• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Things you see driving around your neighborhood.

Mickey'snewestfan

DIS Veteran
Yesterday, we were driving to my son's football game, following two big black SUV's. We were merging into a traffic circle, at a place where the cars usually "zipper" merge, and another car tried to come in between the two, the back SUV's red and blue lights came on, making it clear it was a "chase" vehicle and not going to be separated from the vehicle in front. The other car stopped, and the two SUV's went off together.

Because of all the high government officials, and diplomatic officials, this is a pretty common sight in my neighborhood, as are longer motorcades. The most uncommon part was that someone tried to go between them, most people know that two black SUV's won't want to be separated. It's more common to see the lights come on if a light turns yellow while the first car is committed to an intersection.

So what do you see that people in other parts of the country probably don't?

Guy up the road had zebras, and there used to be an albino deer running around in the same neighborhood.

wild turkey's strolling around next to the road, deer along the side of the highway and an occasional moose.

well, not QUITE in the neighborhood, but, on the way to DD15's band competition yesterday, on the highway about 10 miles from home, we saw a guy walking along with his bicycle, and he was wearing a superman cape! lol

I work on a military installation-i regually see things that would freak people who worked at the bank down town out. Its common to see squads of soldiers in "full battle rattle" in the parking lot of our building. Some years ago i looked out the window of my office to discover my building was the objective of an assult. And the best one-littler PT-six guys carrying a 7th on a stretcher-only the 'victim' was sitting up cross legged, smoking a cigarette, drinking a pepsi and cheerfully waving at passing cars-at 630 in the morning-in December-in Colorado.

In the neighborhood that I used to live in, they have the "Cove Pig". This is a well populated neighborhood, not rural by any standards and there have been two Cove pigs in the last few years. They caught one and now there is another one.

Horse riding right down the middle of the street and then subsequently big piles of horse poo on my daily walk.

Also my neighbors who mow their lawn, at night, in the dark. :confused3 I guess I hear it more than see it.

There's also a goat that's always tied to this metal pole on a major street. :upsidedow

I live in the boonies. Clearly. ;)

We see this frequently around our neighborhood in December. This picture was taken at our favorite bar-b-que restaurant last year - guess even Santa likes their famous Z-Man sandwich!

IMGP1136_zpsc4aecf3d.jpg

Not in my neighborhood....but going to an Oakland A's game, on the freeway a few miles from the stadium, my son looks at some guy running along the frontage road from 2 cop cars.....dog jumps out of the back of a police car, takes the guy down. To which my son exclaims..."that guy just got owned by a police dog"

Once we saw a Bugati fly by us (car costs about $850,000). :cool2: It was going so fast, we couldn't even read the name of the car and had to google it.

And we have peacocks in our town - although thankfully, the loudmouth who lived in the tree outside our bedroom window 3 springs in a row stopped coming by a couple years ago. I had come to dread spring, when the peacock would start screaming every morning at 4 a.m.

Oh and there is a guy who lives somewhere in the neighborhood who walks around (or runs) on stilts - not the wooden type, the metal springy ones. :thumbsup2

.....dog jumps out of the back of a police car, takes the guy down. To which my son exclaims..."that guy just got owned by a police dog"[/QUOTE]

We had out local "town day" this weekend. Lots of local vendors, food samples, fire department has their trucks out to look out etc. there was supposed to be an appearance by our town's police dog and he was going to do a demonstration. My son was super excited because he loves to see Chuck at work. We asked the police when/where we could see Chuck and he said he is on disability for 3 weeks. Turns out Chuck was super excited about going on a call and was running in circles and bit his tail really bad. He had to have it cauterized and his tail put in a cast so he's stop moving it!

Lots of motorcades, presidential and otherwise.

Lots of filming of movies, tv, etc.

The most singular to NYC thing you can see I think is the cops moving cars around. They drive caravans of like 20+ squad cars, plus ESU vehicles, vans, etc., all with the lights going (not sirens), go up and down highways, avenues sometimes, etc. It's a bit weird looking - like a disturbing yet festive parade.

Not in my neighborhood....but going to an Oakland A's game, on the freeway a few miles from the stadium, my son looks at some guy running along the frontage road from 2 cop cars.....dog jumps out of the back of a police car, takes the guy down. To which my son exclaims..."that guy just got owned by a police dog"

HA-HA!
Leaving an A's game one night last season, we were stopped on a street right outside the stadium when we saw 2 girls screaming and swinging at each other! They had gotten out of 2 different cars and were really going at it. A couple of guys pulled them apart. We were able to drive away before there was any more action.
That's Oakland for you!

The local dentists has about 12 emu's. We have no clue why, he also used to have a llama that he kept penned up with them. I've seen people ride their horses to high school, a few of them did on Cowboy Day during homecoming. They rode them between classes to get across our very small campus, and hitched them to the doors. You see a lot of marijuana plants in peoples back yards. The mountain lion is fairly present, and the bear comes down every couple of years. Or at least the different generations do. The turkeys climb on top of peoples houses, so that's a normal sight.

We're a very small... eclectic town. ;) :goodvibes :rotfl2:

All this sounds interesting compared to where I live...

We get the occasional 500lb wild boar in our yard. But mostly driving down the road your likely to yield to a lawn mower crossing an intersection (happens all the time)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

All this sounds interesting compared to where I live...

We get the occasional 500lb wild boar in our yard. But mostly driving down the road your likely to yield to a lawn mower crossing an intersection (happens all the time)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

See those would be interesting in our area! I took my city child to stay at a country house owned by family friends once when he was about 7. I sent him out to play but he came running back inside to tell me there was a killer wild animal outside growling at him.

Outside there was a doe, standing still a good 200 yards away. In the background was the noise of a ride on mower. Apparently this combination was terrifying.

We frequently see Amish driving their horse and buggy. Some businesses have designated horse and buggy parking areas.

The people across the street hold church services in their garage every Thursday night. They also have Oktoberfest every year. My favorite was the year they rented a port-a-potty.

We have a lot of "unusual" people who walk/walked around our town.

We used to have a guy I called "Redman"" because he would walk literally ALL over town dressed entirely in red. In the summer red t-shirt, shorts, socks, sneakers. In the winter red hat, jacket, sweat pants, and boots or sneakers (depending on the weather). He would also be talking to himself....this is a while back before the days where people were using wireless devices to talk on their cellphones so they intially appeared to be talking to themselves. I haven't seen him in a while.

We also had a lady who used to walk around town who would confuse everyone coming up behind her. She was very thin, with long red hair always dressed in a somewhat provocative and walked in a very spry manner. Looked like a pretty hot-looking young girl from behind. But when you saw her from the front...OMG! She was about 90!!!!! With the long red wig and the Frederick's of Hollywood wardrobe. I haven't seen her in awhile either, so I'm wondering if something happened to her as she was fairly elderly.

Then there was the lady who walked everywhere for MILES. I'd see her in my town. I'd see her walking in towns that were 20-30 minutes from my town in areas where it wasn't like she drove there and then walked around the town...you just knew she had walked from wherever she lived to there. She weighd about 80 lbs....probably because she walked 100 miles every day!

The town's high school has a llama farm...they have a vo-ag program. Every onvce in a while I see some turkeys wander through, deer, rabbits, the occasional fox....the usual animals.

There's people who live on Main Street who have a flagpole in front of their house and it has a huge red flower on top instead of a flag. Kind of looks like a poinsettia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter