• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Things to bring when touring the parks

i bought a Camelpak last year and was one of the best things i've ever bought. it saves me carrying bottles round the park which can be heavy.

We've done it both ways and I agree with the "travel as light as possible" group unless your budget is exceptionally tight. Also, I favor the umbrella style stroller for the little ones. Are those still available anywhere? So much easier to get around with them, and we didn't miss the cupholder (used my hand) or the storage rack (plastic bag tied to the handle).

Good to know that a drawstring backpack is not an issue with the rides.

:thumbsup2

A drawstring backpack would definitely not be an issue on rides. For 8 days I had a full sized backpack stuffed pretty full and had zero issues with it on any ride. We were in the parks from rope drope til closing time the last week in October so we needed to have sweatshirts, not an issue.

DSLR camera and associated gear (extra lenses, flash, spare battery, memory cards).

Credit card and park ticket.

Anything else has to be able to fit in the camera bag. And the only other thing I REALLY want is some chapstick and my compact. Sunglasses stay on top of head.

On our last trip, there were several days we didn't carry any bag. I wore cargo shorts from Old Navy, so I had a few pockets to work with. Stuffed rain poncho in one, Chapstick and Tic Tacs in another. I carried or wore my camera around my neck and I had a little pouch from our travel agent that I wore around my neck with my KTTW and a bit of cash - but those would have just as easily fit in my pocket. I also brought along my resort mug to refill at water fountains and clipped it to the belt loop on my shorts with a carabiner when not in use.

Great suggestions! I love our fanny packs, I have neck and back issues and can't stand the weight of a bag. I have a jumbo size fanny pack when I am taking our big camera in the parks and a WDW fanny pack when I am carring a smaller camera. The WDW fanny pack is actually bigger than most you will find other places. I don't like looking for a water fountain or standing in line when I want a drink. I usually carry a small water bottle that fits fine in the fanny pack. We bought a bunch of screw on filter tops for water bottles off of ebay, they get rid of the nasty FL water taste pretty well and refill them throughout the day. Also we have some collapsable water bottles that are a great space saver, they just don't have the filter. During the day I always include sunscreen and sunglasses. In the evening if I don't feel like carring a camara, I just stick my room key and a couple of advil in my pocket. I love not carrying any bag!!

One other thought...when the weather starts getting warmer I always carry a small folding fan. We got a really cheap one a few years back in China at the World Showcase that folds up and takes up very little space.

I bring my wallet, my tickets and my small camera (about the size of a cigarette pack. That's it! Anything else I need I can purchase when I need it. I hate carrying things around. I always need to have my hands free for some deep dark psychological reason that I don't understand. I do use a small fanny pack to carry those things in. I always know where it is and it is closed tightly. I don't want to worry about pickpockets.

Someone mentioned band aids. Not a bad idea, I guess, but the one time I needed one I just stopped into first aid where they cleaned the wound and supplied the bandage at no charge. Why carry them when they are so readily available.

Hand sanitizer, in my mind, is a huge waste of time. You could be constantly applying it if you are that germaphobic. There isn't a place to touch that doesn't have the potential to be a problem. I just let my immune system take care of things. It has never let me down yet.

I do understand the need for a backpack especially if you are traveling with very young children, which is why I never did. All I can ever think is what a drag on ones energy to haul all that stuff around all day. Water? I'll pay the 2.50 per bottle rather then drag that stuff around all day. I know...I'm playing right into Disney's hands on that, but so be it.

Btw...my little tiny Casio takes this kind of quality photo....

CIMG0092.jpg

CIMG0062.jpg

We carry our KTTW cards, a little cash, a very small camera and an epi-pen and benedryl for DS...That's it. If we have a VERY cold morning and need coats, we rent a locker and stash the stuff. Once or twice we went during real RAIN, and we took dry clothes to change into after the rain stopped and we rented a locker for that too. WE will carry a small waist pack or a very small body bag.

As a solo traveler myself, I've learned that the lighter you can travel, the better.

I have capris and jeans with cargo pockets. In the pockets, I carry a wallet, some individual hand wash towelettes, an individually packaged Off towelette (if the weather is warm enough that mosquitos could be an issue) and if I have a camera, a couple extra batteries and a ziploc baggie to keep it dry if needed. The camera is around my neck, and that's all I take. I can bypass bag check and head right into the park.

In January, you won't get the daily rain showers, but if a front is coming through you could have a drizzly day or two. You'll have a better idea of when the rain is coming to know whether you need to carry the poncho or not for weather reasons (if you want to carry it daily for wet rides, that's different). I have a nylon poncho I take with me in the summer that folds fairly small. On the days I think I'll need it, I carry an Overland Express Donner bag. It has two water bottle holders and a huge center compartment, and organized compartments on the outside.

January is not a bad time to rent a locker. Sometimes it's cold enough for a jacket in the morning and evening, but the daytime is warm enough to go without. Putting the jacket in a locker is better than dragging it around with you all day.

Keys and wallet. I'm surprised still at all the stuff people take into the parks. I can't imagine the need to wear the huge back pack that so many take along.

In all our 45 trips to WDW, we've never used any backpack....we're not going on safari....carrying around alot of stuff you may never use is senseless.....

There's plenty of water in all the parks, no need for water bottles or anything of the sort....poncho's....usually only rains for a short period in the afternoon.....we only take them then if it's forecasted or just duck inside for the quick shower....

Basically all you really need is, as you said, is your cameras, room key card, maybe a little cash and that's it......we use small hip bags occasionally....bought the wife a bagellini few trips back, overkill....too big and not necessary.....

The lighter you go the more happier you'll be.....no locker is necessary either...we always break from the parks around noon.....so no sense hauling half the room with us.....maybe sunscreen if you must is the only other incidental but if no children are with you, don' make yourself a pack mule....plenty of restrooms for hand washing......just our way to make the journey carefree and troubless....

I used to bring tons of stuff and never used it. Now I try the somewhat minimalist approach.

I still were a back-pack and brings a few small snacks, towel, wipes, 1 drink each and a flashlight.

There's few things better than breezing past the bag check line (at least when crowded- it rather looses the thrill when the guards are just standing around bored) so I pack as light as possible. KTTW, a spare credit card and ID, camera, and sun screen. My sunglasses go on my head or in my hand depending on the ride and if needed a jacket gets tied around my waist. If I do a wet ride (SpM wet, not KRR wet) then I air dry. Though I don't remember what I did with my camera last time on splash. So maybe a ziplock for that. But that's it!

Sunglasses in a case (switch them out with my real glasses so they can't go on my head)
Room Key
less than $5 cash
small camera
chapstick

I put all of this into an over/the shoulder flat wallet-type thing I bought at Eddie Bauer 5 years ago. Very, very lightweight. And in a color that's not "girly" so I can have DH or DS carry it for me when needed.

In all our 45 trips to WDW, we've never used any backpack....we're not going on safari....carrying around alot of stuff you may never use is senseless.....
Basically all you really need is, as you said, is your cameras, room key card, maybe a little cash and that's it......we use small hip bags occasionally....bought the wife a bagellini few trips back, overkill....too big and not necessary.....

QUOTE]

I agree! :rotfl::rotfl:I go solo several times a year and with family maybe twice a year. I wouldn't be caught dead in cargo shorts/capris/pants around here, but they are ideal for WDW and Universal. I bought several pairs a few years ago and love them for the parks. My small camera goes in one side pocket, my cell phone in another, and then I have a clear wallet divider thingy that holds ID, KTTW card, CC, AP, TiW card, and a $20.00 bill that is zipped into a front pocket, along with a small lip balm. Sunglasses go on my head. If not wearing cargo shorts, I have a small Vera Bradely all in one wristlet that still holds all of that and fits into a regular pocket with the strap attached to a belt loop. I hate bag lines and love being able to skip them. The first time I went bagless, I was a little nervous that I might need something and not have it. After that first day, I realized it was the only way to travel and haven't looked back. lol

You mentioned going on safari in your post.:rotfl: When I was there Nov 26th-Dec 4th, I was at AK in line for the safari, when I noticed the family right in front of me. All four (mom, dad, and two maybe 12-14 y/o's) had these humoungous backpacks that were totally stuffed. The kids just had the regular big packbacks like they probably used for school, but both parents had these really huge camping like backpacks that came all the way up above their necks to the base of their heads and down midhip. Again all four backpacks looked like they were heavy and totally stuffed. I couldn't help but wonder what all they had in those things. The parents looked like they could have had a week's worth of clothes and camping supplies. They looked so heavy and hot. I guess the couple right behind me saw the look on my face, because they leaned toward me, pointed at them, laughed, and made a comment like, "Do you think they thought this a real two week safari?":rotfl: I noticed they were bagless too, so made the comment that I just didn't understand why people carry those big ole bags into the parks.:rotfl: They agreed. We then looked around and noticed alot of people that were carrying ridicously large bags. The rest of the week I paid attention and was shocked at the huge stuff people were carrying around the parks. I saw several couples that were each carrying a big back pack.

I'm taking my 3 y/o GS to WDW in Feb, so will have to carry a small bag for him and am already dreading it. We'll still be traveling lighter than most folks though (small suncreen, tiny hand sanitizer, a few snacks, one extra outfit in case he wants to play in a splash fountain, a couple of hot wheels, some pipe cleaners, and then my usual small camera, cell phone, and divider thingy with CC, AP, TiW, KTTW cards, and a little cash). I'll pick up a bottle of water each day in the park for him and keep it in the stroller or else just get a free cup of ice water from a CS restaurant.

i hate being bogged down with stuff aswell. last year we took a bum bag (fanny pack) and all it had in it was my camera, my sun glasses and my mobile. anything else went in my husbands pockets!
we also had a strap to put a water bottle on, which i tied to my shorts.
we like to travel light but i think if we had to take more i would have preferred a draw string bag, but to be fair all the rides at disney allow you to take any bags on so it doesn't really matter.

Haven't seen moleskin on this thread yet....I travel with it cut in various sizes. Saved my daughter's heels and some poor stranger who wore flip flops in the park and I gave some too.

Here's what works for us.

A small to medium size day pack -- not too big or it is problematic holding the bag on some rides. And who wants to lug a bunch of stuff you don't need? Think like a backpacker - travel lite. The lighter you travel, the better... especially when it's hot.

Get souvenirs early in your trip and have them sent to your Disney resort gift shop for free (if at Disney resort). So much easier than carrying.

Lightweight, packable jackets if visiting during times when it might get cold at night. The gore-tex type with hoods will keep you dry in rain too. Leave the bulky sweatshirts in the room or at home.

I don't bother with ponchos or umbrellas. Almost all the gift shops sell Disney umbrellas for $10. Small but does the job. WDW's ponchos are heavier material too so more durable (but heavier to carry too). I don't want to carry that stuff. When it rains briefly, I can just duck inside somewhere for a bit or spend the $10.

Please... no ponchos on water rides (Splash Mtn, Kali River Rapids...) you are supposed to get wet. :goodvibes We plan when to do those rides multiple times in a row and wear bathing suit (DW wears under shorts) and change later. Lightweight flip flops for the ride only.

Body Glide! I read about this here. It goes on like a stick antiperspirant and prevents chafing. After a lot of walking in 95-100 degree Sept. weather, it can get uncomfortable. Thank you Body Glide!

And a poster mentioned mole skin.... very important. bring extra socks too. You may be doing a LOT of walking. Check your feet a few times during the day for red hot spots... put the mole skin (sticky cushion bandage) on BEFORE a blister starts to form. When socks get hot/sweaty, change them. That causes blisters.

Comfortable shoes, more than 1 pair. It always amazes me when I see someone wearing heeled shoes at WDW???

A waterproof camera/videocamera. I like the Kodak Playsport. Inexpensive and does great videos and pics at the pool and on water rides. Can't take close up video though.

An extra camera. We are not always together so it's helpful to have an extra camera. Plus extra high capacity memory cards and batteries. Video burns up batteries. After each day, I change the memory card even if not full. That way if my camera is lost/stolen... I didn't lose all my memories.

Buy the photopass pre-visit offer. And look for the photopass photographers. They will take pictures with your camera but you can add some fun backgrounds to photpass pictures.

Disposable coffee cups with lids. Rushing out and didn't finish your coffee? Pour it into the disposable cup and take it with you on the bus to the parks.

REAL coffee. If you are a coffee snob like me and don't like Nescafe... bring your own. Resorts that have coffee makers in the room don't have filters so bring some small filters (round, flat).

Locker Rentals -- these are always at the front of the parks. If you are hopping... and rent a locker at 1 park... you get to use lockers at other parks for no extra charge.

Big heavy duty trash bag for putting dirty clothes in.

Baggies! I like the extra, extra large baggies. All kinds of uses.

Hand Sanitizer -- other people said it but this is critical for us with all the people who don't know how to wash their hands after using the bathroom.

Suntan lotion, bandaids, ibuprofen, etc... you can get these things free from a 1st aid station but easier to have on hand.

I don't pack any food or drink or snacks. This is vacation. We want popcorn, fresh baked pretzels, cotton candy, dole whips, coke floats....... not pre-packaged crackers and cookies. WDW has great snacks in the parks and very good food in most restaurants and even the quick serve stuff can be good.

I didn't think the drawstring backpack would be that great...I was SO wrong. I was able to fit a surprising amount of stuff in it, and it was so easy to deal with on rides. I actually did bring my mug with me into the parks, but that was mainly so I could have caffeine on the ride :lmao:. I had a poncho in there, too. I read about something called a "swimmers towel" that's smaller than a regular towel but very absorbent.

Found the thread. There's a lot of great sruff in here--I made a shopping list just from the suggestions. :)

I agree about the drawstring backpack. I bought a couple of very very inexpensive ones at Target so I don't feel bad when I'm throwing them under a seat or in the web holder of a ride. We travel to parks light. Hat (for sun), small trail size sunscreen, camera, poncho if rain predicted. Except for poncho, I can usually fit everything in mine or husbands pockets!

Haven't seen moleskin on this thread yet....I travel with it cut in various sizes. Saved my daughter's heels and some poor stranger who wore flip flops in the park and I gave some too.

I just had to comment! Moleskin is absolutely the very very best tip I received on these boards ever. I'm a believer. If you've never tried it, please do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter