Think of all the joy you’ll find …….. Update - January 06

logomithgkl_zpsr0ydocuw.jpg

Day 1, August 16

Off to a great start - Part 5

When we got back dinner service had already started and since half board had been part of my deal we got ready and then went down to the dining room for dinner. We were quickly taken to our table at the back of the restaurant and handed menus. And before we knew it the head waiter was back with two glasses of

IMAG1110_zpspiq5514b.jpg

sparkling wine and after ordering we were told to help ourselves to some antipasti. There was quite the array of antipasti and we both filled a plate with it and headed back to our table.

IMAG1113_zpstbe3mnuc.jpg

IMAG1115_zpsgipsrw3u.jpg

And as soon as we sat down a waiter came and served our bottle of water and the bottle of regional

IMAG1117_zps649kioxz.jpg

white wine we had ordered. We then sat and enjoyed our wine and the antipasti and when we had finished it did not take long for our first course to arrive. Tom had ordered the

IMAG1120_zpsriovyrog.jpg

Farfalle Pasta with a smoked trout sauce, while I had ordered the

IMAG1119_zpsgq4ngcqh.jpg

Risotto Milanese. Freshly grated Parmesan cheese was sprinkled on top and we dove in. Both dishes were pretty nice, given that this was a half board menu. And we had picked a really nice wine to go with the meal as well. Once we had finished our starters we were given a little time to just enjoy sitting there before our main courses were served. Tom had ordered the

IMAG1122_zpskdufmz1s.jpg

poached bass, served with the accompaniments of the day. And we both had a good laugh when we saw what our dishes were served with, peas out of a can. There had been a commercial many moons ago which advertised them and we both repeated the catchphrase at the very same time. I had ordered the

IMAG1121_zpsfzm2h6be.jpg

Pork Saltimbocca, which came with the same, canned peas and roasted potatoes. And while the peas were a memory from times long gone, both dishes were pretty nice. There was a salad buffet, but we both did not care for it, neither did we care for the dessert buffet, which offered some very basic sheet cakes. We were some of the last people to leave the dining room. It had been a long day and instead of heading out again we decided to go back to our room for an early night. But wait, there was that balcony calling our name. So we both grabbed a beverage that we had bought earlier and I picked some of the fruit off that plate and we sat outside enjoying the cool night air and the beautiful view of the lake

DSC_0391_zpsezmefrdq.jpg

DSC_0393_zpswvn6e9gz.jpg

DSC_0394_zpsm6vbuylq.jpg

DSC_0399_zpsrrafmwjs.jpg

and the chapel high up on the mountain

DSC_0397_zpssploedrf.jpg

DSC_0402_zpsiktj2jtk.jpg

DSC_0405_zpsdugspvwu.jpg

before we finally called it a day shortly after 10pm.

To be continued ..........

Oh, what a great report! Love reading about your Italy adventure! I really really need to get myself to Lake Garda soon!! It is quite embarrassing that I really have not visited Italy that much...

Oh, what a great report! Love reading about your Italy adventure! I really really need to get myself to Lake Garda soon!! It is quite embarrassing that I really have not visited Italy that much...

I am glad you enjoy it.
We had such a great time, so I really want to share it with you here.
Lake Garda is really beautiful. I have been there as a child and young adult, but Tom had not been and really loved it. Needless to say we loved the other stops on our tour as well. You really should take Michael on an extended tour of Italy (and Austria ;)). He sure would love it.

I am not sure what half board means , is it a smaller meal plan???

Half board is very common here, it means breakfast and dinner. If you have full board you will have breakfast, lunch and dinner. Most of our hotels included breakfast (we only were self catering when we rented an apartment) and the hotel in Riva included breakfast and dinner = half board. :thumbsup2

Oh Karin, what a lovely view you have from your room.

It was beautiful. The photos don't do the view justice - I only wish we would have had more time there, but we will definitely return.

Looks like a lovely start to your trip. The view of the lake are beautiful. The funicular sounded like a great stop. The scenery is so beautiful and so different from what I am used to.

Interesting about the half/full board concept. It must be something left from ancient times when restaurants were not commonplace. We don't see that much in America, as you well know. Breakfast, yes but other meals, not so much.

Looks like a lovely start to your trip. The view of the lake are beautiful. The funicular sounded like a great stop. The scenery is so beautiful and so different from what I am used to.

It was a really awesome start and not to get ahead of myself, but it was the sign of things to come. And we had a day filled with lots of fun, bridge viewing and funicular riding included. It was awesome to see that sportsman jump down the ski jump - it is VERY high and I would die just walking out to where they sit before they jump.

Interesting about the half/full board concept. It must be something left from ancient times when restaurants were not commonplace. We don't see that much in America, as you well know. Breakfast, yes but other meals, not so much.

I think the half/full board is a European thing. Half board is still pretty common around here. Maybe not in the big chain hotels, but the smaller ones often offer it. Breakfast is always included in the price of the room, that is something that is quite different from the US.
I am not one to book half/full board as you usually only have a limited menu and I just love to explore. But I wanted a room with a balcony to begin with and the only one that was offered was part of this package, which offered a bottle of sparkling wine, a fruit plate, half board and the use of the spa for only 50€ more than a standard room (for two nights). Now that was a no brainer for us.

Day 2, August 17

I never knew Lake Garda is quite so large … Part 1

Tom had set the alarm the day before as we wanted to have a full day to explore, but we were both still tired, so off we went to dreamland for another 30 minutes.
When we got up and looked outside it was looking grey and it seemed to drizzle a bit, but we still had time until we wanted to start this day’s adventure. So we showered and got ready to head downstairs to the dining room for breakfast. There was a well-stocked buffet with all your breakfast essentials and the server told us that we could sit wherever we wanted and that it was possible to sit outside on the covered patio.

IMG_6663_zpsgpp5a1wq.jpg

That sounded pretty good, as by now it had stopped to rain. Tom got himself some coffee and I got myself a cup of hot water and bathed one of my own tea bags in it, then we got some orange juice and finally we went for something to eat. We both loaded up our plates with Italian salami, ham, cheese, butter and panini rolls and returned to our table.

IMG_6661_zpsjrbwvtwg.jpg

IMG_6662_zpsqle5htqt.jpg

Once we had finished plate one Tom went to pick up another plate of savoury food, sautéed mushrooms, courgettes, scrambled eggs and bacon,

IMG_6664_zpsb8qcritz.jpg

while I went to get myself a chocolate croissant. And after finishing our breakfast we went back to our room to pick up our stuff for the day. Our original plan for the day had been to get the car from the garage and drive around the lake stopping wherever we felt like it. But during our brief walk around the day before we had seen that you could buy a day ticket for the ships on the lake, so we decided to just leave the car where it was and go by ship. We had already missed the first ship of the day, but there was time before the next one, so after checking the weather again

IMG_6665_zps4vpgrnk2.jpg

IMG_6666_zpsujkpf2tr.jpg

we headed over to the booth to get our tickets, then ask where the next ship would leave from. We were pleased to hear that it was the paddle steamer and walked over. The skies were still grey, but once we were allowed on board

IMG_6668_zpsfzrlpixv.jpg

we found great seats on the top deck and soon we found ourselves going to Torbole, a little village close to Riva.

DSC_0408_zpsjts4we9j.jpg

IMG_6669_zpsdwlylfzj.jpg

DSC_0406_zps0cti2tyv.jpg

DSC_0411_zpshnnprlm4.jpg

IMG_6670_zpso2k4lgpw.jpg

DSC_0421_zpsxoyfgw9a.jpg

(we called it a Hidden Mickey ;) )

IMG_6671_zpscj6cyjtl.jpg

IMG_6672_zpsj98tsbsy.jpg

IMG_6673_zpshy7ifstf.jpg

While going there we were both wondering if we would be able to stay outside, as with the wind on that deck it was a bit chilly, but once we had arrived at Torbole we could see the sun coming through and it warmed up quickly.

DSC_0424_zps0embmnfp.jpg

DSC_0427_zpstd9ib1cz.jpg

DSC_0431_zpsyoxm3m5q.jpg

DSC_0429_zpsnmjf0kec.jpg

IMG_6674_zpshbwuyqlw.jpg

And with a few more tourists joining us on our trip we continued our trip to the next destination, Malcesine.

Day 2, August 17

I never knew Lake Garda is quite so large … Part 2

And with a few more tourists joining us on our trip we continued our trip to the next destination, Malcesine. The trip was really nice, now with the temperature rising we enjoyed the beautiful sights left and right of the boat.

DSC_0432_zpsyanvzuuz.jpg

IMG_6675_zpsezzrje9m.jpg

DSC_0438_zpsigumzqpj.jpg

IMG_6679_zpsnglqnlfm.jpg

IMG_6677_zpsfizwj6kw.jpg

About half an hour later we arrived at Malcesine

DSC_0459_zpso2pqqgc2.jpg

and got off as did quite a few other tourists. It is a typical small Italian village with narrow streets and houses close together and this one had a small castle right on top of a hill.

IMG_6682_zpscyqbjjb2.jpg

DSC_0460_zpskbqgmltb.jpg

DSC_0461_zpsmqstyn8g.jpg

DSC_0462_zpslihgctd4.jpg

IMG_6683_zpsffzqi6kb.jpg

IMG_6684_zpswezt8xkp.jpg

DSC_0466_zpsrsn8nc7p.jpg

DSC_0468_zpswtn3oucq.jpg

And after some exploring of the village we headed up to the castle and went right past a wedding party.

DSC_0470_zpszciwa0gr.jpg

Soon we had made it to the castle,

IMG_6686_zpsdem6hmx3.jpg

DSC_0473_zpsne0s9qv1.jpg

DSC_0477_zps3prgb2at.jpg

IMG_6687_zps7piuoe6e.jpg

but didn’t go inside because we did not have enough time.

Day 2, August 17

I never knew Lake Garda is quite so large … Part 3

Soon we had made it to the castle,but didn’t go inside because we did not have enough time.

DSC_0480_zpsthlglauo.jpg

DSC_0478_zpsbcgmvfy8.jpg

DSC_0475_zpsiiyp8lyv.jpg

DSC_0476_zps4srtbjdd.jpg

IMG_6688_zpst1jo7fg9.jpg

DSC_0484_zpszb70tb6i.jpg

DSC_0486_zpshyvo79h8.jpg

IMG_6690_zpsw66uqryf.jpg

What we did have enough time to do was enjoying some ice-cream.

DSC_0487_zpsvo8n6guj.jpg

IMG_6691_zpsq9imazbx.jpg

And while we sat and enjoyed the frozen treat the wedding party went by getting ready for the big event.

DSC_0488_zpsbvr78hcc.jpg

DSC_0489_zpsospw8hv5.jpg

DSC_0491_zpsemkwd2rb.jpg

We didn’t have time to wait for the bride as we needed to head back to catch the next ship to go to our next destination.

IMG_6692_zps8v8voabf.jpg

IMG_6693_zpsgnk3a2nd.jpg

I had thought to just go and criss cross the lake when we noticed that it would take 2 hours to go to our next stop. I had been to Lake Garda as a child, but I had not thought that it was quite that big. So we were at the pier waiting and a boat came and went but finally ours arrived, a hydrofoil.

DSC_0496_zpswegaxcvo.jpg

We, and a gazillion other people got on, but we found seats and settled in and off we went. The boat really criss crossed the lake several times in the two hours we were on board

DSC_0502_zpsnqjub4az.jpg

DSC_0508_zpsflytoqah.jpg

and finally we arrived at the southern end of the lake at the peninsular of Sirmione.

Your holiday looks so fun! I am quite an Olympic fan so I loved the ski jump area! Did they land in the grass?
Your view from your hotel room is beautiful, I love palm trees! :thumbsup2
Your meals looked great, can't wait to hear more ::yes::

Enjoyed your tour of Grand Cayman, and your Strawberry Mudslide and the Taste of Georgetown Tour sound really yummy. :woohoo: That Red Snapper looked delicious also! You had some really nice pictures of the flowers also! And of course, sampling the different varieties at the Tortuga Rum Company would be a great stop! :drinking1

Enjoying the tour of Italy updates!

Landzeit Cappuccino, a large espresso topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Anything with chocolate always deserves a big mention! :thumbsup2

Honey Berries Waffle, a fresh waffle topped with strawberries, blueberries, Canadian maple syrup and whipped sour cream topped with granola.
This looks really yummy too!

I guess they can use Disney script anywhere.......... :rotfl:

The Berg Isel looks like a fun stop, and the views after you took the funicular to the top are awe inspiring!

Sticking with a familiar theme, the Cheesespaetzle looks really tasty! ::yes::

Looks like you had a really nice room in Riva del Garda, and a super view of Lake Garda also! :goodvibes

DSC_0421_zpsxoyfgw9a.jpg

(we called it a Hidden Mickey ;) )
I've seen some posted that aren't nearly as convincing as this one, for sure! :rotfl2:

About half an hour later we arrived at Malcesine

DSC_0459_zpso2pqqgc2.jpg

and got off as did quite a few other tourists. It is a typical small Italian village with narrow streets and houses close together and this one had a small castle right on top of a hill.
Very scenic..........looks like a lovely place! :love:

What we did have enough time to do was enjoying some ice-cream.
It's always a good time for ice cream!!! :banana:

Tom is super creative!

Oh that looks divine!

So darn gorgeous!

What a cool sight.

Seriously, could it be any prettier?!

Disney font??

This is ridiculously cool. Wow!

Way too high for me:faint:

He's following you saying, "Come back to WDW!":thumbsup2

You got an awesome view!

And night view is even better!

Yep, i'd call it a hidden mickey.

So narrow, my goodness.

Even on a non Disney trip, Mickey is never far away. So, after stopping to take a photo we headed

Quite a few Disney Reminders so far. The font, the balloon and the hidden Mickey, trying to make you feel at home. :)

The views from the ski jump look incredible and scary.

You food looks wonderful and thank you for explaining half board.

The view from the balcony and ship are breathtaking.

Half board is very common here, it means breakfast and dinner. If you have full board you will have breakfast, lunch and dinner. Most of our hotels included breakfast (we only were self catering when we rented an apartment) and the hotel in Riva included breakfast and dinner = half board. :thumbsup2
I see sounds good to me , just had lunch to get on your own!!

DSC_0488_zpsbvr78hcc.jpg

What is with the hats ??? The Castle looked interesting pity you didn't have time to explore . Your breakfast of rolls and meats looked yummy, of course the eggs and bacon and eggplant as they in America call the veggie looked delish!!

Hello from Italy!

This is day 2 of our second trip to Italy this summer. No round trip this time, just enjoying some time off and doing nothing (apart from eating, that is ......:rotfl2:)

Here are a few impressions of yesterday.

IMG_7757_zpsydilxpad.jpg

IMG_7764_zpst0fszx5e.jpg

IMG_7765_zpstcdwiyiv.jpg

IMG_7767_zpsqmpkcx2u.jpg

IMG_7768_zpstq1cqzbq.jpg

IMG_7769_zpsd8lt6yqc.jpg

IMG_7775_zpsl87ru75s.jpg

Heading out for an afternoon stroll and some ice-cream now. See ya all later!

Hi Karin :wave2:

After finding out we'll be on the PC cruise together I wanted to read some of your TRs. There's a lot of familiar faces around here too, sorry I'm late to the party. I started with last year's Med cruise and I'm sooooooo glad Tom's birthday trip was so much better than that one.

How fantastic that they were able to change your flights and you're able to go on a bonus trip to F & G!!!

Too much to comment about specifically but I'm loving everything. All the birthday pixie dust was too cool. Your side trips are very fun to see.

I love all your stops for icecream, mom and I are like this as well popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter