Thinking of a Solo Trip in March and not to sure of it

Shelly F - Ohio

Disney Extraordinaire
So here is the deal. We are working toward achieving the SWA Companion pass goal of earning 110K SWA points in a calendar year. I applied for two of the 50K point cards and got both last month. We have spent the $2k per card to get the 100K points and now we are working on the other 6K you need to get the golden companion ticket. Right now we need 3661 points. I have always wanted to go to the Flower and Garden show. I have the flexibility to go but DH does not right now. He is working on a big government project and everyone has to work holiday's and 6 days a week for the next few months. Although he already asked for the Friday before Memorial Day and the Tuesday after Memorial day off before they announced the work restrictions so he gets to keep that vacation! I thought if I could take a solo trip to WDW I would earn enough points that when he is off in May we could go somewhere!! For very little money!

So we talked about me going to WDW solo. Two years ago I was there for a day and a half by myself and I was so lonely. I had no one to talk to and was miserable. So I am worried about going this time. The last time I did not go to a park and I did not have a rental car so I felt isolated. Where as this time I will be going to a park but not sure about getting a rental car. I would only be gone for 72 hrs. The flight getting into MCO lands at midnight so I would just got straight to bed. Then the next day I would go over to Epcot and check out the show. The next day would be a day of leisure. Resort hop and hang out at the pool. Then my last day I would be pretty much the same. Just relax and resort hop till 4 p.m when I head to the airport.

In a way I am excited but also concerned about being lonely.
What to you fellow solo travelers think?

Last edited:
A weekend solo trip can be so much fun. First off, I'd recommend staying onsite so you won't need a rental car. Magical Express will pick you up and drop you off at MCO. Get your ticket with the room so you'll have a package. Disney packages come with 2 FREE mini-golf and Disney Quest tickets. Since you have a day and a half outside of the parks, plan activities so you'll stay occupied. The tickets are included in the package so try one of the mini-golf courses and check out Disney Quest. Head over to Fort Wilderness in the evening for the Campfire Sing-a-long with Chip & Dale, movie under the stars, then head to the beach to watch the MK fireworks and the Electric Water Parade. On your Epcot day, plan a meal at one of the group seating restaurants like Biergarden or Teppan Edo so you'll have dining companions.

I am set for the most part. I am at the AoA and I am thinking of arriving a day early. THe flight the day before I leave is the same price and has a good flight time. DH can drop me off on his way to work. Made my fast pass reservations and plan to eat on the fly. I am getting excited especially since we got another 3" of white stuff today. I am 1/2 way packed.

I'm married now, but after I graduated college I went to DW alone for 5 days. LOVEDDDDDD IT ! It was fabulous. I got to do and see everything I wanted to do. Could leave and get there when I wanted to. I often got to line skip because they had room for just a "single rider". Oh, and I didn't have a rental car. I stayed in Lake Buena Vista at one of those hotels that has the free Disney shuttles. Worked for me!

great plan - when are you going?

live in the south - so 3" would be more than enough to stop my city.

I have gone now many times on solo trips. I love just going and doing anything YOU want. Just being able to walk around Epcot and see all the sights and sounds, and not have to go at a pace outside what you are comfortable with , is worth it in my opinion.

Does it get lonely sometimes? Yes it does, but I have found that its all in my head. I also have had the issue of thinking way too much about what others in the parks perceive of me, and that I have this huge sign over my head that says "Hey I am here alone", when in reality, no one cares! They are all there to have fun just like you!

My recommendation would be to do things that you have always wanted to try, but have never been able to. Just keep busy, but go at your own pace, and do anything you want. It will be a blast!

I did my first solo back in October. I debated on-site vs off, but the transportation thing was the deciding factor. I've never stayed on-site before, and now, I'm never going to stay off-site again. I went for 3 full days (plus travel on each end). I did 1 full day (before RD to after night shows) at MK and then another at Epcot. My "free" day was at Downtown Disney, and sitting by the pool for 4 hours with my Kindle and an adult drink. The only time I felt a little sad/lonely was when I first explored my resort and realized how much my DD (3) would love it. I called my husband, and he said "great! We'll stay there when we take her in a couple of years." He's always the practical and positive one. But he also took time off work to watch the kiddo, and paid for this trip (I'm a stay-at-home mom), so I'm not complaining. I fell in love with Spaceship Earth and went on it 3 times. When I got a little hot or tired, I got a drink or cold treat, sat on a bench, and people watched (and was usually really happy I wasn't having to chase around my 3 year old). I had so much fun and enjoyed a break from my normal life. Before I went, most people said they were jealous or just excited for me, and only a couple of people thought I was crazy. It was so nice just doing what I wanted when I wanted. When I got home, I was happy and full of fun memories.

I will be there Mar 10 -14. Just got an awesome deal today on Orbitz through Ebates and got a room at Pop for $110. Orbitz had an outage and they posted on their page a 15% off code for the inconvenience. So I snagged that deal. Got and SUV rental. I have never driven around Disney except once I went to Publix's. I am usually the co-pilot while the DH drives. Thankfully Disney is easy to navigate. And we were just there in Jan so its fresh in my mind on how to get around. Being a DVC member I was able to snag a room at the BCV which comes in handy since I want to go to Epcot! Now pray we don't get a terrible snow storm here!!!

Last edited:
Well I have everything all set. I even added on another day. I happened to see that BLT had a studio available so I will be there my first night rather than paying cash for AoA and then over to BC the rest. Scored an awesome deal on a rental car at the car care center. So my plan is to take the DME to BLT and have Alamo pick me up to get the car. So for as little as $425(airfare/car rental/gas) it will get us the added points we need for the companion pass!!

I am 90% packed and with more snow that arrived yesterday I am ready to leave. Did a deep cleaning on the house yesterday so I don't have to worry about coming home to messy house.

Well the time has come and I am really sad about going. Worry I will be lonely. Here is the deal. I will be at WDW for a day and a half and I will spend day 3, 4,5 with my husband Aunt and Uncle both are CM. On day 5 I fly home. So I will be with them for 2 1/2 days. But I am concerned about the first half of the trip when I will be by myself.

I will be getting a rental car at MCO when I land in the afternoon and stop at AoA where I was originally going to stay on my first day, to pick up my Amazon box of bottled water, pop and snacks. I called AoA and explained that I had switched resorts and asked if they would hold my box. They said yes. Now I know I could have the box transferred over to BLT but being that it is a convention resort there will be an additional handling fee for my box. Besides I want to grab a hamburger from AoA and if you have not had one you should try it. It tasted like a warm summer day hot off the grill. Yum.
I plan to ride the Epcot monorail and see the flower beds from high up. I heard it is worth it.
I will catch the MK fireworks from TOTWL. Beyond that, that is all I have planned for my arrival day.

The next day I move over to the BCV and plan to go to Epcot and tour the Flower and Garden show in the morning. I will have lunch at the special food stands and then walk back to BCV and enjoy the pool for a bit since it suppose to be rather "HOT". I have a 5p.m reservation at the Captains Grill. From there I plan to go back to Epcot and finish touring around the gardens.

The next morning I will turn my car in at the Dolphin hotel and wait for my Uncle to pick me up at the BCV.

The Aunt and Uncle are not able to entertain me the first two days I arrive do to a commitment they have which is fine.

I just hope all goes well. Of course I will miss my DH and my kitties but I will chat with him at night and we have a video security system that I can log into from my phone and check on what is going on in the house so I can see my kitties.
Can I do this???

I'm sure it probably normal to feel nervous at this point but i bet you'll have a great time, enjoy!

Shelly F,
Two years ago I took a solo weekend Halloween trip so I could go to the party. I had a good time at the party but was kind of sad and lonely the rest of the time, missing my family.
I just got back from my second semi-solo trip. Due to flights being postponed etc due to the winter storms, I wasn't able to meet up with my friend until 4 days into my trip!
I ended up having a great time. I think the difference was that I wasn't as nervous being there by myself and was much more open to talking with people I met there. People are so friendly and it was interesting and fun meeting and talking with the other park-goers and cast members.
I also kept in touch with family and friends by texting and emailing, and sending photos of what I was doing.
It ended up being a fun and relaxing trip, and not lonely like the first time.

Relax, enjoy doing all the things you want to do, and have a great time!

I agree completely! you will have a wonderful time. I will be there 19-24 staying at BLT the entire time. So won't be able to meet you on this trip!

have a great time - you will LOVE the flower/garden - try to go back every year or at worst every other year for it

Well after much wavering tonight, I am going to go. I have reviewed my maps to know where I need to drive. Reviewing what I have planned. Although best laid plans of mice and men often go astray. I am excited about staying a BLT I have never stayed there. I will have lots of options tomorrow. Ride the Epcot monorail. Ride the monorail over to visit the Poly and since it will be HOT I will indulge in a Dole Whip. See fireworks and just relax a bit. I heard there is a butterfly garden at CR and I will have to look into it. I also love riding sea racers. Come to think of it I won't have time to be lonely and sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter