• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Think of all the joy you’ll find …….. Update - January 06

Italy Part 5

IMG_6347_zpsmljompx0.jpg

IMG_6348_zpsyttnknhr.jpg

For my main course I had a sole, which came whole and was fileted at the table. It was SO good!!!!!!

IMG_6350_zps914t3nhm.jpg

IMG_6351_zpsqg1yt5c1.jpg

IMG_6352_zpsaibirzpz.jpg

Tom had the Calamari Fritti, served with griddled Polenta

IMG_6353_zpsdbbuxvgv.jpg

and more table decorations - this time limes

IMG_6354_zpswtxvv8ea.jpg

IMG_6355_zpsvkertzn7.jpg

and as you can see, when we left the restaurant, it was siesta time again - streets were empty.

IMG_6356_zpsgvjomwkg.jpg

There is a very small ice cream stand right close to our hotel and I picked up another ice-cream, coconut and dark chocolate.

We spent the part of the afternoon relaxing and then packing up, before going shopping for prosciutto and cheeses to take home.

Later that evening we went for another walk to pick up a few more items we had wanted to buy, but I forgot to take any more photos during the walk.

IMG_6364_zpsii4tnry4.jpg

IMG_6359_zpszggmhc6l.jpg

IMG_6365_zpsvv8d7prk.jpg

We had a lovely salad and some things out of the fridge for a latish dinner, which ended with me having one of these beauties

IMG_6357_zpsihqubutj.jpg

and finishing off the wine

IMG_6368_zpssgxjm1rw.jpg

Day 4

We got up around 7am and got ready. I picked up some more fresh bread and we had a lovely breakfast, before gathering all our stuff and loading it into the car. Then we were off for a quick final walk around the town and finally got into the car and left the parking garage. We had two more stops to make to shop for a few more groceries that we wanted to take home and around 12.30 we were on our way back home.

IMG_6369_zpsoocwjdtg.jpg

About an hour later we left Italy and returned back to Austria

IMG_6370_zpsts5poi26.jpg

We returned the Telepass and had a late lunch at the rest station there

IMG_6372_zpsqbltukjc.jpg

IMG_6374_zps4ub0gunl.jpg

IMG_6375_zpsbxnxnnfp.jpg

and finished off with an ice cream cone, then it was driving for the better part of two hours, traffic was okay, it slowed down a few times, but all in all we made good progress. In Mondsee we made one more stop for a restroom break and another ice-cream

IMG_6377_zpsmsczzyvx.jpg

before driving the last bit of the way.

Up next - some more real life updates :goodvibes

Wow...that sole and calamari look wonderful (I LOVE calamari!).

And ice cream looks yummy too.

Lots of great food in Italy! But what is the bacon wrapped sausage called??? My mother used to serve this when we were kids (I think the sausage was even filled with cheese), but I have never seen it served in a restaurant!

You could have had some more sunshine in Italy, but it seems that you made up for the lack in sun with lots of delicious food and drinks! Looks like a very relaxing vacation!

What a lovely (though cloudy/rainy) weekend in Italy! The food looks amazing! I miss the food at the rest stops...always yummy!

Jill in CO

I was still not fully healthy again and having to teach took all my energy.
Karin - I am so sorry that you got so sick. I hope you were feeling a LOT better for your mini-vacation.

So, without further ado here is a recap of that short vacation in pictures (with just a little text in between)
I loved reading and seeing all the pictures from your trip - you know how much I love the non-Disney TRs. And I'm always a huge fan of your trips to Italy. :goodvibes

LOVE these two photos especially - so cool looking! :thumbsup2

We even found a gondola pendant for my Pandora bracelet and picked that up together with a few other small bits and pieces.

What charms do you have? Do you have many from Disney?

IMG_6323_zpsaismm6oh.jpg

Just love how all the umbrellas are put up so neatly.

So European for sure. It really is cool!

Kona beer, one of Tom's favourites

IMG_6334_zpsshlixdo4.jpg

How neat is that! Good find Tom!

We just loved the table decorations

IMG_6340_zps9aymibgr.jpg

so simple, yet so awesome. They had different ones on all the tables, some filled with pasta (no water) or lemons.

Such a cool idea! Never thought about that, that is really simple and nice.

IMG_6348_zpsyttnknhr.jpg

For my main course I had a sole, which came whole and was fileted at the table. It was SO good!!!!!!

Oh my gosh, this is the best way to eat fish--whole! :faint: With tons of lemon. Ugh!!:love:

Yep, i'll take the calamari too please.

IMG_6353_zpsdbbuxvgv.jpg

and more table decorations - this time limes

Love!

IMG_6356_zpsgvjomwkg.jpg

There is a very small ice cream stand right close to our hotel and I picked up another ice-cream, coconut and dark chocolate.

Wow that is some dark chocolate! That looks delicious.

What a beautiful shot. Oh and the mountains and lake is cool too ;):laughing:

Again, I have to apologize for not getting back to you any sooner and do replies, but it again was a full week of work and I kind of never found the time to do the rest of the updates which I wanted to share with you.

But here we go ........
(there should be 3 or 4 more real life updates and then one that is a vacation update ::yes::)

Another birthday to celebrate

In early May there was another birthday to celebrate and I thought I'd share the decorations and at least a picture (or two) of the cake with you.

DSC_0299_zpspfcnm04n.jpg

DSC_0301_zpsa1mq9coa.jpg

DSC_0302_zpse8ehfjeo.jpg

DSC_0303_zpszlnzy8lr.jpg

DSC_0304_zpsjfm8awwa.jpg

DSC_0306_zps5cwhblmw.jpg

DSC_0307_zpswrmdsr1h.jpg

DSC_0305_zpshcorm6ys.jpg

DSC_0309_zpss9kd2wnp.jpg

DSC_0310_zpsz6aphogk.jpg

DSC_0311_zpsetk7q8ym.jpg

DSC_0312_zps5hzqamuk.jpg

Needless to say we needed to have a proper birthday dinner at one of our favourite restaurants.

IMAG0144_zpsaw76pf6s.jpg

IMAG0143_zps9j3lusud.jpg

Both of these were the amuse bouche - there is a potato based spread in the little pot and a wild garlic based spread in the little glass.

IMAG0145_zpspcj5oqbm.jpg

Tom had the pan seared pike, served with white asparagus, wild garlic infused hollandaise, "some" foam and parsley potatoes.

IMAG0147_zpsfhj3idkr.jpg

I had the filet of lamb over candied walnut polenta, served with steamed green asparagus and lamb jus.

IMAG0153_zpsnbjlqp0n.jpg

Tom chose a small dessert, coffee ice cream in a cup (Frozen segafredo) topped with whipped cream

IMAG0148_zpsianpvlpa.jpg

IMAG0150_zpsrsarncx3.jpg

I had the chocolate lava cake served with raspberry sorbet. All the food was delicious.

So, I guess I should say: Nachträglich Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!!

Looks like you had a great birthday! I like the little bag that you got, very colorful! And the meal looks truly excellent! I have been indulging in asparagus for the last few weeks, it is grown locally and somehow because of the strange weather it came out very late and now there is an abundance and it is so much cheaper than in previous years. I am feeling really bad for the farmers...

ETA: Ok, looking at the picture of the whole table, I realize that the bag is not that small! At least not if your cake was not very very tiny. Still, great bag!

So, I guess I should say: Nachträglich Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!!

Looks like you had a great birthday! I like the little bag that you got, very colorful! And the meal looks truly excellent! I have been indulging in asparagus for the last few weeks, it is grown locally and somehow because of the strange weather it came out very late and now there is an abundance and it is so much cheaper than in previous years. I am feeling really bad for the farmers...

ETA: Ok, looking at the picture of the whole table, I realize that the bag is not that small! At least not if your cake was not very very tiny. Still, great bag!

Thank you, Magdalene! :goodvibes
It was a lovely weekend we had, very relaxed and with lots of yummy treats.

How funny you should mention the asparagus as we just bought more (locally grown too) for dinner over the weekend. Could not believe the prices they charged, way below average.

And yes, the bag is pretty big, I just love Britto and even though the pink would not have been my first choice, I really like the cat motive, so we went with this one.

On a side note - your coconut patties will be mailed on Tuesday. We found a little extra coconut treat for you as well and you should get it before you leave on vacation.

Getaway for a day

A week ago there was a holiday weekend here and with the weather not being all that great in May, we were hoping that it would at least clear up enough so we could go to Germany for a day.
Thursday was a rainy day and so was Friday, so we kind of had given up hope, but Saturday started out to be a nice day and after a bit of a discussion we started out a little late, but we did go through with our visit to Germany.

IMG_6378_zps5tsbmk6b.jpg

IMG_6379_zpsyzydl7qo.jpg

IMG_6380_zpsqkpx5361.jpg

IMG_6381_zpsevimqpsd.jpg

The drive is pretty scenic and we soon hit the part where the road runs right next to Danube, pretty much the views the ABD guests will see on the AMAViola next summer.

IMG_6382_zpsbsk1kw6k.jpg

IMG_6383_zpsrtjke7lk.jpg

IMG_6384_zpshxdd15ql.jpg

IMG_6385_zpssmrbozd8.jpg

IMG_6386_zpsjexv8y32.jpg

IMG_6387_zpsnmekrclv.jpg

IMG_6388_zps9ivoigcs.jpg

IMG_6389_zpsatvl9dpg.jpg

IMG_6390_zpsrbvxfehx.jpg

Loved to see that they had the old ferry boats out to cross the Danube

There was one ship I hoped to see ....... and we got lucky.

IMG_6391_zps0ay6cbii.jpg

IMG_6392_zpsgawf5zep.jpg

it is called Kristallschiff (crystal ship) and they used Swarovski crystals to decorate it. If you drive past it, you can see the crystals glittering in the sun.

IMG_6393_zpsrrw8bpa2.jpg

When we next go to Passau we want to cruise on the Danube on it. (They do day trips on it.)

IMG_6394_zps8j3xx8iv.jpg

IMG_6395_zpsk4fyvsmq.jpg

IMG_6397_zpsq1zg9fi6.jpg

IMG_6398_zps98gunw0u.jpg

Shortly before we reached Passau there is a lookout over the city, so we drove up there and snapped a few more photos.

IMG_6399_zps2jgievyc.jpg

IMG_6400_zpsk3o48ljh.jpg

IMG_6401_zpseico5ay6.jpg

Happy Birthday! Your meal looks delicious!

I love the castles in Germany. Passau looks so scenic!

Jill in CO

Getaway for a day

Very soon later we arrived in Passau.

IMG_6403_zpsaawbuufx.jpg

IMG_6404_zpsnulwln9h.jpg

And after parking the car we were off to the pedestrian area to do some window shopping.

IMG_6405_zpsaqry2lam.jpg

IMG_6406_zpsdw9cqyak.jpg

We had wanted to do a city tour on a small bus, but when we came to the bus stop our options were to get on the bus in about 15 minutes, or having lunch first and take the last bus of the day. Since we had gotten on the way late, we decided to have lunch and do the city tour another day, as there were clouds rolling in anyway.

IMG_6407_zpsmvo401zy.jpg

IMG_6408_zpstxxswen6.jpg

IMG_6409_zpsluir3vrl.jpg

IMG_6410_zpsoqk1m7d0.jpg

We both had the "Backhendlsalat" (breaded chicken strips on top of a mixed salad and some potato salad dressed with pumpkin seed oil)

IMG_6411_zpsxf1okmqs.jpg

Tom had a Frozen Cappuccino

IMG_6412_zpstqlog6br.jpg

IMG_6413_zpsketzr1s9.jpg

I had three different flavour ice-creams, topped with whipped cream and wafer biscuits.

Once we were done, the skies had cleared up again, but we decided to just walk around a bit and shop a little instead of doing the tour, leaving that for another time.

IMG_6414_zpsvyxwnqpu.jpg

IMG_6415_zpst7oujj1d.jpg

IMG_6416_zps20xgvjdn.jpg

We went in search of where a friend had lived when she was working in Passau and came across that cute "border".

IMG_6417_zpsgmaq2ult.jpg

And soon we were back in Austria and on our way home.

IMG_6418_zpsyepqrfef.jpg

IMG_6419_zpshphba1kg.jpg

Next up - vacation updates

Happy Birthday! Your meal looks delicious!

I love the castles in Germany. Passau looks so scenic!

Jill in CO

Thank you, Jill!

Passau is really cute - I just loved looking down on the city from the viewpoint - and the drive there is pretty nice too.

Thank you, Jill!

Passau is really cute - I just loved looking down on the city from the viewpoint - and the drive there is pretty nice too.

I just love Southern Germany and Austria. Everything is so picturesque!

Jill in CO

Vacation update ..........

Summer 2015

As I have let you know a few weeks ago, we had to cancel our summer holiday plans, which had included two weeks at WDW and a back to back Fantasy cruise. The thought of not having a summer vacation planned did not sit well with me, so I started to explore options. We need to stay "close" to home so the surrounding countries came into focus. And then it hit me. Tom and I had so enjoyed and loved the Cinque Terre that this quickly emerged as a favourite. So here is what we have planned for this summer now.

Starting the vacation of with a nights at Lake Garda

lake%20garda_zpsomrcd6vx.jpg

limone_zps3ayjutjt.jpg

then move on to Santa Margherita

santa_margherita_zpswssa0shq.jpg

santa-margherita1_zpstelgfbzb.jpg

from where we would like to visit

portofino_zps33kvl3wv.jpg

Portofino.
Next we are going to Manarola where we will stay for three nights

manarola1_zpsxzkde5e4.jpg

manarola_zpsei8swn3k.jpg

to enjoy the scenery

amore9_zpsn0kd0mlj.jpg

Cinque-Terre-Via_dellAmore-2415_zpswobeitrt.jpg

neighbouring villages

riomaggioreNew_zpshpw3ouk5.jpg

riomaggiore_zpszloh5zwg.jpg

Portovenere_zpsdbvhedxx.jpg

and the local specialites

food1_zpshjmgglhh.jpg

food2_zps43kw0uas.jpg

012_zpsb9bia6z8.jpg

gelato_zpsidyyoly4.jpg

after that we will move on to Florence for two nights

florence_zpsryqh67qd.jpg

Florence1_zpsm6vrpwg1.jpg

before three more nights of relaxation at an Italian costal town

RTEmagicC_bibione_copertina_04.jpeg_zpshegoiu3a.jpeg

We will then return home, stay there for 10 days before we head back to the Italian town where we usually go for weekends. There, we'll spend another 5 nights to end our summer vacation.

I just love Southern Germany and Austria. Everything is so picturesque!

Jill in CO

Living here we don't always appreciate how beautiful it actually is, but having friends here and showing them around opened our eyes for the beauty of our home country. :goodvibes

I'm sad you had to cancel your Disney plans but your Italian vacation looks awesome! I love Florence and fell in love with the Cinque Terre. You are going to have an amazing time and have some fantastic food to try!

Jill in CO

It's been quite a while since I was able to do replies, but slowly I am catching up ........

Already found joy as soon as I saw Olaf-head Thomas............ :rotfl:

I knew you'd love it! ;)

Those plan overbookings are something, I am way too obsessive to NOT do Online check-in and pick seats especially with the kids. Best airport breakfast, Karin that Eggs Benedict looked good. And the bus to the plane on the first flight:car::rotfl2:

I think they all overbook - it's common practice, it just did not really work out this time around. Lucky us that I am as obsessive as you are when it comes to do online check-in. I NEED to do it as soon as I can, even though I often pay to have my seats reserved as soon as I book.

The bus to the plane is such a laughable things. But it is because you are not allowed to walk under the airplane and even though it is only twenty steps they need to "drive" you there. :sad2:

Just want to check in and thank you for the invite! Already lots to catch up on...going to read right now..how exciting!! So happy you let me know, Karin. :flower1:

Great to have you, Christine! It was a really great trip and we enjoyed it and had such a lot of fun. I hope you won't be disappointed and am sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but as you can see, so many things happened that just cut into my DIStime.

Thanks for the shout out. I know this is going to be a wonderful trip.

Feels good to know that you are here as well, Mary Ellen! It was a really great trip and made up for quite a lot of the disappointment we had on our Med trip. ;)

OMG - Tom's breakfast sandwich looks SO amazing. I totally want that. Why can't I get a sandwich like that in the states??? Why oh why????

It tasted as good as it looked! We really enjoy that restaurant during the layover. Somewhere nice to sit and enjoy a relaxed meal.

Boo to the 5 hour layover.

Well, there are two flights that arrive in time for the trans atlantic flight, but during the colder months of the year I am always rather safe than sorry and have a 5 hour layover with a relaxed breakfast, flying out early than having just 1 hour and 50 minutes with the second flight of the day. Since it can still snow and have weather related delays that makes more sense to me. AND, there is only one direct flight to Orlando a day, so we would not want to miss that. ;)

I'm a little worried about the door now and how its going to impact your take-off.

You will find out VERY soon. ;)

I love the pictures your posted that represent each day of your trip.

:goodvibes

I'm sad you had to cancel your Disney plans but your Italian vacation looks awesome! I love Florence and fell in love with the Cinque Terre. You are going to have an amazing time and have some fantastic food to try!

Jill in CO

We didn't know of the instances that made us cancel when we first booked and we were so looking forward to going back to WDW after we had missed a summer in 2014 due to our Med cruise. So, it was a huge disappointment to both of us.
But when we came up with the Cinque Terre idea, it helped a bit. Especially since we had loved our day at the Cinque Terre last year so much. And funnily enough we did a foodie tour and that gave me the idea of going back and try more of that yummy food. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter