Thinking of relocating from Long Island to Charlotte, NC

pjtjm

Mouseketeer
Hi All,

I was hoping that there may be some of you out there that would care to share any experiences with relocating in general, living in/near Charlotte, or moving from NY down south.

My company is moving to Davidson, and I've been poking around on real estate websites at houses in Cornelius and Huntersville. I am open to other ideas, or any feedback you have about these or other nearby areas. The housing appears so inexpensive compared to where I live now - is there something I should know about these areas? How are the schools?

Some houses are even right near the lake, but the prices seem too good to be true. I know you guys will give it to me straight. (If you'd prefer to PM me, I'd understand and appreciate it.)

TIA!

Cornelius and Huntersville are lovely. Go for it! We moved here from Islip almost 10 years ago and you couldn't pay me to move back. We're a bit north of Davidson, but you really can't go wrong near Lake Norman/HUntersville/Davidson/Cornelius.

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system (includes Davidson and Huntersville) has approximately 138,000 students in more than 150 schools. The population is very diverse, both socioeconomically and racially. Not surprisingly, some schools are excellent and others have urban school problems.

Some of the houses on the lake are in Iredell County not Mecklenburg, and those schools are probably a bit more predictable. Also, Mooresville has its own separate city district, which is supposed to be excellent.

If you can afford it (and it sounds like you can), I'd live IN Davidson in a heartbeat. I don't know how old your children are, but Davidson Elementary is generally considered one of the best schools in the state.

I live one county away, in Cabarrus County. Our schools are good to very good, depending on where you live within the county.

I don't know many New Yorkers who have moved back!

Hi! :goodvibes

NC is a great place to live! I've been here my entire life. I totally agree with PP's about location. I'm a Realtor here, so if you wanna chat, just PM me. I'm not in Charlotte, I'm in Greensboro, but we can get you all fixed up!

Moved to Charlotte in November, live in Ballantyne area (South Charlotte), overall it's a beautiful city, crime to me isn't that bad, but as they say in the South there are some "rough areas".

The big thing you'll see is a savings in your property taxes for your homes down here, but you do also pay annual property taxes on your cars, so that is also a small shift. For reference my 2012 Infiniti G37's first year taxes in Mecklenburg County are $466.

A lot of people don't particularly care for Mecklenburg County schools and prefer those in Union or Cabarrus county.

You really need to look into the schools and buy a house based on that if you have kids. My cousin lives in Charlotte and they are in an area with good schools. I have a friend, on the other hand, who has had nothing but problems. She didn't research the schools, but instead got a house close to her job.

I wouldn't want to live in Charlotte; it is just too big a city for me. But coming from NYC, it will probably feel small to you;)

Cornelius and Huntersville are lovely. Go for it! We moved here from Islip almost 10 years ago and you couldn't pay me to move back. We're a bit north of Davidson, but you really can't go wrong near Lake Norman/HUntersville/Davidson/Cornelius.

Jennasis,

We may have already had this conversation....but you lived in Islip???? I grew up in Islip! Smith Ave, south of Main St....in Islip village.

Linda

Jennasis,

We may have already had this conversation....but you lived in Islip???? I grew up in Islip! Smith Ave, south of Main St....in Islip village.

Linda

Heck yeah! Pine St. I could see the lights on Sunrise Highway from the upstairs bedroom. We were about 3 houses in from Route 111. My horse lived on a farm on Connetquot Ave.

DH and I loved going to the theater on Main Street and sitting up in the balcony and the Oconee Diner.

Heck yeah! Pine St. I could see the lights on Sunrise Highway from the upstairs bedroom. We were about 3 houses in from Route 111. My horse lived on a farm on Connetquot Ave.

DH and I loved going to the theater on Main Street and sitting up in the balcony and the Oconee Diner.

Ooohh...you are speaking my language!!! Loved the old movie theater as well as the Oconee diner!

It IS a small world after all!!

Linda

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, I know I need to look into schools, but I'm not quite sure how to do that. Also, I want to be careful not to overbuy just because the housing dollar seems to go so much further.

We live in a pretty small house on a small (50x100) lot right now, so almost everything would be an upgrade for me. Long Island housing (and taxes) are so expensive - I guess I'm just used to it and never thought I'd leave. I couldn't believe the difference when I looked online - it would be a big opportunity to get something a bit nicer. I really don't need the biggest and fanciest, but yes, schools are very important, and of course crime rates and commuting distance is a big factor. My kids just finished 10th, 7th, and 5th grade. I will not be moving until next summer if I do go.

Bunkkinsmom - thank you for your offer to help - just wanted to make sure I let you know up front that my company has hired a "relo" firm, and I need to do my official transactions with them, or I will forfeit the relo benefits. (I'm going to send you a PM with some specific questions, if that's okay.)

So many things to consider! I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all!

Oh - My DH and I had our wedding reception at the Irish Coffee Pub in East Islip - it's true when they say - "it's a small, small world"!

And MY cousin is one of the managers at the Irish Coffee Pub...and has been for years. In fact she may have had something to do with your wedding reception! LOLOL

Linda

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, I know I need to look into schools, but I'm not quite sure how to do that. Also, I want to be careful not to overbuy just because the housing dollar seems to go so much further.

We live in a pretty small house on a small (50x100) lot right now, so almost everything would be an upgrade for me. Long Island housing (and taxes) are so expensive - I guess I'm just used to it and never thought I'd leave. I couldn't believe the difference when I looked online - it would be a big opportunity to get something a bit nicer. I really don't need the biggest and fanciest, but yes, schools are very important, and of course crime rates and commuting distance is a big factor. My kids just finished 10th, 7th, and 5th grade. I will not be moving until next summer if I do go.

Bunkkinsmom - thank you for your offer to help - just wanted to make sure I let you know up front that my company has hired a "relo" firm, and I need to do my official transactions with them, or I will forfeit the relo benefits. (I'm going to send you a PM with some specific questions, if that's okay.)

Oh - My DH and I had our wedding reception at the Irish Coffee Pub in East Islip - it's true when they say - "it's a small, small world"!

Go your message, PJ! I sent some helpful hints your way, anything I can do to help!

Hi all,

To check out schools use greatschools.org it's a good tool to get info in unfamiliar areas. Good luck with the move. I'm sure you'll find plenty of transplants down there.

A friend of ours grew up in Garden City, and moved to North Carolina about 15 years ago. He's in Apex, I think it's a suburb in the Raleigh-Durham area.

I'm pretty sure their son attends private school.

You can check the schools at www.greatschools.com

We hate to see you go!!

In the South, one can buy more house for their money and pay less in property taxes, but that gain is often offset by private school tuition. Private schools are quite common down here. Charlotte Country Day and Charlotte Latin are two of Charlotte's best.

Also, the state just raised the cap on the number of Charter Schools allowed. My kids go to a charter school and I love it! I think Charlotte only had one, but there could be several lined up to open in 2013-2014 school year. If they applied for the state's "Fast Track" they could be opening in the 2012-2013 school year. If you decide to apply to and get into one of those, it won't matter what neighborhood you are in, as most charter schools don't do buses, you would have to drive them in and pick them up.

I am late joining this thread, but I wanted to jump in, say hello, and offer to help. I am in Union County, just south of Charlotte. I agree that the Ballantyne area is a nicer area of Charlotte. If you are going to stay in Charlotte Mecklenburg County schools, I would be looking at the Ardrey Kell area; schools there are good. Also I know that Myers Park high school has a good reputation. If you can go outside that area, I would look at Union County.....Wesley Chapel, Weddington, Marvin, Waxhaw.

I don't think you need to look outside the public school system; just get info on the best areas. I have heard great things about the Ballantyne(sp?) area as well. I'd be careful of new charter schools, as many fold in the first 1-2 years.

Both Ballentyne and Union County are a long way from Davidson. Those would not be logical places to live if you're working in Davidson.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter