Thinking of purchasing the picture package?

Navywife51904

Earning My Ears
has anyone done this? For just digital it's just under $200 for my 4 day cruise. Do they take enough pictures to rationalize spending this money?

Well, it's not a matter of them taking enough pictures, but of you taking the time to have the photos taken. On our 4night cruises photographers have come by 2 or 3 of the 4 dinnertimes; not sure why they don't come by all the days, but that's been our experience. There was a photographer with Jack Sparrow on Castaway. Other than that, you seek them out or get lucky enough to be where they are. There are lineups for photos; apart from one night on our honeymoon (not on Disney) and twice while getting off the ship at a port, we have never had an interest in lining up to take a picture in front of a backdrop.

So you have to make the time, you have to make it a priority, to get your money's worth.

I agree...
  • are you going to be happy with your iPhoney pics? Does phone work well in low light? Otherwise, stalk the photographers and then decide if you want the pictures afterwards at Shutters
  • are you going to participate in the character pictures throughout each day? Look at the Navigator and app to see where the photographers will be ready for your pictures. The lines may be long, but it means what other cruisers think of the photographers.. Yes they are worth it.
  • don't forget that bonus cruise terminal character picture in the lounge. Start your collection early.
  • are you going to look nice on formal night? Don't stop at just one photographer.... they are scattered around the atrium... look for them on each of the decks. Make it a challenge to see which photographer can do a better job.
  • don't just dress up on formal night.... I seen some cruisers show up in different Cosplay outfits to compete with the characters on my cruise

We're not big "professionally-posed photo" people, I guess. We find that the iPhone pics work just fine for our family of five.

A few cruises, we did buy photos. We did not seek out photographers; we just took them as they came to us. Both cruises, we didn't spend more than $100 for all the (physical paper) photos we wanted. They sit on our mantle and they're nice, but they're not the photos that we constantly look at and make us smile. Those photos are on the iPhone.

I say yes, do it. I will always say yes as I'm a huge picture person. I swear that my middle name is Kodak.

Seek them out and let them take your pictures because Shutters photographers are everywhere....
Pictures are memories for your lifetime and for each generation of yours thereafter. :)

We did the package and thought it was very worth the money. We waited in lines and took pictures with the characters through out the cruise and we dressed up on formal night and went to all the different backdrop stations.
If you pre-order and buy the package before your cruise you can get a $50 discount online.
Good luck!

Yes, we do get the photo package and feel it is worth it. We don't drink or do excursions, instead I prefer to get the pictures. On the Panama Canal cruise we had so many pictures, I am pretty sure that they lost money on us! If you enjoy looking back on your photos or scrapbooking, it is definitely worth the money. Enjoy your cruise!:flower:

I guess, if you are on the fence, purchase it now (at a discount generally before the cruise) and then if you don't take enough pictures, cancel the night before. FYI, without a photo package (or even with one, I cannot remember) the 8x10's run 20 bucks a pop. They cannot change the size of the pictures taken so if the ones you love are all 8x10's, you would not be able to get them in the 5x7 size.

We are doing the whole package for our 14 night cruise, and now have new formals, costumes, and pirate night outfits, we will be seeking out all the photo opportunities we can!

The lack of photo packages is one reason I avoid Princess. On a two day reposition, I spent double than what I could have paid with a photo package. I am so weak.

They sit on our mantle and they're nice

Whereas the $90 worth of pictures I bought on our first DCL cruise sit *in the cardboard sleeve* along with the character meal photo prints that used to come with photopass+, on my desk.

I *love* photos. I do NOT love tons of photos of people. I like pictures of what we, the people, were looking at.

Pictures are memories for your lifetime and for each generation of yours thereafter. :)

It's a bet on the next generations. With pictures, I'm the end of the family. My stepdad wanted nothing when my mom died. My dad has few pictures (and has continued to refuse to convert/copy the videos he has so I can have a copy). My brother wanted nothing. My son doesn't seem to care that much about pictures. I'm it. And I have grandma's and mom's pictures...when I'm gone, they go nowhere. So...don't count on any future generation caring. Especially if they don't know who those people are, which is an EXHAUSTING job to do, to mark every picture with who and when and all that (and that's digitally or on a print). I now have a stack of "I have no idea who these people are" pictures from my mom's photos. And I have no idea what to do with them.

On our last cruise we pre-ordered the all access CD and ended up taking nearly 1000 photos. We felt bad about them printing out all those photos and ended up paying the extra $100 for the prints. We got to know the photographers really well and by the end of the cruise we were taking photos with them too. It was some of the most fun I've had with the crew!

I was just talking with my daughter about unfortunate (IMHO) it is that today's "standard" for photos are quick snapshots on a phone to be uploaded for the world to see. I was talking about "in my day", the anticipation of picking up the developed photos after a vacation or special event to see and relive the memories. I guess that dates me. I take tons of photos with my phone, a point and shoot, a DSLR and when we cruise I do get the CD and printed prints. Somehow I think my enthusiasm for the photos, the memories etc. has transferred to them. My DDs are teens and they have the cruise photos, and others I've printed, all over their rooms. My oldest is in college and how fun and maybe nice it is for her when friends see those pics and ask about their vacation etc., a bit of an ice breaker. That's not everyone's style but it's working for us and for now I'm happy about that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter