• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Things to do/ places ro eat at Hilton Head

lilmrsellis

Wishing upon a star...
We are going to Hilton Head for vacation at the end of August. We have 5 adults and 2 kids (3 & 1). We're looking for things to do and see as well as places to eat. None of us have ever been there. Ideas?

We love Hilton Head. Some of our favorite places to eat are The Sea Shack, Low Country Backyard, Roastfish and Cornbread and Frankie Bones.

Love Hilton Head! Our fave meal is always breakfast. The 2 places we love are Skillets (crab cakes Benedict) and Stacks pancakes (Creme brûlée French toast). A great pace to go with the kids on a rainy day is The Sandbox, it has fun kids activities and my daughter loved it. There is a little Italian eatery in Shelter Cove, I can't remember the name of it but it was really good. They have a lot of fun activities going on for the locals all the time, check the paper or the website. Oh, and you need to get your kids a Salty Dog Cafe shirt!

We go to HHI every year and we have several must do's regarding food and specials.
#1 One Hot Mama's after 4pm on Thursday Kids Eat Free
#2 On Tuesday's kids eat free at Reilley's (Reilley's Signature Sirloin is to die for!)
#3 Mangiamo's used to have half price cheese pizza on Wednesday but call and confirm that one.
#4 If you like Mexican, Jalapenos just over the bridge was awesome! Try the Horchata to drink, it's a traditional Mexican drink. The food was very authentic.
#5 For Seafood you can try the Sea Shack and Roastfish and Cornbread. The Sea Shack is great for carry out and be prepared to WAIT, and the latter is more of the traditional dining experience. Both are fantastic for sea food.
#6 We loved Paulie's Coal Fired Pizza, the eggplant parmesan pizza was yummy!
#7 Wild Wing Café is great with kids, it's kind of noisy, you can catch a game and their menu is large.
#8 If you can get ready early, Frankie Bones and Marley's both have reasonable early bird specials that we would recommend.
#9 If you take no other suggestion off of this post PLEASE JUST GET YOUR ICE CREAM FROM HILTON HEAD ICE CREAM!!! You will not be sorry. It is on New Orleans Rd and a little tricky to find but well worth the effort!
Hope this helps, PM me if you have any specific questions and have fun!!

My parents live there...it is SO MUCH FUN...we leave to go on Sunday!

You have to go see Greg Russel sing in Sea Pines! My kids love it and it is so much fun. http://www.greggrussell.com/

Shannon Tanner also sings at Shelter Cove
http://www.shannontanner.com/

We love to go to Mi Tierra - it is a great authentic Mexican restaurant and reasonably priced.

Its fun to shop at Coligny Plaza - they have a great fudge shop.

Those are the things my kids beg to do every year. We usually hang out at the beach and swim in the Westin Pool. The great thing about HH is that it is really laid back and fun!

We are going for the 1st time next month. Any must do activities?

Hope its ok to ask a question on OP's thread.

We have always done an ecotour, kayaking, and we always take a day to go to Savannah. It's only a half hour drive, and well worth the time.

Have only been there once, but the guy who does the dolphin tours told us for the freshest local seafood to go to Hudson's. He said all the other places ship in their seafood. Now since I didn't try any of the other places, I really can't compare them, but the seafood at Hudson's was great! I should state that Hudson's is not the type of restaurant that you go to for ambiance. ;)

We used to go to Hilton Head every year but it has been a few years since I have been there. LOVE IT!! One of our favorite places to go. We usually stay down close to Coligny and love to go shop at Coligny plaza. Look for a free guide to Hilton Head that will let you know what is going on during the current month you are there. There are fireworks, kids music, and different events you can go to.

We love going down to the Salty Dog in Sea Pines and listen to music, have some appetizers, drinks and shop. You can also see the boats.

Lots to do on Hilton Head and very pretty. You can rent bikes and lots of good trails to go on.

Have fun!!

Where are you staying?

People use golf carts but they aren't widespread - you would never take them outside of your community. The island is fairly large and you wouldn't be able to go very far in them.

Another vote for Hudson's here. I agree with previous poster, not the greatest of ambience, but fresh seafood and good hush puppies too.

Hi all! Sorry for also jumping in on this thread but we're wanting to go to Hilton Head but aren't sure which part of the island is best to stay on? We have heard Port Royal is fantastic but not as big of waves because of the inlet. ALso heard South Beach is great. Ideas? Tips? Hints? We've never been there and are yearly Outer Banks vacationers. Thanks!

LowCountry Backyard BBQ is a fin atmosphere with great food. The kids will be entertained with the backyard games.
For entertainment, we like to spend some time at Coligny listening to The Steppjn' Stones. They are such talented young kids. It makes for a relaxing summer evening.

We go to HHI every year and we have several must do's regarding food and specials.
#1 One Hot Mama's after 4pm on Thursday Kids Eat Free
#2 On Tuesday's kids eat free at Reilley's (Reilley's Signature Sirloin is to die for!)
#3 Mangiamo's used to have half price cheese pizza on Wednesday but call and confirm that one.
#4 If you like Mexican, Jalapenos just over the bridge was awesome! Try the Horchata to drink, it's a traditional Mexican drink. The food was very authentic.
#5 For Seafood you can try the Sea Shack and Roastfish and Cornbread. The Sea Shack is great for carry out and be prepared to WAIT, and the latter is more of the traditional dining experience. Both are fantastic for sea food.
#6 We loved Paulie's Coal Fired Pizza, the eggplant parmesan pizza was yummy!
#7 Wild Wing Café is great with kids, it's kind of noisy, you can catch a game and their menu is large.
#8 If you can get ready early, Frankie Bones and Marley's both have reasonable early bird specials that we would recommend.
#9 If you take no other suggestion off of this post PLEASE JUST GET YOUR ICE CREAM FROM HILTON HEAD ICE CREAM!!! You will not be sorry. It is on New Orleans Rd and a little tricky to find but well worth the effort!
Hope this helps, PM me if you have any specific questions and have fun!!

At Wild Wings kids eat free the whole month of July with an adult purchase.

We always have a rental house in Palmetto Dunes and we like to cook a lot of seafood.

Don't miss Barnacle Bills seafood stand, about a mile east of Shelter Cove on 278

He has all kinds of fresh seafood and a limited amount of produce. In a weeks vacation we will usually visit Barnacle Bills at least 3 times.

:thumbsup2 Count me in as a yearly Hilton Head visitor! We have a timeshare at Waterside right next to Coligny Plaza...Look up Spinnaker Resorts and you will find them..they always do great deals for vacationers! Fully stocked kitchen so you can shop for food and do some great cooking...

My must go to and eat place?: The Frosty Frog Cafe in Coligny Plaza! Frosty Frog all the way! It is tucked in a corner, but oh my the food and the frozen drinks!!!! Think 7-11 Slushie machines with alcohol! I have yet to try all the drinks in a weeks time but maybe in Feb.. If nothing else get a Pond Water! It is all the drinks mixed into one and is a good nights sleep if nothing else...

Also, make sure to peruse the shop of Black Market Minerals also in Coligny...this is where I buy a years supply of incense...and my daughter loves the jewelry--prices aren't bad either.

Certainly take the drive to Savannah, but also make the trip out to Tybee Island (outside of Savannah) and climb the Lighthouse--the view is gorgeous!

Take the time to just walk the beach...but be warned, if you start at about 5 pm or after and love to walk, the dark may catch you! (Been there done that) and believe me---the beach is very dark at night due to the restriction of lights (protecting the nesting sea turtles) Make sure to know the marker number that you came onto the beach at..

When you are looking for Wal-Mart or any type of shopping or restaurants---all of the signs are low to the ground and tucked into the trees--so you may find yourself doing u-turns--and be careful of the traffic circle on the south end--just make sure to always use your turn signal when leaving the circle....
Hilton Head Diner is a great place for a really good burger.

Plenty of Mini Golf on the island also! My favorite is Pirate's Cove!

Enjoy your trip! Enjoy the laid back atmosphere of the island..you will become addicted!:goodvibes:goodvibes

Any cake/bakery suggestions? My dad's birthday is the day before we leave so we're celebrating there. At a glance I'm leaning towards Publix. We don't have one anywhere near here, but I always hear people rave about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter