Thinking of going in August - Heat too much?

k8ln711

Earning My Ears
Hello! We're thinking of going to Universal for a day in early August (IoA/WWoHP mainly) before our cruise. Was wondering if anyone who has been in August can chime in here.
Now, don't get me wrong, I understand it will be hot! But will the heat be unbearable? We've only been in the "cooler" months to Universal, and WDW in late May. How does Universal manage the heat? Are there misting stations, lots of shade, etc?

Thanks in advance! :goodvibes

There are misting stations, a/c in shops, a few water rides and even water play areas if you're so inclined. It's definitely hot and humid, but we don't let that stop us.

We went last August..Very hot and humid ( like we began to sweat profusely just leaving the resort).That said, there were plenty of areas in the park to cool off.But by noon our family was DONE and ready to go back and swim.We would definitely do it again though

There are misting stations, a/c in shops, a few water rides and even water play areas if you're so inclined. It's definitely hot and humid, but we don't let that stop us.

x2...just plan on a few things to beat the heat. ;)

We've gone in August a few times. The trick is to stay onsite, hit the parks in the morning, go back to the resort for lunch and pool time in the afternoon and then head back to the parks later in the day.

There are lots of water rides to cool you down.

Late May is pretty hot too! We have to go in August due to my husbands work, and yes, it's uncomfortable, but we still have a good time. Pool break for sure in the afternoon. My biggest complaint is that it's still hot at night, and of course thunderstorms as well.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Wasn't thinking of returning during mid day for lunch/pool time, but since we'll be staying right at Royal Pacific and it's pretty easy, that's a great idea! Might even be able to convince my kiddos to take naps so they can stay out later ;)

Thanks again! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

We went for 4 days mid-August last year, and I was REALLY worried about the heat. We planned on mid-day pool breaks but ended up spending every day open-close in the parks. I suffered from a heat stroke at Animal Kingdom once, and it was such a horrendous experience that I've been afraid of being out in the sun all day ever since. But there are SO many breaks from the heat/sun - lots of indoor attractions, restaurants you can duck into for some ice water and respite from the heat, and as was said, misting stations throughout the parks. We were hot, yes - but it wasn't unbearable. Walking back to the resort mid-day for a pool break seemed MORE unbearable, to be honest, so we just stayed in the parks and spent lots of time riding things like Mummy and Spiderman which were nice and dark and COOL!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Wasn't thinking of returning during mid day for lunch/pool time, but since we'll be staying right at Royal Pacific and it's pretty easy, that's a great idea! Might even be able to convince my kiddos to take naps so they can stay out later ;)

Thanks again! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

It's a great idea to walk back to the hotel middle of the day.......it's a lovely walk with plenty of shade, so it's pleasant. We very rarely stay a full day in the parks as we stay for so long and always walk back to the RPR.

And yep if you can get the littlies to have a nap that's always a bonus.

You'll be fine........plenty of water, pop in shops, shows or rides and you're good to go.

We loved August and would happily go again that month :thumbsup2

For the past five years, we have visited Florida (four times for theme parks) in late August. While yes its very hot, if you drink water and take it slow, its fine. Make sure you stay hydrated. There is so much air conditioning at Disney, that sometimes walking back out into the heat felt good (for a few minutes anyway)! I thought that Universal had pretty decent AC and shade as well but that line to Forbidden Journey was HOT! Like someone else said, its the thunderstorms that stink. The humidity is so high you don't really dry off, which is why even though its hot, I still dislike the water rides. Have fun!

Oh, that made me remember something - the ONE day we decided to walk to the hotel for a pool break, it began POURING as soon as we got back to Royal Pacific. So we took a nap, instead! Then walked back as soon as the rain stopped. It felt like a sauna outside for a few hours after the rainstorm - it was gross!

Oh, that made me remember something - the ONE day we decided to walk to the hotel for a pool break, it began POURING as soon as we got back to Royal Pacific. So we took a nap, instead! Then walked back as soon as the rain stopped. It felt like a sauna outside for a few hours after the rainstorm - it was gross!

For the past five years, we have visited Florida (four times for theme parks) in late August. While yes its very hot, if you drink water and take it slow, its fine. Make sure you stay hydrated. There is so much air conditioning at Disney, that sometimes walking back out into the heat felt good (for a few minutes anyway)! I thought that Universal had pretty decent AC and shade as well but that line to Forbidden Journey was HOT! Like someone else said, its the thunderstorms that stink. The humidity is so high you don't really dry off, which is why even though its hot, I still dislike the water rides. Have fun!

It's a great idea to walk back to the hotel middle of the day.......it's a lovely walk with plenty of shade, so it's pleasant. We very rarely stay a full day in the parks as we stay for so long and always walk back to the RPR.

And yep if you can get the littlies to have a nap that's always a bonus.

You'll be fine........plenty of water, pop in shops, shows or rides and you're good to go.

We loved August and would happily go again that month :thumbsup2

We went for 4 days mid-August last year, and I was REALLY worried about the heat. We planned on mid-day pool breaks but ended up spending every day open-close in the parks. I suffered from a heat stroke at Animal Kingdom once, and it was such a horrendous experience that I've been afraid of being out in the sun all day ever since. But there are SO many breaks from the heat/sun - lots of indoor attractions, restaurants you can duck into for some ice water and respite from the heat, and as was said, misting stations throughout the parks. We were hot, yes - but it wasn't unbearable. Walking back to the resort mid-day for a pool break seemed MORE unbearable, to be honest, so we just stayed in the parks and spent lots of time riding things like Mummy and Spiderman which were nice and dark and COOL!

Really appreciate all the feedback! I feel relieved knowing that many people have gone in August and still really enjoyed it despite the heat and saunas...err...I mean thunderstorms. ;) Thanks guys!

Super hot! For some reason it feels hotter at Universal than Disney. Only thing we can think of is- more black concrete pulling sun in?? Universal is fun but very hot in August. By mid afternoon we were ready to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter