Think of all the joy you’ll find …….. Update - January 06

Catching up and wow the caves look fabulous. Portofino looks so fabulous too.

What a lovely day! The views from the castle were beautiful. You dinner looked pretty tasty too!

Jill in CO

It was a beautiful day. And the castle and the view from there were just awesome. Yip, and we loved dinner - that restaurant for sure earned its place on Tripadvisor.::yes::

You really make me want to plan a trip to Italy now!! It all looks so wonderful - especially the food!

You really need to take Michael there once. It was beautiful and driving there was a lot of fun. :goodvibes

The views from the lighthouse were gorgeous!

It was so worth walking out there. It was such a peaceful place and the views were awesome.

The castle looked very quaint and how fabulous to practically have the place to yourselves.

We were so lucky with the timing. I mean, when we arrived there were nearly no people there, but when we left a lot of people were walking up. We really enjoyed the views from there and being able to explore without any other people there.

The churches were gorgeous, we don't have many churches like that in the U.S. so it's always a treat to see all that detail.

We have lots of churches like this here, but no matter how many you have seen they always stunn me with their beauty.

Dinner looked fantastic! popcorn::

It was delicious. We were so lucky we finally decided to go there again and were able to get a table. :thumbsup2

Oh, and that one yacht dwarfed all the other boats :laughing:

Yes, it definitely did - must have been Uncle Scrooge's. :rotfl:

I just now noticed that your Diet Coke says Light on it, how funny!

That's what it is called here - Coke light - not Diet Coke. Same thing, different names. ;)

I love how honest you guys were. Even better that they didn't have you guys pay for the items!

My philosophy - I consumed it, I'll pay for it. ;) And it did pay off, didn't it - even though I mentioned their mistake, we did not have to pay for it.

That is very cool!

That waterfall was awesome. It was so worth climbing up to see it. Guess next time we will take more time to explore even more.

Fantastic view!

The view out the window was just awesome. It so paid off to change hotels.

Yep, that is exactly what I would expect to see!

We had such a good laugh seeing that laundry hanging out there. I wonder how many fall down into the street below though. :laughing:

This sounds amazing.

OMG, those parcels were so wonderful and the walnut sauce was out of this world.

Wow this is a very different cemetery. It's pretty neat!

It was a beautiful cemetary. All white and all those flowers. And what a great way to honour the departed with a resting place with such a view.

Perfect snack!

And free as well. :rotfl2:

This glass makes me super nervous :rotfl2:

No problem there. Even though it looked like it was about to fall over every moment, it never even moved. We looked around to find some like these, but were unlucky. They looked really awesome. Oh, and btw, the digistive was delicious.

Yes! I love me a good tiramisu and what better place to get it!

:thumbsup2

happythanksgiving_zps684bc681.jpg

Wow! It's just beautiful there! And the views from the castle are amazing.

It was breathtakingly beautiful, Jen. So worth climbing up the steps and walk over to the castle. Wherever you turned there was another stunning view.

Dinner looked yummy and I am now wanting an afternoon snack

Dinner was awesome. I love Gnocci and those were wonderful little clouds of yummyness in your mouth. I wish I could go back there rather sooner than later to relive the taste.

The views are beautiful! Some of those "boats" are huge! Your dinner looked delicious!!

The views were stunning. It was so picture perfect. And we joked about some of the "boats", which dwarfed the others. :rotfl2:The food was as tasty as it looked. ::yes::

Portofino looks beautiful! All the hillls are a bit intimidating to my bad knees, though. :scared1:

It was so beautiful there. Even more than I expected. The hilly up and down does hurt you knees though, and believe me, we had to stop ever so often to catch my breath and rest my knees. ;)

Strangely enough, I am not a big fan of tiramisu, but that tiramisu you had for dessert looked really good! :Pinkbounc

I am not a huge fan of the US version of Tiramisu, but this was the real deal and just delicious. Strong rich taste of coffee in the finger biscuits and rich Mascarpone cream on top. Dessert heaven.

Catching up and wow the caves look fabulous. Portofino looks so fabulous too.

I just wish I had researched it more and planned more time to explore those caves and waterfalls. Next time we go there, maybe. We loved Portofino -it was such a beautiful little village and no car traffic at all made for a very relaxed feel.

Your gnocchi with gorganzola sounds heavenly!! Adding Tiramusi just made that meal perfect

They were so good, Rosie. I really wish we could just drive there again to have them. And the Tiramisu ........ don't remind me of it. It was so yummy!
drooling.jpg

I love that the DCL logo is on the boat :)

Would we sail any other way? ;)

Loved the calendars and am upto date !!!!

So this means I can post another update now?

Glad you enjoy the calendars - they are really fun

logomithgkl_zpsr0ydocuw.jpg
Day 5, August 20

What are the odds ... Part 1

And soon it was time to get up again and get ready for the next leg of our journey. So we took showers and at around 8am we headed down to have breakfast. Today there was a bit more going on, but we found a table, got some

IMG_7010_zpsxbsywifc.jpg

IMG_7009_zpsomgp0mgh.jpg

coffee, tea and orange juice and then headed to the buffet. There were a few other items there today and we started filling our plates. Tom had picked some

IMG_7008_zpsrx9x3fis.jpg

ham and cheese, cucumber and tomato slices and some yellow peppers, a slice of Frittata, a boiled egg that had been seasoned with Balsamic, some Russian Salad and of course some panini. I had picked

IMG_7007_zpsr3jc5zc4.jpg

ham and cheese as well, Russian Salad, tomato slices, another piece of Frittata and some cherry tomatoes and mozzarella balls that had been marinated. Everything was really good and needless to say we had to go back for seconds. Tom felt like something sweet, so he had a slice of

IMG_7011_zpscbaxwyr7.jpg

water melon, a Panini and some butter and cherry jam, while I went and got myself a

IMG_7013_zpsgftrjfet.jpg

chocolate croissant and a jam filled one. We sat there for quite some time enjoying our breakfast and just wasting time. Well, we just had to.
We knew that we could not move into our apartment in Vernazza before 2pm and it would only be a short drive there.
So once we had finished breakfast, we headed to the front desk and asked if it was a problem if we only checked out shortly before check out time, which was noon. They had no problem with us leaving our stuff in the room and after a short visit to the room

DSC_0866%20-%20Kopie_zpskafpo8om.jpg

DSC_0868%20-%20Kopie_zps9acjkjcg.jpg

DSC_0870%20-%20Kopie_zps3ik5ftrb.jpg

DSC_0877%20-%20Kopie_zpssjgbphcf.jpg

we handed in our key

IMG_7014_zpsbrxmbp7o.jpg

(they don’t like you to take the key with you) and went out again to have another stroll through town. First off we headed along the beach promenade going towards where the boats to Portofino leave.

DSC_0880%20-%20Kopie_zpsmf7te6gr.jpg

DSC_0881%20-%20Kopie_zpsa9fi26ig.jpg

DSC_0883%20-%20Kopie_zps0yqzkorv.jpg

DSC_0885%20-%20Kopie_zps5y3rb6lt.jpg

DSC_0886%20-%20Kopie_zpsa0oe8shh.jpg

There was a boat sitting there waiting to leave and it was already full of happy people.

IMG_7015_zpsume3dxyt.jpg

We walked further on towards the far end of the city, enjoying the view of the sea.

IMG_7016_zps5yohyxix.jpg

IMG_7017_zpsu2r3fygf.jpg

IMG_7018_zpsnqftcwhd.jpg

IMG_7019_zpszprmybhs.jpg

We took our time strolling along, stopping ever so often to take in the beautiful views. After we finally turned around and walked back we decided to walk along the little shops on the other side of the road. Soon enough we found ourselves in front of a small hill with a church on top. Well, why not walk up there. The church was dedicated to the fishermen and it was small, but with the light colours and many windows it felt so well lit and airy. Needless to say, since they had candles to light, that’s what we did.

DSC_0887%20-%20Kopie_zpscpnstfn6.jpg

DSC_0888%20-%20Kopie_zpsjtige7fn.jpg

DSC_0889%20-%20Kopie_zpsmlr2k9v7.jpg

DSC_0890%20-%20Kopie_zpsveexfxaz.jpg

DSC_0891_zpsrtto8zl6.jpg

DSC_0892_zpsmpzv65ue.jpg

IMG_7021_zpszkzihxbx.jpg

IMG_7022_zpskpgiknri.jpg

IMG_7020_zpspkfaotol.jpg

DSC_0893_zpskyphabii.jpg

Once we left we headed along the uphill climbing pathway to another church that was right above the one we had just visited.

To be continued ..........

Day 5, August 20

What are the odds ... Part 2

Once we left we headed along the uphill climbing pathway

IMG_7024_zps8zb5cwqm.jpg

to another church that was right above the one we had just visited.

IMG_7023_zpsquscse4o.jpg

It was beautiful, but really different to the one we had been in a few minutes ago.

DSC_0901_zpswieeepue.jpg

DSC_0902_zpsbg0bjogt.jpg

DSC_0903_zpspad5rkgx.jpg

Again we took a few minutes to look around before heading back out into the heat again.
A few steps on there was a tower, guess it used to be a watchtower a long time ago and it was sad to see that it was closed because of safety reasons. I am sure you would have had an absolutely amazing view from there.

IMG_7025_zpsqncbmed0.jpg

IMG_7027_zpsujmcx4f9.jpg

DSC_0904_zpspszbha5o.jpg

IMG_7032_zpsc21wshua.jpg

We still had some time left before we had to leave, so why not have another ice-cream before it would finally be time to say goodbye.

DSC_0905_zpsu4x6jdbf.jpg

DSC_0906_zpslpr07pdy.jpg

DSC_0907_zpss8d22qxg.jpg

Most of the gelaterias were not open yet, but we finally found one that was open and had outdoor seating.

IMG_7033_zpszc7quziu.jpg

There was no menu on the table, so we asked for one and what the server brought out, was a HUGE binder with about 50 pages of sundaes, coffees, drinks and everything else. Finally I ended up with just picking

IMG_7034_zpsopiucw1f.jpg

three flavours inside the shop. One was hazelnut, one was pistachio and one was cinnamon, which he didn’t know to explain to me, when I ordered and I got a spoonful to taste. After that I was sold. I also ordered some

IMG_7036_zpssbkvsa0t.jpg

Diet Coke and Tom had a

IMG_7035_zpskifdamw8.jpg

cappuccino. And while we sat there enjoying our ice-cream we pitied the server, as he had to sell ice-cream by the cone inside the shop as well as server the customers at the tables. He was quite stressed by it. And it showed, as when we had finished our drinks and ice-cream and we asked for the bill it took about 10 minutes until he had actually time to come and bring our bill and be paid.
We now only had about half an hour left, so we walked right over to the little garage where our car was parked.

IMG_7037_zpsqiexveeh.jpg

IMG_7038_zpsa0eltbxm.jpg

If you park it there, you need to hand in your key as space is VERY limited and they juggle the cars around to get in as many as possible. It was just a 3 minute walk there and it still amazed me how narrow that little street actually was. Once we were at the garage we pointed out our car, which was at the very back, to the attendant and he started shuffling cars around. He actually had to move 6 cars to be able to drive ours out, but finally it was done and we got in and drove back to the hotel. There is a pretty small loading area for guests in front of the hotel and we parked there, let the front deck know we were just bringing down our luggage and went back to the room to retrieve it. Once we had it all in the car it was now time to bid our farewell to Santa Margherita and got on our way to Vernazza.
We had rented a small apartment there and we needed to meet someone at a restaurant around the corner of the apartment building to get the keys and drive our car into their garage as you are not allowed to drive into Vernazza without a permit. So with that in mind we didn’t want to be there too early, so the host would be there when we arrived. Therefore we had decided to just enjoy the drive and take our time. First off we needed to drive back the same way we had come into Santa Margherita and it was a really beautiful drive all the way back to Rapallo,

IMG_7039_zpsp9bio0gx.jpg

which was jammed with traffic again. But it gave us a chance to find a gas station to fill up the car, as there are no gas stations in the Cinque Terre. Car filled up we soon found ourselves on a country road going towards Vernazza.
We were chatting and enjoying the countryside

IMG_7040_zpszkr0sy1t.jpg

IMG_7041_zpsvz0ajosj.jpg

IMG_7043_zpssk1tpnor.jpg

and we thought of the man who had inspired us to go on this trip, Umberto, our tour guide from the year before, who had just captured us with his love and knowledge for the area. And we joked how funny it would be if we ran into him and one of his tour groups in Vernazza.
We had three days to spend in this tiny village, but what would be the odds to run into him?

So beautiful again!! Every time you post a new update I think I need to go there as soon as possible! I am just rather scared of how I would get around Italy without knowing any Italian...

I am guessing that you definitely ran into Umberto multiple times! I was actually thinking about that tour the other day as Michael and I are thinking of doing a Med cruise this summer and that was one excursion that sounded just fabulous. Of course, Cinque Terre also seems to be an area that is easy to just explore on your own and save money.

What a lovely morning! I loved the balcony with the pink flowers overflowing, so beautiful. The car park is interesting. I guess they have to utilize space creatively. How did you find out about the required permit in Vernazza? Did the person you rented the apartment from tell you or is it common knowledge?

The differences in all the churches are lovely.

I think you definitely run into Umberto.

Such a beautiful area of Italy! @Flossbolna its really no issue to travel there without knowing Italian. I found that I could usually find someone in the tourist areas that spoke English or I picked up enough Italian words to fake it. :)

Jill in CO

Such a beautiful area and I especially love the palm tree photos, palm trees are my favorite! The church floors with the inlays is so interesting as well.
Hmm, I am thinking you see Umberto! Can't wait to see if we are right... :thumbsup2

So beautiful again!! Every time you post a new update I think I need to go there as soon as possible! I am just rather scared of how I would get around Italy without knowing any Italian...

We really enjoyed this vacation. There were so many things to discover and we were so lucky the weather was as nice as it ws.
My Italian ends at Lasagna :rotfl2:and we did not have one single problem. Most people either speak English or German.

I am guessing that you definitely ran into Umberto multiple times!

;)

I was actually thinking about that tour the other day as Michael and I are thinking of doing a Med cruise this summer and that was one excursion that sounded just fabulous. Of course, Cinque Terre also seems to be an area that is easy to just explore on your own and save money.

While you can do Cinque Terre on your own I would highly recommend taking a tour. All the background stories and history Umberto shared with us made the area really come to life. Being on a food tour was the icing on the cake for us. ;) Umberto does regular tours as well and I would not think twice about booking a tour with him again. He is the BEST!

What a lovely morning! I loved the balcony with the pink flowers overflowing, so beautiful.

It was so fun just to waste time and explore without having to "go" somewhere for the morning. And I just loved all the lush flowers everywhere. Austria is beautiful and loads of green here, but these are flowers that are more common in the Med and it gives me that holiday feeling.

The car park is interesting.

I did NOT call it interesting - I called it MIGHTY - mighty small to be correct. :rotfl2:

How did you find out about the required permit in Vernazza? Did the person you rented the apartment from tell you or is it common knowledge?

When we visited in 2014 we noticed that there were no cars, so we kind of knew that driving into the villages would not be possible. I then read up on it and was amazed to find a place that actually offered private parking. And we were pleased with our decision as you will find out lateron. ;)

The differences in all the churches are lovely.

We are used to that kind of churches but some of the ones we visited were just stunning.

I think you definitely run into Umberto.

;)

Such a beautiful area of Italy!

It was awesome. I picked Santa Margherita "by accident", as it offered the accommodation amenities I wanted. And we were in awe driving from one vacation destination to the next.

I found that I could usually find someone in the tourist areas that spoke English or I picked up enough Italian words to fake it. :)

We never had a problem. Many speak either English or German and the VERY few times they didn't we were able to make ourselves understood with body language. :goodvibes

Such a beautiful area and I especially love the palm tree photos, palm trees are my favorite!

Palm trees mean vacation to me. I just love their "green" against the blue skies. :thumbsup2

The church floors with the inlays is so interesting as well.

They were so beautiful. I can only imagine how much work went into them.

Hmm, I am thinking you see Umberto! Can't wait to see if we are right... :thumbsup2

;)

Day 5, August 20

What are the odds ... Part 3

We had three days to spend in this tiny village, but what would be the odds to run into him?
And while we were still having fun talking about it we could see the road ahead of us getting narrower and narrower. And picture this narrow road on the side of the mountain and the steep way going down. It was quite frightening, but none the less we would still be early, so driving extra slow was not a problem.

IMG_7047_zpswwzpd3d4.jpg

IMG_7049_zpsazqyabrs.jpg

IMG_7050_zpsafid9l7k.jpg

There was just one more thing we needed to get done before we finally headed into Vernazza, we needed to do some grocery shopping. I had done research if Vernazza had a grocery store, and while I was pretty sure there had to be one, I did not find any information if there was or not, so we had decided to just pick up some provisions on the way. Now, we had been driving for a while and even crossed some villages, but there were no grocery stores in any of them, which had us kind of worried. But when we finally drove through a little larger village, like 5 crossing roads large, we noticed a grocery store advertisement. At the store there was even a parking spot and we pulled right in without even looking around too much, but we soon found an employee waving us toward the back, where the real parking space was.
It was even quite big for the circumstances and we soon had our car parked. Now picture this, you are in this tiny village in Cinque Terre and you visit a supermarket and the car in the opposite row was from Austria as well.

IMG_7046_zpsfykccmgk.jpg

Small world, indeed. Well, we headed inside and picked up some fruit, veggies, bread, butter, cold cuts and some drinks and after loading them into the car we were on our way again. And right as we got in, we got a text from the person we were going to meet, that he might be late, as the trains were not running on time and to give him a call once we arrived. Okay, we still had a bit of road ahead of us, so we were not too worried.
I got really worried though, just a few minutes later when we finally got to the road that led down to Vernazza. It was narrow, and I mean really narrow and winding. Sometimes so narrow, there was only one lane.

DSC_0909_zpswaoirwht.jpg

IMG_7051_zpst3rb2gms.jpg

IMG_7052_zpsfudbskfe.jpg

DSC_0910_zpsccqq5naa.jpg

IMG_7056_zpsbgvpcbo6.jpg

IMG_7057_zpsdulybi1t.jpg

IMG_7060_zpsjk9dwu8d.jpg

IMG_7061_zps8uvcknz5.jpg

IMG_7063_zpsgwetcasq.jpg

IMG_7064_zps9wa7yv5d.jpg

We found ourselves behind some bikers for a while and were not able to overtake, as the road was so narrow. I was so scared that someone might drive in the opposite direction and one of us would have to drive in reverse, with the steep slope right next to you.
But finally we made it to the public parking outside of Vernazza. From there it is still a 20 minute walk downhill into the town, so we were happy we had parking reserved in town and we kind of let the car roll down the street pretty slowly as it was very narrow again and people were walking up and down there.
We had checked out the area on google earth before and soon we saw the parking area outside the apartment complex where we had booked our small flat. There was no parking outside available, so Tom parked in “second row” and stayed in the car. It was so hot there, so I got out and tried to call the “key – guy”.
Yikes, there was no mobile reception.
So I walked around a bit trying to pick one up, and finally found a spot where I could try. It would ring, and you could hear someone picking up, but that was it. So I sent him a text.
No answer.
I had a contact address in Vernazza, so Tom stayed put in the car and I headed into town. I had walked all the way down to the train station, when I got a call from our “key – guy”. He was on his way, but he would be late and should police arrive and tell us to leave, we should just call him and he would clear things up.
Yikes, that didn’t sound well.
I headed back up to Tom, well, I wasn’t all that fast, as it was hot and all the way uphill. When I arrived where I could see our car I was a bit shocked, as there was a white car parked behind ours and I was afraid that would be the police. But on second look there were no emergency lights on the roof, so I was kind of relieved. I got back to the car and told Tom that we would have to wait for the “key – guy” to arrive.
I stayed outside the car and we talked through the open window. And while we were waiting I kept looking at the house we would be staying at for the next three nights and I caught a glimpse of the white van behind us as well.

IMG_7067_zpsc2pnexnq.jpg

Well, I had a second closer look, then turned to Tom and asked if he could see the white van behind him in his back mirror and if he could see the driver. He could, but the driver did not look familiar to him.
Funnily enough he looked very familiar to me.
He looked just like Umberto, the very Umberto we had talked about that morning and thought how fun it would be to run into him while in Vernazza.
I took another look and then another and finally mustered up the force to walk to the van and up to the open window and ask if the driver WAS Umberto. He looked at me and answered that, yes, indeed he was Umberto the tour-guide and had we not been on a tour with him the year before.
I was shocked he would remember us, but he did and he got out of his car and so did Tom and hugs were in order and we stood there, chatting.
Umberto was very happy to hear that we had been so impressed by his tour that we had now returned to stay here for three nights. All too soon his guests, who he had taken to the village to explore on their own, returned and we sadly had to say our goodbyes.
A short while after Umberto had driven off we got another phone call from our “key – guy”.
I could understand that he had arrived and where were we? Well, we were the only car sitting in second lane. I walked over to the house and finally we were able to say hello to the “key – guy”, while Tom drove around to the entrance to the garage, where we had rented a spot.
Boy, was it hard getting into the garage.
First off, Tom had to back up again to finally be able to turn into the drive and then it was very steep, with a slippery road surface and it was winding very narrowly as well. You could see where cars had hit the sides of the drive and with a lot of care, Tom made it up to the first floor (second US floor) where the parking was. The spot was tiny and our car just fit into it. Then it was up to see the apartment.
We used an elevator to go up and then headed into a fenced off garden with a nice outdoor sitting area with a table and four chairs and a porch swing.

IMG_7074%20-%20Kopie_zpsnfgwnxmd.jpg

IMG_7075%20-%20Kopie_zpsfvb0tipk.jpg

IMG_7076%20-%20Kopie_zps3glpmnvy.jpg

And while we were taking a look we learned that these belonged to our property only, so we were free to use it whenever we wanted to. Great! Then he opened the door

IMG_7077%20-%20Kopie_zpslqbx9svw.jpg

and the flat was really cute. The door opened into a dining/living room area, with the kitchen to the right,

IMG_7321_zpsysb9kb4h.jpg

IMG_7322_zpssv7hbh9t.jpg

IMG_7325_zpsd8is3sc8.jpg

IMG_7326_zpslc8mjaqi.jpg

IMG_7324_zpsmutre4q8.jpg

IMG_7327_zps7wtnbttb.jpg

IMG_7328_zps1x3c9om6.jpg

IMG_7330_zpsk3mso9cb.jpg

IMG_7332_zpsoneunf2f.jpg

then a few steps up and a bathroom/shower on the right

IMG_7068%20-%20Kopie_zpsmi4hxuus.jpg

IMG_7069%20-%20Kopie_zpsajwrdedm.jpg

IMG_7070%20-%20Kopie_zpsm7refuq5.jpg

and a few more steps up into a bedroom.

IMG_7072%20-%20Kopie_zps897dvrfe.jpg

It was cute. We were told that since it was so hot the AC was working, but only on low to conserve energy. That was okay with us and we paid for the room and parking, which was a bit nerve wrecking as the internet connection was less than brilliant and it took a few attempts for my credit card to go through, but after a few minutes the “key – guy” left the keys in our hands and said his goodbye. We then went to carry up all our belongings and unpack.

Day 5, August 20

What are the odds ... Part 4

We then went to carry up all our belongings and unpack. When we were back in the apartment, Tom discovered that the AC was not on low, it was not on at all and it would not work either.
All there was, was a fan, so we took that to the bedroom to cool it down a bit and just opened the door to the balcony in the dining room. And then we discovered something missing.
And while it was in the apartment description there was definitely no TV in the flat.
Thankfully we travel with computers and Tom brings loads of stuff to view, so at least we were set there.
We needed a little rest and a drink, so Tom had one of the beers we had purchased earlier after it had been in the freezer for a while and I had some Diet Coke and a peach.

IMG_7079%20-%20Kopie_zpszl1ijdsd.jpg

And after about an hour and a half of enjoying our new home, we headed out and into the town again to refresh our memory of it and explore. The town of Vernazza is tiny as are all the Cinque Terre towns, so it did not take long to walk all the way down to the ocean. When we walked down, there were still a lot of tourists around, but many of them were heading to the train station already. We explored the shops on the way down and guess what, there was a small grocery store and even a butcher there, as well as several bakeries, so we knew we would not be starving those three days. Soon we stood at the harbour and enjoyed to look around as it brought back so many beautiful memories of that day in Vernazza with Umberto a year ago.

IMG_7080%20-%20Kopie_zps4zrsxatj.jpg

IMG_7081%20-%20Kopie_zpselcpgnms.jpg

IMG_7082%20-%20Kopie_zpsutuphlwa.jpg

IMG_7083%20-%20Kopie_zpszeqk64ps.jpg

IMG_7084%20-%20Kopie_zpsmonytbop.jpg

IMG_7085%20-%20Kopie_zpsjze0wttw.jpg

We strolled around the area for a bit and then went to the very bar, where we had had a great break last year. There are only three tables inside and we were lucky enough that one was empty, and we ordered some of the

IMG_7086_zps9u9yjpnf.jpg

Cinque Terre wine and sat and enjoyed it. Once we had paid the bill we decided to head back to our apartment and have an early and relaxing night. But not without picking up a few more items on the way back. We stopped at a few places to get some more treats. It took a bit longer getting back to the apartment as all the way it is uphill,

IMG_7087_zpsqitonpmd.jpg

but thankfully, as I mentioned before, the town is pretty small. Once back we refreshed, then washed the plates we needed for dinner and laid the table to have dinner. There was some

IMG_7088_zpsryzzzfhb.jpg

fried fish and calamari from the fry shop, some

IMG_7089_zpsueth9kno.jpg

olives and

IMG_7091_zpslyxxol3n.jpg

Russian salad from the butcher, the

IMG_7090_zpslt4nalyz.jpg

prosciutto and salami that we had bought earlier in the day and several pieces of

IMG_7093_zpsj69dnfrj.jpg

IMG_7094_zpsudb8c07z.jpg

IMG_7095_zpswu1cbil0.jpg

Focaccia to share. It was a really delicious dinner and when we were done we thought that since we had a dishwasher, why not put all the dishes in the dishwasher and while they are washed we could sit outside and enjoy the early evening. So we emptied out the cupboards and put whatever fit into the dishwasher, tab into compartment, close door and ……. nothing. Okay, let’s try that again. Same result.
So we looked if the dishwasher was plugged in and no it was not. We tried to plug it in but the actual plug would not fit in the socket. Hm, the dishwasher has a German plug and the socket is an Italian one. Well, we do travel with an assortment of plugs and quickly found a German one.
Plugged in the dishwasher and pushed the start button and …………. it blows the fuse! Thankfully Tom was able to find the emergency button for the electricity and everything went back to normal again, just the dishwasher was sitting there, not working.
So, we knew what we would have to do later that evening, yikes, but there was no way around washing all the dishes by hand, but for now we poured ourselves a

IMG_7100_zpsfi1qpuwp.jpg

glass of wine and grabbed

IMG_7098_zpsy4qzzxig.jpg

something sweet and went out into our garden, where we saw one of the vineyard workers using his “transport”.

IMG_7096_zpszjeyq0he.jpg

We sat on the garden swing for quite some time

IMG_7102_zps8vtvvyc2.jpg

IMG_7103_zps7gp1qjdx.jpg

until it got completely dark, then went back inside, cleaned up and had an early night, which meant watching “computer TV” in bed.

Sounds like a charming little area if you can do stairs, but a shame that the promised amenities either didn't work or weren't present at all. The food looked and sounded delicious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter