Thinking about 1st solo trip this fall

Pluto0809

DIS Veteran
My DH is not a big Disney fan so I'm thinking about taking my first solo trip this fall. I am going to make him go fall 2013 for my 40th birthday but I'm going through serious withdrawal since the last time I was there was May 2011. :) I don't think I can wait for the 2013 trip!

So I have some questions for those that have gone solo.

1. Even though I have no concerns, my DH is very worried about my safety. I'm trying to be as economical as possible on this trip so I plan to stay at a Value Resort. Do you feel safe when you travel to Disney by yourself? Are any of the Value Resorts better for safety than others? Can you request a room closer to the Lobby area for resorts that are spread out like Pop Century?

2. I'm considering either the 1st or 2nd week of November or the 1st week of December. Any positives or negatives about those weeks? I would love to see the Christmas Decorations so when do they go up at the parks?

3. I'm also looking at the meal plans. I'm hoping to find a deal where the meal plan is free. Are they worth it if you are solo? I'll probably just go with the 2 CS plan so I'm not sitting alone for meals.

4. I've been to WDW recently in 2010 and 2011 and have "done" most rides/shows. There's a handful I've missed and plan to catch this time. For those that have gone many times, are there any "hidden" gems in the parks that you can suggest? I'm just looking for new things to do.

I think that's all for now! I'm sure there will be many more questions before I book! Thanks in advance, I love this board! :love:

1. Even though I have no concerns, my DH is very worried about my safety. I'm trying to be as economical as possible on this trip so I plan to stay at a Value Resort. Do you feel safe when you travel to Disney by yourself? Are any of the Value Resorts better for safety than others? Can you request a room closer to the Lobby area for resorts that are spread out like Pop Century?

Yes. I always use the same common sense in safety there, as I do anywhere else I go. I always double lock the door, even if I'm just going in to grab something. I never bring alot of jewelry or credit cards. I always keep those in the locked safe. I have stayed at the Sports solo and requested a room facing the courtyard in building 10 (Touchdown). I made sure they were aware that I was there solo. This building is close to the main building, food court and buses, but not have to pay a "preferred rate". If you want to pay the extra $10, then you can get a room in the Surf's Up buildings which are right outside the foodcourt. I liked the room I had, as it was always very well lit.

2. I'm considering either the 1st or 2nd week of November or the 1st week of December. Any positives or negatives about those weeks? I would love to see the Christmas Decorations so when do they go up at the parks?

Have been both times you have listed. The Food & Wine Festival ends on November 11th. Also, that is Veteran's Day weekend, which means you will run into Jersey week. The week before that should not be too bad. Also, the first week of December is nice. Everything is decorated for the holidays. I found the MK packed on the weekends, but with alot of locals.

3. I'm also looking at the meal plans. I'm hoping to find a deal where the meal plan is free. Are they worth it if you are solo? I'll probably just go with the 2 CS plan so I'm not sitting alone for meals.

I always do the meal plan, even when I go solo. I just like the fact that I don't have to worry about paying for any meals, just tips. I have a 2 week solo trip coming up and am hoping for the free dining. I usually do the 1 TS, 1 CS & 1 Snack, but for $30 a night, you can upgrade to the DxDDP, which gives you the chance to dine at the signature restaurants.

4. I've been to WDW recently in 2010 and 2011 and have "done" most rides/shows. There's a handful I've missed and plan to catch this time. For those that have gone many times, are there any "hidden" gems in the parks that you can suggest? I'm just looking for new things to do.
I love doing my favorite attractions, but going solo also gives me the chance to really take in all the little nooks & crannies at each park. I stroll slowly down Main Street USA and look at all the windows and what they have to say. I also wander around Liberty Square too. At EPCOT, it's really looking at the different countries, wandering all around the countries. It's amazing the details you can find. At Animal Kingdom, I love strolling around the Tree of Life (there is a pretty waterfall in the back) and trying to find all of the animals. At the Studios, it's looking at the windows, the billboards, finding a stack of old luggage at a taxi stand, etc.

Thanks for the advice! I totally forgot about Vetern's Day, definitely want to skip that day. I need to do some serious thinking now to decide whether to go in Nov or Dec. Nov is better for work but I sure do want to see the Christmas decorations!

Also need to figure our how to approach my DH. I haven't told him yet that I'm going and I know he's going to have a fit about safety since he has done that in the past!

My upcoming trip with be the 6th solo trip. I love going with family, but have just as much fun going solo. Some people think it's selfish, but I don't care. You get to do what you want to do when you want to do it. You can dine where and when YOU want. You can go to whatever attractions you want, as many times as YOU want to or skip some all together. You don't have to worry about if others are having a good time, as the only person you have to worry about is YOU!

Before I leave home, I always go through my wallet and pull out everything but insurance cards (medical & dental), my AAA card, license, one credit card and my ATM card. Once I check into the room, the wallet goes in the safe and does not come out unless neccessary. I charge everything to the room, so no need to carry alot of cash, credit card or ATM card. My iPod also goes in the safe and my laptop is hidden under clothes in one of the drawers. I leave nothing out.

I pre-fill my daily tip envelopes for Mousekeeping before I leave for the trip and put these in the safe as well. Each morning I will grab an envelope and leave it on the night stand before I leave for the park.

When I make room preferences, I contact Disney directly (prior to the 10 days out, then again at the 10 day mark) and let them know what the preferences are and why I am asking. Have always received what I was looking for. I don't get too specific (like an exact room number), but a building number and location in the building. I like the room at had at the Sports, as the room was the second one down, so really close to the main building, pool & bus stop. This room faced the football area, so it was always really well lit at night or early in the morning. We stayed at Pop once before and really did not care for it. Too spread out for my taste, plus we had issues with the room, mousekeeping, etc. The plus side for Sports is that it is the first hotel for pickup & drop off and I like the layout. If possible, see if you can upgrade to Port Orleans French Quarter. This is a GREAT resort!! It's small & compact, so it's easy to get everywhere, plus there is a boat that goes to Downtown Disney. It has an elegant, New Orleans feel about it, as well a more grown up feel to it.

I love to read, so there is always a paperback in my backpack. I will pull it out when I dine or while waiting for a parade or show to start. I find it takes any awkwardness away and I can relax and actually get through reading the books without many distractions.

I am an early riser by nature, so I always take advantage of a parks AM EMH. I also take breaks during the day to recharge and go to a different park at night. I'll go for a swim, sit in a lounge chair and read or take a quick nap. Again, I never take any valuables with me to the pool (less to worry about losing). Just a book & sunglasses.

I find when I go solo, I go at a bit of a slower pace. I take my time to really absorb all the parks and resorts have. I love finding things that I have missed in other trips.

In the Magic Kingdom, I wandered down the little area near the glass shop that has windows offering painting & music lessons. If you listen closely, you can hear an instructor giving a piano lesson to a little girl and getting a wee bit frustrated at her hitting the wrong notes and giggling. In all of the trips I have ever taken to WDW, never have I heard or seen this before. There are some tables and chairs and it's so quiet there, as people are rushing up and down Main Street and miss this area completely. It's a nice place to sit, relax and enjoy a treat from either the bakery, confectionary or ice cream shop.

In EPCOT, I wander all over the different countries. In Canada, there is a little path by the waterfall, as well as the details in the buildings. In the UK, it has the garden in the back, but the buildings are really quaint along the side where it goes out towards France. In France, look at the architecture and the details in the windows. In China, when you first walk into the attraction, look up. The ceiling is AMAZING!!! You can find all of these little details at all of the countries if you take the time to look.

Disney is big on safety. I go with the mentality of the less I bring, the less that may get lost or stolen. I walk with confidence and am comfortable with my surroundings. I never open my room door, unless I know why the person is there in the first place. For instance, when I got to my room on my last trip, my suitcase was there, but there was also 2 other bags that were left, but were not mine. I called luggage services to report this and they sent someone over right away to retrieve them. Other than that, it does not open unless I am entering or leaving the room. I also keep the blinds closed when I am in the room. The door is always double locked.

I think you'll have a great time!

My DH is not a big Disney fan so I'm thinking about taking my first solo trip this fall. I am going to make him go fall 2013 for my 40th birthday but I'm going through serious withdrawal since the last time I was there was May 2011. :) I don't think I can wait for the 2013 trip!

So I have some questions for those that have gone solo.

I would say that the whole place is very safe - but use the usual precautions. All locks on the door engaged when you're in your room, don't open the door unless you invited the person to come over, stay on the paths, etc. I think that all of the values are safe. And of course, if you pay extra you can absolutely get a room close to the lobby.

I would do either the second week of November or the first week of December. Don't forget Pop Warner is at the value resorts the first week of December, so you might not like the resort as much with 10,000 kids running around.

I did CS and TS on my trip. However, when I'm at Disney I don't eat very much and I eat even less when I'm alone, so I personally wouldn't do the DP. I budgeted $100 for me to eat for four days (and also did a $30 run to Target for water etc.), but I only spent $60. And that included a table service!

There's a ton of things to do. You'd probably want to check out the Kim Possible mission in Epcot, since that will show you some cool things! Otherwise, take the paths in the parks that you don't remember taking before - that will yield interesting results. I personally spent my non-riding time park-hopping or taking different transportation than I usually do (I used my rental car, and rode the monorail, ferry, Friendship Boats, and the bus). After all, it was just me!

I think that's all for now! I'm sure there will be many more questions before I book! Thanks in advance, I love this board! :love:

My answers are in blue above. I loved my solo trip! One thing to consider; if you're going back next fall, it might work out well for you to get an AP. Then, you could use the AP discount on a room if one was available, and there are a lot of other perks.

Hi!

Went on my first solo trip last fall stayed at Pop for the first time (always stay at CSR with the kids) loved it! Went for my birthday... I had so much fun I'm going again the 2nd week of November. I never felt uncomfortable at the resort or in the parks.

I went on my first solo trip in November, 2011, and I loved it! Yes, I was nervous, but being at WDW isn't like going solo on other trips. It's very natural, I think. Your'e in WDW afterall - I think it's still a very safe place to be.

I stayed at Pop Century since it was just me, and I had no problem with the layout or any concerns about safety. Yes, I'm a guy, but I'm not a 6 foot 4 bruiser. I love the fact that even though I spent much less than what you spend at higher end resorts you still get Disney quality, Disney transporatation, and all the conveniences of being onsite. It wasn't like they threw me into a Motel 8 with mouse ears on top. Decent quality for the price. I like that.

I didn't do the meal plan on this trip, but the next solo trip I do I think I will. The convenience is the main thing, I think. Because of being solo, I'd probably go with counter service instead of sitting alone at a table service restaurant. (Any thoughts on this folks? Do you stand out like a sore thumb if you sit alone at a table service place?) Again, I think because of being solo, eating at a counter service restaurant is OK.

Being solo was a lot of fun for me. I decided how many rides, how often, how long I stayed at the parks, etc. I'm a big kid at heart, so I got to have as much fun as I could handle on my solo days. It's nice to have a vote on things and have it unanimous!! :)

I feel there's no difference between going solo and going with someone else who decides they'd rather hang out at the pool while you go to the parks.

I'm thinking of another solo trip in May, actually. I love WDW and need to go back, even though my last trip was in November.

Good luck and have fun!!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am sooo excited and I still have months to go! I'm probably going to wait a few months to decide on exact dates. Need to hash out some other vacation plans first. My MIL is coming for two weeks sometime in October so I'm definitely going to need the Disney time after that.

I am definitely going to check out the Waterfall in Animal Kingdom and the area by the Glass shop on Main Street. Also the Kim Possible thing or the new one in MK. I'm going to keep reading all of the wonderful threads here to get more ideas! So far I've come up with getting a Grey Goose slushy in France, doing Pick a Pearl in Japan and possibly a Wild Africa Trek in AK if I can save up the cash.

The safety tips were great. Using my key card for all purchases will be something I definitely do. I usually carry cash so I have a spending limit but being alone I'll just have to control myself. Of course if some cute Pluto item presents itself all reason will go right out the window!

I stayed at POP in January 2010 and loved it. I like to try different resorts so I'm leaning towards the All Star Music one, it's calling my name for some reason. I'm thinking about asking for the Jazz section with a room facing the courtyard.

Oh, what exactly is Pop Warner? I've seen a few threads but all I could get out of it was a lot of screaming cheerleaders running around. :lmao: There were a bunch of cheerleaders when I was there in May 2011 and they didn't bother me much. Of course I was at Coronado Springs that time and only saw them in the parks.

P.S. - WDW Fan, I grew up in Pittsburgh. Family is still there. I miss everything but the snow. :)

I just got back from my first solo trip and had an awesome time. I never felt unsafe, but agree with all the tips mentioned above about locking your room, being aware of surroundings, etc. Being able to charge to your room key is great; I took a minimal amount of cash on my trip and left most of it in the room safe, I carried very little on me and spent even less.

I cannot emphasize this enough: If there is a TS restaurant you want to try, GO FOR IT! Don't be afraid of dining solo! I had lovely meals at Via Napoli, Flying Fish and Les Chefs de France and never felt awkward, or like a "sore thumb." The CMs/servers were all great, and I promise you, everyone else dining around you is busy with their own food and company and could not care less that you're eating alone.

Oh, what exactly is Pop Warner?
The best way to describe Pop Warner is Little League Football. They have the Super Bowl for 10 year olds at the ESPN Sports facility. They usually stay at All Star Sports

It's great to read all the positive comments about solo trips!! I'm considering one is October, I'd stay at POP (stayed there before). I'm a little apprehensive , but excited too!

It's great to read all the positive comments about solo trips!! I'm considering one is October, I'd stay at POP (stayed there before). I'm a little apprehensive , but excited too!

Steph2527, all I can say is DO IT!

I'm going on my 2nd solo trip at the end of May. Don't get me wrong - I love people, I love relationships, I love friends... but the freedom of a solo trip is so nice. I went on my first one in November, and really enjoyed it.

I treated it like "Everyone else is busy shopping, swimming, etc... and this is my FREE time." So I rode what I wanted, ate what I wanted, watched shows/parades that I wanted... it was so much fun! I stayed at POP Century for the first trip, and found it perfect for my needs. I'm staying at All Star Sports this time (because of the price - lowest I could find).

I'm so excited to be going back. I think a solo trip is now on my annual MUST DO list.

Mike.

I LOVE solo trips!!

The freedom to do whatever you want whenever you want. It's great!! I did my first solo trip in November 2010. 8 days!! Was never lonely or bored. I have since been a few times solo, but, have also made great friends down in Florida as well!!

I'll be headed back in May and the first few days I'll be spending time with friends in West Palm but the last few days I'll be at Pop on a solo trip! May meet up with a few people here or there, but, I'm looking forward to the peace and rest!

I love solo trips!

I am a shy person and I never went anywhere alone. In desperation for a WDW trip I went solo and would/will do it again for however long my health holds out and lets me!

I think it is the safest place a person could ever travel alone. Even at the resort, think of how many people are within ear shot. I was there alone during leap day and even traveling to my room at 4am I was not fearful.

With so much to do I was not surprised to discover that I did not have time to be lonely. I was surprised to find out how much I came out of shyness. I ended up talking with a lot of people and had a blast doing it.

Edited to add: I stayed once at Music at the back of the resort and I did not like it. It seemed a little too dark and isolated to me especially since it was not a busy time of the year. ( It was also the quietest room I ever had, and it would have been great if I had been with someone.) What ever resort you choose I would suggest that you look up the resort map and stay towards the lobby, near a pool, or other well lit area. Especially on your first solo trip.

Steph2527, all I can say is DO IT!

I'm going on my 2nd solo trip at the end of May. Don't get me wrong - I love people, I love relationships, I love friends... but the freedom of a solo trip is so nice. I went on my first one in November, and really enjoyed it.

I treated it like "Everyone else is busy shopping, swimming, etc... and this is my FREE time." So I rode what I wanted, ate what I wanted, watched shows/parades that I wanted... it was so much fun! I stayed at POP Century for the first trip, and found it perfect for my needs. I'm staying at All Star Sports this time (because of the price - lowest I could find).

I'm so excited to be going back. I think a solo trip is now on my annual MUST DO list.

Mike.

Thank you for your kind and supportive words!! Since i've written that post, i have booked POP for a "solo" (family friends are staying at POLY, so i would do a character meal or 2 with their boys who are 3 and 5, and maybe some time at MK) trip.
I am quite shy (although less at WDW), and nervous about being lonely (and about flying ALONE for the first time) and bored (i know...dare i say bored at WDW!!). But I also think it'd be great to do what I want, WHEN i want, and if i want to sleep in, i can, or i can be there for rope drop (the norm). Or if i just want to hang by the pool, i can do that too! I booked at Room Only for now (plan on adding tickets and possibly dining soon), so if i chicken out before October, i don't lose out on any $.

I love solo trips!

I am a shy person and I never went anywhere alone. In desperation for a WDW trip I went solo and would/will do it again for however long my health holds out and lets me!

I think it is the safest place a person could ever travel alone. Even at the resort, think of how many people are within ear shot. I was there alone during leap day and even traveling to my room at 4am I was not fearful.

With so much to do I was not surprised to discover that I did not have time to be lonely. I was surprised to find out how much I came out of shyness. I ended up talking with a lot of people and had a blast doing it.

Edited to add: I stayed once at Music at the back of the resort and I did not like it. It seemed a little too dark and isolated to me especially since it was not a busy time of the year. ( It was also the quietest room I ever had, and it would have been great if I had been with someone.) What ever resort you choose I would suggest that you look up the resort map and stay towards the lobby, near a pool, or other well lit area. Especially on your first solo trip.

I have a preferred room booked at POP, thought i'd be more comfortable closer to the main building and transportation since it'll be my first solo trip. Thanks for the tip though!

I have a preferred room booked at POP, thought i'd be more comfortable closer to the main building and transportation since it'll be my first solo trip. Thanks for the tip though!

Oh you should be great in a preferred room. :thumbsup2 Also, I think POP is very well lit.

My last stay I was in the 50's section, back building area of building 3 and I felt safe. I even feel safe along the lakes edge there because of so many rooms so close and not a lot of hidden areas or quick escape routes for a bad person.

As long as I can enter the room through a corridor away from a parking lot I feel ok. I do not feel safe in one of the (few) ground floor rooms near the edge of the 50's buildings that are very close to the parking. I am concerned that someone could grab me and get me into a car too easily.
Just mentioning this in case someone later searches out this thread during their trip planning.

Oh you will love the POP! I am inspired by your post.

I am on the fence about going on my own in mid May. My DS 20 will be home from college so I can leave the boys home alone (DH travels a lot). But... my DSIL wants to me to go on a trip to Europe this summer, so I can't justify TWO trips, or can I??? :confused:

Hello!
I'm going on my first solo trip in May, but I can vouch for the 1st week of December: it's great! We went twice (2009 and 2011), and had a great time both times (and free dining!). Very reasonnable wait times everywhere, great weather (though it can be chilly, and even downright cold).
We did the MVMCP both times, and the're so much stuff to see in December, with the Candlelight Processional, Orborne Lights, decorations, etc.

I did find the Osborne Lights to be a lot more crowded this year than it was two years ago; same thing for the CP, but then again, we went on a Saturday, with guest speaker Geena Davis.

Anyway, hope this helps!

i would love to take my first solo trip this fall to stay in the new Little Mermaid rooms and enjoy the food and wine festival in EPCOT. My last trip was Dec 10 and my 2012 trip has been cancelled by friends. I'm going through withdrawal.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter