Thinking of adding to our family....a 2nd doggy that is!

SarahKate

DIS Veteran
We have a 4 yo Shih Tzu who is a pure joy. My family has made comments off and on about getting another dog and I am finally getting more open to it. We both work during the day and I think our little guy would enjoy having a friend. Obviously I know that our expenses will basically double. But we aren't totally sure what breed. Needs to be a low shed type of dog. Would love to hear your experiences and suggestions. Might get another Shih Tzu but totally open to others! Want a smaller breed, no more than 20 lbs or so. Here are some of the ones we have looked at so far: affenpinscher, Lhasa apso, Havanese, and there are a few other terrier type dogs.

I've not had them personally but I've always heard good things about schipperkes and papillions. They aren't low shed but supposedly aren't totally furballs, get along well with other dogs and have a good attitude (no napeleon complex lol) But if you decide to go with a specific breed, please look into rescue's dedicated to those breeds. Otherwise I've seen lots of little dogs at rescues and the spca, so just go and see who appeals to you. They typically let you take your family and any family dogs to see how everyone reacts to each other.

Thanks for your feedback. We do need to have a low shed dog due to my DH's allergies, not to mention that we'd just rather not have to deal with the shedding. It's been so nice the last 4 yrs with our Shih Tzu because he doesn't shed. We are definitely open to the idea of adopting a dog, as I would not mind skipping the puppy stuff/potty training! :) It is just a matter of a shelter having the kind of dog we're looking for.

Thanks for your feedback. We do need to have a low shed dog due to my DH's allergies, not to mention that we'd just rather not have to deal with the shedding. It's been so nice the last 4 yrs with our Shih Tzu because he doesn't shed. We are definitely open to the idea of adopting a dog, as I would not mind skipping the puppy stuff/potty training! :) It is just a matter of a shelter having the kind of dog we're looking for.

I am the proud owner of the perfect dog - short hair, came completely housebroken and crate trained, friendly, great off of the leash (completely voiced command trained). She weighs about 25 pounds. The most she chews is a tissue or two each day, stolen from a garbage can.

She was rescued from a shelter, and was in a foster home, so the foster mom told me how great she was. When I agreed to a dog, I told the kids we would wait for the perfect dog. I'm so glad we waited! Rescue dogs seem to be so grateful.

We have neighbors that have a Havanese and she is an absolute delight. Energetic, playful....smart as a whip. (She knows when my son's school bus goes by, and cries until they come outside to see him!)

If you didn't need a low shed dog, I would recommend what my old dog was, a cavalier king charles spaniel. Great family dog! But murder on the shedding, so probably not a good idea for you.

Havanese are supposed to be one of the few hypo-allergenic dogs, too...and they're cute as all get out.

Can't speak to breeds, but we have two chihuahuas. Our first we purchased about a year after we got married and our second after our first child was born about 3 years later. I guess my advice is to take into consideration that not all dogs are alike. While our older dog was not very vocal and would really only bark if she knew someone was coming up to the house or something like that, our younger dog has always been more of a yapper. Our older dog wouldn't even bark if she needed food or water, she'd just kind of scratch at her bowl. Our other dog barks incessantly until you finally feed him. :) In terms of getting along, I think they have been 'ok'. Our younger dog has always been the more playful/aggressive one and sometimes gets under her skin. Our older dog is also a food monger and will go after the other dog's food if she has the chance - which leads to some quarrels. At the same time our younger dog is much more of a people person (and attention hog), while our older dog has always preferred hanging out on her own for the most part.

Just something to keep in mind before you pull the trigger. It would work out great, could be ok, or could become an issue.

Zack was our pound puppy 4/11 *pretty cocker spaniel - looks just like Lady :)
Crow joined our home *he's been passed around to several of my ex's family members* he's a darling mini schnauzer, they are buddies. We too are gone all day and I like that they have each other.

I miss Sophie, my sweet Shih Tzu

I suggest not getting a puppy, adopt an older dog.

Just something to consider- We had one dog and he never barked (well occasionally when a cat came through the yard). Then we got a second dog and she gets the first one all riled up a LOT and they bark together. Drives me nuts. I do still love them both, but they can be a tag team of trouble sometimes.

FYI there are rescue groups that cater to specific breeds or small dogs/big dogs. That is how we got our #2.

We have had two Boston terriers and they are my favorite small breed dog :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter