick. That said, barring a MASSIVE medical emergency, I'm not willing to cancel again. My youngest daughter will be moving out on her own soon, so the window is closing. It's now or never. I choose now, but need to be practical. This time I'll find a way to make things work.

Here's a basic run-down of the challenges in front of me and how I hope to address them on the trip:
  • Struggles with mobility: Because of a genetic spinal disease, my ability to walk, turn, bend, etc., are seriously limited. I can walk short distances, and stand for short period, of time, but not near enough to tackle Disney. To give you a better idea, I can walk through a Trader Joe's store with my cane, but can't make it half way through Costco. This issue has an easy solution. I'll be traveling with my power wheelchair. That'll give me a bit of independence and won't put undue stress on my travel companions.
The rest of these are because of yet another genetic disease...
  • Passing out and seizures: These symptoms are new, and we aren't even close to finding a solution. I usually only have about a 10 second warning before I drop to the ground. My plan for dealing with this is 1) Keep a Medical Info doc on me at all times. I have a hard time speaking when I come to, and this document has everything someone would need to know if they found me on the ground. 2) Request a DAS so I can wait for attractions in less populated areas of the parks. That way if I drop, I'm not going to hurt anyone or stress out little ones who might see. I know I can't prevent EVERYONE from seeing it, but I can try to minimize the drama around these annoying symptoms.

• A CONSTANT need for a bathroom: I won't go into too much detail, but suffice it to say this is very important. It's hard to get from the depths of a line to a bathroom with any sort of speed. By waiting outside of the line, it will be possible for me to do more attractions.

• Prone to frequent infections: It's a crowded place at a popular time. I won't be able to avoid germs, and will likely come home sick, but avoiding the shoulder-to-shoulder situations should help delay that for a while. The doctor has also agreed to send me with medications in case I get really sick. Since I tend to get pneumonia, treating infections quickly is really important.

• ...and the biggest problem.... Chronic dehydration: Right now, I have to go to an infusion center at least twice a week for IV fluids. Today the doctor told me we may need to increase that to three times a week. While I hate to miss valuable park time, I will need to do this at least once on the trip. It could end up being up to six times. My doctor and I are working on a plan where she discusses my condition with a Florida doctor before I go so they can implement a plan for hydration where I can avoid the ER (TOO MANY GERMS)! This is one reason we'll have a rental car. That and transporting my chair quickly and easily.

There's other stuff, but I think you get the picture. The take-away is I'm not ever really in control of my body or how 'able' I'll be from day to day. Most park days will be shorter than I have planned.

Am I crazy for planning such a big trip? Probably. This is just an example of how I try to live. I acknowledge the challenges and do my best to find a way to live with them as fully as I can. It's worth being sick for a while to create another set of magical memories.

So, I have a to-do list that won't make it into the planning books. I need to figure out a concise way to explain all of this to the CM at city hall in the hopes of getting a DAS to make my visit easier. I need to be able to make quick exits, stay away from the sardine can that exists in most lines, and stay very, very aware of my hydration levels. I do this really well at Disneyland, but am a little intimidated by the sheer size of the east coast parks.

Now enough with the medical stuff for a while! Up next... Pictures, Pictures, and More Pictures!

YAY! Love your trip report!

Your friend is definitely a keeper!:hug:

I am a Southern California native (now in TX) and had a lot of experience at DL, none at WDW when we first started going to DW 10 years ago. You are so right about how much more planning it takes, and I used these boards a lot back then.

I'm so glad you found them and have done your due diligence! lol

Hey, our first day of our trip is also December 10th!

It's a great time to go, you will love it--now we can keep each other company while we wait!:bounce:

Hi, CaliTex! :banana::banana::banana:

I absolutely agree! My friend and I have one of those awesome friendships where we may not talk as often as we like, but are able to pick up where we left off no matter how long it's been. She's one amazing woman! I'm lucky to still have her in my life after so many years.

I'm so glad you're following along! You understand what I'm going through, and that will certainly help! Feel free to pipe in frequently. I love to hear opinions!

Maybe we'll run into each other in the parks! How fun!

Last edited:
Am I crazy for planning such a big trip? Probably. This is just an example of how I try to live. I acknowledge the challenges and do my best to find a way to live with them as fully as I can.

Not crazy at all. It's important to make the most out of our life with what we have been given.

It looks like you are taking all the precautions you need to ensure your safety and the enjoyment/comfort for those around you. Working with Disney is a must. I hope you've already been in contact with CM's so they can assist with issues as they come up as well.

Not crazy at all. It's important to make the most out of our life with what we have been given.

It looks like you are taking all the precautions you need to ensure your safety and the enjoyment/comfort for those around you. Working with Disney is a must. I hope you've already been in contact with CM's so they can assist with issues as they come up as well.

Yep! I may be disabled, but I'm not dead yet! My experiences will just look different than the average person. I've been getting progressively worse 20 years, so I'm used to adapting and redefining what my normal is. I think that's why my kids just roll with the changes. My youngest has never known me healthy, so this process of making things work is normal to her.

I have noted all of our allergies on the reservation, and am waiting for an email back about the counter service options that might work. I've also reserved a fully accessible room since I can almost never step over the wall of a bathtub. I'll also go to city hall for a DAS (and hopefully they will give me one). The one thing they aren't able to do that I think would really help is send me accessible maps in the mail. It would really help with planning. I'm toying with the idea of checking in at First Aid. If I pass out or have a seizure, they'd be the first to show up. I would hate for them to call an ambulance since there isn't really anything an EMT or hospital could do. I'd rather just quietly come-to and make my way out of the park. I REALLY don't want the drama of sirens and all of that attention. I've heard my daughter has become the master of catching me without attracting attention. LOL

Pictures, Pictures, and More Pictures!
I love taking pictures, but am not that great about getting in front of a camera. My weight goes up and down, up and down, and I just don't feel terribly comfortable seeing myself in pictures. I'd almost made it my whole adult life with just a handful of images until my kids put a stop to my hiding. They each told me separately that they were sad that we don't have many pictures together. By the end of each conversation, I started losing my resolve. We now have an agreement. I will take as many pictures as they like, and they promise not to share them on social media without checking with me first. We all win! I may not like seeing myself in pictures, but I'm willing to stand there and smile if it makes my kids happy.

So now we always use PhotoPass at Disney.

PhotoPass at Disneyland Resort is really simple for us. They are small parks, and the photographers tend to always be in the same places. Now that we're heading to the World, I decided to keep my promise and buy Memory Maker. WDW's photo service is considerably more expensive than the one at DLR, but I assume that means there are more opportunities to capture memories. The budget-minded part of me wants to be sure we get our money's worth. It looks like we'll be looking for those khaki vests around every turn!

My questions for you -
  • Is there a map or list that shows all of the PhotoPass locations?
  • Are there any must-do PhotoPass spots?
  • Are there any special magic shots we should request?
  • I read somewhere that they also take videos. Does anyone know where they make the videos?
I know this is a short post, but I'll be back soon. Next time: Finding Magic for My Angel Friends!

Hugs to you for what you are enduring with your health. I consider you to be among those I call "an everyday hero". I am always in awe of people that overcome such tough things and face the challenges squarely, never giving up. People admire athletes, but I tell you this: some of the strongest people I ever met were contained in frail bodies. :hug: Its one of the mysteries of life I will never understand.

I don't know a lot about Photopass, but I do know the photographers are on Main Street and by the castle. I would say the must haves are the iconic photos on Main Street, and the ones in front of the castle. I don't know about maps, but I would think some sort of list would be available?

I would surely think that obtaining a DAS would certainly be a given.

The WDW parks are very large, but I think that if you are realistic about what can be done, and it sounds as if you are, and you develop good plans and back up plans, you will be ok. Small increments, and please don't allow yourself to become over-tired. Be ready to scrap a plan in favor of rest.

It would be fun to meet!:cool1:

Hugs to you for what you are enduring with your health. I consider you to be among those I call "an everyday hero". I am always in awe of people that overcome such tough things and face the challenges squarely, never giving up. People admire athletes, but I tell you this: some of the strongest people I ever met were contained in frail bodies. :hug: Its one of the mysteries of life I will never understand.

I don't know a lot about Photopass, but I do know the photographers are on Main Street and by the castle. I would say the must haves are the iconic photos on Main Street, and the ones in front of the castle. I don't know about maps, but I would think some sort of list would be available?

I would surely think that obtaining a DAS would certainly be a given.

The WDW parks are very large, but I think that if you are realistic about what can be done, and it sounds as if you are, and you develop good plans and back up plans, you will be ok. Small increments, and please don't allow yourself to become over-tired. Be ready to scrap a plan in favor of rest.

It would be fun to meet!:cool1:

That's really sweet! Thank you for your kind words. Honestly, it's just a matter of dealing with what's in front of me. Early on I was pretty angry about the whole deal and didn't handle it very well. 20+ years later, I'm really focused on making the best of things. I have "why me??" moments, but try to pull out of that as quickly as I can. Part of that is being realistic about my abilities. Almost dying brings a whole new perspective. I'm on "bonus time", which is a chance to build more memories for my daughters the best way I know how. That said, I still have some of that type-A personality I had before I stopped working. I'm trying to channel that into planning. :thumbsup2

I am very worried about becoming over-tired. If I'm not careful, I'll land myself in ICU again. At Disneyland it's pretty easy to shift plans based on how I feel when I wake up. At Disney World, it doesn't seem quite as easy. Cancelling ADRs is something that requires 24 hour notice, and I don't always know that far ahead. I have to be willing to lose the cancellation fee if I need to stay in the room. It's a little thing, but can add up quickly over a 2 week span. There's also the fear that I will miss something. Doesn't that sound crazy from a full grown woman?? Logic tells me that plans sometimes change. Emotions are another story. I may never go to WDW again, and the idea of missing something makes me sad. No worries though - For me, logic almost always wins out. :goodvibes

When it comes to PhotoPass, I think I'm going to pour over trip reports and other posts to pull together a list of locations. We'll have a list in our handy-dandy books to be sure we don't miss very many. At $149 for the Memory Maker, I plan to get my money's worth! One more question about this service - In California, photographers are rarely out in the rain. Do they leave in the rain at WDW? I'd hate to be searching for one only to find out they are backstage waiting for the rain to stop.

I will continue looking for disabled maps online, and any first hand experience. I've found bits and pieces, and may have to wait for maps until we're actually there. I'm just hoping there are as many bathrooms there as there are at Disneyland! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Knowing where they are will certainly put my mind at ease! LOL

I think you're right - it would be a fun meet! I've met a lot of friends through my Disney obsession, and am always open to meeting more!

Well, you are welcome. They are sincerely meant. I'm sure you have your moments--you would hardly be human if you didn't, but the thing I admire is you don't stay stuck in the moment. I have sometimes wondered how I would handle something like that--since I can barely handle constructive criticism. :laughing: Just kidding. Sorta.

I'm sure I would be very brave. Or not. Based on how I behaved after sports injuries, I'm thinking I'd actually be an intolerable, world class, whining brat. :rotfl2:

I grew up in Southern California, so I'm a DL "expert". (Or at least, I was. I haven't been back in 12 years:sad:) but I can say there are as many bathrooms in the MK as in DL, plus the awesome one in Fantasyland. I know this because when my DGD was about 2 1/2, she was obsessed with bathrooms. Consequently I have been in every bathroom in every park at WDW. Also the Orlando and Austin airports. And the plane, at least twice. And resort lobbies. And restaurants... :lmao:Since I am a tiny bit germ phobic, this was an exciting time in my life. :eek: She is 6 now and an absolute delight--- but there for a while she was definitely strange. I actually think being a toddler is a form of temporary insanity. :rotfl: Contagious temporary insanity.

I really think there ought to be a way to note on the ADRs about your health challenges and not charge you if you are unable to make them. (But you do know that if any member of your party does show, they won't charge you?) Have you tried sending an email to guest services and seeing if they can help? I would think that exceptions could be made, know what I mean?

Let's hope it doesn't rain while you are there! When we go, we always go in December and the weather has been outstanding every time and (knock on wood) it will be for "our" trip. We will be there from December 10 through 18th, staying at BWV and the WL. :wave:

Well, you are welcome. They are sincerely meant. I'm sure you have your moments--you would hardly be human if you didn't, but the thing I admire is you don't stay stuck in the moment. I have sometimes wondered how I would handle something like that--since I can barely handle constructive criticism. :laughing: Just kidding. Sorta.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of getting stuck in self-pity for too long. I try not to look at the big picture too long. That's when I tend to get really down. SO, it's one thing at a time, pushing forward.

I'm sure I would be very brave. Or not. Based on how I behaved after sports injuries, I'm thinking I'd actually be an intolerable, world class, whining brat. :rotfl2:

Naw, people usually surprise themselves when faced with big challenges. I never thought I could go through the things I have, but when it came right down to it, it was my only choice. :cool:

I grew up in Southern California, so I'm a DL "expert". (Or at least, I was. I haven't been back in 12 years:sad:) but I can say there are as many bathrooms in the MK as in DL, plus the awesome one in Fantasyland. I know this because when my DGD was about 2 1/2, she was obsessed with bathrooms. Consequently I have been in every bathroom in every park at WDW. Also the Orlando and Austin airports. And the plane, at least twice. And resort lobbies. And restaurants... :lmao:Since I am a tiny bit germ phobic, this was an exciting time in my life. :eek: She is 6 now and an absolute delight--- but there for a while she was definitely strange. I actually think being a toddler is a form of temporary insanity. :rotfl: Contagious temporary insanity.

HAHA!! I can see both sides of this. I'm a total germ-phobe, but do obsess a bit about where I can find the closest bathroom. I do agree that toddlers seem to have a form of temporary insanity! It infects the whole house! They are very cute, but can have some amazingly unpredictable tantrums.

I really think there ought to be a way to note on the ADRs about your health challenges and not charge you if you are unable to make them. (But you do know that if any member of your party does show, they won't charge you?) Have you tried sending an email to guest services and seeing if they can help? I would think that exceptions could be made, know what I mean?

I'll contact guest services to see if they can help. Thanks for the suggestion! Since they don't charge as long as one person shows up, DD may be able to show up and get something to go. I wonder if that's an option.

Let's hope it doesn't rain while you are there! When we go, we always go in December and the weather has been outstanding every time and (knock on wood) it will be for "our" trip. We will be there from December 10 through 18th, staying at BWV and the WL. :wave:

That's great news! I'm really hoping for a little sun, moderate temps, and low humidity. You're going to be there for most of our trip! What's BWV?

Finding Magic for My Angel Friends

One of the most important things to me is showing gratitude. There are so many wonderful people in my life, and I try to always let them know when I appreciate who they are, what they do, and what they say. Most of the time it's a letter or card, or maybe a dinner if it's someone local. There are situations that warrant a little more.

This trip would not be possible at all without a few angels. My heart says I should send them each on an extravagant trip around the world, but my budget says "Get real! You have bills to pay!" Instead I will give them heartfelt cards, and a little something from our travels that they'd like. In all of my web research, I haven't been able to find anything for any of them yet! No problem though. I have 5 months to figure it out.

If you're reading along, and would like to help me with suggestions, I'd really appreciate it! What can I find at Disney World for them? Here's a little more info about each of them:

My Disney World Angel Friends
  • FRIEND: This lovely lady was one of my best friend through high school. She's very soft spoken, but loves loud music! Aerosmith is her favorite band. I'm sure that's why she loves Rock n Roller Coaster so much. She spends her days assisting the driver on special needs buses for the school district, and has an unwavering patience when it comes to children. In her spare time, she cuts hair for her friends and family. When we were talking one day, she asked if I'd ever been to WDW. When I said we were in the process of saving money for the trip, she offered the condo to help offset the cost. I didn't accept at first, but eventually accepted her gracious offer. She demonstrates her awesomeness by being just as excited as we are! Every time we're able to talk it's like no time has passed. There's no pretense, no drama - just genuine friendship. Many people disappear when someone gets sick. She never has, and that means the world to me.

• AuntJ & UncleB: Hands down, the most loving couple I've ever met! This year they celebrated their 47th wedding anniversary! I'm not at all surprised. From what I remember, they have always been a perfect match. We'd all lost touch a few years after they moved to Florida. About 3 years ago, AuntJ had learned about me being in a coma and reached out to my mom. When I got home a few months later, she saturated my FB page with support and love. She celebrated every success, and encouraged me to keep pushing through when times were rough. They both reminded me often that I was strong enough to get through it, even if I didn't see it at the time. I don't think they realize how much I needed that at the time. AuntJ is very crafty, and UncleB spent years as a metal worker. Some of the ornate metal work at the Magic Kingdom was done by him just a few years after the park opened! These two just gush love, and I think it's wonderful!

I want to get them something special from the parks. I also want to get something for their granddaughters. I've never met them, but feel it's a good idea to get them gifts since I'm invading their space around Christmas time!

• DOGTRAINER: I have a service dog in training who has had a few setbacks. Poor thing got hurt a few months ago, and hasn't really been able to have public access since. She's just too reactive right now - trying to protect me when there is no need. The trainer thinks she's trying to keep people from hurting me the way she was hurt (someone stepped on her back and tore ligaments and muscles). Sadly she might never be a public service dog again, but does help me tremendously at home. This awesome canine can turn me over when I fall and can't breathe, can help me get off of the floor, can get help when I need it, and so much more! A lot of this is thanks to DOGTRAINER. We considered cancelling the trip because I was worried about making things worse by boarding her. The trainer stepped in and found a solution that was well within our budget, and less likely to traumatize her. I never would have found the resource without him. I want to thank him for tirelessly working with my girl! Oh, and I forgot to mention he has the same form of autism as DD! He has a similar work ethic, and is just as blunt and straight forward as she is. :rotfl2: I love it!
  • Infusion Nurses: My IV angels! Week in and week out they not only give me gallons and gallons of fluids/electrolytes, but they also do their best to normalize it all. We joke and chat like old girlfriends. They never treat me like "just another patient". Many times they are the only non-family members I see in a week, and they go out of their way to make that as normal as possible. These ladies are often underappreciated. I'd like them to know that I SEE all that they do, and I think it's wonderful.

• Last but certainly not least is DD: She is my youngest child. Life hasn't been easy for her, but she doesn't complain about that. With high functioning autism, a history of seizures, strokes, and a number of developmental delays, anyone would understand if she just folded up and gave up. Somehow she never let that be an option. Through hard work and sheer will power, she overcame all of the physical limitations. The only hint of any fine/gross motor abnormalities is a slightly labored gait. She has the same genetic spinal condition I do, but thankfully has a much milder case. She is freakishly strong, always helping others build things, clean things, and fix things. She's also come a long way socially. Most people have no idea she's autistic....she just seems a bit unique. It used to be that she'd get upset when autism was mentioned. Now she sees it as a plus. She understands that her ability to hyper-focus helps her to get things done, and the social awkwardness just weeds out people who shouldn't be her friend. She's a fantastic artist, a college student (graduating 6/2017 with a BA), and an unbelievably hard worker. She does this all with such grace, that I'm just in awe. She teaches me how to make the best of things every single day.
So now that you know a little more about the ANGELS in my life, what are some of the unique WDW merchandise might fit the bill? Sadly, DLR has eliminated most unique offerings. I'm hoping WDW still has something beyond t-shirts and silly hats. Any suggestions?

That's all for today. Next up? I Need To Stop Taking Notes at Some Point!

I Need to Stop Taking Notes at Some Point!
There's something exciting about planning a trip to a new place! True, I've been somewhere similar, but the more I read, the more I am realizing it's a whole new world. When I first started planning this trip, I assumed it would be like an extension of Disneyland. DD and I agreed to skip all of the rides that exist on both coasts. Then I started researching on the DIS again. I was on planning boards, trip report boards, and DISability boards. All of a sudden I realized that even known attractions are going to be different. How could I deprive our little group of the new Soarin'? or the expanded queue at Toy Story Midway Mania? or the plussed Dumbo? The only way I can truly plan is to treat it like a completely different vacation. Once I decided THAT, I started having fun discovering the little nuances of WDW.

There is a difference between planning and obsessiveness. Have I crossed the line? I'll let you be the judge. I do know I need to stop that research at some point! We are going to be there for 13 days, not a month. There's no way I can do everything on the 15 (yes I said 15) pages of notes! Why, oh why do I keep adding to that list??

I think it's just so fun to dream! We haven't even gone, and I'm already breaking the list up into the "2016 trip" and "future trips"! I have no idea if I'll be able to go again, but there's something incredibly life affirming about planning for the POSSIBILITY! No harm in that, right?

Speaking of planning, I have a surprise! Ready?? By some miracle, I came into a little more trip money! YAY! I'd like to do something unique and special, but it seems all of the extras are booked. Any ideas?

That's it for now. Up next: Cancelled Flight??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter