Thinking about trying out cast iron... I need tips and useful info!

laurajetter

Mouseketeer<br><Font color="red">The Tag Fairy thi
I've heard of the benefits of using cast iron but I've never gotten around to actually trying it out. I guess I'm intimidated by my lack of knowledge of how to use it, care for it, what TO do, what NOT to do... Can anyone provide me with some tips for getting started? I sort of understand the idea that it gets seasoned over time (although I don't know the exact process of how to season it) and that is what makes it non-stick, but what about in the beginning, does it stick then? And do the flavors from a previous dish ever intermingle negatively with the flavor of the next dish (i.e. cooking something savory with a distinct flavor then cooking something sweet the next time)? I once had a very small cast iron pan which I never used because it seemed to have gotten rusty and I couldn't get all the rust off.

Any info you have would be greatly appreciated!

I find mine very easy to use. I pretty much only make hamburgers/steaks in it, so I can't comment on the intermingling of flavors.

Mine came "pre-seasoned" which I think is pretty common, so it was as non-stick as it gets from the beginning.

I clean mine with olive oil and kosher salt -- that should get rust off if it develops too.

You will get many opinions on how best to season a cast iron pan and I'm not sure which is the best because our cast iron set was given to us by my grandmother and I've never had to do the initial seasoning. Good luck with it though because they can be very nice to cook with.

If it's pre-seasoned that is good. I still go through a round of seasoning even if pre-seasoned (thin layer of vegetable oil works and put in the oven on top rack upside down at extremely high heat. Put large baking sheets on the bottom rack to catch any grease that comes off). Another tip I have is that I always do a little seasoning after I use my pan. A dab of oil that I spread around with a paper towel and heat up the pan for a few minutes. Keeps it in great condition.

If you do ever get rust a great way to clean the pan is let it sit in Coke for 24 hours, then wash with water and re-season. Which really makes you want to drink a Coke. If it takes rust off a cast iron pan imagine what it does to your insides.

Good luck!

Here's some recipes to try:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/topics/cast-iron.html

I love to make my steaks and hamburgers in them. Also, we've used the skillets for cornbread, no knead bread, desserts (drop cake, pineapple upside down cake, pies, monkey bread). I have a big cast iron pot for stews (the Cub scouts loved the hamburger stew they made over a fire at a campout) and other big pot meals. We use them on campouts for eggs (we do the sausage and bacon on the cast iron griddle).

I just rinse mine with hot water, scrub with a bit of salt and rinse. Dry completely, and rub with a smidge of vegetable oil Olive oil can go rancid, so I don't use it for the rub.

We swear by our cast iron pans. I've had much better luck buying Lodge brand and following their directions on initial use than we did buying an off-brand pan. I clean with hot water and steel wool, then dry it by putting it back on the burner on high until it is dry. I then put a little canola oil in it and wipe it down. We cool everything down to eggs on ours and it's rare to have anything stick. If we cook a sauce in it we do use kosher salt as a scrub medium with the steel wool.

If it's pre-seasoned that is good. I still go through a round of seasoning even if pre-seasoned (thin layer of vegetable oil works and put in the oven on top rack upside down at extremely high heat. Put large baking sheets on the bottom rack to catch any grease that comes off). Another tip I have is that I always do a little seasoning after I use my pan. A dab of oil that I spread around with a paper towel and heat up the pan for a few minutes. Keeps it in great condition.

If you do ever get rust a great way to clean the pan is let it sit in Coke for 24 hours, then wash with water and re-season. Which really makes you want to drink a Coke. If it takes rust off a cast iron pan imagine what it does to your insides.

Good luck!
That is how I do mine. I love my pan, I use for everything! Best pan I know to use.

Do any of you who have Cast Iron cook on an electric cooktop? Wondering if it would crack the glass or should only be used with a gas stove?

I use cast iron for just about everything. We have a skillet and griddle that sit on the stove and we turn to them first when we cook.

I don't use soap on mine, though I hear you can. To clean out anything stuck on, we boil water in it and then rub it down with olive oil. They're not really hard to maintain. Dry them and oil them to prevent rust. That's about it.

I have my great grandmother's big cast iron skillet that was also used by my grandma and my mom. I was so glad I got custody of it when my mom died! I use it for everything, and many times it goes from stove top to oven if I'm making any type of meat in it. Nothing sticks to that sucker, lol. And as far as tastes mingling, that has never been a problem. All I do to clean it is run hot water, NO SOAP ever, and just wipe it out with a cloth. Then I put it upside down in a low heat oven to dry it, and I don't have to oil it. My mom always talked about how her mother made brains and eggs in it every morning for breakfast, when she was little. Maybe all those scrambled brains are what seasoned it up so well :faint:

I have three different sizes of cast iron and they stay stacked on the stove, ready for use. it's all I use. When I want a fried egg, I put the skillet on a hot flame, get it hot, then spray with coconut oil, get it hot, then cook the egg. It slides right off. Never use soap and we find certain vegetable oils can leave a sticky residue. There are several youtube videos showing how to season. Just don't store them wet.

Don't cook anything with a high acidic content until you get it really seasoned(years of use)

Acidic foods will pull out the seasoning and leaves the food tasting very metallic like.

I use my cast iron on a glass top stove with no problem. You just have to be careful not to drop it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter