Thinking of cancelling trip

cindirella&herprince

Earning My Ears
So, I see that FD is being offered to Visa holders. Unfortunately, it does not apply to stays at Fort Wilderness campsites. Why? Not really sure. When reservations was called and asked all she could say was, "That's just how it is.":confused3
Now, we had planned this trip in Septmeber regardless of whether or not FD was going to be offered. But I think its really unfair of Disney to single out those of us staying at campsites. We are paying the same to stay there as if we were staying at POP and we paid the same for our park tickets. The only difference is that while all other resort guests are enjoying free food we will be paying for ours. We were even willing to pay for the upgrade to the regular DP instead of just QS.
Oh well, maybe we will just cancel our trip and go to Universal to see Harry Potter instead.
:sad1:

Hopefully you'll still be able to go! With a quick bit of Google searching about this topic I see that it appears campsites have historically never been included in free dining, so at least this is not a NEW policy. (I had always heard that campsites weren't included in FD but did the Google search just now to verify.)

Maybe you can switch to a different resort to take advantage of the promotion. If not, I hope it all works out for you regardless of your decisions!

:sunny:

Well, I think it may have something to do with the capacity of the campsites. I think I read somewhere you were allowed 10 people per campsite (I could be wrong here-campers-please correct me!), and at value rooms you are only allowed 4. I don't think it would be fair for Disney to have to give FD to all 10 people, but I think they could say FD for 4 people maximum? :confused3

I'm confused. You were going anyway, right? I wouldn't cancel just because your mad, that's silly and will only hurt you. It's your vacation. If you want to go to Disney and you weren't counting of FD then you should go. If you want to go to Universal then you should go. I get the FD frustration, I really do, I'm DVC and can't get it either but it's not going to keep me away. I'm going in September and will have to pay for my food. If I want FD I could get a cash reservation at the right resort just like you can and everyone else.

So, I see that FD is being offered to Visa holders. Unfortunately, it does not apply to stays at Fort Wilderness campsites. Why? Not really sure. When reservations was called and asked all she could say was, "That's just how it is.":confused3
Now, we had planned this trip in Septmeber regardless of whether or not FD was going to be offered. But I think its really unfair of Disney to single out those of us staying at campsites. We are paying the same to stay there as if we were staying at POP and we paid the same for our park tickets. The only difference is that while all other resort guests are enjoying free food we will be paying for ours. We were even willing to pay for the upgrade to the regular DP instead of just QS.
Oh well, maybe we will just cancel our trip and go to Universal to see Harry Potter instead.

If this is true, why cancel? FD has never been offered to campers. Like the above PP said, campsites can hold many more campers than a room, and you can't just get if for a portion of the guests, because the rule is that everyone on the reservation must participate. This is nothing new, why get mad at Disney?:confused:

Move to POP and get the FD.

Really, you aren't paying the same. A week at a premium campsite at FtW is still less than a week in a standard room at POP. Free dining fills more rooms in the values. With the tiered system this year, I'd expect to see the Moderates busier than usual during free dining. If FtW is able to stay mostly booked without offering the free dining then there is no reason they should extend the savings to the campground.

It's a trade-off - Free Dining or the Fort. If you're going for the food, cancel and book POP. If you're going for the vacation, enjoy the Fort!

Weren't the campsites included in Free Dining the first year it was offered, and guest abuse caused it to be excluded in subsequent years?

Seem to recall many many posts on the boards that initial year from people who were booking off site rooms that they actually stayed in AND getting a campsite for free dining, complete with a couple phantom guests to get extra dining credits for no money. There were a lot of reports that first year of empty campsites, which irritated those who really wanted to camp but couldn't get a site.

Disney got wise to the abuse and the next year tightened up the rules by requiring all guests to be present at check-in for free dining, and excluding the campsites.

Sorry everybody. I just wanted to rant a little. I didn't think everybody was going to jump down my throat. It's kind of the principal of the thing. I just want to enjoy my trip and enjoy the same amenities as everybody else. Unfortunately, because of our budget we have to limit ourselves to a lot of QS. And we were looking forward to possibly being able to upgrade to the regular DP so we could try some table service that we've never been to. I didn't realize my post was going to upset some people. I'm probably not going to cancel. I was just really aggravated when I got off the phone with reservations this morning. I was just looking for a little support.

I understand just wanting to vent sometimes. But just curious you said you can't get it because of your budget- but you said the values are the same price. Can't you just switch then and get the FD? Or are they all full?

Enjoy your trip either way, I am sure you will have a great time- just don't let it eat you up inside. As a total cheapo myself I know how knowing someone else got a better deal can do that sometimes, haha.

Sorry everybody. I just wanted to rant a little. I didn't think everybody was going to jump down my throat. It's kind of the principal of the thing. I just want to enjoy my trip and enjoy the same amenities as everybody else. Unfortunately, because of our budget we have to limit ourselves to a lot of QS. And we were looking forward to possibly being able to upgrade to the regular DP so we could try some table service that we've never been to. I didn't realize my post was going to upset some people. I'm probably not going to cancel. I was just really aggravated when I got off the phone with reservations this morning. I was just looking for a little support.

I don't think anyone was jumping down your throat. You asked why FD wasn't offered at the Fort and they told you. A camp site holds ten people a Pop room holds four. That's a LOT of free food and yes people would take advantage of it.

People will book camp sites at the Fort just to be able to BUY the dining plan and get EMH while really staying offsite at a condo. Happens a lot (they used to complain on the Fort board about it all the time). Can you imagine what would happen if you could get free food for ten people?

Also the Fort has a very loyal following and doesn't need the same promos to stay full as the values do. I hear about people just going to the Fort and not doing the parks at all. I've never heard of anyone staying a week at Pop just for the pleasure of being there.:rotfl:

I can't get FD without buying tickets and I'm a AP holder. That's not fair, I don't need tickets. Hey, I'm a Fl resident I should get a Fl resident discount on my room and FD too! Uh,no. I've never got FD and never will. Too bad for me. BTW are you tent camping in September? Because as a Fl resident I can tell you that's not a good time of the year to be without air conditioning.:eek: Just sayin'.:rolleyes1 Have a great trip whatever you do.

It is annoying, but unfortunately it is the way it is.
We love camping at F.W. and have bought the dining plan before . It was soo nice not to have to cook.
With the changes made to dining plan now, I don't think we will pay the extra for it if we are camping again.

If you say you are paying the same price as a value, then why not switch to a value?

Plenty of people won't be able to get free dining for the exact accomodations they want so they either pass it up or make a switch whether it's the resort or the room category. It's a decision everyone needs to make based on what's best for their group.

I do have to say noone jumped down your throat. It's a discussion board and different thoughts are being shared.

What type of campsite? A partial hookup is $44, a full hookup $59. A room at POP is $82 to $97. All other resort guests will not be enjoying free food. DVC members on points don't get it either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter