Thinking about DCL...help me figure cost please...

TnTWalter

DIS Veteran
We just went on our first ever trip to WDW Jan '06. We're a family of 5. We did 6 days/5 nights MYW + Dining with Connecting Rooms at POP for $3500 total including airfare, extras, etc. My mom and dad also went with us.

I want to go back maybe Nov '07 and my brother and sis-in-law and niece [she'll be 18] want to join us, and my mom and dad again.

I'm thinking maybe a 4 day land and 3 day cruise or 4 day cruise and 3 day land would be fun...or some combination.

I've been reading and reading and have submitted to DU and SWV and others for quotes but wanted general idea from veterans...

Are we talking $5K for our family of 5 for EVERYTHING or substantially more??
Should we book the land part ourselves to save $$?
Sounds like 2 connecting inside would be best way to go cheap for my family. Should I try for the cat 10 secret portholes or pay the extra couple hundred for a cat 9 guaranteed porthole or should I go even cheaper like category 12? Or should we do some other combination with my folks or bro & SIL family? Cost is a factor to us. My parents did a celebrity cruise a couple years back for their anniversary [DH and I 'treated' them] and they had a veranda which they loved so it might be hard to throw them in a room without at least a porthole [but this time they're paying their way! ;o)].

Thanksgiving week is when we thought it would be good to go [as little missed school as possible].

Should I just stick to land only?

Is Costco cheaper than DU or other avenues?

I have read to book like NOW to save the most money...this is true? And, how late can I cancel without fee?

Thanks so much!
Trish

Thanksgiving week will be more expensive than the weeks before/after it. Everybody wants to miss as little school as possible, so the law of supply/demand kicks in & prices go crazy.

I think you will be right around the $5K price. I would price it doing land/sea combined & seperate, many people post saying it was cheaper seperate, others say they saved more doing it packaged. Whatever you do BOOK EARLY!! You can cancel upto 90 days prior without penalty

But I can cancel up to 3 months ahead?
I'm waiting for quotes still.....just wish they went to outer islands of Bahamas. I really dislike Nassau.

Trish

$200 per person in cabin for the 3/4 day cruises, $250 for 7 day & I think it is $300 for the 10+ day. You have to be careful not adding children when booking, because once they hit the limit for children you can not add them even if the cabin will hold more.

DW DD(6) and I just came off a 3 night cruise with a 1 day stay prior and 4 day stay after. I would suggest no less than a 4 day cruise, Just not enough time on the ship. (Loved it) :bounce: We just re-booked for a 7 night Eastern Carribean. There is just soo much to do! DD says she likes the cruise better than the park.

Cant help you on the costs - we went on our Disney Vacation Points.

Enjoy!!! :cool1:

say that 4 days is great. (and USUALLy less money per day than a 3/day).

Costs is going to be difficult for anyone on this board to judge without specific dates. Thanksgiving is a holiday week and you will not get any discounts other than what the TA is willing to give in ONBOARD credit or Cash Back...group rates aren't available during those peak weeks!

We're a family of 5 and I would guess I would budget close to 5k for a holiday week...and shop like crazy for airfare.

Last year we went after Christmas. I didn't book airfare until SOuthwest seats became available. THe cost of my seats ended up being the same as DELTA had been when I booked the cruise. I really wished I had booked Delta because I could have checked my bags at the port during our return trip!! :sunny:

I am NOT an expert, but it seems like Disney tacks the same price onto a cruise package for adding the days on LAND (No matter what category room you are in). The result is that the higher categories get much nicer land accomodations for the same add-on amount. FOr our holiday week cruise, we were able to save $1500 on our party of 5 by booking the land seperately. price it both ways and find out!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter