Think concerts and events are expensive now. . . .

My sister came across this thread and asked me to respond. As an "insider" for over 12 years (I'm now out of the business and am no longer held by the non-disclosure clause). I have a little insight on how Ticketmaster works. Ticketmaster does NOT set the price of tickets. Neither does the venue. The promoter/artist decides the ticket prices. For example: If a band (let's just call them SNOT for now) asks for $500,000.00 to play a venue and the operating costs for a concert for that venue is $12,500.00 (includes staffing, security, lights, electricity, etc.) for a concert night then the show must make a MINIMUM of $112,500.00 for that show to break even. That means if the venue only seats 10,000 then the tickets have to be a minimum of $51.25 per show. This is before the taxes are paid to the particular state (sales and entertainment taxes). The Ticketmaster fee is a fee passed on to the consumer for the venue's use of the Ticketmaster system and ticketing stock. It ranges (depending on base ticket price) from $2.00 to $5.00 per ticket. This fee is the ONLY money Ticketmaster recieves from the sale of that ticket. The Venue or Facility fees go directly to the venue to help defer the cost of marketing and staffing prior to the concert. There is a lot more complicated ins and outs of the whole shebang, but that's the basic idea. WE NEED TO BE ANGRY WITH THE PROMOTERS AND ARTISTS ON THE RIDICULOUSLY HIGH TICKET PRICES NOT THE VENUE OR TICKETMASTER!!!

You an almost always buy direct from the venue in person and on the phone and avoid ticketmaster fees, I usually look on tickemaster to see what shows look interesting in my area, then go to the venue for tickets, you can almost always get better deals this way as well and yes, there are sometimes that this won't work, but most of the time it will. Another way to get better deals are sites like http://www.goldstarevents.com (if they sell for your area) that sells tickets for 1/2 price or less.

My sister came across this thread and asked me to respond. As an "insider" for over 12 years (I'm now out of the business and am no longer held by the non-disclosure clause). I have a little insight on how Ticketmaster works. Ticketmaster does NOT set the price of tickets. Neither does the venue. The promoter/artist decides the ticket prices. For example: If a band (let's just call them SNOT for now) asks for $500,000.00 to play a venue and the operating costs for a concert for that venue is $12,500.00 (includes staffing, security, lights, electricity, etc.) for a concert night then the show must make a MINIMUM of $112,500.00 for that show to break even. That means if the venue only seats 10,000 then the tickets have to be a minimum of $51.25 per show. This is before the taxes are paid to the particular state (sales and entertainment taxes). The Ticketmaster fee is a fee passed on to the consumer for the venue's use of the Ticketmaster system and ticketing stock. It ranges (depending on base ticket price) from $2.00 to $5.00 per ticket. This fee is the ONLY money Ticketmaster recieves from the sale of that ticket. The Venue or Facility fees go directly to the venue to help defer the cost of marketing and staffing prior to the concert. There is a lot more complicated ins and outs of the whole shebang, but that's the basic idea. WE NEED TO BE ANGRY WITH THE PROMOTERS AND ARTISTS ON THE RIDICULOUSLY HIGH TICKET PRICES NOT THE VENUE OR TICKETMASTER!!!

This doesn't make any sense. How come I pay a lot less when I buy my ticket at the ticket office where the concert is being held. I pay face value, I'm not paying an extra $40 a ticket. Your telling us, TicketMaster is giving all these fee's back to the promoters and artists? I have a hard time believing that.

This doesn't make any sense. How come I pay a lot less when I buy my ticket at the ticket office where the concert is being held. I pay face value, I'm not paying an extra $40 a ticket. Your telling us, TicketMaster is giving all these fee's back to the promoters and artists? I have a hard time believing that.

Exactly. Ticketmaster, tickets.com, etc. are completely outrageous.

I attempted to get Billy Joel/Elton John tix for Wrigley today. The tickets.com site yanked my chain for a good 40 minutes before I could get through. When I did get through, it would be $412 for 2 tickets in the upper deck. $62 of that went to "convenience" fees. We didn't buy the tickets. For as much as I would be able to see from those seats, we'll go and hang out outside the stadium and listen to the concert for free.

Ticketmaster is already alloting tickets to their own TicketsNow site where you have to pay scalpers prices.

Also known as "market value." It is more efficient for people to pay what the tickets are worth to them than to have the prices artificially set.

So you pay an extra $40 fee per ticket to ticket master? The most I have every paid in a ticket master fee is $5 per ticket. I also paid $8.95 for shipping or more if I wanted it next day. Are you sure the $40 is a ticket master fee only? and is this per ticket?

I already thought it was ridiculous when I bought 2 tickets to see Morrissey this coming March. Ticket price was $35 each, but all those wonderful fees brought my total to $104.94 :sad2:

that's exactly why we're not sure we're going to the Morrissey show this year! I hated paying that much 2 years ago when we saw him and am not sure I want to pay it now...That's why I've always hated Ticketmaster...those ridiculous fees...:scared1:

I attempted to get Billy Joel/Elton John tix for Wrigley today. The tickets.com site yanked my chain for a good 40 minutes before I could get through. When I did get through, it would be $412 for 2 tickets in the upper deck. $62 of that went to "convenience" fees. We didn't buy the tickets. For as much as I would be able to see from those seats, we'll go and hang out outside the stadium and listen to the concert for free.

I have been to the Billy Joel/Elton John concert and it was FANTASTIC! but ouch on the $412 price.

but dont be confused by "convenience" fee and think it is all ticket master fees/profit. I know at my local arena that the fees are all lumped together as one and not itemized. This includes...$5 ticketmaster fee, a $3 facility fee, a $3 parking fee plus a CC fee that is based on the ticket price. All of these fees are added to each ticket I purchase. So If I am buying from the venue instead of ticketmaster I am only saving the $5 fee per ticket. I still have to pay all of the other "convenience" fees. This can add up quickly if I am buying multiple tickets. Thats why we go to blockbuster now! LOL!

Doesn't seem very CONVENIENT to me :rolleyes1.
agnes!

about the fees...someone said they are only between $3-5??? yeah right...I always have to pay between $6-11 per tickets for fees...it's ridiculous!

Does ticketmaster have a set fee? I always pay a $5 ticketmaster fee. Does it change depending on the venue?

Does ticketmaster have a set fee? I always pay a $5 ticketmaster fee. Does it change depending on the venue?

Venue and price of ticket. The higher the ticket the higher the fees.

I keep all of my ticket stubs as souvenirs...so I'm going to go through and post what they have printed on them...Make of it what you will:

1998:
Elton John - $39.50, fee $5.75

2001:
Rod Stewart - $82.75, fee $0.00

2002:
Billy Joel and Elton John - $85.00, fee $8.60
Paul McCartney - $91.50, fee $9.30

2004:
David Bowie - $56.00, fee $0.00
Carole King - $125.00, fee $0.00

2005:
Duran Duran - $45.00, fee $6.00
Sting - $66.00, fee $6.50
Rod Stewart - $98.25, fee $6.50
Aerosmith - $127.50, fee $6.50
Bon Jovi - $95.00, fee $6.75
U2 - $97.00, fee $9.85

2006:
James Taylor - $85.00, fee $6.75
Ringo Starr - $30.00, fee $5.25
Eric Clapton - $150.00, fee $6.75

2007:
The Police - $93.00, fee $10.60

2008:
Bon Jovi - $166.50, fee $7.25
Carole King - $129.00, fee $14.40
Stevie Nicks - $76.50, fee $7.25
Tina Turner - $152.25, fee $20.10 :scared1:
Duran Duran - $45.00, fee $9.80

THIS is the reason we don't go to concerts. The last concert DH and I attended was over a year ago when we saw TransSiberian Orchestra. We were able to get decent seats at the last minute, but only by going straight to the venue ticket office. Same thing for when we saw Barry Manilow in concert on his last two tours. We don't mess with Ticketmaster if we can help it because we always feel like we've been robbed.

I keep all of my ticket stubs as souvenirs...so I'm going to go through and post what they have printed on them...Make of it what you will:

1998:
Elton John - $39.50, fee $5.75

2001:
Rod Stewart - $82.75, fee $0.00

2002:
Billy Joel and Elton John - $85.00, fee $8.60
Paul McCartney - $91.50, fee $9.30

2004:
David Bowie - $56.00, fee $0.00
Carole King - $125.00, fee $0.00

2005:
Duran Duran - $45.00, fee $6.00
Sting - $66.00, fee $6.50
Rod Stewart - $98.25, fee $6.50
Aerosmith - $127.50, fee $6.50
Bon Jovi - $95.00, fee $6.75
U2 - $97.00, fee $9.85

2006:
James Taylor - $85.00, fee $6.75
Ringo Starr - $30.00, fee $5.25
Eric Clapton - $150.00, fee $6.75

2007:
The Police - $93.00, fee $10.60

2008:
Bon Jovi - $166.50, fee $7.25
Carole King - $129.00, fee $14.40
Stevie Nicks - $76.50, fee $7.25
Tina Turner - $152.25, fee $20.10 :scared1:
Duran Duran - $45.00, fee $9.80

I think 2006 was an exceptionally good year. :thumbsup2

Was the fee only the ticketmaster fee or did it include other fees like a venue charge, parking, shiping, will-call fee...some of those fees ticketmaster has no control over.

I dont dispute that ticket prices and the fees have gotten out of hand. I just don't think it is just a ticketmaster issue.

Have seen Billy Joel 7 times...back when tickets were reasonable! :mad: And even then, $40 at MSG was a lot of money.

Last time Toby Keith was around here I was floored. The sections close to the stage were a "package" deal. Seat, mug, and some other ridiculous thing for the "bargain" price of...$300! :faint: This was through Ticketmaster.

The front rows...they were auctioned through Ticketmaster. :mad: I lost out on my bid real fast. :mad:

I tried to get tickets the first day. Couldn't manage to get any seats in the center section. What's with that? Are they holding them? Only the lousy seats on the sides. We sat in one of those sections previously. NEVER again. Those seats should be sold for $5.

They can't just name their own price. They'd love to charge a million dollars per ticket, but they wouldn't sell too many of them at that price.

They charge only as much as they can get people to pay. If people are willing to pay for it and they're willing to sell it, I see no problem.

It sucks when you can't afford to pay what others can, but that's life in the big city, little beaver.

That said, I wouldn't pay the prices these guys charge in a gazillion years. DH said Elton John and Billy Joel were touring together but the seats were like $800 each. Puhleeze. Not paying that. IMO, nobody is worth that...
Last time Toby Keith was around here I was floored. The sections close to the stage were a "package" deal. Seat, mug, and some other ridiculous thing for the "bargain" price of...$300!

...except him. I'll still pay to see Toby.

The big problem with anti-trust lawsuits right now is that many industries are operating at such low margins that competition result in bankruptcy. Anti-trust laws preclude mergers and acquisitions that would result in an anti-competitive situation, but there are no laws against having all your competitors go out of business because of a bad economy. And the impact of that is that the anti-trust laws that preclude mergers and acquisitions are weakened when one of the companies involved in a merger or acquisition can show that they are very likely to go under otherwise. The courts have no interest in obstructing efforts to keep a business operating as a going concern, even if it means making it part of a competitor.

And folks need to keep in mind that, as unique as they consider the specific services offered by a specific vendor, that's not supported by the law. The law considered satellite television and cable television as competitors to each other, even though, for example, you cannot use a TiVo HD DVR with satellite television. (That's a real-live example of what some people claim should invalidate the parallel the law draws between satellite television and cable television.) However, the reality is that a consumer cannot impose their own personal preferences within a context in the demonstration that there is a lack of competition. Comparables are discovered at the very highest level, i.e., in the case of my example, "subscription television service" is the service -- not "cable television service" because the latter reflects a personal choice for cable over satellite.

That basically means that as long as there are significant sources for live concert tickets other than Ticketmaster, even though they're for concerts in completely different genres of music, they're still live concerts, and so the selling of tickets for live concerts can be considered effectively competitive. It is only the music fan's own choice, about what kinds of music they like to see performed live, that makes it seem like there is a lack of competition. No question that a Leona Lewis fan would like the marketplace to be defined as "providers of live concert tickets for Leona Lewis concerts in my city" but that's not the way the law works. The fact that Hall and Oates is playing at the Orpheum, or The Ting Tings are playing at Paradise, and that you can get tickets to those shows some way other than through Ticketmaster, will put a damper on anti-trust actions against this deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter