Thinking about AKL - is it really worth the $$?

MinnieMom

Because everyone needs a little magic in their lif
We tend to stay offsite most of the time because my entire family goes and we love getting a big house and staying all together. That's what we'll be doing when we leave in 40 (!!!!!) days -- sorry, couldn't resist!

BUT, DH and I are already planning our next trip and we're really thinking about staying at AKL with the kids. To me, it would be like two separate vacations. I know they kids would love seeing the animals so close. I'm just wondering if it is really worth the $$. I just priced it out for when we are going this April to get an idea of cost and it was over $4,000. Of course, that's for 9 nights/10 days, but it seems so high to me for a hotel. We're used to paying about $2,500 for a huge 6 or 7-bedroom house with a private pool.

Can anyone convince me that it is really worth it?

I will let you know as soon as we return from our first stay there in Sept.:thumbsup2 But I can tell you that I've always wanted to stay at AKL for many of the reasons that you listed. And there's really not another hotel that i've heard of that offers this kind of experience.

Good luck

We would rather stay there than anywhere else. There is nothing like waking up to the animals. Watching our DD and Niece having breakfast with Strppy and Ben (that is what they named our "pet" girraffs). It has a wonderful feel to it. But I have a few questions? Where else would you stay? (hotel wise) We only stay on property because of the perks. Transprtation being the best. Also I on't like to leave me happy place once I am there. I would suggest trying to get a discount through AAA or something else too. We only paid $145 a night last time we stayed there. Also look at mods and other deluxes just to compare prices.
Heidi

keep the house and go to breakfast at BOMA and let the kids look around.

Do the safari at AK as well....

If you are used to alot of room then AK is not for you. Small room for what is dubbed as deluxe.

I find it very dark as well. Sister to WL which also has same room size but is a hop skip and a jump to MK.

Not sure of how many kids you have but I personally do not think AK is worth it ...You are not close to anything with the exception of AK and blizzard beach.

I would rather see you in a moderate or AS family suite

We tend to stay offsite most of the time because my entire family goes and we love getting a big house and staying all together. That's what we'll be doing when we leave in 40 (!!!!!) days -- sorry, couldn't resist!

BUT, DH and I are already planning our next trip and we're really thinking about staying at AKL with the kids. To me, it would be like two separate vacations. I know they kids would love seeing the animals so close. I'm just wondering if it is really worth the $$. I just priced it out for when we are going this April to get an idea of cost and it was over $4,000. Of course, that's for 9 nights/10 days, but it seems so high to me for a hotel. We're used to paying about $2,500 for a huge 6 or 7-bedroom house with a private pool.

Is that just for a regular savanna view room?

We just love AKL. A agree that it is a large chunk of change but I have such wonderful memories from it. We had a savannah view room and we loved just watching the animals. DD thought it was the coolest thing ever. We lucked out and got " the code" so we are returning to AKL this June at a great deal. If you can afford it I would say go for it. If you cannot justify it then so as the above posted said and visit and eat and just look around.

To me AKL would not be worth that. However, WL is definitely worth the money in our opinion. We feel at WL we're still in the heart of the Magic Kingdom area, but it feels remote and very relaxing. We visited AKL on our last trip because we had intended to stay there for a future visit, but decided that it was too "out there" for our tastes and the fact that there was no lake to rent water boats, no place to rent surrey bikes, only busses for transportation, etc, the WL will always beat out AKL for our family.

I don't know if the folks that are telling you not to stay at the AKL have ever stayed there or not but I strongly suggest doing at least a split stay if not your entire stay there. Obviously from staying offsite and enjoying it, it's not critical for you to feel like your in the middle of the MK 24/7. When we have stayed at the AKL, we lose ourselves in the theme and can easily forget that you are in WDW. For us, it is pure magic to enjoy our morning coffee listening to the savannah come to life or enjoy a late glass of wine as the animals settle in for the night. Also, should you decide to stay there, interacting with the staff and discussing their homelands will add immensely to the experience.

AKL is the only deluxe resort at Disney I think is worth the cost. It's a unique experience compared to ANY other hotel in North America.

What about a split stay? A week at your 'house" and a few days at AKL. Looks like the best of both worlds.

AKL is SO worth it!!

I am desperately trying to budget so we can at least have a split stay for our summer vacation. We always have a pretty long one.. this year's was supposed to be 20 days, but I'm thinking of cutting it down just so we can get 9 or 10 days at a moderate and about a week at AKL. Maybe a good AP rate will come out!? lol.

It is so unique! And as one poster suggested, talk to the CMs there! They are so wonderful and informative about their countries.
There were many free children's activities that even I enjoyed doing. We are always sure to schedule time to enjoy all that AKL has to offer.

Do a split stay to save some money. Be sure to use any special rates. Even AAA will take off about 15% taking a standard room (though I'd recommend a savannah room if you can afford it, about $65-$70 more) in regular season, only $268. That includes taxes and fees.

AKL maybe far from most parks, but it also has it's own bus.. it doesn't share with any other resorts. We rarely use the bus, we rent a car, but when we have used it, it takes less than 15 minutes to get to MK. And, only about 5 minutes to AK of course.

Have a great time no matter what you decide!
pixiedust:

I sure hope that it's worth it. I have always wanted to stay there and I have been spoiled with the present of a stay there for my 40th birthday!

I can think of nothing cooler than opening my drapes and seeing giraffe and other critters out and about. Maggie

We would rather stay there than anywhere else. There is nothing like waking up to the animals. Watching our DD and Niece having breakfast with Strppy and Ben (that is what they named our "pet" girraffs). It has a wonderful feel to it. But I have a few questions? Where else would you stay? (hotel wise) We only stay on property because of the perks. Transprtation being the best. Also I on't like to leave me happy place once I am there. I would suggest trying to get a discount through AAA or something else too. We only paid $145 a night last time we stayed there. Also look at mods and other deluxes just to compare prices.
Heidi

I really don't know where else we would stay. AKL is the only 'hotel' that even interests me. I think Boardwalk looks fantastic, but from what I have read that would be similar pricing to AKL and I really think the kids would enjoy AKL more. We go to the beach every summer for a week anyway, so they already get that experience. I'd rather do something different at WDW.

I have actually been thinking about joining AAA lately, so maybe I'll bite the bullet and go ahead and do that to see what kind of pricing they can give me. Thanks for the suggestion!

We have stayed at the AKL twice concierge level. It is an absolutely beautiful, well-themed resort. If you are into atmosphere then you will enjoy it there - so nice to walk around and check things out. Jiko's is our favorite place to eat - while the kids are at Simba's Cubhouse.

That being said.....I personally could not stay at the resort the entire time of our vacation. In April we split our stay and I am fine to stay at AKL 3 or 4 nights ONLY.

For me there isn't much to do at night unless you go somewhere else. There is no place to walk to. And unless you are going to the Animal Kingdom, it seems to be far away from everything else - for some that is a good point.

Our favorite area is the EPCOT area so that clouds my judgment on the AKL. I love getting up in the morning and walking the loop past the YC/BC/Swan/Dolphin/Boardwalk with my son. And then having the convenience of being so close to EPCOT and MGM, being able to walk to the parks or take the ferry, the atmosphere of the Boardwalk area, etc.

But I do think the AKL is a beautiful resort and certainly worth checking out. I know many people who have no trouble staying there for long periods of time - just not our thing.

Go and enjoy yourself!

Jill

I totally agree with Calgarygary ... SPLIT YOUR STAY. I LOVE staying at AKL, it is one of our favorites! But you can stay there 3 nights and then stay in a rented house for a week. You could get the best of both worlds that way.:goodvibes

We love the AKL. We stayed in a sav room in Dec 06 for around $250 a night with an AP discount. Our boys were completely infatuated with the place and watched the animals for hours on end. The rooms are on the small size, although we were rarely all in the room at once, most of the time they were on the balcony. They also have a lot of activities for the kids at the lodge.

I would probably do a split stay, at least, the first week in the house and the last few days @ AKL. Depending on how often you go, you may want to consider an Annual Pass. My friend gets one and she goes once a year, she uses the AP for two trips by scheduling her 2nd trip right before the AP expires,(i.e. buys AP for the first trip May 10 to May 20, she'd set up the next trip to be something like May 1 to May 10). The AP also gives you free parking at the parks (would save you $100 on one 10 day trip). Plus you can get discounts on different tours and at some restaurant.

As much as we love the AKL, we will never stay Concierge there again. My husband and I just got back from a long weekend and stayed Concierge. To say that we were disappointed is an understatement. The Concierge staff were very distant with all the guests, not just us (the staff members were usually talking with each other or in the staff room) and unwilling to help with reservations or request (aside from giving us the phone number to call for ourselves). We will definitely stay at the lodge again, just not CL.

I forget what the room was called, but no - that was not even a savannah view - just a regular room!

Well, that is steep. That being said we are huge fans of the AKL. We have stayed 7times and will be back for our 8th this coming September and we are considering buying into the DVC for the AKV.

With all that being said I never recommend that anyone over extend themselves financially just for a vacation so the question really is are you willing and able to pay the price quoted? If you are then go for it the AKL is a great resort and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a truely unique and relaxing experiance. If the cost is going to cause you financial worries then do not stay there and go with a moderate or the WL if you can get a room there for less money. No vacation is worth having finanical worries.

I think I would check with another TA or do the booking myself. It sounds as though you'd be going during peak season (if before April 14th), but even so, you said you were quoted for a regular room.. a standard would only be $2925.00 (plus tax/fees)for 9 nights. Unless you're adding in the DP or tickets? Even a Savannah room comes out to $3600 for that time frame. That's with no discounts. If you joined AAA take off about 15%. Get one AP and be able to apply the AP rate, and save more.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. You won't regret AKL though!..lol.

By the way, The Boardwalk tends to be about $100 a night more expensive than AKL. AKL and WL are the 'cheap' luxury resorts :)

My family loved AKL. We loved waking up and looking at the animals, it was great! The only thing that dissappointed me was the rooms are a little small.
We like to try different hotels, so I would recommend it highly:banana: :banana: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter