Thinking of renting a car from L&M Jan 2005

Jolimont

Earning My Ears
We're going in late January, staying at Port Orleans. The car rental rates are so low it's barely more than taxi or towncar, so I think we'll do that because I like the freedomm that comes with a car. Our flight arrives into Orlando late on a Monday night (11 pm or something) by the time we get our luggage it may be midnight or later. This will be our fist time at Disney World! I have a few questions for the pros, pretty please. :flower2:

• Does Port Orleans charge for parking?
  • Will we have to pay for parking if we use our car to go to the parks rather than use Disney transportation?
  • Is the way between the airport and the Disney resorts clearly marked? (I drive at night all the time and I rent cars in new places all the time, but at night?)
  • Is the L & M counter open that late? If not, how do we get our car?
  • Our daughter has juvenile arthritis so she can't walk or stand a lot. We're going to ask for a Guest Assistance Card and will take her around in a stroller. Do they hand out handicap parking permits to guest in her situation?

Many thanks, we can't wait to go! :Pinkbounc

I can answer a couple of your questions. L & M is open 24 hours, so you'll just do your paperwork at the counter and then pick up the car in the garage across the street, no matter what time you get in. I had read bad things about L & M, but we used them a few weeks ago and they were great! Brand new car with less than 10 miles on it. We are using them again next weekend.
There are lots of signs to WDW. I suggest following the signs to the South Exit of the airport and then taking 417. it's pricey but very fast and direct. Once you are on WDW property, there are plenty of signs to the hotels etc. And remember, in FL U turns are legal almost anywhere, so even if you blow past where you're going, just turn around and go back.
Barb

Jolimont said:
Does Port Orleans charge for parking?

nope!

Jolimont said:
Will we have to pay for parking if we use our car to go to the parks rather than use Disney transportation?

nope! they give you a parking permit when you check in, stick it in your windshield for free parking at all parks :)

Jolimont said:
Is the way between the airport and the Disney resorts clearly marked? (I drive at night all the time and I rent cars in new places all the time, but at night?)

yes, i agree 417 is the way to go. bring toll $$

Jolimont said:
Our daughter has juvenile arthritis so she can't walk or stand a lot. We're going to ask for a Guest Assistance Card and will take her around in a stroller. Do they hand out handicap parking permits to guest in her situation?

i'm pretty sure the answer to this is yes, but i would check over on the DISabilities board, they will know for sure.

PO does not charge for parking.

You get a parking pass for your resort that allows you to park free at the parks as well.

L&M is open 24 hrs, they are located 1 level below baggage claim at the airport. Cars are right across the street in the parking garage.

As at PO about the handicapped parking pass. See what they suggest and what the policy is.

Finally, driving directions are below..... HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP!

This is copied from: http://allearsnet.com/pl/directions.php

Directions from Orlando International Airport (MCO) to Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter and Port Orleans Riverside Resorts:

Follow the signs for the South Exit from the airport to pick up SR417 South (also called the Central Florida GreeneWay) towards Disney World. Once on SR417, you'll have 2 toll plazas for $1 each. After the 2nd toll, take exit 6 (SR 536/International Drive). Go straight through two sets of traffic lights (first intersection will be International Drive; second will be SR535) which will put you on SR536. Continue straight on this road and go straight through the next set of lights. You will pass the Marriott Orlando World Center on the right and the Holiday Inn Family Suites on the left, then I-4.

Just after I-4, you'll pass under the WDW welcome arch and the road becomes Epcot Center Drive. Take the 3rd exit after the arch. The sign will say Port Orleans/Old Key West. Go left at the set of lights at the end of the exit ramp. This is Bonnet Creek Parkway. Stay in the right hand lane and continue straight through the next traffic light. The entrance to Port Orleans French Quarter will be the first resort on your right after the traffic light. Port Orleans Riverside will be a little further down also on the right.

If you need a grocery stop before arriving at Port Orleans French Quarter and Port Orleans Riverside Resorts you have several options.

Option 1: Follow the above directions for leaving the airport and picking up SR417. Get off at exit 11 (South Orange Blossom Trail). NOTE: There is a 50-cent tollbooth at this exit that only accepts exact change so be prepared. Turn left at the bottom of the exit ramp. There is an Albertson's (open until 1:00 am) about 1/10 of a mile up and a Winn Dixie (open until midnight) about 4/10 of a mile up. If you turn right at the bottom of the exit ramp, there is a SuperTarget (open until 9:00pm Sundays and 11:00 pm every other day) a short ways down.
When finished shopping, get back on SR417 South and continue using the directions above.

Option 2: Follow the above directions for leaving the airport and picking up SR417. Get off at exit 6 (International Drive). Turn right at first set of lights onto International Drive. About 3-4 miles on the left you will see the Premium Outlet Mall. Take a left at the lights at the entrance. Publix is right there on the right. When done shopping, go back out to International Drive and take a right. Follow it to the end and turn right which will put you on 536. Continue with the directions above.

Have quarters ready...in addition to the two $1.00 tolls, we get off at one of the exits that requires a 50 cent toll.
Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolimont

Our daughter has juvenile arthritis so she can't walk or stand a lot. We're going to ask for a Guest Assistance Card and will take her around in a stroller. Do they hand out handicap parking permits to guest in her situation?
crazywig said:
i'm pretty sure the answer to this is yes, but i would check over on the DISabilities board, they will know for sure.
The answer to this is no, they don't.
In order to park legally in any handicapped parking spots you need a valid handicapped parking permit issued to that person in their home state.
A long time ago (like maybe 15 years ago), WDW did issue their own handicapped parking permits which could be used only on Disney property. When the ADA came into effect and standardized handicapped parking permits issued by the states, they stopped doing that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter