Things you wish you knew(or glad you did) for your first DCL cruise

harleyquinn

<font color=red>Wishes she could take photos of th
I'm very exited to be taking my very first cruise and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Can you share things that ask newbies need to know?

TIA!!

Be prepared for gratuities thes will have to be paid it is not part of your cruise cost... Take your time and let your vacation come to you if you rush around your cruise will be over soon... Remeber time should slow down in vacation not speed up... Listn and watch these boards they are very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks!! Are there ship-specific Faq threads like the resorts? I looked at the giant FAQ thread and didn't see any.

The reason there aren't many ship specific FAQs listed is most of it is in common between the four ships.

I have the google doc from that thread!!

Most of my initial worries were transportation based and I realized I can't do anything there until I book flights. We are cruising out of POM and I don't know if MIA or FLL will be cheaper.

I'm learning a lot reading through the threads!

Most of my initial worries were transportation based and I realized I can't do anything there until I book flights. We are cruising out of POM and I don't know if MIA or FLL will be cheaper.

Yeah I would keep reading the threads, and asking specific questions.

I would think that flying into Miami would be better if you are leaving from there. You might have to factor in car rental if going into Ft Lauderdale. Or at least an expensive cab ride? Not sure.

We usually fly into Orlando and leave out of Port Canaveral.

We've done three Disney cruises, and are booking a fourth now. If you have any questions let me know. Im also originally from FL so can help out if you have questions about that as well.

Have fun on your cruise!!

The best advice I can give, you will probably not be able to take. I certainly couldn't before my first cruise and I'm still not perfect at it on my 12th....

DON'T OVERPACK

Seriously - you really don't need much and if you run out of clothes, it's easy to do a load of laundry. It's a casual vacation for the most part (see threads on appropriate dinner attire - but it's NOT super fancy). If you wear a pair of khakis or a sun dress to dinner for 2 hours - you CAN WEAR IT AGAIN. Seriously. Bring a nice outfit to wear on formal night if you are doing the 7 night or to wear to Palo/Remy. My husband brings his suit and 3 dress shirts and a few ties. I bring dresses that can be balled up in a suitcase and come out looking perfect. I bring ONE PAIR OF DRESSY SHOES and ONE PURSE. (It can be done.)

You will spend most of your time in shorts or a bathing suit. You don't need 12 pairs of shoes and 4 changes of outfits each day.

It's hard....but it was SO LIBERATING once I finally got good at not overpacking.

Kathi

Just price them both. We flew into FLL because that's where Southwest flies to. Took a shuttle to a Miami (downtown) hotel, and a cab to the port. Shuttle was $13-15/per person (or you can get a car service for about $80 total) and the cab to the port was about $15, including tip.

A cab from the airport to the POM is $24. There are a lot of cheaper hotels near the Miami airport (also by FLL).

It's all do-able.

Nancy

I was glad that I:

1. Ate most of my dinners at Topsiders instead of in the MDR. You don't have to go during your assigned seating time. It doesn't take as long. And, it is far more casual.

2. Did the submarine excursion in Cozumel. It was one of the most amazing experiences I have had in my life.

3. Spent the time together as a family instead of letting my daughter spend all her time in the kids club. We share memories that I wouldn't take a million dollars for.

4. Bought every single one of those pics from Shutters. Yes, they are very expensive, but now they are priceless to me.

5. Completely did away with all diets and eating restrictions for all of us for the entire cruise. The food is great. Eat! Eat everything you want and worry about losing the weight when you get home.

6. Snuck 24 Mt. Dews in a box that I mailed to the ship ahead of time. I know I may get flamed for this one, but I don't care. I hate Coke. I don't drink coffee. I have to have my Mt. Dew to get going. It is the only soda my family drinks. The ship doesn't even offer Mellow Yellow, which is Coke's equivalent to Mr. Dew. If there is something that your family likes to drink that isn't offered on the ship, try to send it in box that you mail to the ship prior to date you board.

I was glad that I:

1. Ate most of my dinners at Topsiders instead of in the MDR. You don't have to go during your assigned seating time. It doesn't take as long. And, it is far more casual.

2. Did the submarine excursion in Cozumel. It was one of the most amazing experiences I have had in my life.

3. Spent the time together as a family instead of letting my daughter spend all her time in the kids club. We share memories that I wouldn't take a million dollars for.

4. Bought every single one of those pics from Shutters. Yes, they are very expensive, but now they are priceless to me.

5. Completely did away with all diets and eating restrictions for all of us for the entire cruise. The food is great. Eat! Eat everything you want and worry about losing the weight when you get home.

6. Snuck 24 Mt. Dews in a box that I mailed to the ship ahead of time. I know I may get flamed for this one, but I don't care. I hate Coke. I don't drink coffee. I have to have my Mt. Dew to get going. It is the only soda my family drinks. The ship doesn't even offer Mellow Yellow, which is Coke's equivalent to Mr. Dew. If there is something that your family likes to drink that isn't offered on the ship, try to send it in box that you mail to the ship prior to date you board.

No need to sneak. You may carry aboard whatever beverages you like. You were lucky that they didn't refuse the package as no food or drink is supposed to be in those packages mailed ahead.

No need to sneak. You may carry aboard whatever beverages you like. You were lucky that they didn't refuse the package as no food or drink is supposed to be in those packages mailed ahead.

For me, at the time of our first cruise, putting the soda in the carry on was not an option. I was a single mother, traveling with my small children. My small carry on had to hold all the things that my whole family would need that day, medications etc., in case our luggage was late getting to our room. And, I had to keep it light enough to manage it and the kids, knowing that there was a possibility that I may not get to put it in the room until after 1:00. There was no way I could have included 24 Mt. Dews in that carry on bag. There was nothing in the mailed box that I would have died without. If it had not been delivered to my room, I would have been disappointed but I would have survived. It was definitely worth a try for me. In fact, I have done it for all my cruises and I will continue to do it. I know that the moral police on here will have a stroke over it, but it's not like I smuggled a gun or drugs on board.

For me, at the time of our first cruise, putting the soda in the carry on was not an option. I was a single mother, traveling with my small children. My small carry on had to hold all the things that my whole family would need that day, medications etc., in case our luggage was late getting to our room. And, I had to keep it light enough to manage it and the kids, knowing that there was a possibility that I may not get to put it in the room until after 1:00. There was no way I could have included 24 Mt. Dews in that carry on bag. There was nothing in the mailed box that I would have died without. If it had not been delivered to my room, I would have been disappointed but I would have survived. It was definitely worth a try for me. In fact, I have done it for all my cruises and I will continue to do it. I know that the moral police on here will have a stroke over it, but it's not like I smuggled a gun or drugs on board.

And when enough people abuse the system, DCL will stop offering it. :sad2:

And when enough people abuse the system, DCL will stop offering it. :sad2:

Like I said in my post, I know that the morals police on here would flame me, but the original post asked what we were glad we did. I am glad that I sent that soda in that box. Now, if you have REALLY never in your life done anything, at any time, for any reason, that has broken any rule that you were aware of, then let me complement you on being perfect. Otherwise, your opinion of what I did is totally irrelevant to me.

gssmks said:
Like I said in my post, I know that the morals police on here would flame me, but the original post asked what we were glad we did. I am glad that I sent that soda in that box. Now, if you have REALLY never in your life done anything, at any time, for any reason, that has broken any rule that you were aware of, then let me complement you on being perfect. Otherwise, your opinion of what I did is totally irrelevant to me.

Hey, I totally get it. My hubby parked while I brought 3 young kids into the boarding area with all of our carryons. It was miserable because my case of water and 2 bottles of alcohol in my bag were SO heavy. But, skipping the morals police piece (because I do get it), the no drinks in the shipments is in case they break and get on everyone else's stuff. I'd be annoyed by that if my stuff were covered in MD. Glad it all worked out though!!

As for the original question, I'm glad I brought my own alcohol. I'm glad I sent the kids to the kids club to eat at Palo. I'm glad I didn't follow ANY schedule other than dinner. I'm glad I stayed on the ship in port at least once. I'm glad I ate ice cream every single day. :)

It can be overwhelming but please, please enjoy it. Take some time in the evening to go onto the promenade deck and look out into the dark inky water. When I took it all in, things turned around for me.

Also allow yourself to do all the activities or nothing at all. The first few cruises we didn't do many activities but we were busy non stop on our last one. In both instances we had a wonderful time.

It's not a question of morals. It's a question of consideration. Would you still feel glad about that box if one of the cans exploded and leaked on someone elses box perhaps ruining the contents? Would you still feel glad about that box if you knew that your rule-breaking was the one who made it impossible for anyone to ship things ahead?

I'm glad to

* get to the port early
* have swimsuits and enjoy the fresh clean pool and chicken tenders first thing on board
before the pools get crowded
* I brought my IPOD with a mini speaker thingy to listen to our vacay music in our cabin while getting ready and also I listened up on deck(earphones) LOL
* Get the teens to the 411 meet on the first night
* Order room service - a lot
* Brought our wine to enjoy on the verandah
* I'm glad I participated in the meet thread and FE
* I wish I would have done more breakfast/lunches at sit down. I was always laying out at the pool or one deck above (love it) But I see the food pics on the food thread and see what I missed ;)

* Never miss Dreams. I cry every single time and the last cruise I looked
at my daughter and she was crying too. :cloud9:

Things you wish you knew(or glad you did) for your first DCL cruise?

That the shows come before late seating dinner. Missed the first night's show because of this. However, I violated the first rule of cruising by not studying the Navigator the minute we got to our stateroom when we boarded, or we would have known.
As frequent cruisers on other lines, that Disney difference caught us off guard. Still not a fan of that, especially on port days. On other cruises the 5-7:30 pm time for us is nap time, and cleanup for dinner time. Felt rushed to get ready for the show at 630 pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter