Thinking about Renting my Points

Discussion in 'DVC-Mousecellaneous' started by Belle & Ariel, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Belle & Ariel

Belle & Ariel DIS Veteran

When we are not at Disney we are cruising and we have done that a lot lately, so points have accumulated. I have my eye on a cruise instead of my planned upcoming vacation but need to find a use for my points.
    I do not feel comfortable renting myself after reading problems people have had. I would give the points to a friend before going that route.
    How safe is it to use David's? If a renter damaged or ran up a bill, would I still be responsible?
    Anyone have experiences good or bad with him?
    Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. CarolAnnC

CarolAnnC <font color=blue>Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syrin

Yes, because you are the owner...

4. double r

double r Mouseketeer

I have rented my points thru Daves a few times and had no problem as far as his buisness goes he was top notch, I guess you could get a bad renter.

5. Disneypapa

Disneypapa OKW owner since 2002 DVC Gold

Using David's, doesn't change the liability scenario, if the renter tears up the place.

6. WebmasterDoc

WebmasterDoc Administrator Administrator

Over the past 14+ years here on the DIS I can think of only 3 occasions where a member reported a problem with a renter regarding unpaid room charges. All three were resolved (at least one was a family member). I cannot think of any reports where a member was charged by Disney for damages to a villa.

The resort will ask for a credit card in order to allow charging privileges on the KTTW card. In the few cases reported, there was a problem with the card when the charges were run at checkout. I don't remember any suspicion that there was any intent to defraud Disney. Instead of vigorously going after the renter who occupied the villa, DVC just attached the member's account and would not allow any reservations to made until the matter was resolved.

The same issues are involved whether the room was occupied by the Member, their family member or a renter and whether or not the rental was managed personally or through a broker.

Regardless, three (unverified) reports in 14+ years doesn't reach the standard for significant concern in my book.

7. fatfish

fatfish DIS Veteran

I just rented out some points thru David for the first time. And they were soon-to-expire points as well. He rented them in a week. It was painless! I'd do it again in a heartbeat. :thumbsup2

8. AZ Navy Wife

AZ Navy Wife Is it wrong that we want to live in Disneyland?

We have rented out our points with The Timeshare Store. The transaction was very smooth. I have not used David's company, so I can not speak for them. However, TTS was wonderful and had my points rented less than 24 hours later. I hope that it works out for you!

9. taaren

taaren "There is more treasure in books than in all the p

If you don't want to rent out your points, get TTS to find someone who would like to transfer them in (at least the current year points). If the points are in the other owner's account and they make the reservation themself, there's no liability on you ....